Chapter 30 – A Letter. An offer you cant refuse.
1.2k 20 53
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

7 am, in a certain high-end condo in the Bronx...

The ms-13 local boss woke up from the ringing alarm clock on his phone. He turned it off, and he and his wife, who also woke up, went to the bathroom groggily and took care of their morning hygiene. After that, they went and got dressed quickly. Today, they needed to start packing up the house. At night, his daughter and wife would travel together to LA to their new home, while he would stay and finish moving the furniture and objects with the hired movers. Once done, he would drive together with the movers to LA, while his wife and daughter would stay in a temporary hotel.

He told his wife, "Honey, please go wake up our daughter." And he then went to the living room to start packing.

After packing up for 5 minutes, he suddenly heard his wife running to him, holding a piece of paper. She had a very worried face, and tears threatened to leak out of her eyes. He suddenly had a bad premonition...

His wife said in a shaky voice, "Dear... Our daughter was not in her room. All I found was this letter on her desk..." She gave the letter to her husband.

The boss took the letter to his hands, and silently read it:

Spoiler

Dear Mama and Papa,

I remember how as a child, I looked at you as a hero and role model. How I loved my dear older brother O so much... I remember the days when we played together in the park, went to Disney-world for the first time for a vacation, how Papa first taught me to swim, how brother first introduced me to BJJ, how Mama taught me the fun of housework, and to do girly stuff like doing my hair, makeup, taking care of my skin, and selecting the right clothes.

I remember how I was so proud to show you my grades, and I tried my hardest to make you proud by being the top student every year. I was so good that I even got a scholarship to that private school. That day, you bought me an electric piano as a present, and I loved to play it so much... But the main reason I did, was because of my love for both of you...

When I reached high school, I continued being an honor student. But for some reason, even though I managed to get a few female friends, most guys and girls were afraid of me, and the few guys that actually tried to hit on me, the next day distanced themselves from me like I was the plague. I personally did not pay any attention to that, since I was too focused on my schedule. 

Whenever I wanted some allowance, I would try and be the best daughter I could be and do chores in the house, and you would always give me some allowance generously to buy whatever I wanted... I thought you were a well off merchant all this while, making money off of decent, honest, and law-abiding work, perhaps a few under the table deals, but still relatively legal. I was so blissfully ignorant, and a blinded fool... Until a few days ago, when Brother died.

That day, After the morning news broadcasted the death of my brother and sister-in-law, I started researching on the MS-13. I then realized, just how monstrous you were. To make a profit, you sell drugs to adults and children alike, ruining the lives of both them and their families. You kidnap women and children, who want to go to the park with their parents, go to Disney world, learn how to swim, Practice BJJ, play the piano, make friends... You sell arms to other gangsters, indirectly increasing the crime rate. You assault, batter, and rape for fun, like an animal. You rob, extort, and launder money, ruining the livelihood of others. And don't get me started on all the Rackets you run...

In other words, I was living my entire life in luxury, at the expense of other's lives and happiness. My fellow high-schoolers, besides the few brave ones, were afraid of me. The boys who tried to court me got beaten up by you or your men. No one mentioned anything, in fear of getting involved.

To be honest, I feel no hate towards my brother's killer or killers, for he or they prevented my brother from further hurting others and also giving me a well-needed wake-up call.

I cannot live under the same roof as you anymore. And that is why I am leaving. I am already 18 since a month ago, and by American law, I am a full adult, responsible for my own actions, and no police station would help you search for me.

If I ever meet you again, under the premise that you have searched for me, I will testify against you in court for all the crimes you did.

I hope, as your daughter, that one day you will learn how to repent for your heinous crimes.

Sincerely,

Isabella.

[collapse]

When the boss finished reading, he audibly sighed, and carefully folded the letter. He said sadly, "How I wish I could have turned a white page, my sweet daughter, to live life as a simple farmer, a builder, a desk worker, or even an officer or soldier. But life is not as easy as you might think... Once you join a gang such as the MS-13, it is extremely hard to leave it alive... I was born in LA and was raised as a simple gangster, and crime is the only thing I was taught to know... And if I tried to leave, I would have not found only my own body on the streets, but also all of our families... Even though I failed to distance your brother from this life, I still managed, against all odds, to raise an uncorrupted child like you. I even made sure that all the corrupt kids in your school would steer clear from you, just to ensure that. For me, this is perhaps a hidden blessing from God, showing some pity on us. I never thought that this would be how we will part ways, but I hope you will find your happiness, away from your helplessly corrupt papa..."

By the end of his monologue, he closed his eyes. 2 tears slipped from the corner of his eyes. His wife, who also shed some tears, held him tightly, both to comfort him and herself...

After 10 minutes, the boss opened his phone and transferred $100k to his daughter's account, he already had a trust fund prepared in advance, all of it was laundered 3 times over, and no policeman or bank would ever be able to distinguish it, so he just gave it to her without worries. At least with this, she will not need to take loans, or even lower herself to prostitution or anything else and will have enough buffer time to get a proper job and lodging. She might even go to a good college normally, like any ordinary girl, and get married to a decent and law-abiding man. With the BJJ she learned, she should also be able to defend herself against normal thugs, if the need ever arises.1 There is a tax-free gift of up to $15k a year, and up to almost $12m a life-time tax exclusion in gifts. Check the American law if you don't believe me.

