Level 33 Infamy
484 4 28
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Well, that's new." Rydr sat there nonplussed as he reread the sudden notice on his HUD.

Lynn nodded sagely, "The Aether Smith can speak to the energy within the metal, and-"

Rydr interrupted his speech, "Yeah, that sounds great, but the system just told me I couldn't accept the profession until I deal with my other notices." The Titan reached up habitually to scratch the back of his head.

"The Aether Smith can, what-you? What? Say that again." Lynn snapped out of his monologue, demanding that Rydr repeat himself.

Rydr chuckled awkwardly, "I have too many notices to accept, so I'm not allowed to accept the Aether Smith profession just yet." The giant amended his previous statement, omitting any mention of the game's system. 

Lynn's right ear began to twitch like mad as the elf balled his fists, "You have too many messages from the gods? Too many...how in the world did you?..."

Rydr watched with concern as the elf trailed off, muttering to himself. Before Lynn had the chance to ask any more questions, the shop's bell jingled.

The elven smith pointed commandingly at Rydr before he walked out of the back room.

Not going anywhere for a minute, so don't worry. Rydr chuckled at the elf's antics.

Once Lynn left the workroom, Rydr stared at the pending notices icon in the corner of his HUD. He should feel excited, but for some reason, the Titan couldn't shake a bad feeling.

Rydr decided to bite the bullet and opened the oldest of his notices.

*[Reinforcement] reached Journeyman Level 3*

*[Empower] reached Journeyman Level 2*

*[Consume] reached Journeyman Level 3*

The first three notices informed Rydr that each of his spells increased their mastery rank, although [Empower] lagged by one level. 

Rydr still wasn't certain how he felt about magic, but he accepted the increase in his abilities nonetheless. The Titan opened the next notice.

Rare Feat! Multi-Casting Prodigy

Congratulations! You are the third diver to conjure three spells simultaneously! Your flexible mind and force of will have allowed you to surpass First Circle Mages without schooling. Feat Rarity Decreased.

·       +5 Intelligence

·       +5 Wisdom

·       +5 Will

*Paragon Triggered*

A helpless sigh escaped Rydr as he accepted the magic feat. Although it was more magic stats, Rydr noticed a change in the feat's wording. 

I'm no longer in first place for magic, huh? No surprises there. I haven't exactly been applying myself. The Titan couldn't help but woulder who the first two divers to gain the Multi-Casting feat were.

Whoever they were, Rydr was certain he would hear about them someday. The most powerful can only keep themselves under wraps for so long.

The increase to Rydr's magic stats ballooned his mana pool to an outrageous five hundred and forty points. Any pleasure at the increase was mitigated by Rydr's slight consternation.

What am I supposed to do with all of it? I don't think even buffing the whole party would drain me now...

Rydr's trepidation increased as he opened the next notice.

*[Savagery] reached Beginner Level 5*

*[Berserker's Rage] reached Beginner Level 3*

When Rydr checked the new multipliers for his physical abilities, he was finally pleased with the rewards. 

The Titan's [Savagery] passive now increased his damage output by a constant thirteen percent. While the boost wasn't astounding, it was more than double the original five percent increase that it started with. Plus, it was always on, sans any resource consumption.

[Berserker's Rage] appeared to increase at a rate of two percent for every level. Instead of a flat twenty percent buff to Rydr's physical stats, the ability now increased them by twenty-four percent!

Sadly, no decrease in the stamina cost or cooldown...

Still, an appreciable increase in his combat prowess. Rydr proceeded to open his next notice, wondering when they would come to an end.

Rare Feat! Glutton For Punishment

Congratulations! The diver’s masochistic tendencies have paid off! In the face of overwhelming opposition, the diver has bulled ahead without regard for their body. What are challenges to a meathead?

·       +5 Strength

·       +10 Constitution

*Paragon Triggered*

Before Rydr finished reading the feat notice, he was already laughing. The giant hadn't spoken to Eve for a while, but he felt the feats were a little too snarky to be auto-generated. 

What Rydr was most excited about was the increase in his constitution score. During the Titan's previous battles, he realized his pure-strength build had an upper limit. 

However strong Rydr's avatar might be, it was still based on a real body. When he powered up to his full potential, the giant hurt himself with his own movements. At this point, any increase to Rydr's constitution was needed.

Thanks to the half-again bonus from [Paragon], the extra fifteen points in Constitution added to Rydr's existing forty-seven in the score placed his new health bar at 620 points! Nearly thirty-two percent added to the Titan's Constitution meant an equivalent growth in his latent strength buffs.

