39. Muck Behind Grandeur
728 6 24
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Because she got herself upset that morning, she was sent back to bed groggy with fever. Clayton stayed guarding her all afternoon until she fell asleep. When she opened her eyes again it was already the next day. Her confinement lasted so long she felt very uncomfortable being unable to get out to breathe fresh air. 

Her side of the mansion was utterly silent due to her request. These days when the flu is all over the kingdom, it is better to isolate and keep others from getting infected. Ayan played with the fairy ring bored. She wonders what else to do during this period of confinement. 

The sun eventually set, a cough escaped from her lips then suddenly, someone jumped to her balcony. 

"It's me, don't be afraid," Clayton called out walking inside in light careful steps of a thief. An action attesting that he had done such similar movements several times.  

He reached out his hand to her forehead and sighed. He sat by her side giving her a look with a mixture of pity and gloating. "You're still hot."

She was about to retort when he lightly flicked her forehead. 

"Who told you to jump around like a rabbit when you are running a fever like this?"

Ayan could not talk back because her nose was clogged and her throat hurt so bad. She could only speak hoarsely like an old man and glare with her misty eyes. 

"What's the matter? Uncomfortable?"

She nodded.

He took another pillow from the side, propped her body to the headboard and rearranged her blanket. "You should lay like this to avoid clogging your nose."

She pouted but nodded again in agreement. That made him laugh. Ayan scrambled to hush him when they heard footsteps approaching. It was already past visitation time but be it protocols, a mere curfew or the lack of daylight thereof would not deter the young man from doing his sneaky purpose.   

Outside, an oblivious maid from the kitchen came to deliver warm soup and a basin with a white cloth as instructed. Although ravaged by illness, the lady's comfort must not be missed. Clayton went behind the door to hide for a while until there were only the two of them left again. 

Tonight, he stayed to feed her slowly knowing that she was as limp as a vegetable. He could not very well leave her care to those servants when he wasn't even sure they were doing a good job. So, carefully, he blew the soup before putting the spoon into her mouth.

"Gently…"  

Ayan sipped slowly, then licked the remaining wetness with her pink tongue like a small cat leaving a wet stain. 

"Like it?"

She uttered a soft 'um'.

"Have some more." He coaxed. 

The warm soup made her already red lips shine like an enticing fruit. The following action of feeding and licking occurred. Several times, Clayton's eyes were not on the spoon and were glued to her mouth making him unusually fidgety.

"What's the matter with you?" She asked.

"Nothing…" he smiled.   

Later he realized that the feeding is going in a very weird direction. He couldn't concentrate with all that licking. Every time her tongue peeked out, he felt like being teased by a feather. His whole body was burning up bit by bit. Then his throat felt a little too dry. When she looked up to him with those pure trusting eyes, all the nerves on his body began to clamour urgently. 

"You little minx…" he muttered under his breath.

Ah? 

Clayton one to three before clenching his jaw, "Ayan… the engagement…" 

Her face frowned. "You're backing out?!"

He shook his head funnily, he was just about to bring out the topic but she looked like he asked her to have her teeth pulled out instead. 

"Then… what?" She asked warily. 

Broaching the subject suddenly and wearing this weirdly unnatural face made her a little nervous.  

"In half a year I will be marching with Father to fight the invaders from the northwest. The war might take longer than estimated. I don't want to wait." 

She was thinking the same. Ever since they confirmed their feelings when he returned from his last expedition the two of them had been sneaking behind the elders to develop their relationship and lately… the thought made her face hot.  

"You and I have been together for very long. If we keep delaying, your reputation will be compromised. I also don't think that I can wait that long… you and I have been a couple for…" 

"No, we have not!" Ayan denied blushing. "W-We've only just kissed and t-touched a little bit…"

He laughed seeing her misunderstood his meaning. Clayton rubbed her nose, "I wasn't referring to that."

"R-Really not?"

"No."

Oh, is that it? She patted her chest. 

She thought he was talking about the shameful things she saw in the book when a couple comes together in bed. She had been preparing herself on how to get through with less fear but Clayton, this rogue, took advantage by conditioning her. So now instead of being afraid, she became too sensitive. Although there is still a long time, just the thought that the two of them will eventually cross that line gives her a fluttery feeling inside and every time he vaguely mentions it, she will instantly be reminded of the damn book!  

Ah, no, no, no… A maiden should act like a maiden before the wedding night! 

Blushing furiously, she looked up to him. "Your fault."

He smiled, not the least bit ashamed. "Going back to the subject, I was thinking maybe we can hurry up, skip the formalities of public engagement and go straight to the wedding. What do you think?" 

While saying so, he was caressing her cheeks with the back of his hand gently. 

"M-Marry me so soon?"

"Or else? Let you change your mind?" There is no way! The maiden is already in his mouth, the next thing to do is to like it clean and swallow down. 

"Are you sure about this?"

His expression fell, "Why the hell not?"

