35. Three Gentlemen
708 5 27
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

City of Arpeggio, Central Town

 

A small stall opened earlier while the others were still shut tight because of the cold. A scene similar to that in Morrigan appeared as the juvenile about ten to twelve stepped out facing a long queue of patrons holding their food containers. 

"Please stand neatly, do not push each other nor cut in line with those in front of you. The stall will not serve people who cannot follow the rules." 

There was a rise in voices at first, with a few discordant protests, but seeing that the young steward's firm look, they gradually quieted down.

The strange thing is that the stall rarely collects money. The first one to experience it was the person in the front most queue. She was a flower seller near the cathedral here to buy a cup of soup for her siblings at home. As soon as the pot lid was lifted, the aroma of both meat and herbs burst into the morning air teasing everybody's frozen noses. 

The steward with a deep ladle scooped up the creamy soup to her wooden cup similar to a 1-litre tankard. The soup had a rich meaty aroma entwined with herbs. While the steward poured, the girl swallowed her saliva looking at the thick broth from the rich bone marrow. 

She thought it would be like any other soups they had before. To her surprise, she not only saw thick chunks of meat but vegetables as well! 

"S-Sir, I only have a copper…"

"It's free," Yellow said, not minding the girl's surprised face. 

From the food cabinet nearby, he casually reached out for the three palm-sized bread patties Ayan made just this morning. There were only ten of those originally, but with the Cornucopia, the amount has multiplied to hundreds enough to feed an army. 

The goal is to supply the city with a small amount of food to alleviate the pressure of hunger during this winter. While he manned the stall in central town, Blue was on the other side of the city doing the same relief operation. On the other end, Old White maintained the first stall near Morrigan. With the three of them positioned by Ayan in the three most critical areas, they hope that the crisis of Arpeggio can be thwarted. 

The flower selling girl held the hot patties in her hand, the other with soup. Looking at the hearty breakfast, she quickly thanked Blue and ran back home to feed her two little brothers.   

The carpenter's place on the other side of the road was very pleased not only because he could always have a warm meal but make a business from the old man's suggestion as well. 

See those unique looking food containers the people are holding? It was his shop's workmanship. A three-layered wooden box with a handle and wooden mugs meant to keep food and avoid spillage during transportation. The old carpenter's eyes sparkled in delight when he was given free product design by the young steward handling the little stall up front. 

Selling them two coppers a piece was considered cheap compared to his other crafts, however, the cheap things were very profitable. It wasn't a losing job because it unexpectedly gained quick notice the moment he put them on the shelf. 

With these containers, the customers of the little stall finally have something to put their food into. He didn't understand why the steward did not have their packaging. For those who come to buy, he always asks them to bring their food container. Later they discovered this place and the carpenter shop's sale slowly rose with the help of these food boxes.

Again today, many people came to his shop for these items. Most of them were new faces who came to seek shelter in the city until the snow melts. As the cold weather started, the stall up front began distributing free warm soup and bread from morning until noon. The lure of food for people who had been hungry for days was hard to resist, but even when one wanted to eat for free, they would still need a utensil to use for it. 

Thankfully the food boxes were very cheap even beggars in the alley can buy them. For two coppers, you can have free soup or gruel from the stall every day. 

A white luxurious carriage passed by the central town witnessing the current lively scene from a small window. It was far from the ones they received from the report and the person sitting inside breathed a soft sigh the moment she confirmed the actual state of the territory.

"I'm sure Her Majesty will be delighted to hear that Arpeggio is faring very well this winter. I hope that this good news can at least lessen some of her burdens." the person in white vestment spoke then kindly added for the person sitting across, "Now that we are here, you can also put your mind at ease. What you have dreamt might have been the opposite of the real situation after all."

On the opposite side, a lady toying with a kerchief in her hand paused. To make sure that what the Elder said was true she parted the curtain to see for herself. The crowded square in front of the cathedral is alive with people's laughter as of the moment. Every corner was occupied by both the young and the old holding cups of steaming soups and pies. 

During the cold season, the church opens its halls and lights up the hearths for the homeless. The clergies and acolytes all over the city take this moment to dedicate half of their time to serving the masses in the name of charity. It was a heavy responsibility to bear for the people of the Holy Temple, fortunately, this month the burden of sheltering and feeding the homeless was halved when a mysterious stall appeared right across the cathedral. 

The lady witnessing this change suddenly doubted everything she knew. There was a distinct tightening in the joints of her fingers clutching the tiny book she held on her lap. She was even thinking of stepping down to take a closer look. 

Arpeggio… how can this be?! This was not written on the prophetic page. Where are the starving masses? The riots? 

