53. The Collector
337 5 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

"Welcome everyone." 

Eudith Guildford looked younger than her real age.

The guests stared at the voluptuous woman standing at the entrance with unrestrained admiration. This is the hostess of the party that many recognized from several interactions and dealings outside. Lachlan and Clayton knew her no doubt and followed the throng of masked people being led into a more private area of the mansion. 

The woman stood quietly inspecting each person stepping in. With finely combed straight brown hair and light green eyes, her appearance never failed its effect of enthralling anyone whenever she came into the spotlight. For someone almost four decades old, she rather looked like a young worldly adult.  

"What do you say Clay we throw in a few bets?"

"I'd rather do it in a more familiar crowd."

"There you go being nitpicky again. Madam Guildford may have some questionable business on the side but I hear the prizes weren't too shabby."

"Don't tell me you came here just for that?"

Lachlan tilted his head on the side, "What do I, a sickly little viscount, would be risking my health for a few games of chance?" 

"So you didn't come to simply look for something that will break the boredom?"

"Nope. I came here for one thing only." 

Clayton raised a brow. "And what would that be?"

"Probably the same as what you came for," Lachlan replied, gazing warily about the hall and up the balconies as if expecting trouble to pop in. "The inner chambers have a plethora of things abnormal people with bizarre habits would like and the madam, known as The Collector is more than glad to give a continued supply to her wealthy patrons. Those men don't care about money as long as it caters right to their taste. You'd be surprised at what I gathered prior to coming here. For example, this place's connection to many important people of the Circle. I don't know why the cunning madam suddenly opened her secret chambers for her less unsavoury guests." 

"By less unsavoury you mean us?" Clayton emphasized with a pointed look. 

Lachlan chuckled realizing his blunder. "A bad choice of word but, yes it is us. On another note, I supposed there is something unique to see that is why we were allowed access." 

"A rare chance indeed." Clayton agreed then peered over the opened door on their left where a group of scantily clad women were attending to a few intoxicated men. He guessed they must be the 'people with bizarre habits' and the 'unsavoury ones' his friend mentioned earlier. He was going to ignore them soon when a glow of green flashed in his field of vision. 

Almost immediately, the familiar feeling of encountering an evil creature pierced his senses. 

"Demon." 

His words were enough to remove the carefree smile on Lachlan's face.

"I certainly did not come for that but, well it cannot be helped." He drew his sword at the same time the shrieks from the panicked guests arose. 

The muted yet lively exchange within the secret chambers was suddenly interrupted as the surrounding fell into chaos. The guests rushed towards the exit fighting each other for a chance to come out sooner. Behind them follows a woman in gauze and gold chain dress typical of the dancers from the western deserts.

Clayton pulled out the Faerie Wing ready to fight when the possessed woman saw the glow. She halted on her tracks and let out a shrill cry before jumping up to the balconies and changing her target to Lachlan. 

"Guess I'll leave this one on you." 

Lachlan looked at the demon and said drolly, "I'm flattered by the attention but I'm not interested in you."

Thin steel-like claws emerged from her ten fingers charging straight to his heart.  

Clayton sounded as if he was sorry, "The small talk is not working. Perhaps ladies, in general, don't take rejection too well." 

"Nah, the chit is smart." Lachlan said instead, "She knew I was the weakest of us two." 

As soon as he finished talking the demon descended upon him and stabbed forward. Although it was a woman, Lachlan dare not exercise gentlemanly restraints. He reacted quickly and docked, making it hit air. The demon changed direction and aimed towards his side but this time, the claws clashed with the metal blade. Lachlan rotated his wrist for a downward slash. 

The demon was agile, she twisted her body away and wanted to put a distance between them. Lachlan would not allow her since this was his only chance to gain an upper hand. He delivered a flurry of strikes making the demon panic while evading his blows.   

Outside a pillar of blue light rose from the backyard garden near the hall Ayan was at. Clayton's chest tightened and he went to the window to see the situation. Below, several meters from him he saw his wife and the five balls of lights cleaning up what was supposed to be the remnants from that blue glare. 

Behind him, Lachlan's fight with the demon is gradually coming to an end. He managed to lock her wrist from behind and push her down the cold floor. 

There was a suspicious movement on the balcony above Clayton. He looked up and saw a shadow lurking, seemingly spying on-- he found where its gaze fell making his expression harden. 

The spy was after Ayan. He was suddenly anxious to leave the chamber. While his companion fought he secretly released a signal and at the exact moment Lachlan subdued the demon, Clayton tossed a small bottle of holy draught. 

"Use it." 

Lachlan caught it accurately and poured everything into the demon's mouth without spilling a drop. "What's in this by the way?" 

"Something to make her sober." Clayton no longer stayed for a chat and moved to follow the shadow. 

Knowing that he was being chased, the shadow made several turns inside the secret chambers in an attempt to throw him off. Their chase passed every niche where treasures are kept but the shadow was still caught in the auction hall in the end. 

"Milord." 

Johann, along with five more Thorns appeared. 

