58. Working Together As A Couple
385 2 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

"Boys, mum is back." Ayan called out as soon as she entered the room. 

The twins and Milk are nowhere in sight. Clayton was seated on a wooden chair at the foot of the bed reading a book when she came in. From the passage written on its leaves, his blue eyes moved towards his wife's lovely face looking rather mischievous. 

But his tone was as soft as usual. "Good evening, milady. Did you finish your errand with the head monk?" 

"It was done and it turned out well." 

"I'm glad to hear it."

Ayan did not hide anything from him and recounted what she witnessed. The whole time she was telling the story of her short adventure, Clayton sat quietly and listened to her with a small smile on his lips. Her cheeks flushed when being stared at so intimately like this so she quickly changed the subject. Leaning on the door, she tilted her head playfully. "If I remember correctly, the apprentices put us in different rooms." 

"Of course they have." He agreed innocently. "But since my lady is someone who couldn't bear to separate with me, they have to acquiesce to a simple request."

Hm, it's a miracle he hadn't bitten his tongue when spouting nonsense.  

"I know you will feel uneasy without me," Clayton said, rising from his seat. 

Sir listen here; I, your lady, simply will not! 

But protesting was futile. She can see his things scattered about the room so casually leaving no time for her to kick him out. She was flustered by then but he was acting as he usually did making her wariness rather silly. Surely the man remembers they are in a monastery as of the moment. Clayton watched his lady look on guard then chagrined the next and found himself amused by it. He took a step further but caught himself and stopped, he put a fist to his mouth and coughed unnaturally, embarrassed of his action. 

He already broke the rule by sharing a room with her. If he kept making moves to excuse his behavior he might as well pack his bag and pitch a tent outside before the monks kicked him out of Naya. That can't happen, why would he even let himself be separated from his wife? The brats already took much of her time during the day, come evening they would still jump around and hinder him. Such a pain raising boys.    

"Earlier, you mentioned about the army's problem with provision." Ayan said to remind him of what they talked about in the carriage. 

"The prince sought my opinion about the inadequate supplies." He ran a hand over his jet black mane. "Those grains that were supposed to arrive from the southern fiefs failed to reach the camp and the nearby areas can only provide a small amount." 

Ayan looked at her husband's troubled expression and distress filled her grey eyes. She knew he wanted to help his comrades get by and was in a hurry to find an immediate solution. Gently, she took his hand then put it around her and went into his embrace. "I want to help too." 

Clayton's whole body froze. "Ayan—" 

"I know what you're worried about," she whispered softly. "But this is something that is not easily solved. Right now the army is in a crisis and God knows when the aid will come." 

Clayton was embarrassed to impose on his lady but he liked it very much when she was earnestly trying to comfort him. This matter is very serious, he does not wish to involve her with this and inadvertently put her in harm's way. Despite Ayan's insistence, he had to think it over several times before considering her suggestion. 

In the meantime, Ayan went to find her children to make sure they had settled comfortably. The twins were out in the inner courtyard playing with Milk and the mercenary brothers. Carmine was giggling nonstop riding on Knolls shoulders while he tried to reach for the takraw ball that was caught on a branch. Raven held Milk sitting on the grass. Seeing that her babies were having no trouble, she went to help in the kitchen to prepare their dinner. 

While she was there, she met the monks in-charge of the meal and found that their menu was limited due to the lack of ingredients. Fortunately, the knights hunted game meat earlier so using their journey as an excuse, Ayan gave them different vegetables and herbs to use, seeds to plant as well as a list of cooking methods. Actually it was a hardbound cookbook Ayan bought from a souvenir store during a trip. It was made to look vintage and has hand drawn images. Coincidentally, the recipes use old techniques. It was safe to hand out. 

By the time the evening meal comes, the food made by the monks has changed drastically from their old menu and Clayton also has made his decision. 

Coming back in their room, Clayton took the fleece hooded mantle hanging on the wall and draped it on her, next he took a warm knitted scarf putting it carefully on her neck and nodded seemingly content with his handiwork. Ayan had no idea what the man was about. Just when she thought he would begin peeling her like a banana, he went in the opposite direction and wrapped her like a burrito. Did the lord's taste change? 

"I'll take you somewhere later." He whispered. 

When the midnight bell tolled, Clayton whisked her into the sparse woodland a few kilometres from the monastery. 

On the ground, the torches are burning brightly. 

There is clear evidence of a skirmish. A ragtag group of men in strange clothing were tied unconscious to the side. There are bloodstains on the ground, fences and what might have tents. A few feet away, Fatty Lam was moving an unconscious body away while Johann wiped his daggers clean before facing them. Ayan observed that the teenager's face looked energetic. Perhaps from having a hearty exercise. 

Knoll who was nearby came forward to report. "Milord, the bandit's den has been cleaned. We can use it anytime." 

Clayton nodded and sent him and Johann to make arrangements before turning to his lady. "I have thought about it, milady." He said solemnly. 

Ayan looked around and understood. 

 

Southwestern Military Camp. Teak Woodlands. 

The forest was not exactly the most brilliant place to camp, especially when the winter chill is still hanging on and the bonfires cannot be burned too big to risk fire. Once the soldiers lingered long outside, illness might soon follow. The superiors to the lowest grunt soldier already covered themselves tightly by the time the sun sets, aside from the patrols on duty, the rest conserve energy by staying inside the safety perimeter. 

