70. Changes In The Imperial Capital
341 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

The capital Ava, thousands of miles away from the Plaguelands, was surging with dark waves. The entire imperial city was strung with suffocating tension, depressing and frightening. 

Clayton flicked the bloodstained sword and looked at the unmoving corps below him coldly.

“These Shadowmongers would never once expect that Gladius Valley will become their very own purgatory.” Dylan said with irony, “Shame to be beaten at your own game, eh?”  

Thanks to them a good celebration has now turned into a battlefield. They can only grieve their visitors from Ma-i. 

“By the by Clay, what did the old man tell ya?” 

He was referring to Old White that suddenly jumped to help at a critical moment. The men participating in the hunt were surrounded by more than fifty Shadowmongers a while ago. If not for that person’s appearance and two others they might not be able to conclude the fierce fighting early. 

“He’s one of yours, ain’t he?”

“Our own.” Clayton confirmed but after remembering what Old White said, his face hardened and the look in his eyes turned feral. 

“What did he say then? Was it urgent?”

Clayton nodded stiffly, “My wife… and three other ladies disappeared.”  

“What—” Dylan did not know what to say next. 

“Your cousin is one of them.” 

Ah, damn it to hell! Dylan wasn’t able to stop himself from cursing. 

The imperial knights began sweeping the valley to make sure no fishes slipped out of the net. Meanwhile Clayton and Dylan rode at a breakneck pace towards the prairie where the ladies were supposed to conduct a hunt.

Everyone was gathered there in three to large groups seemingly shaken and frightened but there was no sight of Ayan. Their appearance surprised the women especially when Clayton rushed to the center calling for his wife. 

It wasn’t until the aide to the crown prince, Sir Corvin came and whispered an important word that he stopped his mad search. 

 

There was a sudden harsh sound in the great hall of the summer palace, Yvelisse. 

“Your Majesty!” The attendants came down to their knees to calm Emperor Aeris’ turbulent mood but he waved them off.  

“Your Majesty.” Empress Delphine turned to grasp his hand to sooth him. “You must remain in control of your emotions.” 

Emperor Aeris held her hand tightly. 

The appearance of the demon inside the palace and the sudden attack of the Shadowmongers has deeply angered him. Now the whole Gladius Valley is surrounded by imperial knights on all sides in order to catch the culprit. 

The people kneeling below the throne had never seen such frightening momentum.   

“I am the ruler of Asturia, the master of this land and the person blessed by the ancient dragon but it seems people still underestimated my power.” His cold amber eyes went to the man kneeling in front of him. The person did not dare look up. “What do you say Commander Sybil? Have I been too lenient lately or the people serving under me are just too bold, treating me as a fool?”  

Each word uttered by the emperor are like swords stabbing him in the chest little by little. As the newly appointed commander of the 6th Order he was guilty of indulging his men with several heinous acts. Extortion, pillaging, murder and rape. He failed to uphold the knight's code of conduct and his honor as a soldier. 

If investigated further, it is no doubt that he would soon lose his qualification to lead a troop and his acts may even endanger the position of his sister within the palace. What made him confident and complacent was the backing of several factions they befriended for the past years. They will continue to cover for him as long as he does things with measure and not implicate them. 

“I could have your head on the pike any moment I command.” 

Roy’s face instantly paled and he tried to clench his rattling teeth. “Y-Your Majesty there must be some mistake…” 

He looked around in order to find his sister but she was nowhere in sight. 

“It’s useless to ask for her help.” Emperor Aeris’ voice was slow and flat, making the man on his knees tremble violently. “Queen Elisse is about to give birth soon, she should be confined in a peaceful and quiet environment away from the noise of the imperial city, don’t you think so?” 

It was a disguised imprisonment. The declaration came at him like a splash of cold water. 

Roy’s pale face has now completely turned ash grey. “Y-Your Majesty.” 

