Chapter 01: Transmigration
149 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Mysterious voice: "You are currently being pulled to a hostile world to work as a slave and guinnie pig for magic experimentation by evil magicians who also deal in satanic rituals, inhumane experimentation, mind control, and discrimination. I had no part in any of this, I am merely here just to help you. Ah! I almost forgot, you are also being broken down into tiny little piece but don't worry you will be reassembled eventually."

If you're wondering how the heck did I got myself into this situation, let's rewind a just a little bit, I promise. 

"Ding! Doonnggg!"

It was just after my programming class with Mr. Archivald. My name is Orpheus, I have straight brown hair, dark brown eyes and fair skin. If you're wondering why is my name so unique, it is because my family named me after the Greek hero with the same name obviously. Though Orpheus wasn't a hero exactly. No, he was more like an adventurer, musician, poet, and lover. He'd rather sing a song than to give up just because he is weak. My mom loved that about him, calm, quick-witted and brave just what she wanted me to be. 

Mr. Archivald: "Class dismissed! Don't forget to submit your assignment online! Remember! Be unique! I know if you just copy pasted or not! Orph, please turn off the main breaker of the lab before you go. Since you're the closest to it."

Orpheus: "Okay. See you next meeting."

Mr. Richard Archivald is one of the teachers I constantly rely on whenever I needed to debug some of my many projects. He is swell a guy, unlike some of the older teachers who just can't seem to wait for you to just quit college. Back to the task at hand. I got up my seat, wore my bag and head straight for the main breaker and as I flicked the switch off.

"---!!!!"

The breaker suddenly blew up with an ear-splitting boom and after which a great big flash engulfed me. I closed my eyes and covered my ears until the pain and sound subsided. As I opened my eyes a white landscape as far as the eye could see greeted me. I took a deep breath and think as I looked around. If I am dead it would have explained the white but it doesn't explain the emptiness. 'Did I just died and my soul is in the waiting room of the afterlife?' 

Mysterious voice: "To some degree, your observation is correct."

Holy cow! I manage to keep myself from screaming that out due to shock. There is an unknown voice that suddenly appeared, I need to keep a calm facade in other not to be swept up in whatever pace the voice is scheming of.

Mysterious voice: "Doesn't matter if you did or not. I can read your mind anyways, so I know you are indeed quire shocked. I apologize for that but suddenly thinking I am scheming something is rather rude on our first meeting don't you think?"

Orpheus: "... I assume I can't ask you to stop reading my mind and just stick to a verbal conversation now right? "

Mysterious voice: "Another brilliant observation, you are correct."

Orpheus: "..."

Mysterious voice: "I am the sponsor in charge of you, call me whatever you like. You are currently being pulled to a hostile world to work as a slave and guinnie pig for magic experimentation by evil magicians who also deal in satanic rituals, inhumane experimentation, mind control, and discrimination. I had no part in any of this, I am merely here just to help you. Ah! I almost forgot, you are also being broken down into tiny little piece but don't worry you will be reassembled eventually."

Orpheus: "!!!"

What the heck do you mean?! Is what I wanted to scream out about, but I felt an invisible hand clutching my throat stopping me from uttering a word.

Mysterious voice: "I disabled your mental vocal cords just now. I need you remain quiet and listen because there isn't much time. I am currently freezing time and directly talking to you in your mind. Now to sum it up, evil people are summoning you and I am here to help you only a little bit. I can't stop the summoning from happening but I can use Earth's untapped magical power to give you two special abilities, one mental and the other physical. I'm going to let you speak now because I need to know what powers you desire, I can't choice it for you because you wouldn't be able to utilize it properly if I did."

I inhaled and exhaled deeply as I felt the hand had disappeared from my neck. I don't want to believe a word she is saying, but if she is right and time is running out I need to make every second count. She can use some sort of power to give me abilities right? Maybe she could give me an ability that will make me immune to mind control and an ability to beat the heck out those baddies, but then again I'll be trapped in another word with no means to communicate and no way to return. I need some else, something more versatile and all powerful.

Orpheus: "... Cough... There's no time right? Then can you make me a god?"

