Chapter 10: Retaliation
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Take him to the clinic," Sir Andres commanded the other maids and butlers as he took Sayozane into their enormous golden lit living room. "You all must be hungry madame, we'll prepare the food right away. Would you like anything else?"

"No thank you, Andres, I'd like to stay here for a while." With a blanket in hand, Sayozane comfortably wrapped it around herself as she sat down on their expensive designer couch. "Are my parents home yet?"

"I'm afraid not m' lady. Mr. and Mrs. Konasumi informed me of another business meeting in Hong Kong. They've left you a message in regards to this matter." Sir Andres had given Sayozane a letter sealed with a stamp which contained a Korean Hangul, the symbol of the Konasumi family. The look of disappointment on her face made Sir Andres frown for he did not want to see his favorite member of the Konasumi family be so down.

"Thank you, Andres. For everything." Placing the handwritten letter on the golden glass table, Sayozane covered herself even more with her blanket as she laid her head on Kenriki's shoulder.

"I must leave for the moment, madame." With the wave of a hand, Sir Andres commanded the remaining butlers and maids to their assigned tasks for the night.

The others made themselves at home, but Keiko stood in awe of the magnificent place she was in. An enormous golden-painted room, on its walls, hung beautiful vintage paintings of past members of the family as well as a gigantic one that stood on top of the fireplace, that had knick-knacks and other ornaments, which resembled Sayozane and her parents. The acacia floor a few feet away from the gigantic staircase at the center of the room was clothed in a fluffy, furry, white carpet. All of it was inside a beautiful hidden mansion on another island near Rajahnate, the perfect place to stay away from the troubles at Arid City. The room screamed "rich" to everyone in the living room.

But her moments of gazing were interrupted when she suddenly remembered her sibling. "Oy Sayozane, is my brother going to be okay?" Keiko asked as she fixed her hair.

"Oh yes, please don't worry about him, we have a small clinic here at the Konasumi family resort," Sayozane replied. Smiling at the girl awkwardly.

"This is a resort?!" Keiko was surprised to hear it. Even more amazed of the place she was in.

"Yes, this is both a resort and one of our homes. The Konasumi family are businessmen. They have estates all over the world and are well-known for their established brand: 생한찰 (Saenghanchal)." Sayozane chuckled as she removed the blanket and straightened her back in a very elegant manner as her fingers ran through her silky, smooth, sparkling hair. Taking up a small plate with a cup full of tea.

"Saenghanchal... I've heard that before. It's the name of one of the charity programs that helped my hometown." Keiko explained.

"Where is your hometown?" Sayozane asked. Leaning towards her, interested in what she had to say.

"Sibuco in Zamboanga Del Norte."

Sayozane's eyes widened. "Oh, if that's the case then I should send another charity program." She said as she sipped her tea and placed it on the golden table.

Keiko sat in silence. She stared deeply on the floor and was still as a statue as if she remembered something life-changing.

"Is something wrong Keiko?" Sayozane asked in concern. "Are you okay?" She asked as she came closer and held her hand.

"You're... the one who sent the charity?" Keiko asked. Looking her straight in the eye.

"Well," Sayozane stood up to receive the glass of water given to her by a maid. "Yes. I did send it. I had a lot of fun helping the people there. Especially in Sibuco." 

"Did you find anything peculiar there?" Kenriki asked as he went to receive a metal tray full of food from a butler. "Maybe anything interesting you can share with us? You never told us about your trips to Sibuco."

"Eh? Well, I think there was only one. Though it wasn't peculiar, more like something, I won't forget. A woman who was gravely ill in a broken-down apartment. She was in the last stages of Dengue and she needed a blood transfusion to survive." Placing the glass of water beside the letter on the table, she let out a loud sigh and continued to tell her story. "No one had the compatible blood type for the procedure and her family members weren't around. We tried searching her family but they were nowhere to be found, the only thing we could find was her birth certificate on one of their drawers."

"So what did you do?" Haruto asked. Chowing down on the food so fast that another butler had to deliver another tray. "Thank you!" He said as he chowed down on the food again.

Sayozane turned to Keiko and sat on the edge of the couch. "I donated the blood," She said with a big smile. Surprising everyone in the room.

"You're the one who donated the blood..?" Keiko asked.

