43. The Ancient Archives
602 3 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Soft sunlight penetrated through the gaps of the heavy curtains when she opened her eyes. Milk was snoring on her neck with his fur tickling her nose. The little things felt light, it looks like he lost a lot of weight.

As she fully regained her consciousness, she discovered that not only Milk but her sons shed the flesh she painstakingly worked for them to grow. A noise came from outside the unfamiliar room, soon after the twins pushed the door open, rushed to the beds and pounced on her like aggrieved puppies.

“Uuu… Mommy!”

“Mother…” 

The bed was as high as their chins. It took them a lot of effort to climb. Carmine clung to the sheets desperately while pushing his buttocks up but Raven was much smarter. He pulled the chair by the window and used it as a step to put himself to her embrace. Ayan’s sleepwear was soaked by their tears in no time. 

“Oh my darlings, don't cry. Mother is fine…” she cooed in a hoarse voice, fluffing their hair. 

Carmine wiped his cheeks, crawled towards the side table to pour her water. “Water mommy.”  

She felt warm with the little boy’s concern. 

Milk was then stirred by their chorus of howling and crying. 

“Lady Rozenberg…?” Schon’s head poked in, a little hesitant to come forward. 

Ayan was caught off guard. Why is the young genius here? She tried to sit upright but Schon hurried to stop her.

“Please stay on the bed, milady.” 

“Master Schon.” She greeted weakly, their last encounter was in Eustoma and she remembered she owed him and Beck for saving the children. “Could something have happened to Beck?”

Then she realized that no one was supposed to know that she rescued the prince! Ayan pinched herself for her blunder. Schon’s face neither looked shocked nor angry. On the contrary, he seemed to smile softly. He already knew that if it was not for her help that night, His Highness Reginald wouldn’t be able to make it until he arrived. 

“Beck is in a very good condition, milady. He can move around freely without worrying about the after-effects.” The incorrigible brat has travelled several times to Ava to pester his parents. Fortunately, he was recovering fast and the injuries were not aggravated too much.

Ayan’s smile was rather stiff as he explained Beck’s situation to her. This kind of information is not something that should be disclosed casually to an ordinary citizen like her unless…

“Isn’t Milady curious about his condition?” Schon continued. “I can guarantee that Beck is a sensible man and will not waste Milady’s effort in helping him from the verge of death.”

“No!” Ayan waved her hand in denial, “I didn’t mean it like that… I, I was just wondering how you found out?”

“You acknowledged it yourself,” Schon said straight-faced, making her choke. 

“I did not.”

“You just did. Anyway, there is no need to deny this. Thankfully, Milady is now awake and we can finally express our gratitude.”

There is really no need for that… she sighed. She only did what she could for the sake of everyone. 

“Where is this?” Ayan asked while looking around the room. They needed to get out of the topic fast. 

She was keenly aware that her environment had changed yet again when she woke up briefly and exploded on Clayton. This also is not the little cottage they stayed in the village. Although the room is not too big, it had all the necessary furniture in it. 

“This is the yard in Arpeggio that Lord Rozenberg rented. A lot of things have changed since you were asleep, Milady…”

Schon gave her a brief explanation of how they happen to move here and Clayton’s new career. She also found out that Clayton asked for Beck’s favour to let Schon check her condition. During the time she was unconscious, the young warlock also stayed here in the house to supervise her.

That husband of hers… 

Ayan’s thoughts digress. There were plenty of things she wanted to clarify but she was informed that he went on a mission a few days ago. No wonder she has not seen a shadow of him here. 

“Lord Rozenberg was preparing to take on bigger tasks in the future that was why he established the mercenary group early,” Schon spoke, he did not know what the former marquess and the prince were planning but this rapid rise in prestige can only be associated with their eagerness to become known.

If Schon’s guess was correct, Prince Reginald wanted to re-establish the young commander’s position here in the empire and judging by the Empress attitude towards him, it will not be long until the Imperial Legion is reshuffled. It is estimated that plenty of trash clinging to the corners of the Order will be swept out. 

But all that was just his conjecture. It would be great if that day comes soon. 

“Milady, although you have awakened, you still need to raise your body for several days. You were bedridden for more than a month.” 

