57. Meeting The Heroine Again
300 1 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

The inner chambers of the monastery are nothing like it was shown outside. There were no fancy carvings and mouldings on the walls nor were there any paintings on the ceilings. Ayan closed her eyes and let her ears be caressed by the soft murmurs of the stream trickling down from the cracks of stone in this underground cave. 

Half an hour ago, Father Vonni separated her from the rest and guided her towards the innermost part of the monastery. Ayan thought they had something important to talk about and readily agreed, had she known that she would be left down here like a stray cat she could have complained! 

Not really. 

When she saw Father Vonni's solemn expression she stopped herself from asking, thinking that perhaps it was a matter of grave importance. From the corridors of the inner chambers, Father Vonni pulled one of the brass torch holders mounted on the wall. With a creak, she faintly heard some mechanism move. Father Vonnie then pushed a heavy stone wall that opened into a narrow passage leading several steps downward. There was a blast of cold air coming from below that Ayan momentarily felt her fine hairs stand. 

If her trust for the elderly monk had been miniscule she would have thought that Father Vonni was trying to abduct and bring her to a dungeon for torture. Several minutes passed as they descended, the old monk spoke. "This is as far as I can take you, milady. The rest is up to fate." He said with a cryptic smile. "We will be waiting for your return above." 

A flood of apprehension washed over her as Father Vonni retreated. Slowly, Ayan scanned the brightly lit place and her breath caught in her throat. From where she stood she saw a wide blue pool of water surrounded by lush vegetation and colourful flowering trees. 

Does the monastery actually have a place like this below?

Up in its domed ceiling made of natural minerals is a wide opening letting the sunshine in. The huge gap reveals the blue sky above and the flocks of birds passing intermittently. Ayan could not tear her eyes away from the sight. From there, bright unhindered light shone, plating the whole place with a warm hue. 

Moments later, Ayan explored the area then looked into the enchanting blue pool just a few inches from her feet. The water was as unblemished as crystal, not even a speck can be seen floating in it. It was so clear that she could see the beautiful scenery reflected on it. 

Ayan gingerly moved closer to the edge. As she stared longer, the mirrored image on the pool seemed to come alive as tiny people appeared dancing among the flowers then, several creatures were frolicking near the water and for a moment, she even imagined a giant beast slumbering comfortably by the pool where those tiny naughty people would fly around it. Their laughter was so alive and joyful that the images seem to be close at hand. Ayan was fascinated by what she saw. 

"Don't look in the water Ayan…" she heard someone call. The abrupt warning stopped her from diving into the water just a hairbreadth away. 

Ayan blinked her eyes nervously, cutting off the beguiling daydream. She later realized that she was almost swallowed by the illusion. 

"Fortunately." She said, patting her chest and stepping back hastily from the edges. 

But, who called her? 

Breathing deeply, she struggled to steady her nerves. Why this place looks beautiful but it's very dangerous. Ayan avoided the water this time and turned her eyes away. Far from where she stood, into the recesses of the underground cave, she found the source of this mysterious blue pool. Water cascaded from in between huge rocks covered with different colours of moss and grass. 

While it was beautiful it was also dangerous and Ayan's normal reaction to things such as this is to close her eyes and shut off her senses hoping for the confusing image to stop. And it did, the mystical scene of the underground Eden disappeared. Just like a passing dream that melted once a person wakes. When Ayan opened her eyes again, she found herself standing in the middle of a small chamber. 

"I see…" 

There were no caves or flowers, nor was there water. It was just a plain old room about ten square meters mottled with cracks and covered with cobwebs. 

"So it was all just an illusion from the beginning." She said with a strange melancholy. 

"We cannot say…" Old White said with a soft smile. "Sometimes illusions show our heart's deepest desire. Some could even be a distant memory." 

The beautiful place aside from danger also gave her a warm familiar feeling. Now it was gone, it felt as though something inside her went along with it. Coco and Old White who were watching her progress inside the fairy ring looked at each other with obvious sadness in their eyes. 

Ayan gave a soft laugh, "Maybe I was just being too sentimental." 

By the way, what was Father Vonni's purpose for bringing her here? That beautiful place appeared so vivid and just within reach. Surely it wasn't just to show her that. Returning to the surface with a head full of questions, Ayan was welcomed once again by the kind elderly monk.