Slightly panicked, the gentle facade she adapted was about to collapse. As the carriage continued forward, the cold wind from outside blew the curtains letting a bit of brightness in giving clarity to the face by the window. 

Lucia had her eyes glued to the crowd not leaving a tiny detail of the scene outside. She was still unable to believe that what she saw was the same as the turbulent and unsafe place she imagined. 

"I know your concerns for the people child, but this is Her Majesty's territory. If not the most beautiful and prosperous, it is the safest place I can say." said the elder with a smile. 

 

In the manor not far from the cottage, Lachlan was finally able to walk around without the burden of shortness of breath or any pain shooting up from his body. Ironically after he got better the visitor he welcomed a few days ago was now detained in the bed in return. 

Beck was leaning on the headboard when the host came in.

"Are you comfortable with the accommodations, Your Highness?" Lachlan said drolly as he stepped in.  

"Satisfied, yes. But having a royal suite is a bit exaggerated." Beck snorted, patting the headboard made from a thousand-year-old purple heart wood. 

"I did not design for this one. Trust me." 

The ancestors had this old trend of reserving the most luxurious room in their manor in hopes of one day welcoming a member of the imperial family in their home even just for a short while. 

Beck finally noticed something different and pointed it out, "I only left for a few days and here you are already walking on your own," Lachlan seems to have recovered fully while here he is wrapped in gauze like a mummy. He was complaining and moving, making his gestures jerky and a little hilarious. "Whatever treatment you received, this time I can say it was damn effective."

"And here you are almost mangled beyond recognition." Lachlan retorted. "What happened while you were away?"

"I went to the city to gather the officials, merchants, and landlords for a meeting about the imminent disaster."

"Such a serious event?"

"The news came from House Blackwood in Ava via magic letter. Dylan speculated that there might be a sudden surge of refugees aiming for Arpeggio. Fortunately, I was able to relay the message before the problem strikes and was able to formulate a solution. The merchants agreed to open their grain stores while officials will be in-charge in handling order in the city."

"That is good news." Lachlan nodded. "But I noticed you failed to mention the reason for your injury or are you prevaricating?"

"Patience, chap." He adjusted himself to a more comfortable posture, "When I was about to return, I realized I was being watched so I made several detours, but unfortunately I still ran into them."

"Do make it clear, please. Who's them?"

"The remnants of Shadowmongers we fought in Eustoma."

Lachlan was silent for a few beats then muttered inaudibly. "Sybil, huh?"

"Exactly."

"By now the queen must have known where you are and they won't stop until they have you even when you are in your mother's territory."

"I doubt the woman's guts to act rashly, her position is still unstable until we find out what she is pregnant with. Her brother on the other hand…"

Roy Sybil. Lachlan remembered the arrogant and disdainful face during their time in the academy. He was just a commoner back then who was yet to get knighted. After that, he continued to climb the ranks using intense and brutal methods to plough through his enemies. 

"If we can find any evidence of his collusion with the Shadowmongers we can bring him to court." 

Beck played with the tassels on his blanket with a smirk, "What do you think I have been working hard for all this time?"

"You nearly got yourself killed!" Schon hissed at him as soon as he entered the chamber. He looked at his nicely wrapped up body. "You have meddled enough with the cursed artifacts, with the Sybil faction and even the Shadowmongers. You stirred the hornet's nest. Perhaps it is time for you to return to Ava, I'm sure your father will be delighted."

Beck made a disgusted face, "I'm sure he will not."

The young warlock glared at him.

"The stinky old man gave me a year. And the year is yet to be over." He reasoned.

"They are still out there waiting so don't get too confident," Schon warned grimly. 

"Speaking of it," Lachlan prompted, effectively dousing the growing fire with water. "How were you able to escape? I do  not doubt your skills but still…"

Beck was bitterly forced to retell the hard-won fight last night. There were ten of them who blocked his path, perhaps luck was on his side that he was able to fight toe to toe with them but they had an advantage in numbers. No matter how skilled he is, there is only him and his stamina could only last a period of time. He can confidently subdue five but ten highly trained assassins?

If not for the artifact his mother gave him there wasn't a chance to defeat that many Shadowmongers at all. He was able to kill seven the remaining three, however, gained the upper hand as he finally gave in to fatigue and his wounds.

It was where his nightmare started. The Shadowmongers abide by rules of a quick death, only by special circumstances would they resort to torture and that is by special order. He knew his death card came from Sybil and he expected to die in such a way. 

The leader stomped on his chest breaking his ribs first, the second one mercilessly dragged him along the jagged edge of the rocky path and the third smashed his leg with a stone. The memory of his bones breaking, the cut tendons and splinters puncturing his flesh were seared deeply into his consciousness. They wanted him to suffer before finally leaving him in the middle of the forest to be fed to wild beasts.

