36. This Book Is Cruel To Side Characters!
903 7 25
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Clayton hadn't been with his family for a couple of weeks now giving him an inexplicable empty feeling. Although the danger was no longer as severe as when they were in Crucible Mountain, he could not be at ease without personally seeing they were alright.

The problem of Stellaris was trickier than he thought and it is estimated to delay for another month by just fixing a dispute over a poisoning incident. He wanted to finish this in just two weeks so he can return soon. But this plan needs a brute and harsh method. 

He doesn't mind doing so. 

Outside the tent, Kanon already followed the lord's instruction. He was directing a group of a hundred soldiers to help guard the site where the workers dig out the soil in the river bank to find the source of poison in the water. After thorough investigation, the anomaly led them to the upper river where the complainants lived. 

By afternoon, a trunk full of corrupted items was uncovered and sent to the courthouse of Arpeggio for another investigation. Since it involves the cursed artifacts, Holy Temple was expected to take over the case. 

As a representative of the Stellaris fief, Clayton filed a complaint against the city counsellor and people from Dana for purposefully framing the people of Stellaris not only to defame their reputation but also to snatch a valuable fishing right. 

After that, he and the Thorns returned to the river town to look for more clues regarding this incident. He doesn't believe that targeting Stellaris was just the idea of the upstart city counsellor. Morrigan estate expanded into a fief when Lachlan successfully guarded the southern rocky cliffs against the sea pirates two years ago. He won not only a viscount title for himself but a new fief as well. Now his land is thrice the size of his father's own. This was the emperor's reward for him. 

Unfortunately, this gift attracted jealous and greedy eyes. Clayton just has to comb through those lots to find out the main culprit of this incident. 

There was heavy snowfall in the following days delaying their investigation. With nothing to do, everyone took a day off. But instead of relaxing, Clayton gave birth to a rare bad feeling during this time of rest.

Johann was sitting near the fire with an expression of heartbreak while looking at a piece of dried meat in his hand. It wasn't near as tasty as the one the lord gave him yesterday. Compared to spicy, slightly sweet beef jerky this one might as well be used as a weapon to stab his enemies. 

He dare not eat more for fear of choking. The hard unpalatable thing cost him a lot of money when he bought it from the town! Oh, those shameless merchants dare to call this lethal weapon food?

"I miss the taste of the beef jerky the lord gave me," he muttered, rubbing his grumbling stomach. 

"The lord said that those were from the lady. I remember you don't have a good impression of her, surprisingly you would dare eat her food despite not liking her."

"When did I say that?" Johann exclaimed indignantly. 

"In Lattice during your turn to guard the manor when we went to scout the area where the Datura village lies."

"I…" Johann was silent. Hating his comrade for having a good memory. 

It was true that he had his own opinions before. Regarding the lord's stifling relationship with his wife, everyone in the manor has kept silent but pondered upon it in their minds. But everything has returned to normal now isn't it? Can he take his words back? Lady Ayan was such a nice woman, she takes care of the little masters attentively and gets along with the lord pretty well. He was just blinded by his first impression.

"I didn't like her before, but it's different now," he replied after a while.

His companion was just teasing him and didn't expect an answer. When he saw Johann making a silly face, he burst into laughter. 

Inside the tent, Kanon came in to deliver urgent news. "Milord, refugees from other territories are marching towards Arpeggio." 

"It must have been because of the continued heavy snowfall." Clayton paused in the middle of opening his satchel. "Deliver a message to every outpost to be more observant when accepting people in Stellaris. Set up a temporary camp outside to accommodate those who haven't been checked and double the patrolling guards to avoid accidents." 

"Yes, milord."

Kanon was about to leave to follow orders when Clayton added, "Another thing, send a person back to the village as soon as possible." 

 

Something feels off lately. 

Ayan remembers she placed six avocado toast with smoked salmon and egg on a large plate before folding their laundry. When she turned back, the plate was now two pieces less.

Yesterday she steamed six ready-made meat buns and also lost two. Turning to her usual suspects who were playing by the hearth did not help.

Raven blinked his big blue eyes innocently.

Carmine gave her a cutesy toothy smile.

