31. Hello Sylphs!
623 6 26
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Ayan's forehead veins popped.

She thought Coco was joking with her but it turns out it really was their names. Primary and secondary colours! 

She only guessed based on their clothes since it was obvious. Seeing her ignorant slightly angry look, the four's hopeful eyes dimmed. Old White did not mind whether she remembers or not, he had a kind elderly smile on his pleated face and bowed his head. 

"Thank you for waking us, milady. This old one may not be as vigorous as the younglings but I vow to help to the best of my abilities to be worthy of your grace."

"Oh, there is no need for that." Ayan hurried to pull him up, flustered to see an elder bowing before her. This gesture only made her conscience hurt. "Although I don't understand much… still, I am glad to meet you." 

As she spoke, her eyes shot daggers at Coco: Can you explain the situation, please?

To her surprise, after Coco summarized the story, Ayan did not find the events too bizarre and alarming as she thought. According to what Coco explained before, the Cornucopia's magical essence was too thick and coupled with the Faerie Wing sword the energy was substantial enough to nourish not only the lake but the tree itself the upgrade was large which is why it took him a long time.

When the water was cleansed from impurities, everything inside the dimension came to life. He explained that the tree in the middle was not the jacaranda tree she thought it was from the beginning but a sapling taken from the now withered millennium tree.  

For the fey folks and other magical creatures, this tree is not only their source of strength but also their natal home. The closer they are to their home, the stronger their powers are. 

Does that mean that the fairy ring will become the fairies homeland in the future? To this Old White assured her that there are only six of them here, no other fairies would stay in the future. Although they can 'visit' they cannot linger for long because this tree was only a sapling. 

Aya looked at the so-called sapling rising like a ten-story building. Sapling, huh? So to say, this huge thing is the same as a mobile charger for the fairies where they get their power. What about the original one? The size must have broken through the stratosphere and poked the moon!

"You've worked hard."

Coco's painstaking effort reflected on how much the space improved. The farmland became wider with more selection of plants particularly the ones she picked from the mountains. Green shyly blushed when she confessed that she took the liberty to sow the seeds in the storeroom of the villa to add more life to the dimension. 

"Don't worry milady, from here on I promise to take care of your precious collection. As long as I am here, none of them will wither." 

Coco introduced the sylphs to her one by one and since they are going to live in this place from now on, they volunteered to help as a 'rental fee'. 

Blue's advantage lies in the water, he can run errands to the lake and streams catching fish, crabs, shrimp and any aquatic creatures when Ayan asks for it. 

"Aye, that's me milady. As your farmhand, my duty is not only restricted to water but anywhere you wish." 

Yellow stepped up, nudged him with his butt and tweeted, "Me, me, me! Is milady looking for gems? Metals? I can look for them." As he said, he is in charge of the mountain and the mineral veins in it or anything that is closely related to earth. 

"Now I feel bad, I don't seem to have many specialities unless I run errands with everyone." Red, the second girl is a spirited little sylph who can assist her brothers and sister when they ask for a hand anytime but she also took interest in rearing the animals collected and already made a sturdy ranch with the help of Green on the other side of the farming fields. 

What she said made Ayan laugh. The fire element she carries might not be much of a use in taking care of the plants but there are surely many things she can do in the future. 

Old White and Coco, the oldest of them all, both supervise the growth and changes of the dimension for Ayan's peace of mind.

Her eyes lit up seeing the organized appearance of the fairy ring. Besides that, a new building was added. Outside the fence, a colourful street stall was placed reminding her of the special feature in the pastoral game she once played. 

"Did you like it?" Coco asked eagerly, his eyes sparkling like gems. "From now on you no longer have to worry about the surplus harvest. If you put them here, we can start selling the items inside the space to people and that's not only limited to fruits."

She was taken aback. It's so alike! 

Coco peeked at her secretly and snickered. He saw it on the tablet she left in the bedroom. He was curious about modern technology and took time to tinker with it. Later he found the game app she loved to play. Just when he was having trouble helping Ayan in her task, the game's mechanics came as a blessing. 

