A difference in status
620 2 31
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The carrier had left the mountain on a good note, earning another happy hug from Alvarr before he made his way through the tunnel. The moment he stepped outside, though, he immediately began to frown, deep in thought.
There was absolutely nothing special about the small stones and pebbles around the door area, but that one particular, larger stone had been lying differently before, was what his feeling told him. "An animal?", he whispered to himself, letting his gaze slide over the area. There were no other signs of someone coming by, no footsteps on the ground.

Exhaling slowly, Farin rubbed his aching shoulders. "I'm probably getting paranoid?"

Slightly annoyed at having to walk down another mountain without a clear path, Farin ended up hurrying with a grim face, his mood smoothening only when the red string of the gate came in sight. The carrier was about to groan in relief when the sight of a shadow made the sound get stuck in his throat. His frown resurfaced.

While Farin wasn't exactly quiet, he could still get a bit closer to a completely distracted person, at least close enough to see what they were doing. Cyrille was - with slightly messy hair and chewing on his lip - wandering behind the barrier, furiously looking around.

"Cyrille?", Farin shouted loudly, causing the man to jolt and whip his head around. Farin didn't even try to hide his displeasure as he approached. "I believe I don't need to tell you my concern right now?"
The weird look on Cyrille's features was instantly replaced by his usual smile, this time with an apologetic nuance. "Ah, I apologize. The wind blew my handkerchief over here, so I wanted to get it, but I seem to be unable to find it. Alas, I'll leave it at that. I'm aware that I shouldn't be wandering around here."

With Cyrille admitting his wrong-doings even without being prompted to, Farin had no way to complain. He didn't believe the other man's story about a handkerchief in the slightest, but he could hardly call him out on that lie without proof. "Let us go down the mountain together. If I see your handkerchief around, I will bring it back to you." "That's very kind of you."
Talking pleasant nonsense, both men smiled at each other, their lips stiff. Farin certainly preferred keeping an eye on Cyrille over his usual avoidance right now. Had the noble been walking around the mountain? There were guards, but those wouldn't watch someone who spent a lot of time in the temple.  They had already passed the area where those were stationed and Cyrille, as both a high-ranking noble and acquaintance of Ives and Farin, wouldn't be kept out.

"Working again?", Cyrille inquired with a tone of making small-talk, offering his hand to carry Farin's bag. The carrier shook his head. "It's okay, thank you. Yes, I was working." "Inside the mountain?" "Of course not. I would not be allowed in there at this time."
For once, Farin had a reason to take on a scolding tone with Cyrille - for saying something so utterly stupid. "I merely needed to be around the area. Breaking the rules is something I absolutely wouldn't do."

I don't feel guilty for lying about that. The most important thing is making sure he understands that I won't work for him.
A dark shadow crossed over Cyrille's green eyes at Farin's response. "I apologize. I meant no offense." "None taken."
More lies. Even if they both knew the other was talking bullshit, they continued to play out their happy little relationship. This time, Cyrille was digging for information.

His tone was nonchalant. "Do you know how this temple came to be? There has to be someone who first came across the Gods before they could start with the ritual and everything, correct?" Farin looked straight forward, watching his steps rather than Cyrille, whose gaze was fixed on him. 
"Of course. But I am just a mere commoner; a carrier for the Gods' sacrifice. I hope you aren't planning on asking me why those first people were spared? I don't have that knowledge and don't think I can understand the thoughts of a being way above me." "You weren't told?" "No. I am nothing but a carrier, for as long as I'm willing to be. I'm replaceable. That kind of precious knowledge, I have no right to know."

Farin lowered his eyes for a moment. It was the truth, but he felt like a hypocrite. He, himself, wasn't satisfied with this status. He, himself, was going to ask until he got the information he wanted. Yet here he was, denying another the right.
The feeling was short-lived: He wasn't going to be nice to someone who had plans about the Gods. Especially not after getting to know them.

