Chapter 39- If you Build It
186 3 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Underdark- Unending Abyss Region
Ruins

I studied the Orc then the pile of armor and weapons, "Go through everything, sort out what you find acceptable and what is to be melted down and reused. While we do not have a smithy yet, it's a building that is a priority. As far as the weapons and armor that pass your inspection, sort through them based on the perimeters I set. Ok master Urgran?" I prodded the Orc.

He nodded absently, "Of course my lord, but the work I can do is severely limited without a smithy to work in. I understand why you are constructing a town hall and repairing and building the longhouses and the outer wall, but you should prioritize the construction of a smithy as soon as possible." the Blacksmith stated and I received a prompt.

<<<>>>

Quest Alert: Settlement Set-Up

Description: Creating a new settlement, is never easy. There is so much work to do, but despite what you might think every settlement needs some core buildings to prosper. See that a Town Hall, (6) Long Houses, (1) Smithy, (1) Barracks, and a wall is constructed.

Quest Class: Settlement; Personal

Quest Difficulty: Moderate

Success: Have a Town Hall, (6) Long Houses, (1) Smithy, (1) Barracks, and a wall constructed.

Failure: Do not build the core buildings for your settlement's continued existence.

Rewards: 1,000 Experience, +50 Loyalty, Morale, and Productivity, Unknown

Note* As lord and leader of the settlement, this Quest is mandatory and cannot be refused.

<<<>>>

I smiled at the Orc and nod, "I will see that a smithy is built as soon as possible, but we will build it as soon as possible. How are you for fuel once we do get a smithy built?" I asked the Orc and he looked at me.

"You purchased a large amount of raw ore and fuel for a smithy and from what you told me you also found an iron mine. Once it opens Iron Nodes also drop coal and on occasion an uncut gem as well. Once you have the iron mine up and running, we shouldn't have to purchase any fuel to smelt ore." Torgan explained and I nodded in understanding and spotted Abraxxus with a word I was off. 

"Abraxxus!" I called the Lich and my Seneschal stopped immiedietly and reoriented on me. "You asked to see me?" I told the Lich and he nodded.

"Yes my lord, I wanted to advise you since the dissolving of several of the Lower Houses due to their rebellion, some of their former Thralls that survived the attack joined the settlers here or are awaiting back in the city hoping to gain the patronage of another House. With your continued insistence of putting yourself in danger, I would suggest you recruit more and not just combat Thralls. Speak with Drax, he will be able to reach out to any remaining Houseless to seek out what you want and need." Abraxxus advised and I rolled my eyes but agreed. With the looming call to arms quest, I needed all the help I could get. "Now, after discovering the grove and mines, you have decided to go back to the city to hire a team of loggers and possibly acquire a Dryad if possible. Be wary, for those creatures of magic and only act for their reasons and they might not line up with your own." the Lich advised and I frowned but accepted the advice. 

"Thank you Abraxxus, but some could say the same about you. Now, do I need to acquire any other supplies that we missed in our initial purchases or any more skilled labor?" I asked the Lich, after he rocked back on his heels at my initial statement, which was true. 

The Lich shook off whatever was going through its head and responded, "Nothing comes to mind, my lord. I do have a question?' the Lich prompted and at my nod, he continued. 'Captain Dulkam advised me that you wanted all those willing, to be trained to defend themselves. May I ask why?" the Lich prodded and I looked around but lowered my voice as I stepped closer to Abraxxus. 

"Imagine yourself as House Dhalmass, you are aware of all the resources here and suddenly someone came and destroyed your new fortress and settlement that you were building here. Would you let that fly?" I asked the Lich and after a moment he frowned and shook his head. "No, neither would I, and neither will they. House Dhalmass will send an army, but since we are in the outliers of their sphere of influence, the responding force is likely to be small. A fight is coming to Abraxxus, it's only a matter of time and how many we will face. A small force we can take on, but a larger force will wipe us out. That is why I want the outer wall built and our people trained to defend themselves. It very well might be the difference between victory and defeat." I told the Lich before clapping him on the shoulder and striding away. 