Milk was busy licking his paws. 

Hm, it seems they are truly innocent this time. Which was strange since she knew these boys would do every trick they can think of to smuggle a piece. 

"Someone's playing with me?" She thought skeptically.  

The feeling persisted and escalated to vigilance when she went out to visit Karmen's house. She could feel eyes following her making her hair stand. These days, more and more people have come to this place. She found out that the village chief opened the communal hall and allowed the evacuees from the nearby villages to stay there temporarily. 

"Don't worry about it, these petty fiends mixed among them will not move their hands knowing that the men of this village work in the Mercenary Guild," Coco assured her. "Besides, aren't we fairies still here? You will be the first to know if there is danger." 

Well, Coco has a point. But that doesn't answer her question about the little thief who stole their food. To be able to get in here without her or the fairies knowing caused her to feel anxious and she couldn't completely rest assured unless she knew exactly what else the person wanted.   

"Mother?" Raven called by putting a piece of stir-fried cowpea on her plate. "Eat more."

The little baby was worried she hadn't moved her spoon for a while.   

She was distracted all morning thinking about who was peeping at them. She could barely eat lunch. The fence surrounding the house was about two-meter high made of brambles and willow which is now covered with snow. If someone comes to peek, she would surely notice it.

"You're making yourself sick by overthinking. You should rest." Coco said with a hint of reprimand. 

What does she take the fairies for? 

Ayan sighed. Was she too sensitive because of the cold? When her body gets weak, she becomes more alert. But just to make sure there were no accidents, she double-checked the locks of the wooden gate and main doors which proved to be the most correct decision eventually.  

The weather became even testier these days and the constant gloom in the sky added more to her dread. Her cold grew worse as the hours passed. 

The twins knew she wasn't feeling well and also stopped their activities to watch her more. Wherever she goes, they would latch on to her skirt. Carmine would pour her warm water into his favourite cup and peeled her an orange, then after eating Raven would climb up the chair to wipe her forehead and clear out the peelings and empty cup. Even Milk would crawl into her lap to add more heating. 

Ayan smiled despite her headache. The sweetness of these boys was enough to rot her teeth. 

The twins were helpless in this situation, all they could do was send mommy to bed. They made sure the room is warm enough, the quilt is soft and neat and the pillows are fluffy. When she closed her eyes, the two covered her with blankets and sat on both sides looking at her.

Outside the room, a shadow flashed out from an inconspicuous corner letting out a relieved breath. His movements were agile and quiet as he muted his footfalls while moving about the house. 

Wait, why was he hiding anyway?

Johann slapped his forehead and regretted he did not introduce himself earlier because of embarrassment. He could have had lunch decently instead of pitifully watching the family eat those delicious foods in the dark. 

The grumble from his stomach made him look at the table. There is still a bowl of stir-fried vegetables and meat waving hello at him. However, the lady will surely find out if he ate this now. Another grumble from his stomach again. It's not that he was being picky, but after eating those sandwiches and meat buns earlier, he didn't know what possessed him that he could no longer feel happy with his own ration. 

Johann bitterly looked around, then his eyes accidentally brushed across a basket of strange fruits on the kitchen counter. His eyes shimmered brightly as though it had seen countless treasures.

Fruits! The strong sweet scent that can only come from these things made him slobber. Although Johann can be considered to be an adult man, he still could not let go of his old obsession with sweet food. 

Nights came early during winter, added by continued snow it made activities all the more cumbersome to do thus everyone finished their work before it completely turned dark. Not far from the edges of the sleepy village some people with ill intentions began to move.

Ayan was deep into her dream when she was awakened by an urgent knock. Despite being sluggish from the fever, her mind was unusually alert. She cautiously got down from the bed and groped her way through the darkness. 

"Coco, what is going on?"

"Don't panic, the person is someone you know." The fairy replied calmly, "There is a huge problem outside, go and meet him."

She pulled the safety latch and slowly pried the door open with a creak. 

"Milady!" The person called out frantically.

It was dark but she recognized the voice, "Johann?"

She turned on the camping lantern only to see the teenager's sweaty and pale face.