The stupid girl sat still and looked at him like a frightened mouse. Perhaps realizing that her question was wrong. He was planning to lecture her more but it was hard to act sternly when faced with a look like that.

"Fool."

Ayan bit her lip and played with her fingers timidly. "I, I was wrong…" then she peeked at him, "But I as well would like it to happen soon." 

The cold night wind brushed the bed curtains softly. 

Clayton smiled triumphantly. "Don't doubt me next time."

"Yes." Her eyes lit up, forgetting her fever and unseemly appearance she pounced on him like a cat. The warm skin of her chest pressed closer to his face. It was so close that both their temperatures and scents melded together intimately. 

Ayan was the first to withdraw knowing she might pass the disease to him. A pity though since she loved being held. Just as she leaned back to her pillow, a shadow above her head blocked her view. At that moment, there was only Clayton's face coming nearer.

"My lady… your sweetheart is going to war soon. What if while I was away someone came to steal you from me?"

"Rest assured, I won't be snatched." Considering her bad reputation all over the capital. 

But Clayton is not assured. "It's a pity I cannot bring you with me."

Saying so, the simple caressing turned into intimate touching. His fingers traced her red lips, her chin, her neck down to the smooth clavicle. 

"Marry me okay?"

Ayan was hypnotized by those deep blue pools within his eyes. The voice like mellow wine warming the body. The fresh scent of fir with a note of evergreen coming off him. She nodded in agreement. 

"Open your mouth…" he whispered. 

She came back to her senses, "I, I have a cold."

The corners of his lips rose and his eyes twinkled. Cold or whatever, it won't stop him. It was the last she saw before he went in and deepened the kiss. Clayton circled his hand to her waist intimately drawing her to him. The mad onslaught made her shiver not from cold but from an unknown comfortable sensation she felt when he sucked on her lips and stirred her tongue with his.

In the vast room, the sound of their mouths and his groan intertwined created a muffled sensual noise. When Clayton leaves space for her to breathe, the wetness coating their tongues would spill out of their lips. The ravishing sight made his breathing more ragged. 

"I heard from the old nanny... that... it's faster to recover if you pass the illness to another," he murmured, then moved up biting her ear. "I'm willing to suffer on behalf of my lady."

"Incorrigible." She groaned, smacking his arm lightly. 

"I will be gone for a while for sure…"

Clayton looked back on the door, making sure it was locked. He pressed her back on the bed.

"My lady, we can't wait for next year to be wed." His fingers ran through the satin ribbons of her nightwear and slowly pulled out the knot securing the high-necked collar. As the fabric loosened, the scenery inside was revealed. 

Clayton's blue eyes changed into a darker shade. The snow-white twin peaks dotted with two pink berries spilt out freely as soon as the restraints were gone. 

"I think they have grown much bigger since last time…" he chuckled, blowing a warm breath to it. 

Ayan's face burst into flames. "Rogue!"

He laughed then kissed her cheek. His lips reclaimed hers once again madly swirling in her mouth as if to completely devour her. His restless hand began to meander on the tender skin of her shoulders. The other possessively palmed the soft bouncy mound making her inhale a startled breath.  

Amazing how he could easily cup her face with his hand but when it comes to her breast, he couldn't hold much of its softness. It spills in between his fingers like dough. With a little mischief, he pinched the pink berry and scratched it with his nail sending a violent shock all over her body. 

"Ahh!" 

Clayton bit her mouth, "Ah?"

She looked at him with wet purple grey eyes like a rare rutile gem. Still lost in the afterglow. 

"My little minx..." he smiled, their noses touching. 

In the end, he couldn't hold back from playing too much. He pulled the bed curtains down and climbed to her bed. 

Ayan returned to her senses, "We can't… we're not married yet."   

"I know," he whispered evilly. His blue eyes began to exude a lustre of gold flecks. "Just help me out a little bit. You know what to do, right?"

   

Night at the royal palace. 

Adelheid stood in front of the king inside the royal study for half a day now neither eating nor drinking.

"Bastard, what did you say?" King Oz sneered.

"I will not marry Lady Elford no matter what."

CRASH

Another porcelain cup was broken into slags.

"Do you know what kind of scandal you made this time?! Everyone was talking about how you dropped a high-born lady for a mere baron's daughter. You not only tainted the royal family's name, but you also turned many old families' hearts against us!"

Adelheid looked at him stubbornly, "Your Majesty, even though Camilla's origin is low you must not forget that she is a Diviner of the kingdom. That alone makes her worthy of--"

A harsh slap interrupted his speech. The dull pain spread slowly until it turned piercing. Somewhere inside his mouth, a skin broke and bled, he could taste it. But he had to swallow the uncomfortable taste. 

"I know how much you favour that woman." The king shouted pointing at his face. To his dignity. "It was because of her you risk challenging my temper. I am warning you, this scandal has to be remedied."

Adelheid clenched his fist. His heart and mind unwilling, the king could clearly see that and no matter how much he tried to convince him the little bastard still insisted on his own choice. 

