42. Wake Up…
578 3 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

On that day he saw her being swallowed by the snow, Clayton felt his heart stop beating and he has not recovered even now that she is perfectly safe lying in bed. The twin’s usual lively greeting whenever they see him has not been heard since. In fact, they look at him with a bit of resentment.

The twins and Milk came out from the fairy ring when she completely lost consciousness in his arms. It was also the day Coco introduced himself as a spirit residing in the ring. He explained that Ayan forcibly broke the restriction to hide the boys inside inadvertently causing a backlash. Although she succeeded, the children couldn’t stay for long or they would be locked up inside until she recovers.  

“We do not know how long she will remain asleep. Ayan’s last and strongest wish was to keep them safe, I have to send them out before the fairy ring follows the command and completely traps them.”

Thankfully, according to the Grand Magister, Darius, one of these days Ayan will be able to wake up soon. Since the accident, Lachlan offered for them to stay in the Morrigan manor as long as they want while he arranges things regarding the mercenary group. When the preparation was finished and things had settled down, Clayton decided to temporarily rent a yard in the city near the mercenary office then transferred Ayan and the children. This way, he can easily come home to watch his family and respond to the group when there are emergencies. It was an arrangement to make things easier for everyone. 

Although he and Lachlan had a friendship, it was still not proper to impose on him and leave his lady to his home. 

While she sleeps, changes slowly begin to happen all over the continent. In Lattice, Dysi and other kingdoms up north suffered from monster attacks. The chaos continues to move downward and even some parts of Asturia are beginning to feel them. 

Many days later… 

Clayton was out meeting with the mercenaries in the training ground. Knoll and his gang accepted the new fighting method the Thorns proposed in order for them to upgrade their skills and join the next expeditions.  

“The notice of recruitment came from the 5th Order currently in the Schwarz Bog. The mission is a Level-3 difficulty, unlike the ones we had before.” Kanon informed everyone in the field.

The men stopped their practice when he came along with the poster to announce the condition of the new request. Level 1-2 difficulty missions outside the city normally include fighting weak furies and wraiths scattered in woodlands and towns. As for higher difficulty, it was usually the seasoned soldiers and retired mercenaries with enough experience that handled those kinds of tasks. 

“The 5th Order suffered severe damage and most of their knights fell into the curse, the only Warlock accompanying them could not handle the ablution by himself.”

There was news of the new Diviner visiting nearby towns some days ago but when the request for aid of the 5th Order came, it was said that they were too late because she and her escorts had already set off back to the imperial capital.

“If that is the case, shouldn’t they request reinforcement from the capital?” Fatty Lam inquired. 

“At the fastest speed, it will still take a whole week before the troops from Ava arrive here. By then, the 5th Order may have already been annihilated.” 

The men nodded in understanding. Their faces held a look of contemplation. Schwarz Bog is surrounded by a jungle. There are plenty of medicinal materials some pharmacologists covet in there, unfortunately, the risks were too high. None dared to venture out just to gather herbs and ingredients. 

It was speculated by other mercenary groups that the 5th Order received the mission because of an aristocrat's appeal. If it were any ordinary nobleman, even with a huge price the Imperial Legion would dare not allow its people to go out. Perhaps, it was requested by someone with a special status, and based on the number of soldiers used, the ingredient might be urgently needed. Regrettably, they met a mishap while in the middle of the mission and are now in a terrible state. 

“What about the city garrison?”

Kanon shook his head and rolled up the request. “Five hundred knights from the city garrison were deployed to accompany the 5th Order’s expedition. It is assumed that they were also one of the victims.” 

Just what kind of golden medicine are they trying to get?! Such a number. 

The field grew silent. None of the men spoke their mind out, but each of them understood the recruitments real purpose. This was no longer an expedition but a rescue mission no doubt about it. But there is a terrible lack of manpower. 

“If we finish this course early, will we be able to join?” Knoll asked suddenly. He and his brothers had no experience in fighting in a deeper forest where stronger monsters reside but the new training method has taught them plenty of useful techniques under the guidance of Thorns. 

They were looking forward to the actual combat that even the news of the 5th Order’s demise could not shake them. On the contrary, it made the men more eager to help knowing that sooner or later those things will come to wreak havoc in their hometown.  

