Chapter 41- Growing Pains
197 3 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Underdark- Unending Abyss Region
Ruins of an Iron Mine

I grunted as the Zombie's hands did their best to crush my forearm, I headbutted the creature causing it to stagger back before I lashed out sending the creature's head one way as its bodies stumbled then collapsed. I looked over to see Thelgrum still fighting the floor mini-boss. I quickly triggered Analyze on the creature. 

<<<>>>

Name: Silug the Foreman
Level: 22
Class: Miner
Health: 300/980
Stamina: 625/700
Spirit: 320/500
Description: Undead come in many forms on Ithea. From fully sentient Undead such as a Lich or mindless Skeletons and Zombies. Wight's fall in the middle and are somewhat mindless but are capable of commanding Lesser Undead such as Skeleton's and Zombies while thinking and formulating some basic strategies. 

<<<>>>

The thing wielded a pair of pickaxes like they were twigs and hammered constantly on the Dwarf's broad shield but the others in his war party continued to whittle away at the Wight's health. I thought since the Dwarf was higher level and a Paladin of Moradin, he would have an edge on the Undead, but I might be wrong. The Dwarf was holding his own, but it was apparent they had not worked together much if at all. 

I looked over at Chalxae and caught the Assassin's eye and nodded at the Undead. The Drow smirked and disappeared, as I looked back at the ongoing fight. Rory was too busy playing with a couple of Skeletons with the support of his girlfriend, leaving only Fenwyn to burn down the mini-boss. While the Warlock had somewhat of an edge with her hellfire, the Undead Wight had some inherent Resistance to Shadow Damage. 

While their craziness was going on, Mug was doing his best to keep both Thelgrum and Rory alive. Something that should not have happened. Rory should have brought the other Undead over to Thelgrum, or the Paladin should have picked up the aggro from the Berserker. Either way, there was no need to split the fight as they had. 

I shook my head in disgust, time to step in. "June keep an eye on the tunnel, Sessa burn the boss." I snapped out a command to my other Thralls and new Fireballs filled the mine's tunnel and flew through the air and exploded against the Foreman's back. Chalxae appeared and sunk her dagger's into the Wight's kidneys causing its health to drop into the critical range as the Backstab attacked demolished what remained of the creature's health.

With a shout, Thelgrum slammed his hammer into the Undead chest, caving it in and ending the fight. "Ok, tell me what you learned?" I asked them and nodded to Chalxae to start looting the bodies. Thelgrum glared at Rory who glared right back as Lia tried to calm him down, "This requires actual talking if you want to blame each other. Get it out and done, no bloodshed though!" I told them as I looked over to see Chalxae whistle and bring of the pair of pick axes she had looted from the foreman.

I looked at the two items, while damage they could be repaired once we got a smithy up and running easily. Runes were inscribed on both picks and it was apparent that they were more useful than just makeshift weapons. The arguing and shouting started as I pulled up their information and nodded in appreciation. 

Spoiler

Item Name: Mining Pick of Deep Cleaving
Item Class: Rare
Base Damage: 20
Primary Effect...
--- +10 Constitution
--- +10 Strength
Secondary Effects...
--- Decrease Stamina drain from Mining by 20%.
--- Increase Ore Node yields by 10%.

Item Name: Mining Pick of the Mountains Heart
Item Class: Rare
Base Damage: 20
Primary Effect...--- +10 Constitution--- +10 Strength
Secondary Effects...
--- +1 Skill Level...Mining
--- Increase the Chance Ore Nodes will drop Uncut Gems by 3%.

[collapse]

I dismissed the information and let the blame-game go on for another couple of minutes, allowing the second war party to scream and yell at each other and get it all out before stepping into the middle of things. "ENOUGH!" I yelled making sure they all heard me and looked at all of them. "Do you all feel better now? Got it all out, because we still got more floors to go through and who knows what else lay ahead of us. All I know for sure is we need to clear these mines and I need you all to do it. If you can't work together or won't work together, let me know and I will send you back to the city and find someone else to step up." I told them and they shifted uncomfortably.

I eyed the group, only Fenwyn had stayed out of the arguing and had kept her head in the fight. "Ok, since you guys are going to act like children if you decide to stay, Fenwyn is your War Party leader. You do what she says and when she says it or you answer to me." I told them and the Gnome shook her head only slightly but I continued to stare at her until she sighed and nodded her head in agreement. "If you have a problem with it, say so now and I will ship your ass back to Eternal Night, otherwise fall into line we got a mine to clear." I looked at the others, but no one voiced any objection.

I nodded and strode away as I pulled up my Warlord to scope out all my Warband information and smiled as the information automatically updated.

