25. Some Facts and Lies
833 6 30
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

The group sat in a semicircle with Clayton and Ayan occupying the high table in the hall. None of the Thorns finds this gesture unusual but some of the staff Rodney bought were at a loss.

Didn't they say that the lord and lady are in an irreconcilable conflict and are close to announcing a divorce?

Some faces were hard to describe as of this moment.

Smoke rose from the hearth disappearing towards the small dormer windows on the roof. The heat it dispersed was just enough to warm the people.

Rodney was anxious to deliver his message but the lord's attitude also puzzled him. First, he listened to Kanon's report about the development in these past few months, some words were cryptic he couldn't quite grasp. The lord would nod his head occasionally then inquire about the current news from Ava.

None was hinted about Miss Lucia.

He also hadn't seen their master for more than two months and he too was startled by the huge turnover. He was healed, which was news to celebrate. Rodney thought of Miss Lucia's worried eyes, she would be ecstatic to know that the lord has recovered. He once again held firm to his decision to remind the lord of her letting him know that there is still someone waiting for him.

When the meeting concluded, he braved Kanon's stinging glare and approached. 

Ayan was beginning to worry about the children left in the inn. She asked Clayton if it really was necessary to take her with him and he said she must go to meet the Thorns. She had no idea of his arrangements but he told her to put her mind at ease and not to worry too much.

"Milord, may I have the permission to speak?" Rodney spoke from the side. 

Clayton looked at the steward who was in pins and needles, nodded his head curtly and gestured for him to follow outside. Rodney was the son of his former stablemaster who died because of lung disease. He felt sorry for the kid left by his old staff that is why he took him in. Fortunately for him, he can recognize words and is clever hence he was hired to manage the shop selling high-quality leathers back in the kingdom. 

The two of them did not go far, just a few steps away from the main door

Rodney was excited to report everything from their move from Lattice to their encounters throughout the journey. He was delighted that the lord listened to him, calculating the timing before the end of his summary he opened the topic. 

"Milord, about the arrangement for Miss Lucia…"

Clayton did not react. 

"All her papers were prepared accordingly to prepare her stay here in the empire..."

The reply he wanted to hear did not come, instead, the lord asked: 

"Do I know this person?"

Rodney was choked by the question. "That… she, she worked in the manor…" 

Clayton was still at a loss, seeing that he couldn't get a decent answer from this boy he turned to Kanon. 

Kanon bowed his head, "I believe the person he was referring to was the one we met back in the Lattice Kingdom during the raid at Percy's."

A woman?

Some vague memories came back to him. A little about two years ago when the notorious brothel run by a man named Percy was rectified by the court, he led a few soldiers to capture the man in the act and to seal off the place. A woman came up to him and thanked him for saving her, but as a knight, his responsibility lies in people in general not just to one person.

"She was hired in the manor," Kanon added.

Clayton's eyes narrowed dangerously. He was about to question how and when the security of his home had become so loose that just about anyone could step inside like a relative when he met a pair of grey eyes.

His heart stilled. Then trembled.

Rodney jumped in, "I followed as instructed by you milord. I escorted Miss Lucia throughout the journey and helped her settle her papers. She is now living in Ava..."

Clayton did not hear him, his attention was riveted to the silhouette inside the cottage.

"Apparently, before we could give her a--"

Clayton held up a hand. "Tell me again who gave this instruction."

"M-Milord…" At this moment, Rodney could feel there was something terribly wrong with the facts he knew of. "Miss Lucia… She gave me a letter of recommendation from the head butler at the manor. It was emphasized that we follow as milord instructed because she is your..." he dare not say more because he knew the lady of the house was here. And that was him already restraining himself. He was upset for the girl who was pitifully hoping for the lord to remember her that is why his tone was quite ironic. 

Kanon had a mocking smile. The head butler? He was let go before they even started the plan to move because he betrayed the lord! Simply put, that so-called nursemaid was sent by someone. Working for the Rozenbergs was just an excuse for that woman to jump into their entourage, create disturbance before climbing the lord's bed.

"I don't recognize her," Clayton emphasized in a frigid tone. 

Naturally, because she was just a hired help. Why would the marquess even remember her?

Rodney shook his head in denial. Most of the servants working outside have heard that the lord saved a woman before and intended to keep her as a mistress. Although Rodney could not believe it at first, the young marquess is a man after all. Beauty is a temptation few could resist. But he wasn't going to make the matter's worst by insisting.  