“Thank you, I understand…” She replied sadly, the boys had no problems with her staying in bed as long as she opened her eyes again. 

Ayan had a short but meaningful conversation with Schon before he bid farewell to let her rest with her children. The boys missed her so their eyes had swollen from crying. So now here she is in bed with three koalas clinging to her tightly. 

It felt a little stuffy but smelling their familiar sweet milky scents her mind and body relaxed, “Were the babies good?”

“Um!” the twins nodded. 

They did not make trouble while waiting for mommy but they complained that the food their daddy made was not as delicious as she made. They also said that daddy was also not as soft as mommy when hugging. They looked so serious their mouths were pouting you could hang a basket on them. 

Ayan held back her laughter knowing Clayton’s struggle with his children.

One time, the twins pestered their father for the story of the three bears and the blond little girl but Clayton had no idea who they were so in desperation when trying to coax his children to sleep he clumsily told them about his fight with the Thunder Bears. 

It was the same bear anyway. He thought. 

Unfortunately, instead of falling asleep. The story made them wide awake with excitement. Since then, bedtime has become even more difficult. After crying their heart out, the children had unknowingly closed their eyes. There was only Milk purring by her side enjoying her deluxe belly rub. 

“Oh, look at you. How could our Milk be so thin?” She asked, distressed. It seems Clayton’s cooking skills need to be improved. 

Milk tilted his head cutely and put his pink paws on her nose: I’m a formidable snow leopard cub of the winged tribe mama, not a piglet!

Ayan took out freshly picked grapes and gave them to him. “Don’t worry, when you grow up I will give you more meat so that you can transform.” 

Meat!!! His wings came out and flapped back and forth in delight. 

She played with him for a while and enjoyed the gentle sunlight entering the room. She did not expect to have more encounters with the Beck and Schon duo. As for the matter of her going out in the middle of the night deep in the woods, Schon does not seem to question her motive and just went on with the flow. A lone woman trekking in the snow does not make sense. But he did not bring it up. This isn’t right, at the very least, they should be more vigilant. Ayan admitted that her impulsive decision could lead to Beck’s suspicion. More than his gratitude she was more dreading the investigation.

In his room, Schon took out the wide warlock vestment he was wearing and sat at the edge of the bed. Grand Magister left in a hurry this morning and said he would be back later in the afternoon. 

His wanderlust still isn’t cured after all these years. Thinking of Ayan, he was surprised to find out that their family had a chance encounter with that elusive old man. In fact, there are plenty of mysterious coincidences with the Rozenberg family. One little movement from them can cause a huge change in the people who they encounter. Everything began when they got out of the Thornwood Forest and met the desperate mercenaries. 

Does such luck truly exist? 

He knew Ayan was wary of these changes as well and seemed to be treading carefully.  

The Grand Magister already confirmed her identity. Lady Rozenberg slept from the midst of winter to the beginning of spring, this gave them ample time to investigate everything about her. And they were amazed by the result. 

If not for accidentally meeting them on the way, the merchant carrying cursed artefacts would not be discovered. Along with it, the corrupt governor and his collusion with the bandits were also brought out. The result inadvertently crippled Sybil’s influence in Eustoma. Aside from that, the biggest fortune they gained was Beck and the mercenaries' exclusion from the contamination of cursed artefacts. 

Everyone knows that contamination is almost impossible to solve. People can only wait for their families and loved ones to become mad and eventually turn into frenzied beings. But Beck and everyone made it.  

Leaving Eustoma, the Rozenberg family temporarily stopped in Morrigan estate. It was then that another mysterious thing occurred. The Viscount Stellaris who had long been sentenced to die by the end of the year because of his unusual illness miraculously regained his health. As everyone in the capital speculated Lachlan Morrigan was maliciously struck by a life-draining curse, it not only crippled his fighting ability but also aimed to completely erode his mind. 

To avoid accidents, he voluntarily retreated to his fief with the excuse of recuperating. Who would have expected he would heal? This feat was naturally inseparable from Ayan as her food was the only thing that passed the viscount’s dried up palette. Then there was that report about a magical shop. It just appeared out of nowhere one day… 

Why was the food offered in those small stalls the same as the ones she served the viscount? And those who have eaten the food were cured of minor illnesses caused by the cold weather. It was only a small feat but it prevented an outbreak of disease and many deaths during winter.