"Is that not irritating? To be left out like that..." Cyrille whispered like a devil, coaxing Farin to admit his feelings. Instead, the carrier raised an eyebrow. "Cyrille, your family is from a long line of nobles, right?" "Indeed. My family has been close to the royal family for generations." His voice carried his pride and his back straightened. Farin chuckled. "In that case, there isn't too much that will ever stand in your way. It's different from me."

He took a breath. "My family never had a lot of money, even worse after my father had an accident. I always had to be the one to bow down. We didn't have connections to protect ourselves with. We didn't have money to buy us out from troublesome situations. Our village is kind, thankfully, but we could never stand up against certain obstacles in our way. If you want to behave willfully, you need the status to back it up. That's how society is. If I take a wrong step... there is nothing that would keep the temple guards from killing me before I even have the chance to defend myself."

His voice almost became a growl towards the end. Alvarr had made him crazy, but he still didn't do something as mindless as trying to steal the key or entering the storage without being allowed to. He had planned on finding information as much as he could, within the boundaries of his abilities. Since the temple master had given him the key, he used it to its fullest, but even then did he try to not disrupt everyone else.
A commoner couldn't act like a high-ranking noble. Since he could lose his head for the slightest misbehavior towards the upper caste, a feeling of irritation towards Cyrille welled up. He couldn't even speak his mind the way he wanted, lest he offends the man close to royalty.

Cyrille's green eyes blinked in pure surprise as if the mere concept was strange to him. In all his life, he probably never had to think about the possible consequences of his actions. There was always someone who would clean up any mess he'd leave behind without a word.
"They would not truly kill you, would they? Isn't that just a warning?"

Farin laughed out loud, the bitterness within him leaking out. "Maybe not if it was you. We are talking about Gods, Cyrille. An existence higher than a king. They would rather tear one person too much apart than risk insulting the Gods in any way. Since your status is high, they might leave you off just dragging you away. But not a 'Farin', a person who even loses their own name for as long as they work as a carrier."
Cyrille twitched visibly.
Is it the first time you realize that you're playing a dangerous game? Gods aren't your tools for gaining a foothold within that family of yours. There is a reason we revere them.

The man fell deep into thought, quieting down a lot. Satisfied with his reaction, Farin left him to his own devices and watched his feet. Since it was the middle of the day, people were wandering around even in this area to gather wild vegetables and fruit or search for mushrooms. Most of them greeted the passing two men, although some hesitated at seeing Cyrille and merely nodded from afar.
A man Farin recognized as one of Cyrille's personal guards came running. He was wearing common clothes instead of a uniform, as guards other than the temple guards weren't actually allowed up here. They were tolerated as long as they worked otherwise and followed the master's orders for the duration of their stay. This guy was one of those who had chosen to do so in order to follow his master.

The older man greeted Farin with a short bow before turning to Cyrille and whispering something in his ear. The noble's eyebrow moved up almost unnoticeably before he glanced at Farin who had stopped alongside him. "I apologize, it appears something came up. Let's talk again some other time."
Farin didn't reject him. "Certainly. I wish you a pleasant day."

Guard and Cyrille hurried off to somewhere, the blue eyes of the carrier following them until they had blurred too much and he retracted his gaze. Farin pursed his lips.
I don't think they're truly Gods. Somehow, they don't feel that way. So what happened back then, that we treat them like this? If they aren't Gods, but just another species just like we are, then what would keep me from being with Alvarr?
It wouldn't be that long anymore until the temple master would most likely return. Farin dazed off, looking into nowhere until he sneezed from stray pollen tickling his nose. "I should get back as well", he whispered to himself. He was too tired for actual work, but maybe he could ask Ives for some books he could have access to.

He lifted his hand to place it on his chest. The thin chainmail and key were so easily forgotten. He almost felt weird, thinking that he would have to give them back soon. 
What would happen if the key ever broke...?

We're actually closing in on the end already (,,꒪꒫꒪,,) The main storyline isn't that long... Well, there'll be some side stories afterward ahaha~ It can't be helped, this is my first story getting uploaded as I'm writing it, so I don't want to make it too long because I worry about huge plotholes~
The next story is a WIP already and will be uploaded only once it's finished so that I've got enough time to edit it and work on the pacing :3

31