Sayozane chuckled for a moment before giving out a loud sigh. "Yes... I couldn't stand watching her suffer back then... it wasn't easy but I did it. I did it because I didn't want her to leave her family. To leave her children." Clasping her hands together, she held them onto her chest and breathed. "But if I had to do it again... I'd still do it. No matter how many times I have to. I don't want to see people suffer, so I'll make sure that I'll save them. That is a promise I made." 

At that moment, something sparked within Keiko. Something that she'd want to protect for the rest of her life. Haruto and Kenriki smiled back at her, like an audience who was praising their princess. Despite being overly-sensitive, her humbleness and kindness were what made her both a good person and a great friend, one that both of them would treasure for the rest of their lives. She was the kindest person in their group and she would never back down from helping someone.

"You have a heart of gold, Sayozane," Kenriki complimented her as he stood up, walked towards her, and let out a big grin. "But you're still a crybaby!" Kenriki mocked her as he patted her head.

"Ehhhh?" Sayozane stood in confusion as she cried in front of them, making Haruto and Kenriki laugh as Keiko sat comfortably as she finally relaxed.

Laughter and chatter filled the room after they finished their meals. For once, everybody was able to have fun again, even Sir Andres became happy as he spotted Sayozane bonding and playing with her friends. After some time of enjoying the luxury they had right now, one of the maids interrupted their activities to inform them of their prepared baths.

"Excuse me, madame, the bathrooms have been prepared for you and your friends." Sayozane stood up as she was led by the maid to the staircase.

"Um!" Keiko stood up hastily as Sayozane went up with her companion. "Sayozane... th-thank you. For everything, you've done. I owe you for this!" Keiko said awkwardly.

Sayozane chuckled in response. "Oh it was nothing Keiko, if you have anything else in need please don't hesitate to tell me." Haruto and Kenriki noticed the cherry blush on her cheeks as she and Keiko stared at each other's eyes, hurrying back to take her bath, and nearly tripping on the steps back. "I-I, well-Good night everyone!" 

Both boys gave out a small chuckle as they turned their attention to Keiko. Kenriki had talked to Haruto about wanting to ask something and they decided he would be the one to initiate the conversation.

"Oy Keiko," Kenriki said as he turned towards her. "Can we ask you something?" 

"Sure, what's on your mind?" Keiko replied. Sipping on the expensive teacup.

"There's something we wanted to know ever since we met you." 

"Oh? And what is that may I ask?" She replied

"Well, it's about your powers. Where did you get them?" He asked genuinely.

Keiko went rigid. Both of the boys were startled. She looked down on the floor before placing down her teacup and walking away from the room.

"W-wait Keiko!" Haruto said. Stopping her in her tracks. "Did we do something wrong?" He asked.

Keiko stood near the entrance in silence. She shivered a little and lied near the wall. She jolted, wrapping herself with her arms as both boys approached her.

"If it's something you don't wanna talk about, we understand," Haruto said. Patting her shoulder as she let out a faint cry. "Please, let's just sit down again.

Keiko wiped her tears before turning towards both and sat on the couch once more. She stared at the floor for a while before opening her mouth.

"Hey Kenriki, Haruto, if I told you my story. Would you still want to be friends with me?" She asked. Not making eye contact with either of the two as she waited for their response.

Kenriki and Haruto looked at each other and nodded.

"Of course." They both said.

The room went silent for a while before a small chuckle came from Keiko. She stood up and leaned again on the wall. This time she turned towards them and began to speak.

————————————————————————

7 years ago.

"Joshua, please stop this!" Their mother cried as she held Keiko close to her. Her skin had suffered several cuts and bruises and her nose was fractured from a powerful punch.

"Papa, please stop!" Gokuro cried as his father pulled his hair and threw him across the room. He tried to crawl away but was pinned down by the man.

His father leaned over him. His shivering shadow overwhelmed Gokuro, with one bottle of alcohol in hand, he strangles his son. "You stupid son of a bitch, you couldn't even smuggle the drugs properly, we could've gotten a huge payment if you didn't fuck it up!" Gokuro's drunk father snatched a small wooden plank and approached the bruised boy. "Looks like I'm gonna have to punish you again." Without hesitation, the man began repeatedly bashing the boy. Gokuro's cries grew louder with each hit on his body, begging for the man to stop as he curled his body and covered his head in fear as his body became more blue and numb. But all the boy could see was his father's silhouette and his wide-open, glaring, red eyes. They stared deeply into his soul, their fiery rage became clearer as the man continued to punish his son with no empathy. Their mother had tried to stop the man but was quickly overwhelmed as he pushed her back, continuing to beat up the boy as Keiko watched in horror of what was unfolding.