Kanon looked at the lord's face in a dark frown, it was becoming apparent that he was displeased. He thought Rodney would at least have a little capacity to see people's schemes provided that he is part of the staff. Unfortunately, this fool… 

Clayton ended the pointless conversation and returned inside. When he was gone, Kanon stepped forward giving Rodney an ultimatum. 

"My apologies for stepping out of line," he said with a clenched jaw.

Kanon turned his back briskly and left a sentence, "This is your last chance. Don't disappoint me."

 


 

Beck had nothing to do at this time so he volunteered to look after the twins when the couple went out to meet with acquaintances. He figured that Carmine and Raven needed a playmate to distract them from the absence of their parents.

He was expecting to see two crying bags when they were handed to him and had already mentally prepared himself to coax children when he saw they were smiling from ear to ear on their own.

"Who are they?" Schon asked when he saw two little heads poking behind Beck.

"These are my new friends, Carmine and Raven. Lads, say hello to big-- big brother Schon for me." 

"Hello!"  

Schon's eyebrow twitched. How could these two adorable children get involved with this… he looked at Beck from the soles of his tattered boots to the unruly flaxen hair as though he was some wicked human trafficker. His dark green eyes despite lacking sleep did not lack mischief. Last time, he was invited to visit him here at the inn to catch up but it seems the 'catching up' would have to be postponed. 

"Incorrigible." Turning his back, Schon was no longer inclined to stay.

"Hey, hey, where are you going? We haven't talked yet." Beck hurried, pulling his arm. 

"Talk when you are no longer occupied."

"Can you not be so stiff all the time? Such a waste of a good day to keep a frown like that. No wonder you're--" he was stopped by a dagger stare. 

"If you are so free yourself why don't you run back home? Your father had been looking for you. He was about to turn over the soil to see if you were hiding in between the cracks." 

Beck rubbed his nose, "Here you go again catching me off guard with a lecture. I sure missed that."

"I am being serious."

"Yes, yes I get that. You don't have to be so fierce. If I hadn' known you better I would think the old man sent you here to poke my conscience."

"You don't have one!"

They were beginning to attract attention from the crowd. Schon's warlock vestment was already eye-catching enough, seeing him argue with another man towing two children became an even brighter spectacle. 

To avoid further embarrassment, Beck helpfully tugged him to the side and executed his amazing talents on how to slip along the throng of people like an eel. None of them was aware that this sudden move unknowingly shook off a few suspicious eyes looking at the twins. 

The pursuers were complacent at first but when they noticed the situation was getting out of hand, they felt that the task was about to fail again. First, they only had a dandy looking young man as a companion. 

Who knew that this young man is friends with a warlock? They could be as unscrupulous as they can be in this city but butting heads with a warlock is not included in the agenda. They would be blown to bits in half a step.

They lost them a few times in the streets while they stroll around enjoying the festivities. Thinking that they couldn't leave the city, none of the pursuers was worried. They only diligently followed and dared not make any move waiting for the opportune time. Sooner or later those boys will be left alone again.

But as they trailed, the worst thing happened. The next time they saw the targets they were already inside a tavern surrounded by mercenaries. It seems they voluntarily jumped into the trap. 

When Clayton and Ayan returned, what they saw were four extra bodies tied and gagged in the common area of their rented floor wriggling helplessly like extra-large caterpillars.

Milk was poised snarling at them ready to bite with his baby teeth. 

Ayan felt a rush of anger rising from within her stomach climbing up to her vocal cords but she did not shout, instead, she plunked her hands on her hips and smiled at the kids, "These are…?"

"Just some local thugs," Beck said, kicking one of them. "It looks like bandits were not the only problem in this city."

Schon sitting primly on the side looked at the ragtag of four with swollen faces after being trained by the mercenaries. If they hadn't gagged their mouths earlier, their howling and crying could have woken up the whole inn. Ayan thanked them profusely for looking after the boys and capturing these bastards. 

Who knew what could have happened if they were taken. The thought made her frightened she inadvertently glared at Clayton.       

Unable to bear her stare, Clayton decided to be honest. She learned that he and the mercenaries discussed this matter earlier.  

The first thought that came into her mind when he admitted that they are being followed was the pursuers they had back in Lattice. If there is anyone out there who wanted to chase and kill them that would be those people in the blasted kingdom they left. 

