63. Ava’s Upper Class
270 3 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Queen's Palace

Elisse Sybil tapped the table impatiently while the maid served her tea. Currently, Emperor Aeris and the Chieftain of Ma-i are under a closed-door meeting that excluded not only the House of Lords but also the Prime Minister himself. There was even a miniscule chance for her, the queen, to meet the emperor and state all her grievances.  

It has been a couple of months since she stepped out of her palace and news about her being abandoned have already spread. She will give birth in less than a few weeks but there is still no response from the Hall of Valor. 

She hated everything about her situation but at least it was better than living outside without the halo of her status. Touching her rounded belly, a small smile finally crept on her icy face. Soon, she will give birth to His Majesty's son. Oh, how she longed to see the arrogant empress' reaction! 

"The Circle is in a craze over the new arrivals lately," Baroness Malory remarked as she sipped tea daintily. 

The queen's eyes narrowed. 

"I have heard of this." Countess Baxter giggled. "Would you like to hear the details, Your Highness?" 

"Go on." 

"Lattice's youngest commander came to permanently take residence in the empire. Since when was the plan formed? No one knows because there were no announcements."

The ladies on the table laughed. Baroness Malory said, "I wouldn't worry about it, dear, not with the Crown Prince showing favour when he marched along with him to escort those… heathens."

"I have noticed that as well." Countess Baxter remarked. "And I would not be surprised if those heathens come to attend balls soon. My goodness, I cannot bear to think that this season is about to welcome the most unusual guests." 

Today, the queen arranged for a small gathering in her garden to relieve boredom. Given that she is pregnant and is prone to mood swings her so-called friends came in a rush to comfort her. Lady Willard who lost her position as her lady-in-waiting is now replaced by the much younger Countess Baxter. The newly married lady still retains her vivacious youth and is yet to temper her chattering mouth.

"Perhaps it was because Clayton Rozenberg had helped the empire with the lake monster subjugation a few years ago that is why the prince tended to harbour awe and admiration towards him." The countess added offhandedly. 

"They seem to get along fine, even those people from Ma-i." Baroness Malory said with a sniff. "Another surprising thing was the commander's wife."

Queen Elisse observed the table full of suspiciously quiet ladies. "Am I to understand that none of you here do not like Clayton Rozenberg's wife?"

There was a chuckle from Miss Guildford, "We cannot say that we do but the woman is simply outrageous Your Highness." 

Queen Elisse encouraged her to go on.

"A few glorious anecdotes of hers fluttered into my ears, apparently, she forced Clayton Rozenberg into matrimony and it seems the relationship has now greatly eased but that's beside point," Miss Guildford paused, making her audience eager to know more of the story,  and in a lowered voice she continue, "The woman in question had the gall to imitate the late Lady Yuliana Havenstorm's likeness." 

"And that is not all, she went about flaunting it around the city," Countess Baxter added, quite vexed at Miss Guildford for stealing her thunder. She was planning to tell the queen about Ayan Rozenberg's 'misbehaviour' herself! 

"Her husband did not restrain her either," Baroness Malory smirked. "And here I thought the exalted commander would have at least a bit of sensitivity towards the empire's taboos. But that is better, isn't it? We do not want any foreign man climbing up the ranks so easily just because of connections."

"Quite right." The ladies answered in unison. 

Queen Elisse, however, hid her growing displeasure. Merely a foreign man yet he easily built camaraderie with the elusive crown prince and they were not even trying to hide it. How deep is Rozenberg's involvement in the failure of their plans? 

Right after the short tea, the queen whispered something to Countess Baxter and hastily sent her out of the palace. 

 

As much as Ayan wanted to become an idle homemaker who can breezily plan tea parties and attend balls, she could not because of the responsibilities piling up in front of her like a hill. Additionally, there were problematic instances she had to watch out for. 

The office of Clayton is currently occupied by her as she dealt with the pressing issues about their move. Dylan advised it would be much better to lay out their intention of entering the Circle openly. Reinstating the unclaimed title of the Duke of Thornwood, Clayton's great grandfather will need proof of ancestry and at least a couple or more reliable persons to vouch for him. 

