23. Lucia
842 5 30
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Imperial Capital Ava

 

Lucia felt her life being challenged by fate lately.

In order to catch up with the lord’s entourage, she resigned from her old job and applied for a merchant household. At first, she was assigned to do menial tasks at the laundry room. Fortunately, when the madam saw that she is quite knowledgeable at some aspects, she decided to hire her as a maid for her daughter who was about to set off to the imperial capital.

The five silvers she managed to save are dangerously becoming thin. At this rate, she is most likely to starve before she could find the lord’s place. Fortunately, something unexpected happened before she was likely to go crazy from anxiety.

When her Miss brought her along for shopping, she happened to meet the person she needed to see the most.

"Miss Feldt has good taste," Madam Norn commended the young lady trying on a lavender dress. "The colour sets off your complexion perfectly along with this exquisite ash-grey fur muff."

She was told to take care of this girl from Lord Blackwood's mansion the moment she arrived for an appointment. Rarely does Madam Norn make a personal visit when it comes to the younger customers of her shop but exemptions have to be made if there was a request from a very important patron.

Inside the private fitting room, Beatrice let the assistants take her measurements and listen to the madam's suggestion about the latest designs and colour that would match her person. Her maid Lucia was sitting on the side awaiting the conclusion of her Miss's shopping.

The place they came to was probably the most elegant Lucia had been. Ava's number one frequented establishment for women. It has a wide selection of the latest and most fine creations catering to the people of the Circle. The interior is comparable to a noble house with its affluent decor.

Private fitting rooms were made for the most valued customers and there is even a wide lounge for their companions to comfortably pass the time while their companions see to their shopping.

A pity Lucia lost her status. But judging by the prices of items in this place, she doubted that even with her standing before she wouldn't be able to make it on the door. Her eyes unknowingly went to her Miss.

She was leisurely selecting a few satin and velvet cloth to be made into the design she desired. Madam Norn was patient enough answering all her questions and even gave useful suggestions. The two chatted as the number of things piled up and the designs on the drawing book occupied at least ten pages. Lucia wanted to remind her Miss that she had enough dresses for a year to last but stopped herself.

The Marquess Blackwood house does not lack the silver to support this faraway niece of her little hobby. She bit her lip and pressed down the envy rising from her belly.

How good it was to be born with wealthy relatives, she thought. Although she did not want to slander the Miss, their difference still made her bitter. Why is it that a county girl like her was taken in by a generous relative? On the other hand, she who was born to privilege and raised carefully had to end up this way…

Beatrice was still immersed in choosing when a new group arrived, making Madam Norn frantic all of a sudden. It was a beautiful woman waited upon by four maids and two gentlemen. Based on her appearance alone, one need not ask whether she is a member of the Circle or not. Regardless of the madam having other customers, she made a demand to attend to her right this moment.

Lucia recognized the woman and felt unprecedented joy. It seems luck is finally smiling back at her, the purpose of coming to this place is half achieved. She endured for two months and finally, she can see her bright future opening right before her eyes.

"Milady!"

Beatrice was done with her measurements for today and was already putting on her gloves and mantle when she noticed the commotion at the lounge. A woman in a heavy silver-grey dress fell on the carpet clutching her stomach.

"What is going on?"

The other ladies who also came to the shop were alarmed and dared not approach the encirclement after seeing who the young woman was.

"My stomach, ah! My child…" she cried out.

There was a flurry of movements from the attendants. They wanted to lift her up to bring her on the awaiting carriage while the others were warning people not to come over when suddenly someone spoke up from the panicked crowd.

"I… I can help!" it was a soft young voice of a maiden.

Beatrice's eyes widened like saucers seeing her maid bravely stepping up in front of the imposing guards. She wanted to pull her back but she did not know what this usually quiet and demure maid had eaten that she slapped her hand away and looked at her with a sneer.

Beatrice: Pardon?

"My name is Lucia Neu, I can heal her…"

Without waiting for the attendants to agree she plunged herself into the blockade of bodies and directly came in front of the suffering woman.

Lady Elisse held her stomach in distress. She can feel the little life inside slowly leaving her making her heart chill. No! She has to keep this child at all costs! The tearing pain was entwined with sorrow and anger.

"Please be at ease, milady. You will not lose your precious child."

