Ch07: Let’s play a game of chess, Cecilia
13 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The prince was long gone from my abode. I sent him away with the sad excuse of being too tired and wanting to be alone. Of course, because he was a caring person, he apologised once more for the disturbance he caused before shooting me one last concerned stare. And then off he went; back to where he was staying. A palace much livelier than mine. A palace much warmer than mine. 

Earlier, over tea, I showed him my dark side. The side of myself that I never wanted anybody to see. But I was angry and sad; and all of my emotions got the best of me. And the only person who was there at the wrong place, at the wrong time, was the prince himself. My fiance. The man I am supposed to marry. 

Perhaps it had been good to have shown him my ugly side. At least he’d have more time to think about whether he actually wants the marriage or not. It would save us both the time and pain if he made up his mind much quicker. I do not want to tie such a lovely and warm person to someone who was broken like me. Prince Dion deserved someone bright, like a ray of sunlight, to stand beside him. 

I sat on the edge of my bed, staring blankly at the flickering light of the candle on my desk. The silver moon peeked in through the spaces between my fine gossamer curtains. On nights like these, my mother would usually sit on the edge of my bed and tuck me in, a soft smile on her lips as she picked up a fairytale book. One that I always tell her not to read to me because I already know the contents. But she would only laugh at me and caress my cheek. And she’d read it anyway. 

As she reads through the first part, I would feel a soft hand grab mine. When I turn my head to look, I see Cedrin beside me, red eyes gleaming with joy as he looks up at me with a smile. Those were a few of the memories that I remember. Back when everything didn’t go wrong. It was back when all of us were happy. 

No father in the picture. No Ranlrein. No nothing. 

The soft buzzing noises of the insects outside my palace were muffled against my walls. I turned my head to the huge windows in my room and gazed upon the light ruffle of leaves on the peach tree. The gentle wind must’ve caressed it with its’ touch. There was an empty feeling in me. Perhaps I still couldn’t get over the wrongful death of my beloved mother. As I wallowed in my thoughts, my windows flung open. And a scream got caught in my throat. 

A man dressed in all black with a dark cloak over his head stepped into my bedroom with not so much as a sound. His footsteps were light and quiet as he slowly made his way to my bed where I was frozen stiff. 

“Your Highness, Princess Cecilia.” A cold voice, like icy streams in the winter. 

Was he an assassin Cedrin sent to me? Am I going to die right here? 

I couldn’t move. My body was frozen and all I could do was look at the man who was probably going to claim my life.

“Don’t you want revenge?” 

I blinked. “Pardon?” 

“For the death of your mother. Don’t you want revenge?” He asked once again. His voice was unfamiliar to me.

“Who are you?” My voice shook as I managed to inch away from him. 

The man reached for his cloak and his black mask. And when the hood fell off his head, it showed a crown of blonde hair, just like my mother’s. Just like mine. His eyes gleamed an electrifying deep-green as he stared at me. 

“I apologise for the disrespect, your majesty.” He lowered his head and kneeled down. Indirectly saying that I was safe and nowhere near danger. My heart that beat rapidly in my chest calmed down after seeing his gesture. I have never once been treated with such respect whilst I was living in the Imperial Palace. 

The maids all looked at me like I was a nuisance. They whispered amongst themselves and laughed at me behind my back. Not once did they ever treat me with the respect that I deserve as a legitimate princess born from the High King and the High Queen. Just because I was born first, they never took me seriously. Had I been born after Cedrin, then things would’ve been different. I wouldn’t have to be treated this way. 

“I am Assel Geuffroi, your uncle.” A sigh of relief escaped my lips as soon as I knew. “I apologize for not coming to see you sooner.” 

Assel Geuffroi was the current Duke of Geuffroi after the former duke, Renart Geuffroi, stepped down from his position as Duke. And this man, with blonde hair and deep-green eyes, was the beloved older brother of my mother. She often talked about him to Cedrin and I; telling tales of their childhood together and how happy they were. I remember the few words mother used to describe her older brother. 

“He’s a man with so much love to give.” 

It was such a peculiar thing to say about one’s own brother. But I guess that’s how mother viewed her older brother. After all, she was a noble lady who grew up in the most loving of households; the youngest daughter of the most powerful dukedom in the entire Ostulia Empire. 

Today is the first time I met my uncle. After all, father never really permitted me to go outside because of my birth. So nobody outside the palace knows that I am of first born. I doubt my uncle knows about my circumstances as well. 

“It must’ve been hard for you to hear such a news, uncle.” I spoke, voice trembling. Before the day my mother died, the High King, my father, sent Duke Geuffroi to the west border to take care of some trivial matter. I happened upon the news when I was on my way out of my father's cold and suffocating palace. And because of the work my father entrusted to Uncle Assel, he wasn’t able to hear the news of my mother’s death until he arrived in the capital. 