How could things turn for the worse? He is completely isolated here. Half  of his troops were sent back to his fief, Lowenheim to smuggle the grain and fodder they snatched from the northeast fief. They emptied the north’s granary to supply the growing number of recruits in the south. He was still planning to rush back to Lowenheim after the hunt and recruit more soldiers but all of a sudden the whole valley was locked so tightly not even a fly could come out. 

Did the emperor knew his plan all along? 

He looked up only to face the emperor’s cool impassive eyes. 

Roy felt his stomach clench. It took him several moments to understand that he voluntarily walked into the trap. 

He and his sister are of lowly birth, with his mediocre talent and Elisse filthy obsession, how could they enter this man’s eyes? His sister was conferred the title of the queen due to an accident during His Majesty’s birthday. She lost her virginity in the emperor’s royal chamber and none in the whole palace did not know. What’s even more shocking was that it was the empress herself who discovered the act and had no choice but to give way despite her bleeding heart. 

But what if all of these were all calculated moves from the start? 

No. The empress would not tolerate any woman stealing His Majesty’s heart. 

Sweat dripped from Roy’s face one by one as he racked his brain for a way out. Then, the great hall ushered in another person. 

“Your Majesty, I heard you kept people in here. What is going on?” 

Empress Dowager Celine frowned in displeasure when she saw people kneeling in the middle of the throne room. 

“Mother is here…” His Majesty smiled. “Come, your beloved son is waiting.”  

The old lady’s eyes widened for a scant second after hinting something off with the emperor’s tone then it also quickly returned to calm. She patted her glamorous purple clothing before daintily raising a handkerchief to her nose.  

“Why is there such a big fuss when the whole palace just had a demon attack?” She held her head high as she passed by the armed brawny men surrounding the hall. Her gaze swept their solemn faces. 

Did they capture the perpetrator? 

Her frown deepened. A dark foreboding was rising inside her but she hurriedly pressed it down. The emperor is not somehow who arbitrarily makes hasty decisions. 

“Everyone is gathered here, why is it that I do not see the queen?” The dowager questioned. “We know she is in a delicate condition but her presence is required during the welcoming ball. We have guests from afar and all members of the imperial family must attend or they might find us lacking.  Don’t you think so?”   

“The queen suffered a fright today that is why I sent her out to recuperate.” 

Dowager Celine stopped cold on her tracks. “What— at this critical period?”

“I have sent for a capable physician to look after the queen. Is there a problem, mother?” The emperor asked gently. His fingers tapping the armrest of the throne. 

“I only worry about her condition.” She replied with a wave. However, the hand inside the long cuffs of her gown were fisted so tight.

“It seems the mother's relationship with Queen Elisse has improved quite a lot these days. I heard your most capable lady-in-waiting was sent to her for nursing. This had me thinking, since mother was worried about the queen’s constitution, why not just transfer your attendants while she was away for a rest? Her place lacks clever servants.”

The dowager’s eyes widened in disbelief. “E-Everyone…?”

A cold wind blew from somewhere making her shiver. 

Her eyes wandered around the hall frantically until it landed on Roy Sybil. It was then that she noticed the brother of the queen lying prostrate on the cold floor. All demeanors of a nobleman gone. 

“This child, he is the commander of the 6th Order. Commander Sybil, is he not?” The old lady’s voice came out sharp.  

Roy Sybil stiffened. 

“Goodness, why drag him down?” Dowager Celine frowned.

“A sinner must serve penance.” 

“Have you found any evidence of his crimes?” 

“All has been gathered and arranged.” 

The dowager staggered to the side. 

Emperor Aeris watched pensive as their emotions were thrown into disarray. Silent panic seized their hearts. Fear began to enclose the hall until it slowly seeped into their marrow as they realized that everything they had planned and worked for were in vain. 

“Are you alright, mother?” 

Dowager Celine swallowed a lump. 