King Oz walked slowly. The trace of a decadent monarch gone in a second replaced only by a vicious beast lurking around as if trying to test its prey. Those scrutinizing eyes were not the same as when it was clouded by alcohol and indulgence. 

Adelheid could feel his gaze on him. Such intensity was palpable like a leather strap choking his neck inch by inch. Once again he was that little boy who first came into the palace and dragged back into the discipline room to learn every aspect of being a royal heir. From his speech, dressing, food and gestures. Even his very thoughts and choices had to be in line with the flawless successor King Oz pictured.  

He had to become the manifestation of the ideal the king failed to achieve. Though not spoken openly, he knew in his heart that he could only be a toy in a string.  

After long hours of standing, he still did not change his mind. King Oz slapped the table and violently ejected him out of the royal study. 

  

Back to the prince chamber, when he is finally alone, the tight nerves he'd been hanging on this whole day finally eased. 

"My son… Your Highness," The woman in the court lady's dress wiped her tears. "How could you argue with your uncle over that woman?"

She hurts to look at her boy being beaten by the king but since she gave up custody and let him be adopted as royal heir their status was no longer the same as simple mother and child. Every inch of his person now belonged to the palace. 

"Mother, you know it very well," Adelheid said lightly. 

The woman stopped her sobbing but her heart was tired. 

"The king may appear to reprimand me ruthlessly because I insisted on choosing Camilla, however," he paused, wiping the blood off his lips. A mocking sneer then appeared. 

The harsh lessons from his youth had taught him how to best protect himself within these walls. 

"--If I didn't act foolishly his suspicion towards me would only grow deeper. Elford House is very wealthy but pulling them to my side will only incur his dissatisfaction."

"This…" his mother was speechless. 

"The royal uncle may be incompetent into running the kingdom but when it comes to his possessions, he is brutally selfish and cunning. Lattice is his property, the moment I show interest in the crown, he will not hesitate to eliminate me, that is why I need to act accordingly."

In order to hide his deepest thoughts, he had to pretend to be a puppet on the string. 

King Oz saw his potential to make the kingdom flourish and elevate it to a much higher position. But Adelheid's talent is endangering his prestige as king and may eventually eclipse his own. He cannot allow that. Adelheid may have all the qualifications of an heir, but as long as he does not pass the crown, everything still belongs to him. 

As for his nephew? What Crown Prince? He only needs his talent, nothing else. And Adelheid was very clear with that.

 

"Milady, why is it that instead of dissuading the prince from pursuing Lady Elford, you seem to support him more?" 

"I support him?" Camilla smiled faintly. "Do you think so?" 

She must mean her tearful speech in the dance hall. 

The maid's eyebrows curled, at a loss. "Isn't it?"

"What the prince wants is a gentle and obedient wife he can show off. Not a jealous shrew or a scheming slut. Why do you think that despite the king's opposition to me towards his nephew I can still keep up with the prince?"

The maid shook her head not knowing the answer.

"The reason I can still stay was exactly because the king allows it. If it had been the opposite, I should have been sent to a faraway mountain long ago. Another thing that makes the king choose me despite my humble origins because of my virtues as the ideal princess fit for the royal family."

"But you are a precious Diviner, a prestige second only to the crown."

"No, that's where you're wrong. Being a Diviner could indeed put me in a high position but that will never make me princess." Camilla said bitterly. 

So what of power? 

Lineage and bloodline were still the most important factor for catching the eyes of these aristocrats. She knew that fact ever since small, that is why she had not much joy when her light magic developed.  

"Once the prince mentioned the engagement to Ayan, she would come jumping right back to him like a child eager to accept candy. We all know how much she adores the prince. I only need her to say that she is willing to become his second wife. I can be generous." she said proudly.

"As long as she cuts off her connection to Clayton and personally tells him she loves His Highness more, that will be enough. The moment she does, Clayton will voluntarily withdraw their verbal engagement and will not associate with her further."

As much as she hates to admit it, she knew Clayton loved her to the bones. He is willing to do anything for her to be happy. Even if that means setting Ayan free.

"When she gets her wish of becoming Adel's woman, Clayton will give up." 

Finally, someone as great as he will no longer be stained by trash like her. 

The leaves rustled as the wind blew. From the thick clouds above, a sliver of moonlight manages to peek through illuminating half the face of the lady faintly revealing a cold sinister smile.

Camilla was too overjoyed she failed to restrain her expression. The maid accompanying her saw the image that began to haunt her dreams. 

 

Ah, what a sad cycle. King pretends he likes Ayan for his nephew but in truth he is afraid he might gain a huge backing from the wealthy Elford House. Meanwhile Adel knows this and pretends to insist on Camilla to dispel the king's suspicion. On the other hand Camilla is also aware that the king was in favor of her instead of Ayan. While she pretends to be a kind and generous woman whose willing to share Adel, her real intention was to lure Ayan away from Clayton. Unfortunately she thought wrong. Ayan will never choose Adel over Clayton :)

24