"Animals!" Lachlan slapped the arm of his chair. 

"Quite frankly, what happened seemed more like an old nightmare to me." Unlike when he first woke up and remembered his fate, he was no longer in despair. It was like a tragedy that never happened. 

His heart felt strangely silent even when retelling the experience. 

Perhaps it was because when he opened his eyes, he found himself intact so aside from the vague impressions, the torture did not damage him too much mentally. When Old White was treating him, he tactfully removed a sliver of darkness in his consciousness to prevent an abnormal state from festering. Usually, these afflictions can be cured either by drinking a common Potion of Aharon or Divine Essence. If left alone, a person can fall into madness and eventually gets corrupted.

But Beck's fury was another thing. He swore he will settle the accounts with the people behind. 

A little while later, a maid knocked to inform the gentlemen that lunch was served. During the meal, Beck humorously teased Lachlan about the food. 

"It has indeed changed. The one handling my food is one of the tenants Old Tom is acquainted with. I was considering whether to invite her to the manor."

"Don't tell me you have fallen in love with the meal?"

Lachlan did not say much but there was a soft smile on his face.

"I don't think Clayton would be delighted to know that someone is eyeing his lady through this food."

Lachlan paused, the spoon in his hand hanging halfway. "I wasn't planning on snatching her from him." Then he added, "At least not until their contract is over."

Beck felt a little cold in the back.

Schon's hand holding a spoon shook.

"C-Contract… What did you say? I seem to hear you mention a contract." 

"That's what I said." Lachlan pulled his napkin and wiped his mouth, "I was only planning to extend my gratitude to the woman who made my meals. Nothing excessive. I know Clayton cherish this mistress very much--"

"Lachlan!" Schon lost his composure and shot out of his chair. "You don't know what you're talking about."

"I-- what?" Lachlan was taken aback by his reaction. 

When he turned to Beck, he saw him kneading his brow as if having a headache. It finally dawned on him that something was wrong with what he said from the very beginning. 

He faintly recalled Beck saying 'lady' not 'mistress', mistaking that two would be so much of an insult. His palms turned cold for some reason. At the same time, something inside him seems to break little by little.

"I guess Old Tom did not tell you, huh?" Beck said with a complicated expression. "The woman you were talking about is not Clayton's mistress nor Clayton had any mistress."

"I was told Clayton kept a mistress outside." In which he couldn't believe himself but it was one of his people who gave the information.

"No!" Beck denied vehemently. He may not have recognized Clayton at first but he'd heard of his reputation as the youngest warlord. His backyard is clean and he does not indulge in debauchery as many of his colleagues do. "Good lord where did you--" he went on indignantly. "Ayan is the legal spouse of Clayton. The Lady Rozenberg herself!"

Ayan. Her name is Ayan? The lady who had been making him these warm meals. 

"The servant who came here more than a week ago," he was lost for a moment trying to remember what Old Tom told him about the request. "A servant of Clayton, I believe the name is Rudy or Rodney, he was asking if it was convenient to let someone stay in the fief while waiting for his lord." 

He left it to Old Tom to handle after saying he can allow her to wait but she will not be welcomed nor will he make any arrangements. That was his final consensus. After that, he did know what else happened because the servant left which he believed to return to the mistress's side.   

When Old Tom presented him the meal he mentioned that it came from Clayton's woman. The old butler may have or might not have recognized who Ayan was, either way, he didn't mention anything and just thought she was someone with Clayton. He assumed she was the mistress and had his prejudice at first but the meals gradually conquered him not only because they were delicious but because of their unique properties. Lachlan is thoroughly convinced that the reason for his recovery had something to do with these foods.

For that reason, he put down his usual indifference and had been thinking of inviting her to the manor. A few days ago his valet Olson went to the city and saw the servant again and must have relayed his thoughts. Now he is anticipating meeting the person. 

Beck just had water and nearly choked at the end of his speech. Who knew which place that so-called mistress popped out from. He was also completely sure that the servant is not a good seed either! 

"What have you done?!"

"Goodness…" Schon groaned. He thought Reginald was stupid, it turns out there was someone out here a lot worse than him. 

"You could have invited her through Old Tom to save yourself from such an untimely death, my friend."

Schon thinks that the idea was very wrong either way. There shouldn't have been an invitation unless he was sure about the person he was sending it to in the first place. 

Lachlan is slowly losing colour in his now ruddy face, then he painfully confessed, "I also had Old Tom extend an invitation to make sure she comes."

Schon held his forehead.

Beck looked at him with pity. "Well now, you have two visitors coming. Clayton's legal wife and the alleged mistress herself." 

He just recovered from severe illness but the former marquess would not mind sending him to bed once again if this disaster happened. 

 

27