29. Don’t Panic! Everything Is Under Control
685 4 27
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Days went by a slow crawl… or that’s how Ayan described their experience. Upon realizing that they were on the brink of starvation much worse when they were out in the wild; the gears on her sluggish head came alive turning double time.

They have no food, beddings and most importantly money. 

As reluctant as she was, she resorted to pawning off the lovely blue crystal hairpin she had for two silvers. The walk took her and the boys an hour towards town passing by the village square and the empty fields. 

There was no other choice except that, you see, they have nothing and she wouldn't mind parting with it if that means their survival. 

With two silvers now in hand, Ayan suddenly felt bad, but she had to be on the positive side here. That’s two thousand greis at least that can help them tide over difficulties for many months… err not exactly, she chided herself. 

The positive side, huh? There isn't seem to be one. 

Including other important necessities such as cloth, seasonings and lamp oil today's money is estimated to dwindle rapidly. What was left is only enough for food for about a month and that is if they ate reservedly.

Ayan's face is about to warp into a crying emoticon. I curse you Clayton to bite your tongue when you eat your meal! 

The annual income of one household in this era was about the same as the money in her pockets. One silver is equal to one thousand greis, the currency of Asturia. To live comfortably in a month you have to have at least five hundred greis reserved. 

Raven pursed his lips and pinched the hem of his shirt. "Mother, why did you sell your hairpin?"

"Well," Ayan scratched her cheek, "I forgot that we are no longer in the forest and we still need money."

"Father… what about father?"

Err. 

"He forgot as well," she mumbled embarrassedly. "Don't worry about the hairpin, it's old anyway." 

Raven still looked downcast so she squatted down and poked his pudgy cheek. "It's alright. You know I have more of those, right?"

From her left Carmine also walked closer and squeezed into her body, "But that was your favourite. I see you always wear it."

No, it's not. It happened that it was the most inconspicuous one among her accessories. She felt funny all of a sudden being comforted by two cinnamon buns. Look at her, an adult that needs support from children. 

"Can we take it back next time?" Raven asked. 

"We can." Ayan dug in a deep breath, patted her face and smiled, "Daddy is out for a moment so there is only us for now. In the meantime, we need to prepare things for winter. If you have any suggestions, tell mommy okay?"

Milk raised his paw but no one noticed him so he dejectedly lowered his ears. It must because he was too small. Yep, that's it. He better hurry up and grow up so his humans can see him next time! 

"Come on boys, we need to buy extra blankets and food." They also need to familiarize themselves with the town alleyways and establishments.  

The four of them walked around buying curtains and beddings from the cloth store not far from the pawnshop. That window only has wooden slats leaking in frigid air from the outside and beds were covered with hay but those were not enough to keep them warm. Ayan already prepared herself to spend a lot, however, she did not expect that the money in her hand would be halved just from buying linens! There is still food to be bought. Flour is a must for bread, some cereals, dried meat, eggs, salt and oil. 

These things should have been a trivial worry if the fairy ring did not choose to be unavailable at this moment. If it weren’t for the two large backpacks they carried, she might just burst into tears in the corner.

Everything they purchased was put on the large leather bag Ayan brought. Some sneaky fellows saw they had a lot of things in their 'sack' and planned to make a move but after seeing Ayan lift the bulging bag like a feather, they shrunk their necks and decided against it. 

See those delicate hands? Maybe it can crush your neck like a stick. So to avoid severe injury-- or certain death, better behave as a model citizen for once. 

 


Imperial Capital Ava

House Eidloth 

 

The curling smoke from the brass censer exuded a faint aroma lingering in the whole gallery room. Beatrice sat on the brocade seat taking thin sips of sweet wine the host offered to entertain. 

A colourful ensemble of pastries was up on the table to delight the eyes. The taste however did not delight her palette though. They were either hard, gritty or waxy Beatrice dare not take a second bite for fear of breaking a tooth.  

Away from the bustle of the dance hall, this private area is strictly for very close acquaintances only. As for the specific reason why she was suddenly pulled in, the young lady doesn't know. She hasn't made many rounds in the Circle's parties and events these past three months to make an intimate friend who might be willing to share gossip. But as a member of a noble household, she is aware enough to know that Lord Eidloth seems to be at odds with her uncle.

Is there some sort of conspiracy? Her head tingled. 

She was still flipping her mind for the hundreds of strategies the enemy might come up with to start trouble when the trouble began just ten feet away. 

"Who invited you in?" a ferocious blonde with big ringlets is screeching at the brown-haired maiden.

There were pieces of broken porcelain on the floor. "I-I'm sorry, I didn't mean to. Please let me help you,"

"Get your hands off me!" 

The blonde lady pushed the other, making her fall near the shards and cut her fingers.

"Ah, blood!" someone gasped. 

Beatrice nearly sprayed her wine when she saw who the hapless woman was. With tears hanging in her amber eyes, the light yellow gown and fingers bleeding Lucia looked very much like a bullied child. She kept bowing her head asking for an apology to Lady Eidloth who is currently drenched in water. 

According to the ongoing whispers, the two accidentally collided with each other. But Lady Eidloth insisted Lucia splashed water on purpose. 

Everyone guessed there must be a fierce tension between them since it was Lady Eidloth's younger brother who brought Lucia in. Others also gossiped that although she got into the good graces of the queen and will soon get adopted into a wealthy baron's household, her status was still not enough to qualify to join in this gathering but who would have expected that Earl Eidloth's son would take a fancy on her?

The sister, Lady Georgina caught them being intimate in the garden but that was after she saw Lucia visiting Cloth Avenue with some knight's son. Seeing her here only ignited the long-held temper the lady kept this entire time. 