About halfway back to one of the newly repaired longhouses and stopped and frowned before reaching and grasping a figure who gasped in surprise. "Well my little shadow, I was just being playful Chalxae but I did not exactly expect you to follow me everywhere," I told her as I pulled her close and causing her to shiver slightly as I grazed her neck with my lips before releasing her. "I assume Drax told or asked you to watch over me?" I prodded her and while she was blushing and flustered how I had handled her, she nodded. 

"Yes my lord, Drax asked me to watch over you while the settlement is still vulnerable to outside attack," she replied and I frowned.

"Well Drax does not command you, I do. Do I not?" I asked her and she blushed some more but nodded as she stepped closer to me but before she could speak I silenced her with a look and finger across the lips. "Thank you for your concern but we all need to be careful and unlike anyone else here, if I die I will resurrect. Now gather everyone else, we have to head to the city so if everyone is available and wants to come, they should do so now. That includes you my little shadow." I told her and she smiled and nodded before darting off. 

I looked at Jigibs, the Goblin was overseeing the continued work on the town hall. Already the foundation was complete and most of one wall with it, and while the settlers had some Geomancers among their ranks, we were stretching them to their limits with working them in repairing the longhouses, building the town hall, and tearing down the ziggurat. Yet their skills and ability to make stone flow like water when they wanted to, not to mention the skill that allowed them to fuse stone made them invaluable in our construction efforts. 

This was why the Queen had only allowed six of them to come, with the lower city secure, she had ramped up the reclamation efforts. Thus every Geomancer was worth their weight in gold, but I had also pointed out that the Kobolds of the Earth-Cracker Tribe might be willing to offer their assistance for a price. I had no idea what it might be, but I was sure the Queen could meet it. 

I shifted my gaze to the ziggurat, already one wall was done and the stone was being cut into segments to be reused elsewhere. Based on what Jigibs and Magrum had determined, the whole outer wall had to be torn down and rebuilt to my specifications. Once completed it would be a formidable fortification and the Duergar had talked me down from a twenty feet tall wall to ten feet tall and ten feet wide. The gatehouse and archery towers had passed their approval, but they had discounted the siege weapon emplacements. 

With the lack of resources and expertise, we couldn't build or work with the siege weapons. At least not yet, but a time would come that this settlement would have siege weapons supporting the defenders. The cavern was big enough to support their deployment, we had proved that when attacking this place and having the weapons deployed behind the wall would ensure their safety long enough to disrupt any attack given time, or make any attacker soak the ground with their blood to take this place. 

Yet what could be strengthened by Geomancers, could also be destroyed by them. The question was how? It was another thing I had both the Engineer, Quarry Master, and Geomancers thinking about. I told them I did not expect an answer right away, but I did want them to think about it. "Ready!" I looked at Drax, he was accompanied by the others.

While we could use a portal to get back, according to Abraxxus, until my new settlement was more established and developed, we couldn't use portal scrolls to get here. Not yet anyway. "Good, I want to get back as soon as possible," I told them cracking the seal from the scroll and causing a portal to open. I ushered the others through and quickly followed them into the city. "Drax, did Abraxxus talk to you about recruiting from among the former Thralls?" I asked him and he immediately went off with June trailing him. 

I turned to Sessa and Chalxae, "Go to the market and talk to the Overseer there. Ask about anyone with Logging Skill or any Dryads, are willing to relocate. Only once they agree do you tell them about increased pay. No children and since we are only a couple of hours from the city, they shouldn't worry about their families if they have any. Let me know what you find, I am heading to the palace to update the Queen." I told them before striding away. 

There was something different I felt in the air as I walked towards Shadow's Fall Keep. A sense of purpose and determination filled the air, a revitalization filled the air and I smiled. I knew I had nothing to do with it, but when I first came here there was just quiet desperation and loss. I had no idea what had changed, but it was something the people desperately needed and I was glad they had it. 

7