Then the couple sighed and continued packing the house...

 

 

Back in the hotel at 8 am, Isabella, who wore casual clothes, exited the elevator. When she got out, she quickly scanned the surroundings, and found Eli, sitting with a tablet on a waiting chair, waving at her with a smile. She smiled back, albeit awkwardly, and strode to him. If yesterday she felt apprehensive of him, she now at least felt more at ease when associating with him. Like the difference between a total stranger and an acquaintance. What he did yesterday at least bought her respect. But she also felt guilty for what she did yesterday, taking someone else's hotel room just because she was afraid of him, made her feel guilty, and even more so because it was the only room available in the entire hotel. And all hotels in the area for that matter, and it forced Eli to sleep at a friend's place. One of the things she hated the most, was to be a burden for others, so she wanted to make it up to him. Since she lacked money or any material means to pay him back, the first thing she thought about was to at least treat him nicely.

When she arrived next to him, he greeted with a smile, "Good morning Isabella, did you sleep well?"

Isabella smiled and nodded, "Good morning Eli, and yes, the room was really comfortable. Thank you. Did you sleep well at your friend's house?"

"Your welcome, and yes, I slept very well, I just arrived a few minutes ago. Let me just return my tablet and winter coat to the room, and let us get some breakfast. Can I just have my key back, please?"

Isabella nodded and handed over the room key to Eli, who went up back to his room.

While she waited for him to return, the male receptionist from last night, who just finished his shift and was now in casual clothes, saw her. After hesitating for a bit, he approached her. When he arrived near her he said, "Hello miss, pardon me for my rudeness, but I have something important to say to you."

Isabella turned around and looked at the man in askance, "Yes, what is it?"

The man seemed to struggle a bit before he finally said, "Well, miss, did you know that Mr. White, the current guest of the room you slept in, was waiting here in the Corridor all night?"

Isabella was stunned, speechless, while the man continued, "I asked Mr. White last night, why he did not leave. He said, in his own words, 'I don't really have friends that I am close enough to sleep at their house right now. Also, everyone is sleeping at their family's place, or already asleep. I am not going to bother them.'. In other words, he knowingly gave you, a girl he barely just met, his room for free, and waited here, scrolling in his tablet in the corridor all night, on New Year's Eve no less, because of some unknown reason. I don't really understand the circumstances, but I felt like I should just let you know. Good day, and happy new year." The man then left, seeming to have less of a burden on his shoulders now.

Isabella stood there, stunned and speechless, her face pale as a sheet. She screamed internally, "What have I done?!". She felt like a selfish bitch, A hypocrite. Not only did Eli help her out in one of the darkest moments in her life, but also selflessly gave his room to her on New Year's eve, sleeping in the corridor like a dog, while she slept in his warm and comfy room. And he didn't even say anything about it, and just smiled at her normally. She was the one who was supposed to sleep in the corridor tonight, not him! A small debt that could be paid off with a few hundred dollars and a 'thank you' suddenly inflated to a big debt in an instant, one that couldn't be easily paid off with just money, it was an emotional debt. This was both the sweetest, but also the most guilt-inducing thing that anyone has ever done for her! She strongly believed that even her friends won't go to such a length for her, let alone a stranger!

She internally thought, "If he was just being nice to me, would a simple thank you be enough? If he was trying to court me, should I give him a chance? Well, he is both nice and handsome, he looks strong and reliable, and he seems well-off too... What the hell am I thinking?!"

She immediately shook her head, as a small blush tinged her previously pale cheeks. After she calmed down a bit, she thought, "I should probably assume that he only wanted to help me out of goodwill. Let's not assume anything else, and I will see how things play out. Maybe I am just overthinking things..."

As she thought this to herself, Eli exited the elevator and smiled at her, "Alright, let's get some food."

"Y-Yeah..."

They then both went to the cafeteria and got some breakfast. While Eli took a very large meal, enough for 3 grown men, consisting of many foods containing high amounts of energy, like meat, eggs, cheese, and fruit, Isabella got herself a measured and healthy meal, suited for an athlete, containing meat, oatmeal, string cheese, yogurt, eggs, seeds and raisins, salad and fruit.

While Eli was eating like a starved ghost, Isabella just stared at him in amazement, and thought, "How the hell does he fit all that?"

In truth, Eli had an increased capacity for food after evolving Vitality and had increased metabolism. Even while eating, some of the food already got digested and absorbed, freeing space for more food. Also, his body lacked energy. Even though he ate plenty last night, it was still not enough to cover the energy consumption from the evolution yesterday, so now, he was making up for it. Besides, the food here was great!

After eating about half the meal, Eli suddenly asked out of the blue, "Hey, Isabella, I didn't ask you yesterday, but are you a traveler or tourist?"

