Under The Sun: Pizza Angel
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

POV: Elena, the seventh
Date: August 5, 1994
Time: 7:30 PM

I could feel Madine's adventurous hands sneaking around from behind me, scooping up my breasts and giving them a playful squeeze. Her breasts were pressed up against my back as she gave me this erotic hug. I had to put my hands on top of hers and move them to a more appropriate place, since we weren't yet in private. Where we were, however, was the middle of the street, wandering around among town where, in an hour, there would be bright neon lights everywhere. The sun was only just setting, though, so we had the world's brightest light to guide us.

"How much farther to your place?"

Madine's getting restless, so I have to distract her. I know, I asked for this, and I'm okay with it, but I want to spend more time out and about, having fun, you know? I'm trying not to think about anything else right now, but I can't help but worry about when I have to go to work in a few hours. I suppose she's right, though. If we want to have some fun in bed, we should get there before I have to go again.

"Well, are we getting pizza, then? There's a place a little ways away. It's on the way to my apartment." I pointed ahead to the general direction of where I lived. Right now, that wouldn't lead us anywhere helpful, but once we were out of all this main attraction stuff Vegas has, we'll be golden. "I've never gone there, but it should be good, right?"

She wavered a bit, then stopped. "Um... shit, uh..."

What was that? "Something wrong?"

Madine was quiet for a few seconds, but eventually she shrugged it off. "We should get moving then."

It really didn't take long for us to get out of the madhouse that that street is and find our way safely to a part of Las Vegas where normal things are to be found. The pizza parlor was exactly where I remembered it, and I was kind of excited to step into it for the first time. Madine seems to think this is an essential American experience. Where I grew up in Romania, we didn't have anything like this. We didn't have anything like any of Vegas, really, but pizza especially.

We went in, and Madine ordered two pizzas. I thought that seemed like a bit much, but she insisted we start with one extra cheese pizza and one pepperoni pizza. The most fundamental pizzas, to hear her tell it. When they arrived, I was surprised to see that they were bigger than I expected. If you're familiar with pizza, you'll know what I mean when I say I really liked it. If you're not familiar, I recommend it. That's all I can really say.

About halfway through both pizzas, someone approached our table. I expected it might be a server here to take away our used dishes, so I put a hand over the pizza. "We're not done yet."

The girl laughed. "No, you're not. I'm just checking in on you. Madine, you figure out how your glasses work yet?"

We both stopped and looked over to the girl standing there in the pizza parlor's worker uniform. She was pretty short, and the hat didn't look like it really fit on her either. Her eyes were startlingly red, but other than that she looked mostly fine. She knew about Madine's glasses, and it didn't look like Madine knew how she knew about them, so that was something of a concern, you could say.

Madine squinted at her for a second, then I saw her face light up with recognition. "Oh, hey, it's juror number twelve. How you doing?"

Juror number twelve?

Madine turned to me, pointing in the girl's general direction with her pizza slice. "She was on the jury for Nara's trial. Little creepy, and I don't know her name, but meeting her is pretty much a required part of joining our little club. I met her back at the carnival, actually."

Oh, I see. Well, now I guess I'm officially a part of the... club? I looked the girl up and down, but other than her teeth looking just a little too sharp, she was passably human. Something was going on with her pants, but I wasn't one to ask about another girl's ass. "So... what's your name?"

She grinned, raising a finger and wagging it in our faces. "That's half a secret, so you only get to call me Jane."

"Yeah, Mary thinks you're an angel. That true?"

I nearly choked on my pizza when Madine said that. An angel? Seriously? You have to be kidding me, I- shit, wait, if she's an angel, am I in trouble? The medium work Miss Snow and I do is fake, but even pretending to do it... do angels take vengeance in person for that kind of thing?

For her part, the girl, Jane apparently, flicked her hair over her shoulder with a dramatic flourish. "Oh, gee, you really think I look like an angel? You sure know how to flatter a girl."

"Yeah, but are you, though?" Madine was persistent.

"I'm... maybe." She seriously wants to play this game. She kind of just tipped her hand. It looked like she was about to say she was, but then decided to play a bit longer. Still, she gave in a moment later. "You could say I am."

Okay, let's assume she's telling the truth. This does concern me on a number of levels, but first and foremost is that if she's an angel, that means that there are also demons, and if there's demons I maybe want to stop with the crap that attracts them. I can't go into work tonight. More time in bed- wait, I think being gay is a sin too. Shit. Wait, I think swearing is a sin too... uh oh.

Madine, of course, was asking the important questions. "So where's your halo and wings? Aren't you supposed to have a flaming sword too? You're not even wearing sandals."

"There's a dress code for working here."

Yeah, about that. I cut in. "If you're an angel, why are you working at a pizza place?"

"So many questions. Obviously, I'm in disguise, because the real forms of angels are terrifying to mortals." Okay, that's fair. "And wings are awfully big. I wouldn't want to accidentally drop feathers in people's food. They're strict enough about hair here as it is." Also fair. "And I don't use a sword."

"Well... well what do you use, if not a sword?" I'm genuinely curious now. Even if she's just a crazy girl, she's told us she doesn't use a sword, but in a way that implied she used something else. "A spear?"

"Nothing so gaudy." She waved off the spear like it was ridiculous. "Well, that's a secret, actually. I'd tell you, but then I'd have to kill you." She stepped back and made a stupid little pose, one foot in the air behind her, and an awkward salute with a sideways peace sign up against her eye. I don't even know what I'm looking at. She stuck out her tongue and said something that sounded like "Jay-Kay."

Madine looked about as nonplussed as I felt. She fished into her pocket. "Okay, so do you like have the bill or something?"

"No, but I can go get it." She scurried off.

I took a bite of my pizza, watching for when she might return, and Madine let out a sigh. She grabbed another slice and stuffed it in her mouth, the taste quickly taking her out of whatever foul mood that encounter might have dredged up. I know the pizza was doing wonders for my mood too.

A couple minutes later, when we were a little closer to actually being done, Jane showed up again with the bill. "Hey, guys, I just thought I should let you know. Melany Snow stole John's car. She's run out to the desert. Speaking of which, would you like dessert?"

I've decided I hate angels.

0