The head of the imperial knight guard stepped forward and spoke. “Roy Sybil has betrayed the imperial family and the citizens of the empire countless times. Your prolonged abuse of authority has been counted.” 

He and the queen colluded with several factions to try to take control of the palace. He joined hands with several bandits and rebels to act out a scene of resistance in order to raise his rank. Several months ago, he sent people to chase after the crown prince to slaughter him in a faraway forest. The queen then stretched her hands towards the second prince’s palace in order to poison the boy, hoping for the one in her belly to be the sole heir. 

“A shabby plot but how could it succeed until today?” The emperor asked.

The dowager averted her eyes nervously.  

He could have just killed Roy Sybil and the matter is over but the emperor wanted to see who was behind the scene. They had been chasing the clue since the queen’s pregnancy and finally it led them to an astonishing discovery.  

He wanted to unravel the source of this conspiracy before thoroughly cleansing it.  

The doors opened once again inviting Clayton in his armor. The man walked step by step towards the throne and gave a knee.  

“Your Majesty, a report from Teak Woodlands. Commander Sidrain and Commander Morrigan finished sealing the southern pass. We are now completely cut off from the southern— the Lancel Kingdom.”

None had noticed that when Clayton corrected himself by calling the south its former name, the dowager’s body shook; she nearly dropped her handkerchief. Clayton turned his gaze towards her.

Being suddenly subjected to such a chilling gaze made the old lady’s breath stagnate.  

Clayton went on, “The villagers were evacuated and temporarily received in the nearby settlements. The food supplies for the refugees were sent and another batch that has been confiscated from the 6th Order will arrive before rations run out.” 

Roy heard the news and stared at Clayton in horror. “No!” 

Those were his soldiers. They were carrying cartloads of grains, weapons and horse fodder for his fief and he’s saying they have captured it?

“Damn you Rozenberg!” Roy screamed. “I should have killed you as soon as you stepped into the empire!” 

He has completely lost his composure now. The knights quickly locked him in chains and restrained him with swords on his neck. 

“What is the meaning of this?” Dowager Celine gripped her hands together. “What happened to the southern fiefs?”

“Ah, it’s the same as what mother heard.” Emperor Aeris shook his head in remorse and in a low tone he recounted. “Mother, a matter of great concern has come. I have uncovered a devious plot. Fortunately it was not yet too late. While I stay true to the promise of our ancestors to foster the people from the south they have not let go of the ancient grudge.” 

“How can this be…” Dowager Celine was in a fluster. 

“Is mother worried?” Emperor Aeris asked with a faint smile. “Don’t worry, we have everything under control. The rebels from Lancel Kingdom have long plotted to invade Asturia since their defeat. As luck would have it, we have completely identified the spies planted by them before the outbreak of a rebellion. Roy Sybil was proven guilty of colluding with the south to weaken our troops.” 

Maintaining the same melancholic tone, the emperor looked outside the windows.

“It pains me to know that in the past two hundred years, the Longinus royal family  have not taken the empire’s mercy to heart but instead took it as an insult.”

Dowager’s Celine’s flesh trembled, whether it was from fear or rage, only she knew. “Every subjugated country must feel so.”

“Subjugated?” The emperor closed his eyes and let out a thin sigh, seemingly unaware of his mother’s unnatural reaction. “From the very beginning, it was they who raised arms first.”  

The dowager was lost for words as cold sweat fell from her temple. 

“These talks will only tire out mother,” the emperor intoned dismissively. “Please return to your chambers to rest. Leave everything to me.” 

Before Dowager Celine could protest, six women with strong build came out to escort her. 

“Your Majesty, I am perfectly well. I insist on staying.”

“Mother suffered a scare, keep an eye on her and do not let her out of your sight.” 

“Aeris!” 

“Yes, Your Majesty.” 