Marquess Blackwood is already on the list while the rest they are yet to be found. 

Come to think of it, aside from moving to a new land, they also changed several titles in just a year! From Marquess Rozenberg of Lattice to commoner then jumping right back with a ducal title. 

"Pardon my intrusion, milady," Gaspar entered after a knock, "A missive from the Grandduke Latimer arrived,"

"Place it here. Thank you, Gaspar." She smiled, "Did the children have their midday meal already?"

"Yes milady, both young masters and Milk finished their meals half an hour ago and are now taking a short rest in the greenhouse." 

Ayan nodded satisfied and was left alone in the study once again. Shortly after Gaspar left, the crystal orb given by the Grand Magister lit up showing the jolly face of Darius. Speaking of it, Ayan no longer had to worry about relaying important messages when she finally had the ancient and magical version of a video chat. Anytime, anywhere as long as she has mana she can use this to communicate. 

Darius first greeted and congratulated them for safely arriving in Ava then went on to explain where he was at. In a place dominated entirely by white, he stood holding a peculiar plant. She remembered the first time they met in the Hot Dunes that he mentioned about collecting a rare flower from the Frozen Valley further up the Crucible Mountains. 

"Teacher, didn't you collect the Glass Flower a few months ago?"

Mentioning this, the old man's face fell. "Aye, in fact, this is my third time here. The first Glass Flower I harvested withered away as soon as it was taken out of my spatial bag. The second I managed to grow in a friend's greenhouse but I was not able to salvage the poor thing because the water we needed ran out and now, here I am on my third attempt." He said wearily. "Dear girl, it may sound presumptuous on my part but knowing how you are blessed by the plant fairy, may I be cheeky to ask if the great spirit might have an answer to my dilemma?" 

Ayan let out a giggle seeing the old man's pained appearance. He looked as if he was asking a veterinarian to save his dying pet. In people's eyes, the Grand Magister may be an unattainable existence, but for her, he is simply an eccentric grandpa who loves plants. 

"One question though," Ayan smiled slyly. "How did you know I may have the solution for the Glass Flower?"

Old Darius scratched his cheek, abashed. "Actually, it was Schon who told me— but please don't blame her," he hastened to explain. "She was only driven by my desperate plea, a good student that she is. A little stubborn though, more's the pity. Anyway, she told me that you donated a large number of mana flowers during her service in the cathedral of Arpeggio."  

"So from there, you deduced that I might be blessed by the plant fairy?"

He nodded. "If not, how can you conjure such a delicate species?"  

"He's right you know," Green whispered to her ear. "You used the fairy ring right in front of the young warlock Schon, however, she was manipulated to think that you are a person blessed by me instead of being the owner of the artifact."

Oh, so that explains why Schon's reaction was rather casual. She looked at her left forefinger and smiled. It has really done its best to protect its owner. "So…" she said slowly, "Am I being viewed as a spiritualist?" 

"You can definitely pass up as one but," Green nodded. "With Miss Warlock's eyes, she might have already labelled you as the Saintess." 

Ayan was stunned for several seconds. 

"Don't worry, it was only because she had the ability to see what kind of mana you possess. Most people are not as keen as her." He assured then turned to the Grand Magister, "I will agree to help you cultivate the Glass Flower," 

A wisp of green flickered. Green finally showed himself much to the Grand Magister's excitement. 

"A fairy!" Old Darius's eyes sparkled like gems. 

"Well, I am." Green has the mildest temper yet a tricky personality amongst the six fairykin. Ayan knew he would not agree so easily, "Under the condition that you help Ayan with her current problem about finding a sponsor to vouch for her husband for his claim in the title, I give my word that I, in return, will nurture the flower." 

Old Darius bloomed into a smile. "I agree. I agree. Thank you, oh benevolent spirit!" 

It is but a simple thing, right master? Green winked at Ayan. 