But no, Clayton told her that those men had long been unable to keep up with them and could have given up their mission-- or might have long died within the forest.

The one he suspected the most was the governor of the Eustoma who included him to join the subjugation of mountain bandits. Ayan asked him before why he was included when he had nothing to do with the incident adding more to his doubts. 

Returning from the garrison that early morning, he ran into shadows lurking around the inn and fought with them and accidentally got wounded. When Ayan brought up the question that is when it came clear to him. 

Why was he included? It was to lead him away so they could handle his family. Fortunately, by some miracle, none of them succeeded. But he believed their failure will not make them give up.

"Does anyone else know of our arrival?" Ayan asked worriedly.

"No." he was sure of it but there could be other reasons why they got into the eye of the governor.

He tapped his finger on the armchair slowly, thinking of possibilities why the governor would suddenly target them. He thought of other suspects but none came, and apart from the governor's house, who else had the power to own private guards with skills?

But the governor sending people to trouble them was still unclear. If he knew who they were, what benefit would he get from persecuting them? Besides he wouldn't blatantly become hostile because of Clayton's reputation. It could intimidate him on the other hand. 

But if he didn't know who they were and just saw them as an ordinary family it was easy for him to become unscrupulous and order for their execution. But the same question comes up. For what reason would he harass an 'ordinary' family he hadn't even met? What was his motive?

Ayan was also squeezing her head for an answer. 

The first thing they did when coming here is running into an attacked caravan. Nothing else. 

Unless they unknowingly stepped into something they shouldn't have. 

Outside, Schon had reprimanded Beck for the very same reason.

"Isn't it high time you be honest with me? To them?"  

The young man stopped on his tracks and turned back. "This matter has nothing to do with them. What happened today was only the result of the governor's probing and it does not need to be escalated further."

Schon lost his reasonable expression and scowled, "Whether you like or not this matter has already dragged them."

"Not if I can help it."

"What gives you the confidence?"

Beck straightened his slouchy back, faced him no longer smiling. "My trust in you."

The other was not flattered and got annoyed instead. 

"You departed imperial capital without a word, went on an adventure on your own regardless of the mess you left. A very irresponsible move that was so out of your own character but still I believed you. You had your reason and none of it was to spite your father as everyone believes. I know you are not like that. Then suddenly I find you here poking your nose into this city's business." Schon's pitch was getting aggressive. "I just want to know why." 

Not as a warlock but as an old friend he shared childhood with. He wanted to understand what could have caused his sudden change. What could be a bigger reason for him to leave everything-- them in exchange for a wandering life outside? 

Beck fell into a thoughtful silence. 

"Alright, I won't force you," Schon said disappointedly and turned to withdraw when the back of his robe was grabbed.

"Hey wait, wait a minute Master Schon! Why you-- this bad habit of your has to stop I tell you. It's certainly uncute."

He was given a fulminating glare. 

"Let go." 

"I won't." Beck clung stubbornly. "You can't just walk out whenever you disagree with something with me." 

"I said let--"

The robe was yanked a little too hard this time he unglamourously lost his footing. Beck who was guilty of the crime yelp and hurried to catch him. He was being a pest but he shouldn't have done such a rash move. 

Schon hated being touched and he is making an even bigger blunder. Ah, blast it. 

His hand was pushed, and before he knew it Schon had regained his balance without his help. 

"Err… that was my fault." he apologized. "What do you want to know?"

There was no reply. He knew he pissed him off this time. The thing he dreaded the most…  

"Schon…"

"Don't make a face as if I'm forcing you." Schon growled as he patted his vestment of its unsightly creases. 

"No, I-- I want to tell you the truth this time."

Minutes later Schon found himself sitting on the riverbank along with Beck. His ass felt awfully cold from the pebbles scattered along with the grassy patch.

"Reginald!" he spoke in between gritted teeth. 

Beck raised his hand to appease him, "I'm sorry, there was no other place more suitable than here." 

"Then you better start talking before my arse freeze over."

Schon is getting even madder and he is running out of excuses to prevaricate. With a long-suffering sigh, he confided, "I'm following the trails of the remaining cursed artifacts that slipped into the empire."

Schon bounced up from where he sat looking at him incredulously. "A-Are you out of your mind?!"

"I knew you would react that way," he muttered sullenly picking on the grass. 