The past few days have been hard, some of their comrades have already fallen sick, fortunately, the long-awaited reunion with their superiors is finally here. Commander Sidrain's 5th Order and Lachlan's 3rd Order are able to regroup with the remaining comrades scattered around the imperial capital.

The knights who were once wrapped in anxiety from the absence of their commanders can now put their worries to rest after seeing them recovered and in top condition. However, the most urgent problem about resources still does not end and needs to be addressed as soon as possible. 

"Report!" A messenger rushed inside the tent of the superiors with urgent news. The young lad faced Commander Sidrain on the top seat and saluted, "Commander, the soldiers sent to the nearby towns and the next two cities failed to collect enough grains."

"Have they tried negotiating with the local government? The military will purchase them at a double price, even triple if needed." The money will be taken out of his treasury if it exceeds the allotted military budget. Starving the soldiers before going to battle is the worst thing that could happen under his command. 

The young messenger looked uneasy, "Commander, the local government said that due to the previous snow disasters and the eruption of furies in the south the goods that were supposed to be delivered from there failed to reach the capital. The landlords we visited also refused to exchange their remaining grains because of the upcoming planting season despite the price we offered."

And if they did give in to pressure and sent their grain to the military, they would starve their people in return. The oppressed hungry folks will rebel and will only worsen the situation the empire is facing. The old man nodded then gestured for the captain in charge of guarding their provisions. "I want a list of our remaining supplies and calculate how long it can last us."

"Yes, milord." The captain then promptly excused himself. 

Perhaps they can ask for help from other territories while stretching what remains of their supplies.  

Once the outsiders were gone, Prince Reginald came in from another entrance. "Our spies reported that the south stopped sending their goods just before the snow season started. The effect is gradual but by the time summer comes and all the remaining food has been eaten, we will be in deep trouble." He walked forward and joined Commander Sidrain on the round table. "Almost half of the empire consumes food coming from the southern granary, especially Ava and its nearby territories; if the supply is cut, everyone in the capital will starve." 

"Civil unrest and," Old commander's eyes sharpened. "Rebellion."

Prince Reginald tapped his finger on the table surface, "The southern granary is no longer ours. Although they may not blatantly cut off ties so soon, I reckon the plan to rebel is drawing near. Weakening the empire by planting cursed artifacts, starving our people then, when we no longer have enough strength to resist, that is when they will attack." 

Perhaps half a year more. 

 

Meanwhile in a farmstead just a few kilometres away. Clayton's men are having a devil of a time hammering the rotted enclosure and fixing the roof of an old barn to prepare it for the incoming cartloads of supplies Ayan took out from the fairy ring. In fact, these supplies could have been sent directly to the farmstead but to avoid suspicion, Clayton and the Thorns had to raid the nearest bandit den of the infamous Iron Claw as an excuse for the sudden arrival of these goods. 

Iron Claw is notorious for grabbing wares and goods from many merchants and was rumoured to own a mountain of treasures. But in truth, the feared bandit is actually just an impoverished mountain rogue. The Thorns found nothing special in his hideout aside from small trinkets but those outside wouldn't know about that. Using their place as a smokescreen, the people will not suspect the origin of these large amounts of provision. This way Clayton can still protect Ayan. 

The army will just treat it as a windfall and a lucky coincidence. 

It was two hours before daybreak when the farmstead was finally fixed, Clayton sent a homing pigeon towards the military camp to inform them of the 'good news'. 

"Thank you." He said to Ayan with a tender smile and kissed her cheek. In response, he got the rare shy blush from her. 

She also thanked him for protecting her and always putting her well-being first. 

"I said I wanted to help you." She said, "But I'm also glad that I was able to in my small ways. However, the origins of these fruits and crops are not usually found in the empire."

Clayton hugged her comfortingly. "Don't worry. The prince and I already have a solution for it. Once the planting season starts, we can send the seeds to the unmanned fief in the northeast and let the tenants sow it for farming."

Ayan was taken aback. "Ruze? But that's—" she wanted to say that Roy Sybil had long treated that place as his own but seeing her husband's smug smile, doubt flashed in her mind. 

"It's under the care of the imperial family, the Crown Prince has the authority to open the land." Slowly they can introduce the plants inside the fairy ring and slowly solve the empire's problem with food. 

The message had been sent. The couple in the meantime left the handling of the farmstead to Johann and mounted his horse to return to Naya as soon as possible. Clayton knew that sending them these provisions is only a temporary solution but, as long as it can alleviate the immediate worry, they are willing to provide. And while the problem is reduced, the prince will be able to think of a long-term plan that will take them out of this predicament.  

Indeed the bandit's den served as a good cover, when Commander Sidrain and Prince Reginald arrived they hurriedly rode on horseback to check the said den and saw that three man-made caves are filled to the brim not only with food but with precious medicinal herbs.

The Thorns are still in the process of delivering it to the farmstead at the foot of the mountain. The old commander then hastily ordered his men to help in order to speed up the process. 

"Times have changed." Prince Reginald said jokingly. "Before bandits looted the people. Now it was the bandits turn to be looted by soldiers.  

The old commander looked so appalled and comical in his reaction that the prince could not help but burst out laughing. 

 

11