"I have no time to explain. Please leave as soon as possible and go to the Morrigan manor using the shortcut in the back mountain. Milord is on the way, don't worry."

What on earth is happening so suddenly?

But before she could ask for more, Johann pushed her inside the room and was told to wrap themselves tight before disappearing in the dark. Ayan momentarily forgot her fever and hastily woke the twins and Milk, dressed them thickly and wiped the room clean of its traces, restoring it to its bare look. 

"There is a path in the back mountain where you walked before, it's a little steep but it will directly lead you to the backyard of the manor on the other side of the village," Coco informed her. 

"Coco, Johann is alone. I'm afraid he will not be able to handle so many enemies." She wasn't even sure how many or how strong the threat was. 

"I'll come out to help," Yellow said firmly and flashed out of the fairy ring. 

"Me as well," added Green.

Ayan uttered a sincere, "Thank you." 

Using the kitchen door, she and the children hurriedly sneaked out of the cottage towards the hill and finally saw the situation. A pillar of smoke rose from a distance and fire burned into three different directions illuminating the dark winter night.

"Oh, dear…" 

"Madam, hurry!" A fat mercenary brother came with a bloodied sword but he quickly hid it away from the children's sight. "Knoll and the rest were fighting the masked men we encountered in Eustoma before. We suspect they came back for revenge. You must hide, madam."

Masked men again. Beck's injury and now this… Shadowmongers!

"Those mad dogs, this time they colluded with the thieves and burned the mill and the granary for distraction. They are fighting so you can only use the shortcut."

Ayan nodded and patted him in the shoulder, "Be careful." 

The fatty brother nodded firmly. 

"Mommy," the twins had never seen such fire before, then they were shouting and they felt afraid by just looking at it. 

"Go, let's go." She urged.

As soon as they left, the fat brother faced two ruffians who caught up and entered another round of fighting.

In the dim night, the four of them climbed the hill while cautiously ploughing through the snow. Ayan led the way followed by the boys, a little while later it started snowing again making it harder to navigate. Red came out and helped clear the way but the road was still uneven and slippery. 

It was a narrow path originally. On their left is a huge cliff wall and on the right is a sharp slope leading to the small river. Added to her fever, it was extremely difficult to be faster. 

"A little more…'' She can already see the roof of the manor not far from where they are. 

They can also see the chaos in the village below behind the trees. 

Just as she was about to breathe a sigh of relief she heard Milk growl followed by a violent rumble above them. Ayan's face blanched. She had no time to think about running for cover when she saw the tall tide of snow coming from the left about to swallow them. Her heart sank to her stomach, without a second thought she forcibly pulled the children inside the fairy ring much to the fairies horror.

"Ayan you cannot!"

Coco's horrified shout followed after she vomited a mouthful of fresh blood.  

The children successfully entered the fairy ring but she was repelled in return. The impact of repulsion on her body was too strong; it felt like she had been smashed into a solid wall. Then her head was split by unbearable pain. The accident came fast for her and yet it felt like it had been stretched that she could clearly remember every agonizing second of it. 

The surge of nausea and the tearing pain in her stomach as though someone came to pull her organs apart. Might as well… she could feel clumps of unknown things rushing out of her throat along with the fishy taste of blood. 

A copious amount of garish red splashed on the snow made her tremble. Her knees buckled, knocking her hard on the ground. 

"Ayan!"

"Milady!"

There were people calling for her suddenly. The razor-like chill from the whistling wind and finally, the person who slammed into her body covering her protectively. 

"Ayan wake up, wake up! I'm here… Ayan!"

The avalanche raged and thoroughly devoured them like a mad beast. Then there was total darkness. The things she felt, even her fear of the dark became a distant scene as her consciousness slipped.

Is she going to die this time?

 

Beep~

The steady rhythm of the sound coming from the EKG monitor was the first one she perceived after swimming through the endless darkness. 

A white ceiling with circular light that was harsh in the eyes then came into her view. From the right, there are fresh flowers in a crystal vase sitting quietly near the open window where gentle sunlight comes in.

Ayan gasped like a drowning fish. 

She's back?!  

25