A few days after the beating, Keiko spotted Gokuro sitting on a fence as he watched the sun rising from the rice fields.

"Gokuro?" Keiko asked as he approached his little brother slowly. "What are you doing?"

Keiko felt guilty as no words but the silence was his response. The cold morning breeze made the grass dance as she came closer to her sitting brother.

"Hey, Keiko..." Gokuro said as Keiko stopped in her tracks. "Am I a bad person?"

"What? No of course not!" Keiko replied ecstatically.

"Then why does papa hate me?"

"Because... because..." After trying her best to find an answer, Keiko couldn't do it. "I don't know..."

"Hmph." Gokuro chuckle. "Oy Keiko, can I tell you something? Promise me you won't tell papa." 

"What is it, Gokuro?" Keiko asked.

"One day, when we finally have money, I'm gonna get us out of this country so we can live together."

"Eh, but, what about mother?" 

But yet again, only silence filled the gap between them. Keiko feared that Gokuro thought their mother merely watched the constant abuses that happened to them. 

"Pretty soon... Mother is going to leave us. Forever. And when we're finally able to protect ourselves, I'll make sure that I'll never leave your side." Turning towards his teary sister, Keiko witnessed something she thought she would never see in a long time. His brother's smile, bright as the sun, filled with teary eyes and, an innocent look. "I promise that we'll be together until we die. So please, promise me that you'll never leave me too!"

Gokuro felt relieved as her sister's arms gave him a slight push as they wrapped around him. Hugging him tightly as tears fell off his bruised face. 

"I promise Gokuro, we'll be together forever. No matter where we go." Keiko said as her tears fell on the grass under the morning sky.

————————————————————————

"We continued to experience mistreatment from our father after that day, that was until we met this strange man." 

Keiko could feel both her listeners' eyes staring at her as they continued to listen to her story, but it wasn't just them, she could feel another pair looking at her but she couldn't figure out where. Still, she continued her story and kept guard for whoever was watching.

"We met him while we were trying to smuggle drugs at the market, he approached us, as if he was suspicious of what we were doing."

————————————————————————

"Oy Keiko, we should hurry before papa gets angry at us again," Gokuro said as they continued to walk past the markets and the crowds in their little hoods. 

"Keiko! Look!" Gokuro pointed.

"Where Gokuro?" Keiko asked as she continued to walk without looking, bumping against a tall man.

Keiko stood in awe as his shadow overlooked both of them, his silhouette showed him wearing a cap and glasses as he bent down on the two.

"I see you've dropped something." The man said as he went to pick up one of the drug packets.

"Hmm, aren't you a little too young to be smuggling drugs?" The man asked as he slid them into his pocket.

"S-sir, we're very sorry! Please don't arrest us!" Keiko cried as the man tried to touch her head.

But Gokuro was able to pickpocket the packet back and the duo ran through the crowds once more.

"Keiko, where is he? Did we lose him?" Gokuro asked as they continued running towards the slums.

"I don't know Gokuro, but let's just get out of here quick!" 

Finally arriving at the urban residential area, the duo stopped to catch their breath for a moment. Immediately, Keiko took Gokuro's hand and hid behind one of the houses.

"What is it, Keiko?" Gokuro asked.

"Shh! He's over there." Keiko whispered as she pointed at the man who was looking for them. "Let's sneak past him."

Walking quietly on the muddy ground, the duo were able to use different houses and objects to hide behind and arrive at their client's residence. Giving each other a high-five for evading the man and delivering the packets safely. 

Keiko approached the dirty wooden door and knocked on it. "Tao po, we're here," Keiko said.

"What is it?" A man in a hoarse voice said after he coughed.

Keiko took another step, placing her mouth and hand into a small opening, and whispered. "We have stacks." The door opened and a tall, shirtless, skinny man with tattoos and a cap that he wore backward, appeared to invite them inside.