"Collect evidence around the mansion." When the shadow was dragged over, he made the last attempt to flee. Clayton hit the back of his neck to immobilize him. "Secure this one."

"Yes!" 

A Shadowmonger in an ordinary merchant's house? Johann frowned while prying open the person's mouth and extracting a silver tooth. 

The men took the spy and left as soon as Clayton waved his hand. 

Lachlan caught up with him. "Anything else here?" 

"It's all been taken care of." 

"Hells, of all things to come out in such an unlikely place a demon had to be one. Those things are getting bolder and bolder each day." 

"I'm afraid this won't be the only incident if we fail to stop the blight. The greater the spread, the larger the area those things can move. How is your 3rd Order doing by the way?"

"What remains of my men are still in the camp outside the imperial capital. They will meet with Commander Sidrain's people and wait for him there to relay the message of my recovery. I did not want to return so soon but with Reginald showing himself, enemies from the south might begin to advance their plan."  

With the 4th Order led by old Commander Tremain and his son and 6th by Roy Sybil, the 7th and 8th Order who came from the south will undoubtedly join their faction.   

"Is there any chance of you joining us soon?" Lachlan tossed in a serious question. "The empire's forces are now led by the new generation and other kingdoms see it as a form of weakness. Sooner or later when the friction between factions sparks a war, they will surely be just around the corner to take advantage." 

"I don't doubt it," Clayton replied. "As for joining you, it all depends how fast your crown prince does his part in Ava." 

Right this moment, the said crown prince in the imperial capital holding a sealed decree on his hand sneezed in front of a hundred men on horseback.  

  

When Ayan returned to the mansion, she realized that the atmosphere in the dance hall was somewhat wrong. There are still many guests but she found that a few used the side door exit to board their carriages. 

Leaving so early? 

Clayton was nowhere in sight as well when she peered around to look for him.

"Lady Rozenberg?" The hostess smiled amiably when greeting her along with five more ladies. 

Ayan raised her head and acknowledged the speaker. "A pleasant evening, Madam Guildford." 

Her amiable greeting solicited an infectious laugh from the decadent woman in a scalloped neckline red gown. 

"This humble me is finally given the chance to lay my eyes on the only person who captured the young commander's heart. Through many legendary anecdotes, I have heard about milady's beauty, I dare say, none of those compares to the actual image itself." 

"Madam flatters me, I am but the same housewife and a mother like the rest of the matrons."

"Oh, but this is the truth." Madam Guildford remarked in her breathy voice, those cherry red lips stretched into a smile. She then turned to her companions to get their opinions. "Milady can call me Eudith by the way. All my close friends do." 

"Eudith is right." A fairly young madam winked. 

Another woman doused in a strong perfume came, "It is an honour to be graced by the Marchioness Rozenberg's presence." 

Ayan accepted the compliments and graciously answered inquiries about their stay, some mundane questions about life and so on typical when attending a party. 

"Does milady plan on moving to Ava soon? The season just started." 

"Perhaps in a few days. The family have decided to travel to the imperial capital to visit the new home." Ayan replied. 

"How nice, Ava is vast and rich. Although Arpeggio itself is large, the imperial capital is on entirely another scale."

"So there won't be any more chances to get together with you." One said regretfully.  

"Don't despair, ladies, Lady Rozenberg will inevitably live in Ava. Every aristocrat has to, it's the place closest to the imperial family." 

Suddenly a displeased voice remarked, "The only thing that would require me to enter such a crowded and congested place are important occasions. But for other things, I would rather spend it in the country home." 

Ayan followed the source of the voice and faced a young girl in a blue dress. She wasn't being hostile but merely stating her opinion. She smiled faintly at her and tipped her head. The girl did not expect to be caught and hurriedly turned around to hide her blush. 

"Please, don't be offended," Eudith said. "That girl had always been headstrong and unconventional. Naughty children are always a heartbreak to parents." 

Why do you make it sound as if it was a bad trait? Ayan wondered with narrowed eyes. There is nothing wrong with being quirky as long as it does not cause harm to others. 

"Ah!" A madam beside Ayan exclaimed. "I just now realize, Eudith you sly sly girl! The reason you bravely sent in an invitation to Commander Rozenberg was because of his beautiful wife." 

The madams seemed to realize something and giggled. 

"How could we even forget? Dear Eudith is a woman who loves all things unique and Marchioness Rozenberg here is one particularly alluring lady." 

"It took you a while to realize it." Eudith raised a proud chin, "Everyone here, perhaps those who had come in contact with milady are not blind to such exceeding charms. Perhaps on par with the empire's exalted noblewomen." 

The ladies surrounding them began to grow curious and turned in their direction. 

"I seem to understand what Madam Guildford was trying to imply." A madam whispered ogling Ayan. 

"Yes. I do as well." 

"Especially that bright red hair." 

"Yes! Oh my…"

"Many have imitated that signature look before yet failed miserably. Noblewomen weren't an exemption. Do you think the marchioness…" 

"No, hers appear to be natural. From the colour down to the last curl. Not to mention her face… they're like two peas in a pod."