"Why?" Schon roared. "Why do this? You are the--"

"Right now I am not," Beck said simply. "I have decided on this since I left and right now I'm close to uncovering something. The governor of Eustoma was involved with the cursed items but when the garrison was built, he started getting flustered. Once he got caught, he knew that he would not only lose his position but could also end up executed. When Eliott, a small time merchant came he thought of an idea how to smuggle the cursed artifact out of the city without the knights knowing unfortunately, the bandits intercepted it. 

Everything could have ended well with those things at the hands of mountain thugs but the sudden arrival of the Rozenberg involved the captain of the guards as he came to welcome them. It alarmed the governor. He wanted to find out who the Rozenbergs were or that if they would become a threat to him."

Schon sat back on the ground, "Is that the reason why Mr Rozenberg was invited to join the bandit subjugation? To test him?"

"Part of it," Beck said, looking thoughtful. "We don't know what happened after we went to the mountains but when we returned, Knoll, Clayton and I saw twenty Shadows lurking on the side of the inn. We fought them, but they quickly escaped. However, their leader tussled with Clayton hard. Both of them were wounded."

"Shadows…" Schon's hands tightened unconsciously.  

"They were after me originally. They had been persistently following since I left the capital. I believe that after Clayton's fight with the leader, they would add another target and possibly work together with the governor."

So Beck was saying that the Rozenbergs were innocently implicated by these two forces because of him? Is that really all? Schon thought suspiciously. If the governor only wanted to know about the Rozenbergs he wouldn't hire those ruffians to abduct the children. This matter is making him uneasy for some reason.

"They might become bolder on their next move. Mr Rozeberg doesn't look like an ordinary person. He fought better than any of the garrison knights. His movements were executed neatly as if honed from hundreds of battles." a thought came to him. 

The name Rozenberg. But that's impossible. 

When he looked at Beck, he saw him put his finger on his lips. His eyes widened in disbelief.

Silence pervaded. The two looked at the calm river but their thoughts were not on it. 

"The governor suspects that the Rozenbergs knew something about the cursed artifact and with their closeness to the garrison knights, he feared of an investigation hapening. You see, once it reached the authorities, by just following the traces, it was easy to see the governor's involvement with all these."

"Is that really all?" Schon couldn't let go of his suspicion. 

"I know my logic is flawed." Beck admitted embarrassedly, "Although using the children as hostages to ensure he doesn't get implicated was a little stupid, it is the only way out for a frightened man. The children are safe for now. There is still plenty of opportunity but I know Clayton is not someone to sit idly by and wait."

The unease Schon felt did not go away despite hearing Beck's explanation. Then it came to him...

"Have you ever thought that if the governor had held the cursed artifact, it is highly possible that people inside the mansion were contaminated by dark elements; however, despite that none of them invite me over to seek help?"

"You are from Ava, they would not risk revealing their crime unless they wish to lose their position and get thrown by their master." 

"Which faction was the Eustoma governor by the way?"

Beck looked back at the city with a mocking smile. "Sybil."

Schon squeezed his eyes shut and said firmly, "The Rozenbergs had to be taken out of the city as soon as possible."

"That is up for Clayton to decide, I believe he had his own plan."

Schon glared at him, "It's not. Have you forgotten what you told me the other day about the curse?"

Beck turned silent.

"Everyone who has touched it has gone mad. You and the rest of the mercenaries had gotten close to it, possibly even touched it. Then why is it that you were still standing before me alive and well? What made you an exception?"

Beck's back turned cold. It was only a guess on his part that he playfully shared with Schon about the fruits Clayton gave them. He wasn't really sure about it nor did he want to pin his hopes on it. For centuries people had been searching for the cure for the contamination of dark elements even the ablution using the water blessed by a Diviner's power can only cleanse the blight but not save lives. 

There was no cure-all potion unless a Saint is born. 

So what made them survive? Aside from meeting the Rozenbergs, nothing else was different.

Schon continued to sprinkle insights. 

"The governor might have noticed this abnormality long before you did… and who knew if he already had gotten his answer."

"Shit!" Beck gave himself a slap. 

"I told you, this whole thing involves them whether you like it or not." 

He was looking at the problem from the wrong angle after all. Beck realized in horror. The governor wasn't simply monitoring Clayton's family. They suspect they had something to do with their cure from the curse.

And if the governor's house has people contaminated by the dark elements, they will do anything to acquire it from his family!

30