But who started this mess?

"Stop pretending already." Lady Georgina sneered. "Harlot!"

As soon as Lucia stood, she was smacked in the face so hard the sound travelled to every corner of the room. Her smooth cheeks immediately bloomed red and the flower pin on her hair has gone askew. 

"A-Although I don't know where I have offended milady, still I… I want to apologize. I was only reaching for a cup of water when milady came abruptly, it wasn't my intention to pour it on you." Lucia reasoned while holding her burning cheek and continued dropping tears like crystal beads. 

She looks rather oppressed. Beatrice thought. 

Some onlookers thought Lady Georgina had done too much. She was known for her quick temper and unreasonable outburst that is why half of the witnesses were inclined towards Lucia who just timidly stood receiving her anger.

"I had my back turned from you so how am I able to hit you?" Lady Georgina taunted, "It was your doing. You were frightened I would tell my brother you were flirting with the knight's son, weren't you?"

Lucia's face turned pale. She looked around in panic hoping to implore those who sided with her to speak on her behalf but there was no one willing. The most hateful thing of all is that Young Master James is nowhere in sight. She was trapped. She did not expect that this venomous sister of his would slander her right in front of the public! 

"M-Milady there must be some kind of misunderstanding." Lucia lowered her eyes misted with unshed tears. 

"Misunderstanding? Did you think I would hold back from telling everybody about it?"

Beatrice sitting in the corner had her wine put down just in case she got too excited and dropped it. Why this is more entertaining than the theatre! Didn't mother tell her that women from nobility would rather hang themselves in the beams than make an ugly scene? 

Oh, mother should have seen this. 

"You were happily clinging into his arms asking for this and that--"

"I was only walking with Sir Percy!" Lucia blurted out. "We… we were not like what you think…"

Lady Georgina gave a triumphant smirk, "I wonder what this Sir Percy will think after you let him hold your hands the entire day and empty the poor man's pockets from buying gifts?"

The ladies inside the room who felt sorry for Lucia earlier began to move away. This woman is simply too bold. 

"Don't say I'm bullying you. I only tell what I saw." The lady then lazily swept her eyes around and caught sight of Beatrice, "I almost forgot what you were before and what kind of virtue a person like you would have. If someone in here would know your true face, I think that would be your former employer. Am I right, Miss Feldt?"

Lucia had long known Beatrice was also invited to this ball. She saw her being escorted by Sir Dylan himself making her feel uncomfortable all of a sudden. In her stay in Blackwood mansion, she knew that the heir has quite a cold temper like many upper-crust men but she did not expect that he would suddenly soften towards this noisy and spoiled girl of all people?!

Grasping the right, timing, Lucia bit her lip and looked at Beatrice like a lifeline. 

"Miss…"

Beatrice blinked, "I dare not, Miss Neu is no longer my employee and will soon belong to the Circle after all."

She was rebuffed before even starting. Lucia gritted her teeth fiercely. "We were at least together for a couple of months and I thought of you as a sister. I didn't expect you would be so--"

Beatrice rolled her eyes inwardly. She just wanted to attend some ball and get to know people. Why is she involved in this farce? 

"Yes, two months." She replied dryly, "Unfortunately my humble self cannot provide you with some things that was why you left House Blackwood before I could even feel the so-called sisterhood." 

Her remark made everyone laugh. Almost all in the Circle have heard of the marquess's house being abandoned by their little maid for the queen's favour. Realizing this, Lucia felt like being doused with cold water. She thought she could at least rely on her for help. She hoped too much and did not know that this bitch could be so heartless using her separation to shame her! 

Seeing everybody's faces, Beatrice was no longer in the mood to stay in this room full of vapid and vain children so she stood, "Ladies, as someone new to the capital, I feel rather tired of this late-night enjoyment."

Life back in the country was simple. 

"Please excuse me."

Lady Georgina frowned seeing her about to retreat. The entertainment is yet to be over. "You can't leave yet." 

Beatrice paused and raised an elegant eyebrow. "Oh?"

So she was invited to be a dancing monkey to make these brats happy. Too bad… 

The door of the drawing-room opened and cousin Dylan's superb handsome visage came into view. Beatrice withdrew her spikes and returned to being an adorable bumpkin in a split second.

"Cousin~" she called sweetly and fluttered beside him like a little bird. "Are you here to fetch me? What perfect timing. I was about to leave."

Sir Dylan pressed down the goosebumps spreading from his back to his arms after hearing her voice. With an eyebrow twitching, he couldn't help but poke her forehead. 

"Tired?"

She made an exaggerated sigh and declared, "Very. I think I may need to rest until noon the next day."

"If that is the case then," he turned to the ladies ogling him inside the room and made a subtle bow. "Ladies? Have a good night."

The two of them left in brisk steps as if their butts were on fire. This made the onlookers wonder. Lady Georgina on the other hand was shooting flames from her eyes after seeing the scene. 

He didn't like balls for the reason that most of them are disguised as a matchmaking scheme (trap) made by those idle matrons. Every young girl fresh out of the schoolroom or any available lady is groomed by their families from head to foot in hopes to win a perfect partner in one of these events.

He felt particularly sorry for those unsuspecting males who got lured in thinking they have found their destiny. Sure balls are fun, there is entertainment, a few games with fellow gentlemen perhaps and at the rarest times there will be new characters who will give colour to the ball. But that is all there is for him. He wasn't even interested in dancing and he would flee at the first sign of a maiden hinting interest in him. 

If it weren't for escorting Beatrice, none would see his shadow in this place.

27