Old Darius then recalled the gist of the fairy's condition, "Hasn't the title been reinstated?"

"It has," this time Ayan replied, "but we have to do this in front of many lords as requested by His Majesty."  

"I see." Old Darius nodded. "Reginald is the crown prince and Schon is from the royal clan so they cannot sponsor Clayton without raising suspicions. Well, if it is a sponsor you are looking for there is nothing more suitable than I."

Ayan's tensed shoulders finally eased. 

"I will vouch for him with no questions asked but in case I may arrive late," the old guy paused thoughtfully. "As a precaution, I will also ask a trusted friend of mine if she can help with the matter." 

When the conversation was finished, Ayan wrote the Grand Magister's name on the sponsor list and proceeded to draw out the plan for the ceremony. 

 

The next day… 

"Ah, this won't do." Ayan frowned looking at the design booklet sent to her by the dressmaker Clayton recommended. Said that the madam is well-known for her unique designs. 

The twins sat in front of her nibbling on potato chips and ice cream. Today is cheat day where they get to ask their mother to eat delicious snacks she deemed unhealthy. Their little teeth cracking on the crispy thin slices of potatoes sounded all over the greenhouse rousing the curiosity of those who heard them. A spoon here, a lick there, the different flavors of ice cream layered inside the tall glass were eaten with relish. Milk was occupied with a bag of wagyu beef jerky and fried chicken, on the other hand, his pink tiny paw picked a wing and delivered it to his mouth. 

The action was not an unusual phenomenon, the cub has a bit of a cleanliness quirk and acts more like a person than a cat. Before eating, he would run to the toilet with the twins and use the porcelain sink to wash his paws, after which a servant would carry him to his table and begin the meal. The same happened today. 

Ayan pinched his ear softly making him purr. "Eat more and grow sooner." She then took her drawing pad and pencil and began sketching her own. 

After the meeting with Dylan on the racecourse a few days ago there had been a few invitations to tea parties and balls coming into their home recently, though most of them were gentry it is still important to make an appearance and expand their social circle. The whole family needed to update their wardrobe to match these events, the problem was, none of the latest designs suited her taste. Planning fell on her shoulder because she doubted Gaspar would be able to help at all. 

The design template took shape sooner than she expected with the help of many magazines she collected in college. It was during those times when she became so fond of watching period movies and drama series that she developed a love for various ancient clothing. Design came easy for her and she was brimming with ideas new or old. Ayan immersed herself in drawing until she filled half a booklet!  

As for making them, she keenly remembered there is both a manual and electric sewing machine inside the space house…  

The morning passed eventfully before Ayan could notice it.  

Yesterday, Clayton and his men left for the border under the commission of the crown prince to assist the ongoing conflict with the southern territories. She is now entirely alone in making decisions for the Rozenberg house. 

"Ayan," Coco came out followed by Green and Red. "Old White, Blue and Yellow arrived with your husband safely on Teak Woodlands. It seems that the army is doing quite well with the supply you provided. Old White said they distributed the seeds and planting method to some trusted landlords to begin sowing this spring season."  

"That's great to hear." She smiled, pausing briefly on her drawing. "Thank you for allowing your siblings to help my husband. With them there, I can put my worries to rest."  

Since they took on human forms in Arpeggio as disguises, they have frequently come out to assist the couple. 

"You think too much, Clayton was the least person needing our protection. He is someone from the bloodline with an inherent gift for combat, have you forgotten? Though his poison has weakened half of his strength, he is not entirely helpless because of the Faerie Wing. There are only a few people in this continent who can contend with him and I don't think they are coming to the empire just to challenge him when the world is in crisis."  

Coco's right, with the barrier of the Dark Continent loosening, who would be foolish enough to send their best warrior out? But it wouldn't hurt to be extra vigilant since there are unpredictable people like Roy Sybil and the paranoid lord of the south. 

"By the way Ayan, now that Clayton is out. I think you need us more often here." Green offered. 