Mysterious voice: "You are rather shameless aren't you? No, I can't. The amount of power is insufficient and at the same time gods are cognitive beings, they exist and retain form by having people believe in them, and without believers you would instantly disintegrate the moment you become one."

From how she saying it, it's as if it is possible for her to turn me into a god if I had fulfilled all the requirements. The there are too many things I wish to retort, but I'll save it for later, I need think harder, more than that I need more information. For now I'll try to ask how is it she will give me powers.

Mysterious voice: "Yes, save it for later. Also the abilities are given during the reconstruction of your body when your bits and pieces arrive in the other world. As to why only two, it is because your form has already been set to be a regular human on the other side. I can't make any drastic alterations anymore since it will contradict the human blueprint set in place within the summoning spell. That's why I only give you two, the human brain can only support one more extra function and your body can't be changed too much otherwise you won't be defined as a human anymore. Also you're forgetting I can read minds."

Orpheus: "Okay... For now can I have an ability to resist mental corruption and regeneration?"

Mysterious voice: "Yes, you can. There are no problems with the mental corruption resistance ability, but there are some consequences to acquiring regeneration. You won't grow old and you will heal faster but you are prone to cancer and regenerating lost limps sometimes lead to horrendous mutations. Most of all you will be easily susceptible to mutation. Regeneration is rather imperfect. Even if you give up on mental corruption resistance and chose a different ability to compensate the flaws of regeneration, there is no such ability because regeneration is set in every cell of your body and there are no mental ability that I can give that can control that much information and ensure that the user remains under the definition of being human. At the very least you would need a new and completely separate nervous system to control all the regenerating cells."

Orpheus: "... Would it be possible to sacrifice some of my senses to acquire more abilities?"

Mysterious voice: "Yes, indeed it is possible. But I don't see the point."

Orpheus: "I've just had a thought. How about I give up my ability to feel pain? Isn't pain a type of sense you can feel in any part of your body? Since regenerating cells make up the entire body, the part of my brain responsible for pain can receives information from the entire body already, wouldn't that part make an excellent base to form an ability that could control the regenerating cells?"

Mysterious voice: "...."

Orpheus: "... Hello? Are you still there?"

Mysterious voice: "... You know what? That is absolutely brilliant! Yeah, I can most definite be able to reinforce your regeneration ability in exchange for your sense of pain all the while retaining what defines you as a human!"

Orpheus: "That's great?... You sound rather excited..."

Mysterious voice: "Of course I am. It's not every day you get to try something like. Rewriting your entire biology while retaining your humanity. In any case, is there something else you want to trade? Also I hope you already know the consequences of losing your natural abilities."

Orpheus: "It's okay, I already thought of the consequences and I am fine with it. And yes there is in fact another thing. Can you send me knowledge straight to my brain?"

Mysterious voice: "I can but it won't be effective. Memories undergo a long process before they can be remembered accurately. Giving you knowledge is the same as reading a book under a second, you won't be able to remember what you read."

Orpheus: "That would make sense..."

Mysterious voice: "There is an exception. I just thought of this, but you could have some of your existing memories erased in exchanged for knowledge. And I can see why you're asking for knowledge, being in another world would be difficult without knowing the language and common sense."

Orpheus: "Indeed..."

Mysterious voice: "So what memories would you like to forget. Please remember we are almost out of time."

Orpheus: "...  I can't make up my mind..."

Mysterious voice: "... If it help, I suggest you give up the memories of your friends, acquaintances, and enemies, while keeping the memories of your general knowledge and family..."

Orpheus: "... Sigh... Yes, that would be ideal..."

"Rumble... Rumble..."

The space was shaking and my vision was like switching between the white endless space and a stone medieval room.

Mysterious voice: "Just in time too. This is where we part ways Orpheus. I have imparted the common language, currency, and common sense into you... Oh! Just before you go, I have great news. I was able to save your ability to feel pleasure. Normally pain and pleasure go hand in hand but I was able to save it, Thank me next time you see me, farewell."

I wasn't able to say anything back as the landscape crumbles and I was losing consciousness.

Unknown Man: "---- -------- --- ------!"


 

1