"Congratulations milady for inheriting Naya's blessing." 

Ayan smiled despite not knowing what Father was talking about. She could not recall receiving something. What blessing…?!

Seeing her confusion Father Vonni patiently explained that the monastery has its own inheritance. Decades ago when Naya was still a place of pilgrimage, it was once sought after for its abundant magical energy. Ladies who were born with holy magic often came here for a retreat. 

"I did?" Ayan asked, pointing a shaky finger at herself.

Father Vonni was oblivious to her incredulous expression and proceeded to chatter like an NPC. "A fruitful adventure creates a positive outcome. The miasma covering the forest of Naya and the neighbouring townships has been dispelled. Thanks to milady's blessing the people can now resume their normal lives without the threat of furies and wraiths."

Ayan on the other hand felt like she had been struck by thunder and was nailed to where she stood. 

Oh Lord, she seemed to have stolen the heroine's cheats! 

"Naya grants you luck." 

She is still unable to believe it. So it really was the cheat?!  

"Oh…" was all she could say.

But what were the criteria for receiving the blessing? She had no idea! 

At this point, Father Vonni did not elaborate further and just generously gave her praise. "Just know that Naya can feel people's true intentions. The blessing Milady received is something that does not only benefit yourself but everyone else." 

Ayan nodded her head absently. As someone who wishes that Asturia survives the calamity, this is undoubtedly great news. She and Father Vonni left the inner chambers to return to the outer buildings where everyone settled. 

Her head was still full of questions: Why her? What did she do? Why is the power that was supposed to add a buff to the heroine fly into her hands? 

"Milady?" Father Vonni prompted when he saw she turned as quiet as the dead. 

"I-It's nothing Father, I just feel a little overwhelmed." Overwhelmed is an understatement. With a sigh, she reluctantly accepted it. Well, it's not as if she can confidently give it to that person. 

She was still pissed that the author perfunctorily wrote millions of lives off in just a few paragraphs only to highlight the heroine's glory. She wasn't a frantic novel fan nor a mad critic but this is her reality and seeing it develop in that direction while doing nothing is something her conscience cannot accept. Besides, she wasn't so fond of the author's beloved daughter to give her unwavering trust (aka the heroine). 

With this blessing, maybe they can help the empire more. Although she knew that Ava will not fall because the place will eventually become the heroine and her harem of men's stronghold, the task of cleaning nearby areas of possible threats should still be done. People are still alive and struggling at this moment, this time around Ayan vowed that it was not only the heroine and her selected few who will survive but all of the empire!  

While Father Vonni led her back to her companions, along the way she learned that the underground chamber was once a prayer room of the highest ordained monks. It was a place of solitude and enlightenment and after decades and decades of basking under serene and positive energy, it became holy. It was the most fateful place to receive blessings that were used by the later generation. Father Vonni himself was not sure how the fateful person could receive its blessing; many have tried but failed. But long before Ayan's arrival, the monastery of Naya received an oracle from a foreign Diviner that the one beloved by the spirits will soon come. 

Seeing the cub of the winged leopard tribe nestled in her arms and the five balls of light following her, Father Vonni felt that perhaps it was time and thus tried the lady's fate. 

"Lady Rozenberg?!" The harsh exclamation called Ayan's attention towards the speaker. 

Dressed in a delicate muslin dress and silk robe lined with fine mink fur, Lucia stared wide-eyed at the woman coming out with the monk unable to believe her eyes. What's going on? How did this short-lived woman get here? Countless thoughts flashed in Lucia's head as she hastily recalled the fate of Ayan Rozenberg, the wretched count's daughter from the book. The moment she finished thinking, wariness bloomed in her chest. 

While she scrutinized Ayan, the latter also did the same to her. 

Oh, great! The original owner of the blessing is here. Am I considered a thief? She thought wryly. 

Ayan cast a mild nonaggressive gaze towards Lucia Neu, the heroine of the second volume: Return of the Fallen Duke's Daughter. 

From her family's tragic fall from grace towards her journey as a chattel in a brothel and eventually becoming a mistress, Lucia Neu rose back from the mud with the awakening of holy magic within her. From then on she made several remarkable exploits, washing away the filth of being once sold in the whorehouse and a mistress. Quite a dramatic turn of events but, that was only on the surface where the author wanted her/his readers to see to maintain the rosy background. But what's beneath? 