"Would you like to sell other things besides fruits and grains?"

Other things? Does that include the ones from the warehouse? The packaging of those items are obviously not of this world, if they go out it might create more trouble. Besides, even if there are plenty of items in there that could last for years most are still limited consumables she only wants to share with people she trusts.

"Well, don't you have the Cornucopia?"

This made her look at Coco like he had grown a halo.

Coco: Nope, I'm a fairy not an angel, thank you.

"How?"

"You can copy an endless amount of items and repackage them to sell. That way the buyers won't suspect anything amiss. And mind you, things baptized by the aura of the fairy ring are no longer ordinary things. There are benefits when using or eating them." 

Ayan had a nagging suspicion that her fairy boy has a purpose for bringing up this topic. He was too eager for her to disperse everything from here when he should have been more reluctant to be discovered. 

She gave him an eyeful for a few seconds enough to raise gooseflesh on his tender skin. "I-It's not like I'm being careless," Coco defended in a small voice, "I'm doing this for your own good. Weren't you worried about money?"

He's got a point. But she's still suspicious. "I supposed I can only say goodbye to a few sets of jewelry. Oh, and there are those--" 

"What could be more important than food in this season," Coco mumbled on the side, making her smile slyly.

"Well, you want me to sell then sell it is."

Pawning off that hairpin was only because of an emergency and she will not get addicted to it. They need a steady income. In fact, selling came across her mind a few times already but there are still a few points she has to do to freely do it. In order to do business, she needs to register as a merchant either a mercer or a grocer to get a permit in the city hall, have it approved by the city council and join the Merchant's Guild before finally setting up a place to begin. 

"Leave it to me." Old White said rubbing his beard fondly. 

Ayan smiled at him, "Thank you, Old White."

She wasn't quite sure how he was going to solve her dilemma, she just feels things were a lot easier when he spoke. She couldn't explain it either, but her heart told her Old White has a way. 

"I almost forgot, the children are left outside…"

Coco pouted, "How many times do I have to remind you that the time inside the fairy ring was a lot faster than the time outside? You have been here for half an hour but in the outside world, you may have been gone for a minute at most."

"You don't know a mother's concern." she rolled her eyes at him. A minute even a second without seeing the boys puts her heart and mind into disarray. 

The five new faces looked at the interactions of the two enviously. Oh, why did they wake up so late?! Coco has snatched up all the attention of the lady. They must work hard in the future! 

"Everyone, it was nice meeting you. I'm glad it's livelier here now and Coco will no longer be sad and alone," she said smilingly.   

"I'm not sad!" Coco gritted out.

"Fine, fine," she snorted. 

Why does it seem that the longer she knows Coco the more childish he gets? 

Leaving the fairy ring, she was back in the loft where she originally stood. It was still the same bleak-looking room as before. Ayan pulled up her sleeves and began to redecorate. The fairy ring is open now so there is no need to aggrieve themselves. 

She took away the two creaky plank beds, sent them to space. 

Red was leisurely watching the yellow sheeps graze when two beds appeared out of nowhere giving her a huge startle. She realized that it must be something the lady brought. However things were too late and the beds were already razed to coke. 

Outside, Ayan had no idea about the fate of which she sent. Thick rugs were placed on the floors and additional heavy curtains to block the big lattice window. After that she pulled out the 12-foot Wabi-sabi bed occupying half of the twenty square meter loft space. To avoid the fabrics from catching fire, she decided to no longer use the iron grate brazier and switch to a smokeless portable heater. She can conveniently charge it inside the space house once it runs out of power. 

The room temperature rose from chilly to toasty warm in minutes. Below, the twins sat near the hearth unable to move because of the cold. They haven't asked mommy where their father went, the boys counted about three nights already and they too are feeling anxious. 

Carmine had his two hands on his fleshy cheeks and sighed from time to time. He cannot help but think about what happened in their old house before. 

