Prologue: The Beginning
131 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Somewhere in an Unnamed Forest on Eklipses, at nearly the stroke of midnight...

 

A starless sky is present above the forest this night. Most of the woodland creatures asleep this night except a certain animal can be found moving along the mixed canopy of living and dead trees indifferent to the time of its activity.

The animal is a squirrel as it scuttles among the gnarled and living branches moving through the canopy with wanton abandonment.

With the grace of its kind, it rushes among the branches as it fervently searches for edible plants and berries to consume. 

 

A few hours into its search the squirrel climbs into the dense canopy above one of the few clearings in the forest.

While it does so, it discovers no noise is present around or in the clearing.

Though perhaps due to something deeper or just a fancy, the squirrel ignores this natural warning.

 

It's only when it does its usual scanning of psychic energy it does to check where nearby animals are that causes the squirrel to freeze swiftly on the spot, for it has discovered something... so foreign. It doesn't take long before the squirrel regains awareness of where it is and rushes away in a fit of terror, as quickly as it can get away from what its sense has discovered in the clearing below, wanting no part of what the being below represents. 

Within this clearing is a pile of tightly finely woven leaves, neatly stacked upon each other in a pile in the clearing's center. Though the construction of the pile of leaves is of stunning quality albeit unremarkable in itself, it can only be described as abnormal, for the why a pile of leaves would exist in this forest, for numerous reasons, as no sapient race call this forest or its nearby lands home and the animals and magical beast that do, simply do not possess the fine precision to make such a pile of remarkable neatness or, those that do possess such, possess no instinct or drive to do so, leaving this pile a puzzling mystery, if not looked at further.

For in defiance of these facts, is what uses this pile of leaves as a crude home, something like a tent of sorts. To which that makes this little pile so ominous to approach, let alone find. For within its structure, lies a being that does not belong to this world, in any form or shape, nor should it have been allowed in this plane. For that which has escaped especially the notice of the gods, and continues doing so, while it's deeply asleep, begs answers which no faithful human would like to know, much less accept.

Though soon the current status quo changes for before long the entity within begins to stir and awaken, though it momentarily struggles to remain awake, though only for a moment. Once it has become fully awake, the being starts to try to shake the leaves off its ragged clothing before choosing to stand as its first action on this day. Within dozens of rags stitched in a facsimile of clothing, it takes over an hour of effort and fine combing with its claws, before the being is satisfied it has removed all the leaves from its body.

Once done with its careful cleaning, the alien creature begins to glance around with silent diligence, both wary and sorrowful as it takes in the poor condition of the forest it's in. Though whether or not it was intended, for any who were to gaze upon its action of looking around, they would interpret a much more sinister ulterior motive to its actions. For those who would be suspicious of it, they might even begin to assume it is making a grisly attempt in trying to move its head in a normal manner, trying to mask its inherent eldritch nature.

To which instead, its attempt at normalcy serves to just enhance its uncanny quality to all viewers, as it seemingly appears to bask in the destruction of the land it's currently within and the fruitless struggles of the land to return to prosperity. Though in sad defiance of this stunning deduction someone full of pride might declare even as logical founding, this is far from the actual truth, to the extent it could be called the exact opposite of what the intentions and feelings of the being are on the matter.

After a small while to bask in its solemnity of the dead land, it returns to the matter at hand once it has finished observing its surroundings. Though sad it found no traces of any conversational partner, the being begins to meticulously get to work. It starts its work by first picking up an ornate yet unusually sturdy shovel from within its recently slept-in leave pile tent. It takes a few moments to move the shovel into a comfortable grasp, but once it has done so, it begins to dig into the ground with purpose and diligence.

Though it does not stop digging for a long time until it finds the item it was searching for. Within moments of discovery, the being grasps the object it had found, before promptly yanking it from the earth. Once the item is removed from the earth, for moments afterward, the ground seems to shudder with movement, almost in a raging manner, before silence returns as the tremors stop. The being in a manner that could be easily seen as ominous looks at the soil confused, before embedding a spear into the earth as a gesture of some kind.

Once done, it holds up the item it had obtained with which pulsed with glowing energy, a sapphire gem that seems to glow even brighter in the darkness. Once sufficiently done admiring its find and reward, it then appears to put away its prize as well as its shovel, though where they were put away remains uncertain. Any bystander who might have watched would agree in the end, that the two items, seem to have simply ceased to exist when he performed said actions.

Once it ensures the spear is properly embedded within the earth and would not budge without intentional effort. While also dusting itself off it begins to leave, leaving behind only a spear, the pile of leaves that soon will degrade with time, and traces of energy, to mark it had existed there. Leaving the clearing desolate as it had arrived, except for what it had exchanged at this place.~

2