"He is right Ayan," Red nodded. "Aside from taking care of the space, we can also help you collect information regarding the important residents of this city. For example, those people who are spreading rumours about you…" 

About what Red said, there is indeed an annoying issue like that cropping up. 

Aside from gaining a good impression from the racecourse, there are ugly speculations about her as well. Covertly, the ladies of Ava were laughing behind her back and it was because of her red hair.   

"How bold is that Rozenberg woman to prance around with hair like that? Didn't she know the Grand Duchess's taboo?"

"What a way to gain attention! Look how many men have been enamoured by the vixen." 

"Ha, even in my most daring days I wouldn't be so shameless as her though. She is asking for punishment."

"Oh, this is rich!" One Miss said with a delighted giggle. "I cannot wait for her to show up with a shaved head in public." 

Shave her head? Ayan laughed inwardly. Who dares to do so? Did they think that because she was too lazy to answer she no longer has her old temper?!

"That's right, Ayan!" Red fumed, bursting into flames. "Show them why you were feared during your days in Saint Kassia Academy!" 

Ayan poked her tiny forehead making her little body roll on the table. "Simmer down. You're starting to smoke." 

It wasn't because she hadn't thought about sending the fairies out for intel, in fact, she had but she felt embarrassed asking them for this kind of favour. One, there is danger; another is that they are an exalted existence people worship. Imagine sending these mythical creatures to collect gossip? Now they have broached the subject so casually, she can only agree. 

"Times are different now. Information can be a weapon." Green exhorted. 

She sighed, "If you insist, but you must promise to put your own safety first, no questions asked."

Red snickered and floated to Raven's side to wipe his face of the stain from the ice cream, "Who dares block the way of the fairies?" 

Green, who was sitting on top of Carmine's head, just shrugged his shoulders. 

"If you want, you can easily raise your status so that those people can no longer look down on you," Coco said. He was sitting on the edge of the table hugging a caramel biscuit lovingly. "Warlocks with elemental powers are sought after, Diviners are highly worshipped but being a spiritualist is another prominent status among the gifted that is well-loved and respected. But we all know that the tallest tree is the first to fall." 

Ayan chuckled, "Discretion is not a bad thing especially when you have unstable foundations. First, you have to have trusted allies around you. Second, you must have a deep understanding of how those above will view your strength or you will end up being gulled and exploited. Do not assume for once that because you possess unique abilities, you are invincible. We cannot be too arrogant now, can we? Third and most important, is your country strong enough to protect you? Rare powers are sought after, it can even cause bloodshed. So if you are not sure of these three factors, it is better to be cautious." 

Spiritualists were rarely mentioned because they are an existence that no longer exists in the empire and the nearby kingdoms. Suddenly having one will stir the forces lurking in the dark, especially the ones who planted Clayton's Hellfire. 

Moments later, a footman hurried to the glasshouse announcing Sir Dylan and Master Schon's presence. 

The boys looked at each other and smiled widely. 

"Mother, may I go and welcome them?" Raven begged with sparkling eyes. 

Carmine especially finished his snack in two bites, "Mommy, I have finished my food!" 

"Hey, carefu—" Before Ayan could stop them, they already jumped from their seats rushing to the main house on their short legs. The abandoned mother could only shake her head helplessly. 

Milk did not mind their departure nor did he mind anything at all. Right this minute, the delicious jerky he longed to eat for two weeks is finally here!  

 

In the drawing-room. 

"Ayan, I came to visit you!" Beatrice curtsied and greeted as soon as she saw the woman carrying Raven in her arms and towing Carmine on the other. 

"Hello!" Carmine smiled.

Raven patted his mother gently indicating that he wanted to go down, fixed his clothes before giving a courtesy bow. "Welcome to the Rozenberg home, Master Schon, Uncle Dylan and Aunt Beatrice." 

"Oh my, quite a thoughtful lad, aren't you?" Dylan chuckled. "Good day to you, milady."

Ayan bobbed her head as greetings. 