Isabella swallowed her food, before replying, a bit sadly, "No... I left home, permanently. In fact, I left secretly only last night..." She didn't know why, perhaps it was the guilt, or perhaps it was because she was emotionally vulnerable, but she felt more open to the man, so she answered honestly.

Eli nodded in understanding, the girl most likely had her own circumstances. He then asked, "So what are your plans now? You will need to find a more permanent lodging, such as a rented apartment. Also, do you even have a sim card now? Do you have enough money to get by for now? What about a job, did you search for one? Did you take care of the legal side of things? Did you even bring all of your identification documents?" Eli fired question after question. All of these questions were relevant for any person who just left home. Especially one that left home the way she did.

The young Isabella's head began swimming, sweat started forming on her forehead. Each question stabbed her in a vulnerable area. "He's right! I don't have a permanent lodging, no sim card, barely more than $1k, no job, I did not take care of social security... I only have my legal documents on me, luckily... Fuck, leaving home is harder than I thought... No wonder so many girls turn to prostitution! They don't have a choice!" Isabella, who thought herself to be smart, made a basic mistake. Usually, when a person plans to leave home, they would plan it for weeks, even months. By the time they left, they would already have some decent savings, a job, lodging, a new sim card, even sometimes higher education. The legal side would also be taken care of in advance. She, a girl who did not know the hardships of life, left home naively, without the guidance of her parents before that, unlike most young people.

Eli saw through her like an open book, "She is a classic case of a naïve runaway who did not think through her actions. Maybe I can use this, to keep her near me until the mana wave arrives a year from now..."

Eli thought for a bit before an idea popped up in his head, he said with a smile, "Hey Isabella, I have a job offer for you..."

Isabella, who heard him saying that, looked at him with a weary look, and hugged her chest, as a chill ran down her spine, "Is he offering to sell my body to him?!"

Eli, who saw her reaction, burst out into a giggling fit, "Pfft hahaha, no no no, not that kind of job! I want to offer you a job as a stay-in housekeeper for a year."

Isabella asked with a dumbfounded look, "A stay-in housekeeper?"

Eli nodded in affirmation, "Yes, a stay-in full-time housekeeper. Your job would be to cook me food, buy groceries, and clean my house, and I would give you $10k and a $2k allowance each month and you might even get some bonuses, depending on your performance. I would give you full insurance. Of course, I would provide you free lodging, food, free usage of all the facilities in my house, and even a car to use. You do have a driving license right?" Eli went all out and gave an offer she could not refuse! It might look suspicious, but the temptation should be more than enough to compensate. No undergrad would ever be offered such high pay. This was even more than his pay as a special forces soldier!

He thought to himself, "With this, I can keep her near me, and also get a cute housekeeper. Two birds with 1 stone."

Isabella was stunned, eyes twitching and her mouth gaping slightly. She thought to herself, "$10k and $2k allowance each month + bonuses as a stay-in full-time housekeeper? Free lodging and food? Free usage of all the facilities in the house? Even a car!? This is twice as much as the most expensive professional stay-ins I know! This is more than even the average top earners in America get! Just how rich is this guy?! And since all the expenses are covered, it is even more than that! I am just an 18-year-old girl who just finished high school, without any previous work experience, $3k is more than enough to hire me normally... Is this guy really trying to help me, or court me? Is he trying to turn me into a sugar girl or something? Because this is just way too damn convenient and tempting to turn down!"

She asked wearily, "What's the catch?"

Eli said lightly, "The catch is that the workplace would be in Texas for 2 months, and can possibly change to another state. Besides that, I just require a housekeeper, and I don't trust those agencies, so I thought, why not hire someone I handpicked with my own intuition."

Isabella thought to herself, "Texas? The workplace can change? That... Can actually be good for me. I am a Spanish speaker, and I am also running away from home, so a new start, and some traveling won't be so bad... I can still keep in contact with my friends over Instagram, so there is no problem there..."

Eli slightly pressed, "So, how about it?"

Isabella was stuck between a rock and a hard place, "This offer is too good to pass by. The pay is insanely high, the conditions excellent, and I lack money right now, badly. But what if he uses his position of power as my employer to pressure me into giving him 'favors'? Goddammit girl, think..." Just then, she suddenly remembered what Eli has done for her. From picking her up on a stormy day from the streets to giving up his room to her, sleeping in the corridor instead. She hesitated for a bit before a look of determination flashed on her face, "Fuck it, life is a risk. I will just do a leap of faith for once!"

Isabella said, "Ok, I will do it! I will take the job." She thought to herself, "This way, I will also have a chance to repay him for his kindness somehow. And I will make money while doing it, two birds with one stone!"

Eli also smiled, held out his hand, and said, "Wonderful, a pleasure to be working with you, Isabella!".

Isabella looked at the outstretched large and muscled hand, and reached out her own smaller and comparatively delicate hand, and shook it, a charming smile forming on her face, "A pleasure to be working with you, Eli!"

Do tell me honestly, if you think anything here was irrational, or out of place. I will try my best to fix it.

53