[6] Did we fail?
1.9k 3 68
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The once white land was red. Claire couldn't help but take a few steps back, removing her footing from the spreading blood that spilled from the headless giant. The hole itself was grotesque, abashed to rips of skin, not to mention the splatter around the corpse. Alicia's nose twitched in aversion but the vampire remained where she was, though a soft frown crossed her face as she, too, stared at the dead creature.

The wind blew the frosted smell of blood into the air and snow fluttered down from the perpetually cloudy sky. At that moment, the same thought ran through both girl's minds: Had they just failed?

"Question, Alice, he did say that he would tell us the location of his 'heart' if we fought him and he found our strength sufficient, right?" Claire asked, though her memory was anything but foggy.

Alicia nodded "He did."

". . .he's undoubtedly dead, right?"

Alicia nodded. This time, twice. "Yup yup. Mhmm mhmm. He is dead."

"Then how will he be telling us anything?"

"I don't know."

Claire narrowed her crimson eyes. Clearly, she thought, the ice giant had not planned for the two to win the battle, let alone Alicia by herself. The question, then, was simple.

'If we can't get an answer. . .don't tell me that's an automatic failure? That's a bit ridiculous.' Claire thought.

"I'm sorry. . ." Alicia apologized.

"Hmm?"

"I'm sorry I killed him."

Claire shook her head. "It's fine. I am the one who said go all out, after all."

Alicia seemed to not be satisfied with that answer, however. The vampire muttered.

"You're really not mad?"

Claire smiled, shrugged, and stared back at the corpse. She thought about it, but, she really couldn't bring herself to fret over a failure. Sure, it would forever be within her memories, propped up there as a stain unforgettable. Yet, she was used to such things. It would be frozen and kept down.

"Oh you're cute. . ." She muttered. "But no. Failing once or twice, even thrice, is nothing. We can try again. And, even if we can't, I won't grief from that."

The ground rumbled.

"That's the correct answer." The voice of Ymir resounded.

Snow, white and red, rose into the air like a wall. Then it all smashed down upon the corpse of the giant. A mass of wind swirled everything together, raising the corpse until ice came over the headless thing then shattered away to reveal a newly reformed giant.

His feet landed and the realm shook.

". . ." Both Claire and Alicia were stunned.

"You're. . .alive?" Alicia asked.

Frost lingered into the air as the creature released a breath. His white eyes opened and his body bent to squat until he was only half as tall as usual.

"As long as this realm exists, I cannot die." It said. "At least, not in the way you mortals are familiar with. I am closer to a spirit than a living being, after all."

"I see. . ."

Ymir stared at both girls as the wind blew his fur.

"You are strong, vampire. And you, you chose the correct answer, fairy."

Claire's brows furrowed as pieces clicked in her mind.

'Don't tell me. . .First that mentor of mine throws us a red herring by saying we had to find Asta before we face Ymir. Then, he tests our resolve? I should have known.' Clearly, Claire still needed to touch up on her other-world-fantasy knowledge. 'Wait. . .then, would Ymir have died no matter how strong or weak we were?'

It was a thought experiment. That meant the ice king had not gone all out. If that were true, then Alicia wasn't a natural match for him. Yet, she didn't have to ask as the ice king smiled at them both.

"I see you are curious but there is no reason for that. I will answer your curiosity."

"Oh?" Claire raised a brow. "Please do."

"Very well."

Ymir sighed and sat down on the soft earth. He folded his arms.

"Sit down, would you?" He asked.

Claire looked behind her. Two chairs of ice, clear and crystal, had manifested within an instant. She hadn't even felt his mana, nor noticed anything until it was too late. It was as if he naturally controlled every ouch of snow and ice in this land. It was as if. . .she was inside another person's Glacial World.

'Dangerous.' She thought as she sat down. 'Very dangerous.'

When both girls were seated next to one another, Ymir nodded.

"It is as you thought. Your mentor, Igris Neihime, placed me here to test his disciple on three fronts." He said as he raised a finger. "Your courage to face me, not run away and die in my realm."

He pointed at Alicia, who tilted her head.

"Your strength to survive a battle with me, handicapped as I am."

Then he moved his large finger until it was before Claire's face.

"And your resolve to face failure and stand firm."

Claire blinked her eyes as he retreated his arm and smiled.

"You both have passed my trial. Two you are, but together you move as one."

Claire glanced at Alicia to see the vampire looking at her too. For a moment, her eyes lingered on the necklace around her partner's neck, made from both of their abilities. A soft smile was reflected in the Ice Queen's crimson eyes, half-shown due to her mask, and Claire found the lonely fang cute. She returned the smile then turned back to the giant.

"That's a rather interesting trial. . ." Claire nodded, then asked. "But how do we retrieve Asta?"

The giant smiled.

"If you had not shown your resolve, you would have had to search this realm and forever be stuck here as me telling you my heart's location is an illusion."

It stretched its palm out and a blue glow floated there.

"However, since you stood, you may have my heart, fairy."

The glow vanished and a ball of snow, fluttering flakes, was revealed.

"O—oh! Miss!" The ball of snow trembled with joy as a childish voice flowed out. "I haven't seen you since. . .since?. . .I don't know!"

Claire's eyes widened.

"Asta." She smiled.

68