Inside the house, several men and women were having fun by drinking, drugs, smoking, and having sex. The place was dirty, damp, and dimly lit, but the children had become used to it already. Gokuro hid behind Keiko as another man approached them. His poorly shaven goatee and red eyes indicated he was already on drugs. Smoke came out of his mouth and his big belly was exposed, a gun was hanging next to his pocket. They were in dangerous territory, if they made a mistake or provoked them, they'd have to pay dearly for it.

Walking towards the two, the drug addict bent over to talk to his two couriers.

"Did you bring the coke?" The man said as he opened his palm in front of them.

Keiko handed out the small packets one-by-one, filling the man's entire hand with small particles that looked like sugar. 

He counted them, making sure they didn't lose any, but to his surprise, they lacked one other pack.

"Say missy, I ordered 18 packs, why do I only have 17?" 

"Eh? W-wait... Gokuro, you have it right?" Sayozane said frantically.

"Y-yes, I have it here po..." Gokuro took out the small packet from his pants.

"Well, come over here and give it to me." The man demanded. 

Shivering in place, Gokuro stood still as fear took over his body, making him sweat and nervous. Keiko saw this and comforted his brother.

"Just give it to him so we can leave Goku, I won't let him hurt you," Sayozane said as he smiled at him.

Gokuro took a small step, slowly increasing while his handheld out the small packet. Keiko could see the fear in his eyes, the mere presence of the man was more than enough to make her shiver under her hood as well. Finally getting close enough, the man swiped the packet out of his hands.

"You did good kid, tonight, we're gonna party non-stop, and no one's gonna stop us!" The man said excitedly. 

"S-sir..." Keiko said as the man looked behind them. "We still need our payment." 

"Oh, that's right. Here 'ye now. Don't spend it too much kid." The man said as he flicked Keiko's chin after he gave them the money.

"S-sir! W-wait." Sayozane said abruptly. "This isn't the full amount that was discussed, we still need ₱1000."

Scoffing and sitting back at his chair, the others laugh at the kids as the man gave off a rude gesture with his hand to the children.

"Listen here you little shits, I've been working with you brats for a long time now, and I expect nothing but quality service from you. But knowing that you're still afraid to even when I just want my drugs? Hell, I trust you even less now, with a little wimp like that in the business, we could easily get caught by the authorities and they'll ruin our fun! Now that's a bummer ain't it?" Lighting up his cigar with his women nearby, he blew a cloud of smoke to Keiko's face. "I ain't got time for this, now scram!"

Gokuro shivered, even more, his tears falling off his face as he held on to her sister's back. "Keiko, let's go now. It's okay if we don't have the exact amount, we still got the money right? Let's just go home."

"But Gokuro, he'll beat you up again. Just let me talk to—"

"NO!" Gokuro's scream silenced the entire room. Everyone's eyes turning towards him. "Keiko, I don't care if I get beat up again. I'd rather have that than lose you, okay? So please, let's go home." 

Keiko couldn't believe it, for a second time, he saw his brother's bright smile again, she was tempted to just run off back home so they wouldn't get hurt. She wanted him to be happy, to be okay, and to be together. But she knew that behind that smile, was a broken down boy who only faked it for her sister's well-being. A boy that was abused ever since the early days of his birth, it was even a miracle that he managed to survive at this point. 

She took a step forward, moving closer to the man. She knew of the risks, of the consequences she might face, but she wanted to do it, not for herself, not for her father, but him. She couldn't stand the thought of having to see his brother suffer once again, and now, she was not going to let it happen. 

"Sir, please, I need the money so I can give it back to my father. We need it to pay for our daily needs. Please, try to understand our situation." Finally, with a strong sense of determination, Keiko held out her hand and demanded the money. "We promise we'll do better next time, just give us our money." 

Keiko could feel the many eyes staring at her, but the one that made her mos uneasy was the pair right in front. The man stood, bending down over the girl with a devilish grin, his wide-open eyes spooked both of them as he opened his mouth.

"Go home or else." The man said.

"No," Keiko replied.

Keiko could see the man burrow his head, his face directly on the floor. But soon after, she could hear chuckles coming from him. It grew louder and louder until the whole room began to laugh as well. Suddenly, the man grabbed her by the hair and flung her to the ground face front.

"Keiko! Stop it, you old man!" Gokuro said as he tried to grab his sister, only to be held captive by the other drug users. 