Ayan had a sinking feeling that the Eudith's intention was not to praise her but to push her into the limelight. In just one word, the crowd began to scrutinize her with eager and meticulous eyes.

"A face is just an outward appearance. No matter how fine a mortal's skin is, it will inevitably wither with time." She said intending to dismiss the topic before it rolls off into a dangerous direction. 

This feeling of unease is very familiar to her especially when people start taking notice of her face. More often than not, the exceptional beauty many envies always evoked unwarranted negative emotions from her peers. 

"But a pretty face is an extra gift especially with such a rare one who resembled a great woman."

"Which woman was it?" 

"The one who was once called the fairy…"  

Ayan's heart thudded but she still held a calm face. "Thank you but, enough with the flattery. I'm no fairy nor could I compare to one." 

Madam Guildford had an innocent smile, "Now that you mention it, Marchioness Rozenberg indeed has a very close resemblance to the one dubbed as Asturia's Crystal Fairy-- Lady Yuliana Havenstorm was it?"   

Havenstorm. The Grand Duchess. Ayan's pupils shrank as those words exploded in her head.

This is not a light matter. How dare these people casually mention it! 

Madam Guildford still had a cool smile on her face when she came face to face to Ayan's cold grey eyes. "Milady--" 

"I dare not claim such a compliment." 

The woman suddenly turned silent. 

"Forgive me ladies for my poor sense of humour. I cannot allow the discussion to continue. Although I am new to the empire I am not ignorant of its laws. As a new citizen, I plan to keep my stay peaceful and my record clean." 

More than two decades ago, the name of the Crystal Fairy was decreed not to be spoken so lightly as requested by the empress herself. Ayan realized that these people did not have any good intentions after leading her to acquiesce to the topic. If she had allowed the false flattery to continue and let herself be associated with the late Yuliana Havenstorm, she would not only earn the ire of those people devoted to the lady but the imperial family's wrath as well.

Thinking that perhaps she was just some thoughtless and airheaded aristocrat, these women dared to take a bite at her. Ayan pressed down the feeling of discomfort in her chest. It seems her infamous reputation is not only known in the Kingdom of Lattice. 

"Ladies, I believe you have frightened my wife enough." Clayton appeared from behind and hugged her waist. "I made you wait long, love." 

Ayan shook her head. "You're just in time."

The people inside the hall were aghast seeing the sweet interaction between the commander and his lady. Isn't the aristocratic circle known for its cold and transactional marriages? Those who live in the upper tier of society regard marriages as a business. They are bound by mutual respect and family rules. However, feelings are excluded and they are free to seek outside partners who will provide them with things they do not get at home. And so long as the pair produces an heir who will inherit their name and the privilege that comes with it, everyone can live harmoniously. 

A loving couple like this is considered unusual. In fact, even those at the bottom of the hierarchy held the same practice as well where benefits come first before personal feelings. 

But the marquess and marchioness are a revelation to them.  

"My lady is new to the empire and is still in the process of adapting. As her husband, I wish only to give her the best experience along with the companion of like-minded friends, however," with a tone that was regretful and solemn, he addressed the matrons flocking his lady like vultures then swept them with a sharp gaze. "It seems that my choice was wrong."

"Marquess Clayton Rozenberg," Eudith said almost breathlessly. The commander appeared out of nowhere and in a close range, "Good eve--" 

"We will retire for the evening. Thank you for the invitation." Clayton cut in leaving no room for argument and whisked his lady in such a flourish under everyone's gaze. 

"W-Wait, milord. Please, there must be some sort of a misunderstanding." Eudith came back to her senses and hastened to remedy the situation but the marquess closed his ears. She followed them as they exited the hall and walked towards the waiting carriage. 

He is a husband before he is a noble and a commander. Clayton would be very sorry for his wife if he let her stay in this insufferable banquet and feel suffocated!  

The guests froze for several moments before realizing that the person they had been waiting all evening was already on his way out. What happened?! 

The warm strong arms closing on her protectively effectively put Ayan's trembling at ease. 

"I'm sorry, you have to be subjected to that kind of treatment from those thoughtless people." Clayton kissed her forehead as they walked. She still hasn't answered him nor let out any sound. Ayan must have been frightened. 

Ayan wasn't intimidated nor was she frightened. She was furious. 

These people dare to mention the deceased daughter of the Grand Duchess. Mentioning her name in vain is forbidden by law as it invokes not only heartache to the old duchess but the harsh fate her child suffered! 

She didn't know why she felt as though a heavy stone was pressed on her heart right at this moment. Lady Yuliana Havenstorm, the empire's most powerful diviner erased from the history books. The one who made a taboo by daring to break away from her constraints and attempted to rise as a Saintess to invoke the spell Entreaty in the High Tower. All of these she did to save the fragile empire from the grasp of the miasma. 

Her life was close to perfect but her end was tragic. 

I feel like a snail crawling to my goal. I can see it but there is still more corners to pass and ugh, User Stats is giving me a heartache. I swear I'm not crying... yet!

14