Without A Heart
2.7k 11 34
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Suddenly the pain in her head exploded leaving Daiyu stunned as the time around her seemed to freeze. Her eyes dulled over as she was sucked into the recollections of her past life, and scenes of the past seemed to jump out alarmingly at her.

A boy was running through a lush bamboo forest with a girl whose hand was tightly grasped by him. His face held great excitement while the girl lowered her blushing face.

Under a full moon's soft glow, a girl watched lovingly as a boy nodded to sleep on her lap. Her hand gently stroke the top of his hair. Little gestures of affections the boy in her lap never noticed.

Memories after memories proceeded to flow into her head and Daiyu's body faltered backward, overwhelmed by the sudden rush of information.

The scene changed, and now the same girl was imploring this time, on her knees with her knuckles covered in blood. Her loud cries seemed to echo painfully in the night.

Her bloodied tears that trickled to the ground along with all her wishes that were long dead before her eyes.

A quiet night, a girl with a pale hand that held no love for herself as she performed an aim at her chest with a stem of a broken jar.

A figure that laid in a silent slumber within the surface of death with a gentle smile.

These memories weren't new, and Daiyu had already long recovered them the day she woke up reborn. It was just that she never paid any mind to it as the memories tasted dull and didn't seem necessary. Now that they danced out again, Daiyu paid more attention.

Who was she, that girl in the memories?

Daiyu found herself confused as her eyes remained clouded. She could understand the girl was her yet it also didn't resemble her. Her hand drifted upwards to move over her chest.

No. Who is she, this person in this life?

What effect the memories should and once had was no longer there which rendered Daiyu's mind perturbed.

The girl in her recollections was her.

That much was clear.

However, why would she die for someone? This question rang in her head.

But how would a person without a heart ever recognize the painstaking efforts of a person chained by the strings of love?

So soon Daiyu found herself perplexed. Her once intense and profound feelings that she couldn't part in her life was no longer here in this life, so there was nothing.

No hatred.

No love.

The memories only felt broken to her, it held no more significant meaning. It was like watching a play.

A dull one at that.

The old her lived and died for this Guiren.

Daiyu frowned, her fingers twitched.

Why?

Why.

Her calm heartbeat was almost mocking her.

The odd feeling she always thought she wasn't right.

A missing piece.

She no longer had a heart.

So that's what it was. An unusual smile seemed to illuminate her face. Wasn't this a blessing? She was no longer confined by her emotions.

She was free.

But, why was he here? Her eyes flickered to his face.

According to her memories, Guiren wasn't supposed to be here at this time. He shouldn't have even known her name. He was still in the outer courts, hidden within the crowd.

Did he, get reborn as well?

It didn't matter now.

To have a life without a chain holding her down, Daiyu wanted to live — to erase all regrets and be without regrets. Cutting all ties meant she was no longer obliged to love him nor did she have the ability to. Nonetheless, even without her emotions to cause her downfall, Daiyu still saw Guiren as a threat.

With a wide swing of her long sleeves, she flung his trembling hand away from her arm. Gently patting her garments, she looked strangely at him.

"Do I know you?"

Do I know you? Her words seemed to cut coldly into his heart, and Guiren faltered. Right. She didn't. At least, not yet. However, he could not wait. The days of hoping to see her. The hours of looking forward to seeing her. His heart was in turmoil. Yet now, she remembered nothing. What was he to say?

He withdrew his hand and looked down meekly, "I just-"

"Shifu. I shall take my leave now," Without another word, she left the courtyard. Although surprised, her master didn't stop her. Perhaps the child was distressed by all of this.

The selecting day continued, but Guiren refused to follow anyone else. How did he miss his most crucial chance? What did he say wrong? He felt his eyes prickling, but he held in his tears. When the selection ended, he continued to stand, numb in the same spot Daiyu left him in. His body seemed to sway uncontrollably.

A small figure passed before him, and it seemed to awaken Guiren from his state of mind.

"Stop for me."

The figure in front of him stopped as Guiren demanded, but it still angered Guiren. Who was he? Why did Daiyu pick him? Guiren grabbed the collar of the other boy, so they looked at each other face to face.

Guiren studied him, his heart bitter.

In case it's confusing, Daiyu was confused it was her as her emotions are detached and she doesn't understand why she would have something like that for someone else.

34