Keiko couldn't stand up, her body was in pain. She couldn't see her brother, but she could hear the clanking of a belt's metal. She feared the worse. Hands began to touch her behind and pull off her underwear. She screamed, begging the man to stop.

"It's cherry-popping time little girl." The man laughed hysterically as he directed his organ towards her. She screamed.

Gokuro stood in shock, her sister was lying down on the ground as men held him, he could see her teary eyes, they were begging for help. He could feel something deep inside him, something that was rising. It told him to fight back, to fight the man, to save his sister. His eyes glowed green, and a mark appeared on his shoulder.

"Let me get a taste of those luscious lips!" The man said as he bent even closer towards Keiko.

But his actions came to a halt as he heard his men getting beaten up. He turned around, greeted by a strong punch that took out multiple teeth, and rendered him unconscious. 

Keiko continued to lie down in fear, her hands covering her face as she shivered. But when she opened her eyes, she saw something that amazed her. His brother began beating the other men, his fists glowed green and his eyes gave off a fiery rage. His fighting spirit had been awakened. One of the girls had gotten a gun and pointed at her brother, he was about to get shot but she wasn't going to let happen. Suddenly, she felt something grow inside her too, her eyes had given off a lavender-like glow, and her hands gave off a white aura. She ran towards the girl, slashing her throat as she was about to pull the trigger. The others became afraid as the children started beating them one-by-one.

But over time, more members came and the gang proved to be too overwhelming for the children, and they started to pin them down to the ground. One of the men Keiko had slashed earlier came forward with a gun pointed at their skulls.

"Any last words?" The man said.

"Fuck you!" Gokuro mocked as he gave off a rude gesture with his hand. 

"Hehe, well, see you in hell kid." The man said as he reloaded his gun.

The twins reached out to each other as they prepared for the final events of their lives. Finally happy that even if they leave this world, they made their promise to leave together. They smiled, tears falling off their little faces as they closed their eyes.

With the pull of a trigger, the man smiled at his action, but what happened next surprised him. The bullet didn't hit any of the children, instead it only the ground between the twins, surprising them as well. 

"Wow, shitty aim you got there. Are you fucking high?" Gokuro mocked his captor.

"What the... again!" Shot after shot, each bullet that was aimed towards them instead hit the ground, eventually hitting the two gang members that pinned the twins, killing them instantly. 

Out of nowhere, a dark figure suddenly jumped out and attacked the gunman. His attacks imitated that of dancing shadows, flying in and out of the fight as the gunman became more and more frantic of the events unfolding. Shooting at every direction the shadow was in, each time he thought he hit his target, their shadows would only remain and would dissipate. Finally, after using his last bullet, the mysterious figure appeared behind him and delivered the killing blow, ending the gang's reign.

The man came closer to them and knelt, giving them a helping hand.

"Are you guys alright?" The man in black glasses said as he helped the kids up. "You did pretty well holding on your own. You've unlocked something that makes you different, something that makes you unique.”

"What? Sir, who are you?" Keiko asked.

"Just the person who's not going to arrest you." The sunlight lit up the room and revealed the man's face. It was the same man that tried to help them back in the marketplace, he found them, and saved them at the same time. "You've both got good talents kid, I think you both will become great fighters one day."

"But sir we don't fight, we only did it because of the drug business."

The man thought for a while, trying to come up with something that could help the children.

"Say, how about you train for me instead? I guarantee you’ll like it!” Said the man with a simple smile.

"Sir we need money, not fighting lessons with an old man," Keiko replied.

"How does ₱150,000 sound to you? You don't have to deliver any drugs, just be my students. Sound good?"

They couldn't believe their ears, ₱150,000 just to train and not partake in this dangerous drug business. The money was big enough to last them a couple of months to pay for their daily needs, but Keiko knew it was too good to be true.

"What's the catch?" She asked.

"Heh, smart girl are you? Well, the catch is, you're gonna be using your powers to defend your homes. This town is under the threat of being ravaged by beasts, so we need people like you to defend this city, and its people. You will be the sole knights of Sibuco."

"Keiko?" Gokuro turned towards her and held her hand. "If it's to protect our family, let's do it. Together!" 

Keiko nodded in response. For the first time in her life, she felt like she had accomplished something amazing, and she was going to do it with her brother.

0