Coming from above with a halo of light reflected from the stained glass window, a young woman came. Under the shocked eyes of everyone, Lucia held her hands towards the suffering person.

Lady Elisse was covered in coldness when she felt warm light pouring out from the person's palms vigorously transmitting heat towards her ravaged abdomen.

The young woman wearing the humblest maid's uniform performed a miracle without losing her composure.

On the other hand, Lucia felt the lady was watching her so she dared not try making any artificial movements. This is her only chance to get out of her current predicament. She must seize it!

Lady Elisse breathed in relief as the pain slowly faded. The crowd of onlookers stood amazed as her complexion gradually returned to normal and her situation turned for the better. The guards along with her attendants stood on the side waiting for their mistress to be healed. When everything was over, Lucia stood up receiving admiring gazes from people.

"Milady, how do you feel?" The oldest of the female escorts inquired anxiously.

Lady Elisse was helped by her people onto a velvet chair and then her lap was covered by a thick fleece blanket. Everyone tactfully withdrew when the events had concluded and returned to their respective activities.

There were only Madam Norn, Beatrice and her maid remaining in the large lounge now.

Among these three, she guessed that only Madam Norn was aware of her true identity.

She looked at Lucia, bypassing Beatrice and gave a smile. "I feel much better now, thanks to this young girl."

"I only did what I could," Lucia said primly.

"Presumptuous!" The head female attendant reprimanded, pointing at her nose.

Lucia was shaken by the rebuke. What did she do wrong?

Lady Elisse narrowed her eyes and leaned on the chair comfortably not saying anything. Naturally, the head female attendant knew her mistress's meaning and spoke her thoughts aloud.

"You will answer only if you are asked. Although you have helped our lady, this does not put you on equal footing as her to be able to speak freely."

Lucia bowed her head sadly. She had done her best to help but these ungrateful people would still use their status to overwhelm her? Isn't helping the most benevolent thing to do? How can they blame her despite what she did?

"My lady, please forgive my servant's offence. It is I as her master who had been too lenient with her teaching thus she became ignorant of the rules." Beatrice admitted wrong.  

Hearing an apology, the attendant looked at her mistress before giving a nod. "It is but a small thing, but we hope House Blackwood must be strict when it comes to imposing the rules on their servants to avoid embarrassment like such in the future."

"I will keep your words in mind." Beatrice bobbed her head but did not affirm. It wasn't her turn to agree in place of the marquess household nor for her lord uncle. Lucia did a brave thing today but she also broke the rules, she can only help as much and hope that the woman in front would feel benevolent knowing that she was saved by the same servant she was reprimanding.  

Someone who had the authority to drive plenty of noblemen away with a single gesture is no mere aristocrat. She suspects they stumbled upon a huge problem today.

But who would have expected that instead of being grateful for her move, Lucia felt insulted by her apology? She never reflected on her action and thought her Miss was only finding a reason to find faults.

At this moment, she resented Beatrice who was keen on defending her.

"I heard you are called Lucia Neu?" Lady Elisse fiddled with the edge of the soft blanket on her lap, amused at the play of emotion between the master and the servant in front.

She had no plan on dragging on the issue originally, it's just that this little maid performed more than she anticipated.

"I have once heard of an aristocrat surnamed Neu who served in the court of Dysi Kingdom."

Lucia blanched in fear after hearing it. Mentioning this was tantamount to a threat!

"Your eyes... How are you related to that former aristocrat from another kingdom?" The lady asked, satisfied with her reaction.

No! She did not expect that it was her most prized asset that would betray her soon. Ochre is a very rare eye colour that she inherited from her father. Many people said that her eyes were more beautiful than gems. But right now she felt these eyes were her curse.  

"Duke Neu was sentenced to death for smuggling unclean items from the Ruins of Lusca. It was a huge scandal known throughout the continent of Ourea. It had been five years and not much was heard from his family since then."

"M-Milady I--"

Lady Elisse pretended not to see her entanglement and turned her playful cat eyes to Beatrice. Like a huge feline seeing her favourite mice, she was happy teasing them with her claws. "Your own servant, do you know her origin?"

Beatrice, although her first time in the imperial capital was not lacking in fighting spirit. If there is anything she lacked, courage is not one of these. She had fought with several selfish relatives and jealous cousins since young so she knew exactly when she was being baited and mocked.