The twins walked closer and began climbing the seats to settle themselves. Beatrice who had been watching from the start melted like butter under those sunny smiles. Oh, look at those plump and lovely pinkish cheeks she very much wants to pinch— and bite.

Beatrice, comport yourself!  

"It's nice to see you again, Lady Rozenberg," Schon said cordially. "Apologies for the short notice."

Ayan waved that off graciously, "I received your missive earlier but I was preoccupied. I did not have the chance to open it yet. How was everything in the cathedral of Arpeggio?"

"It was smoothly done. Those infected by blight can now resume their normal lives and the city is finally out of danger."

"I'm glad to hear such great news." 

"Teacher also asked me to relay the news about the cursed artifacts." This time her voice was lowered, "All the areas you have pointed before have been swept clean so aside from the miasma leaking from the Dark Continent, we no longer have to be threatened by a large-scale outbreak." 

Ayan visibly looked more joyful after hearing it. It was a great step, Asturia Empire is no longer a weak helpless land waiting to be ravished by demons. This time, it will survive! 

When everyone was seated Beatrice turned to the young warlock and chirped, "Gosh, I was anxious to death about Ayan being shunned by the Circle but having Master Schon here greatly relieves my worry." 

Schon, looking all blank and utterly handsome (pretty), captured Beatrice's big brown eyes. She had forgotten how devastatingly handsome this man was. For several long moments, she was quite dazzled, staring at him. 

The table suddenly jumped as someone kicked someone else under it. With the cousins now glaring at each other, it was a good guess who did the kicking. 

"Whatever you do that for?" The girl glared at the man. 

Dylan sighed, "You promised you will behave." 

"I am behaving…" she said disgruntled and threw the twins an aggrieved look. 

Ayan had to bring a hand up to her mouth to keep herself from laughing. Her children mirrored her movement playfully, also covering their mouths, the action made her lose her bearings and laugh out. Schon was looking at everyone back and forth, unable to relate to the conversation. "What is this about being shunned?" 

Beatrice pouted. "None of the noble ladies has invited Ayan to a gathering so far when everyone else was busy going from here and there." 

But Ayan was not the least bothered by it and replied mildly. "I have apparently touched the nerve of the Circle with my appearance so now I'm quite the pariah." 

"Not completely so milady. My house welcomes you along with many others. They just are making a mountain out of a molehill."

Coming here at the excuse of escorting his cousin was an obvious show of support for her and Ayan was beyond touched with the subtle gesture. 

"Sir Blackwood is right, they'd have done that in any case because you are new here and thought to have no connections at all." Schon said. Being born with a silver spoon, what kind of twisted characters had she not seen? 

"The welcoming banquet for the Ma-i is approaching soon. After several decades, the imperial capital is going to celebrate one of the biggest social events in history. On that day many prominent figures are invited. If some accidents were to happen, the peace talks will be broken and Clayton may suffer the backlash."

So to say, it is the most ideal time for Sybil to put their plan into action. Roy Sybil will do anything to earn credit through war and conquer the land beyond the sea. Clayton reclaiming the title is the biggest obstacle in his way. He would be hitting two birds with one stone if his plan to spark a dispute succeeded. Ayan didn't have to rely on the fairies nor break her head to know that it was either of the siblings who was manipulating the rumour in the shadows. 

"How despicable!" Beatrice snapped. "They wanted to use the late Lady Yuliana's name as a spear to pin you down. If the grand duchess hears of this… even Her Majesty…" the more she thought about it, the paler she got.  

"It's not as if Lady Rozenberg can dye her hair to satisfy them, that was only a temporary solution not to mention if the lady's pride will allow her to bend and acquiesce to their whim," Dylan remarked seriously. "Besides, milady doesn't strike me as the pushover kind. Am I right, milady?"

"There will be no dyeing or anything else," Ayan affirmed confidently. 

Schon also ensured her of the Latimer's house's support. As its only heir, she can make decisions for herself now that her father is very ill. Just when Ayan was content enough to have large aristocratic families become her friends, another surprise came and it was brought by none other than the famous Duchess Diana Hellenberg.



11