CHAPTER 6: Agnes feels like life of a pet owner is a bit complicated
61 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I felt as if I just woke from a nightmare.

I turned my head to the side to see Fenrir still glaring at me.

Hey Hey Hey, Fenrir do I have to teach you about gratitude?

I ignored him and stretched before getting out of bed. “Fenrir, I’ll be going out today to work. I need you to listen carefully.” I stared at it. “ See this?” Reaching out to the bedside table to ring a bell. “Incase you need more water, food or help. Ring this bell.” I went closer to put the bell down, but not too close that the chain wouldn’t be able to restrain him or too far that it would strangle him.

“Understand?”

“… woof”

“Miss Agnes? You called?” a maid asks outside the door.

“Yes, come in.” I looked back to Fenrir and gauged his expression.

Hey you, do you have a fetish for maids is that it? If you were human I’d be smacking you on the head right now.

Whatever, as long as we keep the peace we wont have any problem.

 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

“Sister Agnes!” Elizabeth finally arrives in the library.

“Good day Elizabeth.”

“I heard that sister decided to keep the puppy as a pet!” Her eyes glistened.

I know you want to come over and play, but I think the puppy you so excitedly speak of is more introverted and scary than what you envision a lovable fur baby to be.

“Yes, I’ve decided to take care of Fenrir till it’s fully healed.” I answered as I prepared the lessons to be taught for the day.

“Fenrir for a puppy’s name?” the Prince chimes in as he takes a seat.

“Yes” I forgot that there weren’t any books about mythology in this world.

“That’s a unique name.” Elizabeth smiles at Benjamin whose face started to heat up from her attention.

“We’ll be reading the next chapter of Ulynsus’ History, about the ‘Cereus Flower’. “ I quipped. Trying to stop the subject of how the name came to be.

The Cereus flower is a human chosen by the gods to communicate between heaven and earth. God’s chosen child that ‘blooms’ every hundred years or in the earth’s time of need. One of the first ‘flowers’ was the heir of Ulynsus, which strengthened the kingdom’s power as well as the ‘bond’ with other countries. People usually chosen as the Cereus are female, which are usually seen as saints because of their strong healing powers, while male Cereus are seen as heroes because of their strength. Both having a strong light attribute, giving the illusion that they were blessed by the gods and will be given the highest position in the church to be safeguarded. Each Cereus Flower is born during wars or whenever the gods are warning the people of impending danger.

Both genders are not born as a Cereus but rather given the position by the gods.

 

‘The gods cover the night sky and the world blends into darkness’

‘People will gather around the palace gates with a lone candle in each hand’

‘Singing prayers and praises to the gods above’

‘And before them, will light upon the curtain of darkness the Cereus flower’

 

The one main reason they are chosen is to ward away demons that have formed and overflowed from human emotions.

They are there to guide the people who have swayed their ways and give glory to the gods above.

“But wouldn’t there still be bad people no matter what?” The Prince asks.

“Human nature makes us greedy, selfish and …” both children looks at me in silence. I formed my face back into a gentle smile.

I’m sorry, my emotions… my past emotions took a sudden hold on me.

“ But… as living humans. We strive to live and be the best be can possibly be.”

 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

“I’m back.” I enter my chambers. Checking the corner of the room to see Fenrir enjoying his dinner without looking back at me.

Well hello to you too?

“Sorry to disturb you but do you mind indulging me in a conversation?” He seems well enough to be able to move like that. Do Wolf pups heal that fast?

“…”

“I’ve been wondering. Do your species really know how to understand human language?” I walk towards my bed to sit and try to make light conversations with the pup. “Bark once for “YES” and Bark twice for ‘NO’”. I added

“…”

“Is it just you?”

“…”

“*sigh…* I’ll try to give a more specific question.” Don’t growl. Don’t I deserve to know why a pup like you was found in the palace garden? I’ve been giving excuses all day to how I found you and why I took you in.”.

It lowers its heard to drink some water. Then stares back at me.

“Were you trained to learn the language?”

*… woof*

“Oh, so did you escape from your owner?”

*growls*

“Sorry.”

“…”

“How is it even possible to capture a pup like you? Your kind isn’t even considered a house pet… unless you were taken as a beast companion from an adventurer.” I say to myself.

“From what I know about feral species… well your more evolved forms are seen as almost endangered. Most people know its illegal to capture you… let alone be experimented. And I’ve never heard of a puppy like you being researched by from the board of education.” I lay down the bed completely. “Did you know the board of education prohibits people to experiment on living beings? The last I heard this happened the people involved were bought into trial.” When was the last time I freely let out my thoughts like this.

“Do you know what happened?” I sat back up to look for the bell. I forgot to have dinner again!

*woof woof*

“They were demoted to slaves then ...beheaded.” Oh so now you're interested. there was much more to that story based on this body's memories but i don't think a puppy is supposed to hear such things.

“People in Ulynsus try not to go against any living creatures the gods make. They believe that though it seem like gives them an upper hand that to have the privilege to hold certain power over others, they're still doing it to a living being to which the church and king believes that thing is blasphemy and to show so much gratitude to the gods for what was given to the empire and its people they've prohibited these. That is unless its meat and fish. Because you know people need to eat and still show who’s top of the food chain.” Should I change to a lighter dress first?

“How long have you been…” Oh I don’t think it’ll bother answering that question.

I begin to go behind the folding screen to change.

“I’ve called for a healer tomorrow.” I begin. “He’ll be inspecting your injuries to let us know the extent of the injury.” I get out more refreshed no that I've changed.

Fenrir still stares at me, waiting for me to continue.

“We’ll also know how long you’ll be staying by then.”

 

 

 

 

I really haven’t made any reveal about ‘Agnes’ past and that’s because I’m still debating how to reveal it. I know how Agnes came to be but I’m not really sure what will make her want to talk about her past yet.

i also don't know when ill update as my new job requires me to write so much that its now stressing me out. haha :)

Thanks for reading!

4