Ayan had no grievance to this woman aside from misunderstanding Clayton's relationship with her. All of that was cleared now and she felt it would be unjust to be prejudiced based only on what she read. However, being openly minded doesn't mean she is stupid. She will not relax her guard towards a person as unpredictable as the new Diviner. 

And sure enough, her decision was right. 

Lucia swallowed a lump on her throat. Lady Ayan Elford— no, it should be Marchioness Ayan Rozenberg since she married Lord Clayton. The lady in front of her and the one she saw back in Lattice was two poles opposite. One was irate, ugly and brash the other was enchanting, extremely so and has gracefulness dripping at the tip of her fingertips. The last time she saw her in Morrigan estate she was fighting with Clayton because of her sudden arrival but the woman seemed calm now. 

Then, it suddenly hit her. Could the changes be because Ayan Rozenberg did not disappear? She should have fallen into an accident that time at the Morrigan estate separating her from Clayton and the rest. But according to what she heard, Ayan was unconscious all the time and there was no means for her to move on her own changing her fate.

The events followed what's written in the book aside from Clayton's abrupt return resulting in him saving his wife. Lucia inwardly gritted her teeth. If only Clayton did not make it in time... 

She looked at Ayan once again with more hostility in her eyes this time. She would never forget the embarrassment on that day she went to see her fated men. Viscount Stellaris kicked her out of the manor like a stray dog as soon as this hateful woman collapsed. Remembering it, Lucia's face twisted into an ugly scowl. 

"Lady Rozenberg, oh—" Lucia stopped herself abruptly and corrected, "It should be Mrs Rozenberg now, isn't it?"

Wow, poking her right on the sore spot. 

Ayan did not change face at the sudden wave of malice hitting her. Right now she can conclude that the heroine hated her. She sighed inwardly, it was true that they surrendered their title when they left Lattice and she had no hard feelings about it since it was voluntary but now the emperor has already re-established their household's marquisette title. There is nothing to get angry about. However, the fake Ayan would probably go ballistic when told about this which was undoubtedly Lucia's aim. Just look at her smiling so provocatively.

"Everyone, Mrs Rozenberg is an acquaintance of mine. You all are familiar with the former Marquess of Rozenberg, are you not?"

Ayan had to stop the urge to roll her eyes. 

Understanding dawned on the faces of her escort knights. A few years back, Clayton Rozenberg came to the empire and was well-received by the imperial family. However, not long ago they heard that the glorious military house of Rozenberg in the Kingdom of Lattice fell. But how is that related to this lady? 

Everyone's gazes are focused on Ayan now. James Eidloth briefly put his eyes on the woman with a cascade of titian curls above a palm-sized delicate face. The former commander's wife is said to be born with incredible beauty. It's a shame they lost their power due to miscalculated moves. 

"Miss Neu," Ayan replied mildly. She wasn't aiming for a petty verbal spar but people around her simply do not want her to feel comfortable so she threw in her concoction of verbal gasoline. "Your service under House Rozenberg may be brief but it delights me to hear you still consider me an acquaintance despite our lack of interaction." 

Lucia's smug face changed and there was a tendency to combust any moment. She felt Ayan was subtly reminding her of her lowly status as a servant back in Lattice. She turned to her companions nervously, fearing that they might find out about her past. 

James beside her felt her uneasiness and mistook it as something else. He thought that the woman in front of them was threatening Lady Lucia. He frowned in dissatisfaction. "A woman of gentry class casually addressing the empire's Diviner is an unforgivable insult." 

When Lucia heard him defending her, the twisted frown in her face eased and was replaced by a deliberate malicious smile. 

Ugh, wet blanket. Ayan thought. 

"Come and bring this woman to be enlightened about etiquette when meeting people of higher ranks." The wet blanket Captain James commanded. 

Ayan's reply was a hearty chuckle. "Sir wouldn't even inquire whether I have done any offense?"

"No need." Lady Lucia confirmed her status herself but the cheeky woman still wanted to argue. 

"I have never known that the Empire of Asturia had such a rule. Although the Diviner enjoys a noble status it is only equal to a countess rank at most and certainly cannot be used as a means to oppress those below. As someone who carries the banner of benevolence and charity, isn't your action a bit contradictory?"