This was a situation that most likely happened. But why is he coming to me and not to Cedrin? 

“I admit that the news of Seraphina’s death shocked me,” he said. His face contorted into an expression full of hatred. “But you, on the other hand, saw the death of your own mother.” 

“Where did you—?” 

“It must’ve been harder for you. I know how much you cherished my sister.” 

I did not answer. “But she shouldn’t have died the way she did.” I looked up and saw my uncle’s bitter expression. 

“Jehanel this bastard…” his face went red as he uttered the name of my father. It was the first time I’ve seen someone so openly express their hatred toward the HIgh King. Usually they would just keep it inside and let it all out once they’re out of sight and out of reach. 

“Mother was not an adulterer,” I said. My voice was firm and resolute. I am sure my mother would never commit such a crime. Cedrin might’ve refused to believe me because of the evidence my father held against my mother. 

But who’s to say that father’s evidence was real and not fabricated? If it’s my father, then he’ll surely do something quite similar. If not, something even more dubious. He’s my father after all. The most heartless and cruel man in this entire empire. 

“I know.” My uncle nodded. “Seraphina loved that bastard too much for her to commit that unfaithful act.”

“Mother might’ve been suffering from a mental illness, but she would never dare to sleep with her personal knight. She’s not that kind of person!” 

Uncle Assel turned his attention to me, his brows knitted in anger. “What do you mean she suffered from an illness? How did I not hear about this?” His voice rose up, questioning my statement. Did uncle’s shadows not tell him about my mother’s circumstances? 

“Mother…” I paused, twiddling my thumbs. “She sometimes suffered from episodes where she becomes a completely different person.” 

“What do you mean?” 

“Normally mother wouldn’t give my father a second glance because she knew he would never love her. But when she had her episodes, it was as though nobody in this entire world mattered more than my father’s love.” 

Uncle Assel clicked his tongue and looked away. His eyes burned with anger as he stared at my door. Perhaps he was going to make a run for it and harm the High King? But I doubt he was someone immature like that. “She never mentioned to me about her health. So I naturally assumed she was healthy. And you’re telling me Seraphina is—” He closed his eyes and massaged his temples. 

“Was this the reason why Jehanel refused my requests to see my sister?” His voice was low and cold, like melted ice streams. 

I understood how he felt. His only sister, whom he had a hard time meeting, was murdered by the very person who vowed to protect her. However, my parents were tied to a political marriage. No matter how much my mother loved my father, nothing about that fact would change. 

I watched as Uncle Assel regained his composure. And the moment he looked like he was calm. He whipped his head around to see me. His face bore hatred as he looked at me with fire in his eyes.

“So Cecilia,” he said. His voice was firm and it was full of authority. “No, Princess…” 

I looked down at him from where he was kneeling and blinked. What was he going to say? 

“Would you like to play a game of chess?” 

“Excuse me?” 

“The High King is insane. The Crown Prince turned his back on the one who raised him. And there is only you,” he said. 

“What does all of this have to do with me?” I questioned, genuinely confused. 

“We want to put you on the throne. It’s about time that the Empire acknowledged you, your highness.” 

“You could’ve chosen my brother—” 

“It has to be you, Princess Cecilia.” He cut me off. 

I frowned. “Why must it have to be me, Uncle Assel?” 

“Because that is what my sister told me to do.” 

“What?” My eyes widened in shock. What did he mean by that? 

“The Duke of Geuffroi will offer our support to you and make you High Princess of Ostulia. And you shall be High Queen.” 

“This is all too sudden! What are you—” 

“Princess, I do not have much time. For now, please think about my offer to you. And when you’ve gotten your answer, you have to tell me the next time we meet.” 

“What—” 

I jolted up as my uncle disappeared right in front of my eyes. Was it magic? But how did he do such a spell without alerting the protection that was cast inside the palace? I ran towards my open window and looked out with wide eyes, trying to find even a silhouette of my uncle. But he was long gone. 

What did he mean by ‘next time’? Do we truly have a next time?

I continued to gaze upon the silvery shining rays that touched the flowers in the garden and I entered my thoughts. He wanted me to become High Queen? On top of that, the Duchy of Geuffroi will be giving me their utmost support? What was that all about? 

Becoming a candidate to inherit the throne isn’t as easy as it seems. You have to have a very huge following along the way. But in order to get support, you have first to show the people what you are really capable of. And why they must gamble and choose you to inherit the throne. The second option is riskier. 

Treason. 

2