Dowager Celine shook her head frantically, “Your Majesty, Your Majesty, what about the queen? You cannot neglect her and let the reputation of the imperial clan be besmirched. She is about to give birth to your child…” 

Roy Sybil, who was sprawled on the floor, was surprised by the dowager’s sudden concern for his sister. Perhaps he could ask for her help. 

But soon he found out it was useless. 

“Empress, talk to the emperor. The queen currently bears the third heir to the throne. You cannot just sit there and listen. You are the empress, how could you be so selfish—”

“Enough!” The emperor waved. “Take her away.”

Dowager Celine was horrified at the shout that she froze on where she stood. This was the first time the gentle and docile son she raised talked to her in such a harsh tone. She was unable to recover from the fright for a few seconds. Gathering her courage, she tried looking at him straight in the eye. 

The emperor did not lower his sight. He only sat there, accepting her gaze with a calm shallow smile. 

“Aeris… son you know mother is a native of the south. What you are doing hurts my heart.” She cried out. “My homeland, for the sake of our mother and son relationship you must reconsider. I implore you!”

“To concede is to allow their army of marauders to enter our land, steal our resources and slaughter our families!” Emperor Aeris completely lost his patience and snapped. “Is this what you wanted me to reconsider, mother?”  

The word mother was bitten out of his mouth harshly making her flinch.  

Dowager Celine couldn’t help her expression from collapsing as reality crashed into her like a boulder. 

At the same time, the heavy suffocation that had been pressing on her chest finally broke out. 

“HAHAHA even your own mother… HAHAHA you wouldn’t even listen to your own mother! Your Majesty you are indeed wise but you are also equally heartless.” 

Empress Delphine could no longer listen to her and stood. 

“What right do you have to accuse the emperor when you are siding with the villains yourself?” She said sharply. “Mother, don’t you ever question your own virtue?”

“Delphine of LeGivre,” the old lady scoffed. “No wonder, no wonder HAHAHA!!!” 

The laughter came so loudly that it echoed in the entire hall. She laughed and laughed until tears came out of her eyes and her gentle mask broke. When she raised her head, the virtuous old lady was no longer there; she was replaced by a bitter and sinister face. 

She pointed a finger at the man on the throne, “Over a year ago, in the imperial chamber you knew it wasn’t you who slept with the queen?”

Emperor Aeris did not reply. 

“You as well.” She glared at the empress. 

“Of course you do. How could the two of you remain so affectionate until today after that betrayal?” She chuckled sarcastically after saying this. “You purposefully acted estranged in order to fool me, your mother. Correct?” The dowager then looked at the couple bitterly. 

Roy Sybil on the floor had long become numb after hearing the revelation. It turns out, the person helping them behind the scenes was the dowager herself. But the one in her sister’s belly was not the seed of the Asturian monarch but a child of some stranger. A bastard. 

The dowager’s harsh voice continued to rise. “Empress, I always thought you were as cold and as gullible as many women. You accepted the bitch who stole your beloved without complaints and even allowed her to bear a title. Ridiculous. I didn’t know whether you were just too dignified to stoop so low or equally as heartless as many aristocrats but thanks to that I had a good laugh.”

She had secretly cultivated the Sybil siblings, even giving them supporters to ensure they could hold their ground against the empress’s faction. The Sybils were her pawns to provoke the relationship of the imperial family but in the end what she did was meaningless. She failed the first step and she failed spectacularly! 

“You knew all this time. Indeed what a good and clever son you are…” 

“The man who was with Elisse Sybil, the illegitimate son of the Duke of Lancel, isn’t it?” Emperor Aeris spoke noncommittally. “Your child.” 

Anxiety seized the dowager’s heart and there was another bout of uncontrolled tremor spreading in her body. A shaky hand lifted to her chest as if to grip it. 

A burst of energy seemed to come out of her all of a sudden. She pushed the women holding her and faced the emperor with wrath, “You dare hurt him! What do you know?!”   

“Everything.” The emperor’s tone was calm contrary to the old woman’s hysterics.