While the bonus to Rydr's strength score was small, it was still more than a full level-up sunk into the score thanks to [Paragon]. As the giant thought about the first notice he opened a moment ago, he realized just how strong [Paragon] would be.

The passive basically guaranteed Rydr would always receive bonuses roughly equal to a full step-up in rarity. Especially as the feats within Frontier Online began to get eaten up by the player-base, [Paragon] would become ever-more valuable. 

I was starting to get the feeling before, but now I'm certain. It's far more important to achieve feats than it is to race ahead in levels. 

Although the higher-level divers would benefit from the effects of level suppression, what would it matter if every ability was overkill to start with? The idea tantalized Rydr's imagination as he opened the next notice.

Elite Feat! The Truth of Mana

Congratulations! You are the first diver to glimpse the Truth of Mana. The laws of the world have partially revealed themselves to you.

·       +10 Wisdom

·       Glimpse into the Laws

*Paragon Triggered*

When Rydr read the feat notice, he recalled the unique experience he had down in the mines. As Rydr fell through the air, the runes and mana inside the shaft felt as if they entered his mind and expanded it of their own volition. 

To Rydr, it seemed that the mysterious Laws of Mana were related to the natural function of the world. Within Frontier Online, mana and the laws of physics and nature were combined intrinsically. 

While the feat gave no outward bonuses aside from the increase in Wisdom, Rydr kept puzzling at the mention of the laws. 

Rydr had some idea what it really meant, but he would need to experiment extensively to be sure. Despite his distaste for magic, the Titan felt himself grow excited as he thought about exploring a whole new set of rules.

It's like being one of the first pioneers of science. The idea tickled Rydr, one of the many young people who felt they were born too late even for space exploration. 

Finally, it was time for Rydr to open his last notification. Still thrilled from the previous two feats, Rydr opened the notice.

Legendary Feat! Portent of Doom

Congratulations! The diver’s reckless fighting and destruction within Grotto’s mines directly caused the release of the pent-up [Mana Wellspring]. Grotto, and its surroundings, have turned into a [Growth-Type] Dungeon.

·       +5 All Base Scores

·       +10 Free Points

·       Quest Stage Update! Save Grotto! Difficulty Increased to [Epic]

Rydr didn't even have time to read the first notice before a second one forced itself onto the giant's HUD.

Server Announcement!

Attention! The diver Rydr has achieved the first [Legendary Feat] in Frontier Online. The starter village of Grotto has become a [Growth-Type] Dungeon! Grotto’s beasts will continue to grow in strength rapidly until the source of the Dungeon is dealt with!

Legendary Feat! Portent of Doom

Congratulations! The diver’s reckless fighting and destruction within Grotto’s mines directly caused the release of the pent-up [Mana Wellspring]. Grotto, and its surroundings, have turned into a [Growth-Type] Dungeon.

·       +5 All Base Scores

·       +10 Free Points

·       Quest Stage Update! Save Grotto! Difficulty Increased to [Epic]

*Fame Increased by 80*

*Infamy Increased by 500*

Rydr sat in stupefied silence as he read through both notices. Numbly, the Titan began to panic, clutching his knees and tensing throughout his entire body.

Why did it have to be a Legendary feat? Why did it have to be announced to the entire server?

Rydr began taking deep breaths as he thought quickly. Even though his name was announced to the entire server, along with the feat, no one knew what he looked like.

The announcement neglected to mention any details about the Titan except for his name. Once Rydr thought about it that way, he started to calm down.

Until I introduce myself, other divers won't know who I am. Maybe I don't have to go into hiding after all.

As Rydr sat on his boulder of ore, several chimes sounded in his head. A message notification popped up in the corner of the giant's HUD, informing him that his friends had messaged him.

"Oh boy, here we go," Rydr opened the message menu with a thought.

[Syrna] (1)

[Urginok] (1)

[Little John] (1)

Rydr opened the first message instantly, wanting to find out where his friends were.

[Syrna: I'm glad to see that you're back online, Red. So, an Area Dungeon is what's happening? Interesting. I'm envious, I wish the Legendary Feat were a Teamwork Feat, but I guess the game knows that only you could destroy the tunnel system.

I'm over at Izor's tower, a little wrapped up with something. Would you mind coming over here?]

Rydr sent the blonde archer a quick message, letting her know that he was at the smith's shop and a little involved in something himself. 