Spoiler

Warlord: Jacob Longstrider
Warlord Rank: Decurion
War Spirit: 200 (Current Bonus Damage and Armor: 2%)
Subordinates: 2 War Party Leaders (Current: Sessa, Fenwyn)
Warband: 6 Minimum - (10) Max
War Points: 0 (Current Max: 500)
Warband War Feats...
Besieger 1, Unstoppable 1

Personal War Feats...
---None---

War Perk's...
Death Resistance 1, Light Resistance 1, Shadow Resistance 1, Fire Resistance 1, Cold Resistance 1, Lightning Resistance 1, Thickened Light Armor 1, Forced March 1

[collapse]

The information had previously had a bunch of question marks for who had led the second War Party, but I guess voicing my opinion settled the matter. I would let the little Gnome lead and if she proved herself as an able leader, I would keep the party together. The only other recourse I had was moving June to the other War Party to give them a 'Rogue' type and take either Rory or Lia to break up the couple. It might cause some friction, but it would be better to break up the power couple in a group. 

With Chalxae scouting the way we pushed up deeper into the mine. It seemed this mine was dominated by Undead, and we quickly cut through all the mindless Undead that roamed its tunnels. The groups were usually roaming in groups of three to five, and almost all of them were near or just below our levels so we cut through them fairly easily. Eventually we made it to a second waystation where work crews could rest and where ore would be gathered from deeper in the mine to be shipped to wherever it needed to go. 

Waiting there were a dozen Skeleton and Zombie miners, but this time instead of some Overseer a Death Knight was roaming around the small cavern. "Ok, looks like the Death Knight is roving around the room while the boneheads keep to themselves. As soon as the Death Knight gets to the far side, we pull the nearest two groups before taking the Death Knight on." I told everyone and got confirmation quickly. While we could easily stand up to any one or two groups of Undead, backed by a mini-boss, and the fight became more difficult if not impossible without at least some losses. "June, you got the pull," I told the Dark Ranger who gave me a small nod. 

I heard Fenwyn call out her commands and based on the flickering light, she was the one that was going to pull her group. Considering their long-range damage was either her or Lia, it was no surprise she took the initiative since the Undead would be resistant to the High Elf's Necromancy. If we were fighting living enemies, the Necromancer would have been a valuable ally, but against the Undead her Damage was lessened due to the fact they could resist her spells. 

I shook off my worries as June's arrow passed over my shoulder and slammed into our group. It gurgled something as half of its health disappeared before turning and shambling our way. Its five companions however moved faster so I moved forward to intercept them. "Come to me you fugly ones!" I called out as I triggered my taunt ability. While this was not technically a Dungeon, the Undead were following the rules of a Dungeon which helped us immensely. Moonlight chuckled as I swung the blade lopping off an arm as the fight commenced. 

It was soon joined as the other War Party engaged their group. Arrows and Fire Balls flew all around me as I did my best to dodge and deflect attacks, but with all my heavy armor slowing me down, it was difficult with so many opponents. Thankfully the others continued to burn them down so I could concentrate on my defenses. Thankfully the Skeletons and Zombies wielded only pickaxes or shovels if any weapons at all. 

Chalxae concentrated on the Zombies since they were higher level, had more health, and hit harder. The Assassin constantly danced around stabbing and slashing, providing a key distraction when needed most, and saving me from more than one brutal hit. 

In less than two minutes our group was down and Thelgrum was finishing up his last Zombie. We quickly looted the corpses and I looked at June, "I am going to pin down the second mining group while we deal with the first one. Once my bog spell ends, cast your own on the second group to keep them pinned down. Thelgrum will pick up the Death Knight. Once we destroy all the miners, we will assist with downing the boss. Understand?" I asked as I laid out my rough plan but leaving enough room for both Sessa and Fenwyn to make changes. 

Ten minutes later, the Death Knight was toast, and Lia was looking through the wreckage of the Undead to see if any of them were salvageable. According to the Necromancer while the materials were overall intact somewhat, whoever had animated the creatures left lingering damage to the bodies so they couldn't be claimed by other Necromancers. Considering I knew jack and shit about Necromancy, I was trusting the High Elf not to bull shit me about her findings. 

The third tunnel down led down a short passage and it revealed a small chamber lit by torches. In the center of the chamber was a Necromancer standing opposite of a Dwarf. The Dwarf was covered in all sorts of wounds and had been tortured. 

I looked at June and she nodded and I whispered in Chalxae's ear causing the Drow to smile before disappearing into Stealth. After a minute or so, June quickly moved and suddenly the Necromancer sprouted a trio of arrows as Chalxae appeared behind the chanting Necromancer as she cut his throat and stabbed him low in the back. Between the two surprise attacks, the Necromancer didn't have a chance. 

"Mug and Drax, take care of the Dwarf. Lia, I want to know what you can find out about what this guy was doing here." I quickly commanded and the three rushed forward. Finding the Undead and Necromancer controlling them was one thing, the Dwarf could be a problem though. One with both short and long-term consequences. "As soon as the Dwarf is stable and Lia is done working, we are leaving. Rory, you are on babysitting duties." I told the big man earning I nod from the Berserker. 

7