“If you finish with the required course,” Clayton spoke from the hallway. 

He wore a long black tunic made of high-quality bovine leather and with metal buttons following Ayan’s sketch of a modern long coat. An odd but good looking boots and finally a tailored inner shirt. The mercenaries saluted and stood straight unconsciously as he neared their line up. Who would have guessed that the man they accidentally met in the forest would be the famous young commander of the continent?! He is a figure most men idolize and envy. 

Clayton looked at the determined faces of their new brothers for a brief second before deciding, “Very well, you may sign up to join. The limit is three days.”

Thorns accepted the recruitment from the mission board, surprisingly, other groups as well decided to join and give aid to the 5th Order now stuck in the forest. As the day of departure arrived, Clayton bid farewell to Ayan. 

Although he was reluctant to leave her and the children once again, an emergency that could greatly affect their lives arrived and he had to lend a hand to help. For the time being, he had to hand over the care of his family under reliable people’s care. 

 

Milk looked at his human mama laying still in the bed for so many days already. What happened? Slowly, he hopped on the chair then jumped into the bed softly. His pink paws make small dents on the soft covers. 

Mama breathes evenly. Her face was still pink but there was no other expression on it. He misses it when she smiles. He also misses it when she’s mad whenever he and the twins sneakily take food upstairs. Those snowy days in the cottage were fun. His pink nose twitched as he crawled closer sniffing the familiar sweet scent of the prairie grass and flowers. Mama likes to hug things when she sleeps. Milk inched closer, burrowed deeply into her arm imagining it was still the same as those days. 

But…  

Why hasn't she opened her eyes yet? Then he remembered his leopard mother. She bit his neck and flew so far away to escape those things until they arrived in the meadows. Mother was very tired, they almost fell when they landed but mother still told him to drink milk. Mother’s milk was sweet and warm, he loved it very much he drank until his belly was full. Then after that, mother told him she needed to sleep for a while. 

Milk was a good cub so he licked her face and the two of them rested. He opened his eyes when he was no longer sleepy then went to play. He chased a lot of butterflies and scared many mice. But the leopard mother no longer opened her eyes.  

Will the human mama be the same?

The little cub let out an aggrieved whimper. What about his rub? His snacks? Mama cannot continue to lie there. Raven and Carmine no longer laughed happily since she slept. 

Milk made a low purr. His fat body did not leave Ayan’s side and continued to give warmth. 

This day is a good one with strong sunlight thawing the remnants of the past winter bit by bit. The sleeping animals begin to wake up and find food and trees begin to regain their vitality. 

Ayan woke up with a sneeze. 

The first thing she saw when she opened her eyes was a fluff of white a few inches from her face. She raised a hand to poke at it and it felt very soft. Warm too. 

 


Imperial Capital Ava

House Blackwood

 

Dylan put on his official coat as he hurried towards the stables for his mount. 

“Is something the matter, cousin?” Beatrice, who came from the garden holding a hand shovel filled with dirt, asked. 

“Yes.” He said briefly while fixing the reins of his horse.

As the captain of the 2nd Order of the Asturian Imperial Legion, it was his duty to quickly mobilize his troops as soon as an imminent threat occurred. Ava had enjoyed peace for several years and has not once suffered serious attacks from wraiths and furies because of its tight security. But Dylan, who received Clayton’s warning much earlier, knows that this incident might only be a small sign of the barrier getting weaker. The Dark Continent is beginning to slowly spread its blight in every direction and it will only be a matter of time before they launch a full-scale assault.  

“Be a good girl and do not leave the mansion these days. There is a little situation at the southern outpost so I may not be able to return home for a week.”

Beatrice’s eyebrows curled. So serious? 

“For the meantime, you are in charge of the house. Father is busy at the council and you are alone here.”

“I am not, the servants and guards are here.” She assured him. 

“What I mean is…” he waved himself off, his expression was rather unnatural. “Do not let people in unless they have sent a visitation card beforehand.”

Beatrice looked at him, feeling a little funny. What’s agitating him?

Dylan gritted his teeth. The silly girl still does not get it. Since she came to the capital, some noble sons have already expressed their interest in this cousin of his. Without him, how is she going to handle them if they press a visit?