Lucia looked at the loyal Captain James Eidloth bent on wholeheartedly defending her honour with joy. A bit of her female vanity was satisfied. She patted his arm and said softly. "Mrs Rozenberg is right, it was only this time that she accidentally addressed me wrongly. Not long ago she was someone with a noble standing herself but alas," she sighed and stole a peek at Ayan. "But I am also someone recognized by the Holy Temple. Though Mrs Rozenberg may not be used to her current identity and find it hard to pay respect to me we still cannot be lax on etiquette." 

"Quite right." Ayan agreed, smiling sweetly. 

"It was only a matter of address." Father Vonni said with a mild tone. 

Lucia heard the monk speak for Ayan and finally took notice of him. The old robe on his body was no different from the monks they saw around the monastery and there seemed to be nothing special on it. However, it was the silver chain tied to his waist and the insignia dangling on its ends that gave Lucia a bad premonition. 

Father Vonni ignored the so-called Diviner and looked at the people swaggering in the walkway like headless chickens. With an open reprimand, he said, "Even the Holy Temple prides itself in its kindness, why should someone who is barely recognized as a Diviner and her cohorts act rampantly using their name?"

"Insolent!" James's hand dropped to his scabbard followed by his subordinates but before they could inflict any harm they found with extreme horror that their swords had been tossed high in the ceilings by some powerful force.

"Children should listen when adults speak."

"You!" Captain James glared at Father Vonni which the latter returned with an arctic gaze.

He suddenly felt incredibly vulnerable with the absence of his weapon. On the other hand, seeing them at a disadvantage, Lucia quickly cowered behind him seeking protection regardless of her companions. 

All of this fell in Ayan's eyes.

"The Monastery of Naya is under my leadership, if the lords and ladies do not find the environment satisfactory please refrain from causing commotions and disturbing the peace. You may resume your journey towards the town ahead." Father Vonni's amiable face is now stern, with a wave of his hand the intruders were pushed out of the cloisters back to the outer courtyard. 

The group of fifty or so people looked at each other dumbfounded! 

"What just happened?"

"D-Did you see that?!"

Lucia's face paled, she rushed to the main door and knocked on its doors "No! We must stay…" 

"Milady." Captain James is now having a headache. He thought this place is just some shabby abandoned monastery, who would have expected that a master lives here?! He acted rashly and offended the great elder. 

"We must stay!" Lucia insisted as panic flashed in her eyes. "I, I have to."

The treasure is still inside waiting for her. She needed it! 

"I'm sorry milady, it was because of me." James said remorsefully. 

"What do we do now?" Lucia rambled on. "I can't fail. I'm already here!"  

"Let me ask for forgiveness from the great elder first perhaps…" His words hang, feeling the pride he surrounded himself with crumble bit by bit. Aside from being a knight, he is a noble son himself. He had never lowered his knees so humbly to anyone before but for the sake of Lady Lucia— he looked at the petite girl standing dazedly in front. Despair slowly dimmed her usually bright eyes. He vowed to protect her. This is something he should do. But at the small corner of his mind, a resistance rose. Thinking that if Lady Lucia did not start a petty quarrel first, none of them would be in this situation. 

"You shouldn't have done that." Lucia said looking at him disappointedly and with a hint of the blame on her tone she added, "You know I need to come here for prayer…" 

"Milady…" he said, his fists clenched. His heart turned cold for some reason. "I didn't mean to hinder your purpose."

The frantic Lucia was even more stimulated and couldn't help raising her voice. "How could you raise your sword inside the monastery? No matter what you shouldn't have— oh, what are we supposed to do now?"

A long moment of silence passed between them before James sighed in defeat, "In order to compensate for my transgression, allow me to offer an apology to the masters inside."

Lucia's panic-stricken face calmed down, her eyes turned to him brightly as if seeing a saviour. "Yes, yes you do that." She nodded again and again. "It was only a petty argument, the hermit of Naya will understand." 

Seeing her hopeful gaze gave Captain James Eidloth a very complicated feeling. 

Inside, Ayan was sent back to their resting chamber after her brief adventure. She had no idea that those who were ejected mischievously by Father Vonni were only invited back after the moon rose high in the darkened sky. 

11