"You know your daddy is the hero of the kingdom right?" the woman said while putting him to bed. "Such a great man deserves a devoted, kind and gentle woman, don't you think? It's too bad your mother doesn't appreciate him. Can you bear letting him be sad like this?"

And then she smiled sweetly. But Carmine doesn't like her smile at all. She also smiles like that whenever she talks about daddy. One time he caught her touching daddy's mantle and he was angry.

Carmine was too young to understand his resentment but he knew he just didn't want that woman to touch their father's things. Absolutely not. 

Sensing his mood, Milk crawled to his lap and laid his soft tummy up for a scratch. He quickly forgot about his sadness and began the job of petting the pig-cub. 

On the side, Raven was busy thinking about how to help their mother maintain the house. There is enough firewood for heating and cooking. Water is not a problem as well but their supply was not enough. Good thing he and Carmine are still small and they don't eat much but Milk was used to eat a lot of things… he's too fat. Maybe he should cut back his food a little. 

The cub who was happily getting his belly scratched had no idea that he was about to be subjected to a strict diet to save food. 

A while later, Ayan called them up for a surprise. 

When they opened the door, the heat rushed to their faces which were a lot more comforting than the fire in the hearth. 

Carmine's eyes grew big, "Mommy, your ring…?"

She patted his head and smiled.

"Yey!" the boys exclaimed. 

Raven patted his little chest in relief. It's only been three days but he knows that their mother is very concerned about their living. Unlike in the mountains, there were no fresh prey here or any wild plants. Everything needs to be bought and their coins are just enough for another few days. 

Ayan took their wraps, and changed them into winter pyjamas she prepared a long time ago. The twins excitedly donned their soft thick clothes with vivid ears and tails and couldn't stop stroking them. Carmine wore the tiger patterned one while Raven wore the one with the wolf's design. Milk meowled aggrievedly as if complaining he doesn't have one, Ayan teased him first before giving the fancy pet clothes she found in the warehouse goods. 

She took a bowl of freshly picked strawberries and cut mangoes then sent them to bed to continue arranging the things below. 

When she left, the three ran and dove straight to the soft mattress. 

Carmine: Ahhh~ so soft and comfy. 

Raven drilled into the eiderdown duvet and squealed: Heaven! No more itchy straws poking on his butt. 

The twins felt that their mother has spoiled them rotten and became even more picky. If their father found out, he will probably lecture them for it. But mother said it was alright so... 

Ayan paused on the steps when she noticed the two went silent but seconds later their peals of laughter echoed in the farmhouse washing away the uneasiness she felt these past few days. With her spirits recharge, she started to work on making the house more liveable.

Humph, so what if their father is away? She can take care of the children! 

While she worked Ayan was completely unaware that a commotion broke out in the town they visited. A lovely little stall appeared out of nowhere occupying the dark alley in between two rival restaurants. 

An old man wearing a dark robe stepped out stroking his beard and nodded approvingly.

"Here is a good place," he said ignoring the shocked faces of the passersby. 

"G-Grandpa, t-that wasn't an illusion or a trick right? A stall did pop out from the air, right?" the smith stuttered and almost dropped his hammer. 

Old White who has changed clothes smiled kindly at him. 

"Good lord!"

"It really did. Saw it with my own eyes."

Thankfully, the snow is heavy and there were a few pedestrians or else this area will become a lot crowded. 

"May I pass, please? I have an important task to complete." Old White said finding a gap to walk on.   

"Hey, gramps, where are you going in this weather?"

"The city hall nearby."

The smith scratched his head. How could such an elderly walk in the cold? Looking at his clothes, he seems to be from a wealthy household. Unfortunately, he wears too little and might get sick. 

Is the grandpa addled?

When he turned to remind him nicely not to risk walking for too long, Old White was already gone. Two days after that when the smith passed the same street, he found that the little stall had a long queue of customers lining up.  

 

 

26