“That Lord Sidrain’s son—”

“You mean Jeremy?” She laughed, “He would not come here even if I put a knife on his throat. He is very much afraid of you.” 

He raised an eyebrow. Afraid? Good. 

He bid her farewell soon. Beatrice returned to her bald flowers that the Grand Duchess told her to cultivate until they blossomed. The old dragon was very eccentric, she thought she was displeased with her before but then she was invited a second time only to be challenged to grow this wild species. If she succeeded, she said that she would fulfill one of her requests. She does not need it but who knows right? The Grand Duchess of Havenstorm’s favour may come in handy in the future… that is if she can make this thing bloom. 

 

Southeastern Pass

Dylan met up with his 2nd Order troops at the southern gates of Ava and marched along at a breakneck pace to save time. An hour before the sun sets, they arrived at the crossroads leading to the south and unexpectedly met with the estranged 4th Order. 

His troops were currently heading to the most affected town when they chance upon the Diviner’s entourage who had just returned from Fog Forest in the east for ablution. None of the two factions exchanged words of superficial greetings, not even a harsh remark. However, it can be keenly noticed that their eyes held cold hostility as their gazes clashed.  

4th Order was rumoured to have leaned over the Sybil faction just a year after the young Queen ascended as a second consort. As someone who belonged to the Empress faction, naturally, Dylan and his knights held no camaraderie with these renegades. Not even the Diviner’s prestige can make them envy nor change their minds. 

“Captain James,” a soft voice called from inside the sumptuous carriage.

“I am here Milady.” James Eidloth replied tenderly and urged his horse near the window.

“How come we stopped?”

“Milady, a troop heading to the southern towns is marching up front. Apologies for the inconvenience.” 

“Ah, they must have come for the outbreak.” She said with a hint of pity. “If only my power was enough, I could have continued to help more. I blame myself for being easily tired…” 

James' originally hardened expression because of the delay turned even more frightful, “It’s not your fault for depleting your magic easily. You are eager to help but as the elders in the Holy Temple warned, you are still too tender to take on ablution rituals. It was already our great blessing to be able to bask in your kindness, Milady. So please do not put too much criticism upon yourself.”

“Still…” 

“Milady need not worry, these mundane troubles shall not be borne by you. All you need is to rest and practice your magic with peace of mind…” James said gently. 

As soon as they finished conversing, he gestured for his adjutant to come forward to communicate with the 2nd Order to urge them to go faster. Lady Lucia needs to return to the temple and rest, today’s cleansing ritual in the Fog Forest has taken a lot of her vitality. But not everything went according to his wishes. 

The long march lasted for half an hour more as carts and carts of provision rolled by escorted by the knights towards the devastated areas. When he was about to put up a complaint, Dylan indifferently smacked them with the edict stamped with the King’s seal so even as a Diviner, Lucia had to step aside and put the people’s welfare first otherwise she would be labelled as a tyrant. 

Inside the carriage, Lucia, who was suffering from overdraft, had a bluish pale face. She wanted to vomit and faint right away but since there were maids by her side, she could not lose her glamorous image in front of them! 

All she could do was endure and wait until she was in her room.  

Achieving her current position was no easy task, not much different from where she was five years ago when she escaped Dysi and took refuge in Lattice to her mother’s family. If there was one thing she learned in her fast-changing environment that would be her ability to adapt quickly and endure hardships. Her only regret was her lack of power, for the time being, only when she is strong enough she could finally get everything she desires without fearing obstacles. 

She knew that by coming to Holy Temple the opportunity to improve is already at her grasp. Back in the Dysi Kingdom when she was still a daughter of an aristocrat, she had heard of a folktale whispered by older generations about a library. From enchanted scriptures to extinct magic formulas, all of it was kept and carefully protected inside the said place. For those who practice magic, it was a treasure trove no doubt. For those who seek power, that library can become their key. 

As the book foretold, as heaven’s chosen child it was her destiny to suffer the harshness of the world before completely sitting in the pinnacle of glory. But Lucia refused to suffer greatly, after all, she had failed several steps already when Viscount Stellaris and Lord Rozenberg refused her.  

Her chances will fly by if she continues to dawdle. She did not want to repeat the same mistakes. This time, she will move on her own! 


20