People who can make her fold can only be counted in one hand and that includes the Grand Duchess of Havenstorm. She already set the bar so high. This noblewoman's petty games are useless against her.  

"Her name is indeed Lucia, my lady. However, we have not seen her family name on the registry when she applied for the job. Her papers were credible and complete, that is why she was immediately hired by my mother." Beatrice answered mildly.

Lucia's papers included her border pass, identification as a citizen of Lattice Kingdom and her new registration here in Asturia. None of which showed her surname, her mother did not investigate further when she hired her as a maid and assumed that Lucia was like the other commoners with no surname. She was also surprised when she introduced herself a while ago!

Lady Elisse felt bored.

She thought this girl from the Blackwood house would give her good entertainment. Her response was so straight that she couldn't pick a flaw so she waved her hand airily, "Anyway, let us not delve into that. There is plenty of time. Let us talk about Lucia's brave act today. Thanks to her timely rescue, my child and I are now alright."

"I pray for the lady's speedy recovery."

"By the way, I have decided to compensate Lucia for her kindness to me." The lady added turning her sights back to Lucia who was silent on the side.

Upon hearing the good news finally, Lucia who was boiling with resentment did not feel relieved but afraid.

Did she make the wrong move?

 

Leaving Madam Norn's establishment was the same as stepping a foot away from the gallows for both women. Formally introducing herself as Queen Elisse Sybil did not give them any kind of awe but pressure.

Of all the places she had to appear to and have an accident it had to be this place. The consequences could have been disastrous if not for Lucia's bold move.

After the cold reprimand, the queen switched into sweetly expressing gratitude.

Beatrice still thinks the woman was petty and malicious though. And it wasn't joy she felt but disgust. She often heard her uncle and Dylan discuss politics at home in bluster and scoffs. No wonder those two could not keep up their civility, indeed some people above deserve some verbal lambasting.

She had no good impression of the queen before and she had the worst impression of her now. On the other hand, her maid seems to have been poisoned and now had her head up in the cloud after getting a few compliments.

With the queen's promised backing and her healing magic, Beatrice doubts she would stay by her side and continue serving as a maid. She had always sensed that though Lucia chose this job, she always had the look of unwillingness on her face. Sooner or later she will leave once the opportunity presents itself, which was proven to be correct soon.

It was no surprise when the little maid packed her belongings and followed the people the queen sent to collect her the next day. With a perfunctory goodbye and thank you, on she went to her bright future.

Beatrice sat calmly sipping her tea when cousin Dylan returned.

"Alone?"

She spread her hands in a helpless gesture. "Alas, you are right. I am now without a companion."

"I have heard."

Beatrice tilted her head on the side, "Do you think me foolish, cousin? I had a potential gem by my side yet I let go instead of pulling it in."

Dylan toyed with the gloves he took off from his hand then occupied one of the settees in front of her. He thought of her question and seemed to think over it carefully.

"Although powers are rare, we are not so desperate to recruit just about anyone," he said after hearing her soft sigh. Besides, who can tell them whether that woman was truly a gem or a slag?  

"Why? Do you think it was a waste losing her?"

She waved her hand as if shooing a fly. "Not quite so."

"We House Blackwood do not lack these talents. Leave the tedious things to me, I appreciate your thoughts though. Meanwhile, I will ask the butler to find someone agile and smart among our staff for your new maid."

Preferably someone with a clean mind. He always felt eerie about that maid named Lucia. Her manners and gestures had won praises from the household staff, so much that they began comparing Beatrice to her. It wasn't a huge deal at first until he noticed a problem.

They knew Beatrice was a relative from the countryside who wasn't quite favoured. Some staff grew guts to openly ridicule and even neglect her care. Perhaps thinking the lord and the heir would not mind them doing so since she was just a visitor.  

Unfortunately, they thought wrong.

The servants who started the murmurs and had done violations were quietly disciplined. If Dylan hadn't given a warning, it would only be a matter of time before they completely step on the girl's head.

"Find me a maid… so soon?" Beatrice's hand paused when lifting the teacup.

"Or else? How are you going to step out of the house without a chaperone?" He just knew how restless she is going from here to there. It would be worse to be seen strolling unattended.

Caring for a female family member was a lot more taxing than attending to his properties, he thought. At least his properties have a steward that manages it.

 

30