Emperor Aeris had always known they were not related, that is why he could remain so calm and unaffected.

The dowager was a lady-in-waiting to the former empress. Aeris was three years old when his imperial mother died and in order to silence the factions wanting to add women into the palace, the former emperor chose Lady Celine as queen. A humble earl’s daughter from the south. 

As per palace regulations, the empress’ attendants must be married women from nobility but the empress took pity on the young Lady Celine and until her death she still ensured she would have a secure future. 

“My imperial mother genuinely cared for you, unfortunately, neither her sincerity nor concern could fill your gaping greed.”

The dowager looked at the boy she painstakingly raised and hate churned in her stomach like acid. She loved the former emperor with all her soul but he was cold-eyed to her passion, he only had the empress in his heart and gave her an empty title to guard. Not once did he ever touch her because she was lowly. She raised the crown prince and left her child in the south to be ridiculed from being born out of wedlock. 

She endured everything until finally her son won his rightful place within the Longinus clan. Dowager Celine thought she would soon turn her back from the Asturia imperial family. Once the heir is replaced by the blood of the Longinus member it will be considered her great contribution and her son will be able to forgive her for abandoning him.  

But now, Elisse Sybil was arrested somewhere she did not know. Even if she gave birth to her grandson, there will be nothing to inherit aside from infamy. The south would not be able to reach the imperial city and the rebellion plot fell through so early. 

“The Ducal State of Lancel in the south along with others plotted to revolt against the Asturian reign but a word reached me that the natural disaster from the last snow season has dealt great damage to their land. Soon, their people will have nothing to eat. Perhaps, due to material scarcity, the troops they carefully gathered will disband before they even reach our borders. Infighting within their faction is inevitable.” 

“No. NO!” 

That’s a huge lie. Her son will be able to succeed. Heis blessed with luck. He will march to the imperial city soon and take his rightful place! 

“When the lords hoarded the grains to support the militia and left the common people to starve, they should have predicted this kind of outcome. Unfortunately, because of greed, they ignored it.” 

A heart wrenching cry tore out from the dowager's chest, it rang from the vast audience hall to the endless corridor of the summer palace. 

After the confrontation, the imperial city returned to its former jubilant mood. A big event happened in the imperial palace.  

It was known that Queen Elisse was favored by His Majesty, making the empress heartbroken. The queen’s courage grew and she became bolder, committing many taboos along with her brother. Their transgression piled up into a heap that could no longer be ignored. The queen was ordered to be sent for vacation. She was forced to move out of her luxurious abode, stripped of her jewels and fine clothes towards a tall tower where females within the palace who committed crimes are kept. 

Far from extravagance, there is only one maid to serve her and everyday she can only look out from a tiny window to witness the wealth and grandeur of the imperial palace. Her former place. 

While her brother Roy’s military authority was revoked.  

The emperor is a fair and honest man, he was not the kind to tolerate nobles abusing their privilege. But the Sybil siblings used their favor in order to oppress many and now they are at the eye of the storm. The decision of the emperor made the Circle tremble in fear. If the queen and her kin can be punished, what about them? A little mistake perhaps it was off with their heads. 

As a result, the ministers in the court were even more cautious in their words and deeds.

Because of the emperor’s ruthless action those who wanted to show their fangs to pounce suppressed their ambition and temporarily tucked their tails.  

The situation within Asturia’s imperial family changed abruptly and it also somehow affected their subjects. The palace announced that the south completely broke away from the empire and had raised thousands of troops en route to the imperial city, Ava. 

Asturia now needs to raise their guard against the insurgents, gather food and fodder to continuously supply the southwestern military post, the forefront of the battle.  

The aristocrats have to play their part as urged by the monarch himself; they must raise funds in order to support the army and quell refugee unrest.  

With these problems needing to be urgently addressed, naturally, the welcoming banquet has to be postponed. 

6