Truthfully, Rydr didn't want to go out in public just yet. As far as Rydr knew, only six people in the game knew his name. Someone might have overheard the giant introducing himself to them, but he hoped not.

Plus, anything that keeps me away from Izor...

Rydr chuckled to himself before he opened the message from Urginok.

[Urginok: Welcome back, man! I hope whatever pulled you out of the game went well. 

Congratulations on the Legendary Feat! That's, what, eight levels' worth of stats?

Where are you at? Syrna is over at Izor's tower, learning something, but you and I can meet up.]

Short and sweet, Rydr didn't know if that was Urginok's way of growing more comfortable with him or simply how the tank was. 

Regardless, Rydr sent Urginok a message informing the tank that he was at the smith's shop near the town square. After a moment of consideration, Rydr also told him that his IRL problems went well.

I mean, not exactly, but I'm not disabled anymore, so I'm calling it a positive.

Finally, Rydr opened Little John's message, curious what the streamer had to say. Hopefully, no one decided to join Shining Star while I was offline. 

Although, now that Rydr thought about it, they had to have logged off at some point. Otherwise, they were some kind of gaming freak. 

Rydr shook his head to dispel the random thoughts and opened Little John's message.

[Little John: Rydr, please let me interview you on-stream! 

Sorry, that started a little harsh. 

Um, I'll pay you? Let me be completely honest. The streaming market is hard to get into, and even though I've had success so far, it's small-time compared to others. Let alone giants like Kayla Jones. 

I'm the only streamer left inside Grotto, and being able to get the scoop on a story like this is a once-in-a-lifetime chance. 

If you're scared of being I.D.'d don't worry. Just wear a disguise, and people will pay more attention to that. Image is important. 

If you agree, I want to sign a contract. I figure someone like you doesn't want to be tied down, so I'll try to develop something you'll like. 

Please think about it.]

The last message, from Little John, stumped Rydr completely. At first, the giant's reaction was to reject the other diver outright. Rydr was about to send a message doing just that when an idea struck him.

Quickly, Rydr went back and reread part of Little John's message. 

A disguise...People will already be looking out for "Rydr," so why not give them something to search for? With the proper facade, I can go unnoticed. 

Rydr paced inside the shop's workroom, puzzling out how he would take advantage of this rare opportunity- a chance to hoodwink the public eye entirely. 

After several minutes of intense planning, Rydr remembered why he was sorting through his notifications in the first place. 

The [Aether Smith] profession! 

After a brief pause, Rydr retrieved the glowing tome from his [Inventory]. 

The blue and red, leather-bound book somehow felt heavy in Rydr's hands, even with his enormous strength score. Truthfully, because of his own impatient's the giant had interrupted Lynn's impromptu explanation.

Without it, Rydr had no idea what the profession actually did, only that it was related to smithing. Plus, there were no guides to teach him what choices to make.

First and foremost, Rydr had to make decisions that felt right for him. At the least, to Rydr, it sounded as if the profession required mana in some capacity. With only three, technically four spells counting [Third Eye], Rydr had no other means to use his magic stats.

Maybe the [Aether Smith] is just what I need to abuse my mana pool. 710 mana points...what in the world am I supposed to do with that? 

The problem Rydr had from before, that buffing his entire party still wouldn't drain his mana pool, had only gotten worse. Frontier Online seemed determined to guilt the giant into using magic. 

The Titan managed to rekindle some of his previous excitement about exploring a new world of magic as he opened the ancient tome. As soon as the book rested comfortably open between Rydr's enormous palms, a translucent screen forced itself onto Rydr's HUD.

System Notice: Profession Change!

 

YES or NO

 

Lynn, the master smith, hiding within Grotto, has offered his Legacy, the [Aether Smith], to the diver! 

Just as Rydr hit YES to accept the profession change, the door to the workroom slammed open. 

Lynn strode angrily into the workshop and rounded on Rydr as the tome transformed into light, quickly absorbing into the Titan's body.

"You, you caused all of this!" Venom dripped from Lynn's words as the elf stalked toward Rydr. With every step, the weapons hanging from the walls rattled, lifting off their hooks as they tried to pull themselves towards the muscled elf.

 

AN:

Thank you for reading the latest chapter! If you see a typo anywhere, let me know, and I will fix it ASAP~

Rydr has been exposed! Kind of! Who knows how he'll deal with it?

[Frontier Online] Discord Server is online! https://discord.gg/5sqwPeJrYf

28