Adding those things together, he concluded that Ayan might possess archaic magic that none in the empire has studied. He also knew that before her power was fully understood, she was vulnerable. Magic that no one has seen can be viewed and easily used as a threat.

 


Holy Temple, several days passed.

 

Behind the tall exquisitely trimmed walls, arches and carved beams, lies the snow-white roads of the solemn place shimmering like precious stones under the sun. The Holy Temple is situated atop a mountain like a crown overlooking all of Imperial Capital Ava.

The sacred domain is divided into several areas starting from the lower buildings where tall and flowering trees prosper above green lawns, curving rivers and streams to exquisite rock formations. Stone staircases that go hundreds of steps lead to the upper part of the mountain opening it to a more majestic scene for misted valleys and cloud covered peaks. Upon ascending, one would feel how it was to be in another world. 

The mountain’s ethereal beauty remained unchanged as years passed amid the sea of clouds and soothing silence of nature. 

Old Darius appeared inside the massive library at the innermost sanctum where only elders and himself are allowed. He came as quiet as the breeze and walked on its polished wooden floors like a feather seeking the most treasured scrolls in one of the shelves. Because it has been a long time since he came here, the old warlock admits he had forgotten where he placed those books and important scriptures. 

Thankfully, he has a habit of living a tiny bit of his mana on things he deemed as valuable. The old warlock’s face split into a smile, then he raised his hands and tried to resonate with the scrolls he left. Nothing was felt for a few seconds, he was growing impatient when he suddenly noticed a tiny bit of reaction. 

Without further ado, he followed where the resonance was coming from leading him to a far dusty corner. Shortly after arriving at the last shelf by the wall, Old Darius picked on a tattered looking scroll, followed by three large books, and another set of scrolls. 

Satisfied with it, the old warlock disappeared immediately. 

Right after he was gone, the long-locked library door was opened. 

A group of young warlocks in their white vestments filed in as if escorting someone. 

“Elder Castel only gave us a quarter of an hour, milady, please use the time wisely.” 

Lucia stepped in with a soft smile on her face. The robe tailored only for her magnified the soft and gentle appearance adding more to the growing admiration of her peers.

“I will make the best out of this limited time,” she said humbly, “Being allowed to enter this place is already enough for me.”

“If milady really set her heart on studying, we can place another request. You are the empire’s only Diviner, you must have this privilege.”

“Yes! Learning more of Holy Magic is important for your growth. Why must the elders restrict anyone from entering here?”

Lucia had a helpless smile, “You should not speak this way… this is not to be permitted. I know I…” She did not finish her words and only gave a melancholic smile. 

The men following her felt their chest tighten in despair. They knew it was because of the old rule that only the Grand Magister and people he chooses can freely use the library’s knowledge. Lucia was also aware of this but she somehow managed to convince one of the elders to let her enter for a short time. 

Everyone was splitting their heads into studying how to alleviate the sudden rise of miasmas in the forests and counter-measures if by chance it reached the fringes of the city. With a little urging and showing her sincerity to help some of the elders were moved. Yes, they finally have a Diviner. They must quickly train and give her all the resources she needs as soon as possible. 

Learning was one of the reasons she was eager to come here, as for her main aim? Lucia smiled sweetly. 

After a quarter of an hour of waiting outside, the young warlocks stood like sentries eager for her return. As the door creaked open, all four of them raised their heads in anticipation. Lucia came back looking as gentle as before. None has noticed the tightly clenched fists inside her sleeves of the hideous look in her eyes when she failed her purpose. 

“Congratulations milady,” one of them greeted. 

Lucia flinched as if she was burned. His words were comparable to a taunt when she did not even manage to read a single thing in that damned place! 

Why?! How could she not see the words?!   

Lucia held her violently beating heart and was at a loss for a long moment. Where did she go wrong? 

And the worst thing of all was, the important books she came here for were gone… how could they be gone when the Grand Magister is yet to return here? She was sure that none had entered the library for so long after secretly inquiring around. Not even a cleaner entered since the doors were locked. As for the Elders, they had no time to visit here. 

Could there be someone out there who knows the value of those books aside from her? Has he or she stolen them? The colour on her face faded when she reached that conclusion.



20