Chapter 01 – Another Escape
354 4 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Helgar stared blankly out of the train’s window. Slouched with his back to freshly shined leather seats, he was able to spot a bit of his reflection on the glass of the window, it was largely obscured due to edges of the window being tinted. Tinted windows were a luxury of the wealthy. It had been a while since his crimson eyes stared back at him. His once short wavy hair was now long enough to fall into layers and tickle the back of his neck. With dark brown hair that fell into wavy strands that reached just above his eyes.

Raising his hand, he snatched one of the locks that covered his forehead rolling it between his fingers. The crimson eyes glared back at him, forcing him to look away and to pause for a few moments. Helgar always struggled with his feelings toward their devilish glow. He wasn’t sure if he hated them? or was he simply ashamed of them?

With a shake of his head he hoped to scatter the intrusive thoughts.

Right, no time to waste..” he thought to himself.

Before he had ended up on this rundown train, he had attempted to escape from pursuers known as the Promesus Saviors.. Promesus Saviors were people who vowed themselves to protect the Kingdom of Promesus. A vow was an exaggerated word though, at the end, they were only a military branch that were scattered about the three territories of the Kingdom.

Funny enough, it was the first time in his life, Helgar had jumped into a train. He couldn’t expect much else though, he had grown in Aerman territory; it was a nation of this region that struggled for food making a train ride was a lifestyle reserved for the wealthy, riding a train was something he could only read in books. On top of this particular train had only two stops in this massive region. Afterward, it should leave to a place where someone like Helgar was not welcomed. Having that linger in his mind,  the next stop was his only chance to hop out of this train.

The cabin door opened roughly, startling him. Two soldiers appeared holding muskets in their arms and directly aiming at him. That was the third trial of escaping for that day. Helgar immediately surrenders himself, understanding there was no way to run away.

"Raise your hands and turn around…Now!!" One of the soldiers shouted aggressively at him.

Jumping from his place, Helgar descended backward in a defensive manner. One of the two masked men yelled again.  "Do not move… I said RAISE YOUR HANDS AND TURN AROUND…NOW".

Without saying a word, Helgar breath became louder, raising both hands up in the air and turning around. He felt the tip of the weapon touching his back as the soldier prompted in a weary, frustrated voice, "Now kneel down and keep your hands raised…".

Helgar closed his eyes, feeling his aching body and his exhausted soul.  He gave up kneeling down on one leg.  Just as he was about to give up, he heared a familiar voice

"AGHHHHHHHHH"

The scream was followed by multiple gunshots at the two soldiers throwing them cold dead bodies.

“Helgar…now let’s go let’s go let’s go…" A young man with silver blond hair and average height appeared. His hair was short with fringes long enough to pass his eyebrows. His eyes were marvelous green, which reflected the hope and happiness of his character. 

"Rio what the hell are you doing here?" Helgar questioned with a hesitant voice, before raising himself up, being caught full of surprise.

"No time to answer…we should run…they are not the only ones…" Rio sighed realizing that Helgar was still standing at his place, so he quickly got closer, and grasped his wrist pulling him …"Now… we should run or we will be killed"

Helgar nodded and ran after Rio, following him into the vestibule. Rio looked back at Helgar to notice that weary look on his face. He smiled and gave him an assuring nod. Without hesitation, Helgar returned the nod back and followed Rio’s steps, taking a quick glimpse into the other cabins and realizing that they were surprisingly all empty.

 They both stopped at the end of the wagon corridor by the connecting gateway door. It was an old train, this door would lead them to outer space in that case. Rio tried to open the door adding extra force but that did not help. 

"Let me try" Helgar asked placing his hand on Rios's shoulder and gently pulling him aside. With great force, he placed his hand on the metal handle and pulled it back. It was locked, and he could not do much about it. However, he would not give up, he simply kept trying to pull it hopelessly.

"That won't work" Rio placed his hand on the door handle trying to help as well.

"Watch this" Drawing a devilish smile, Helgar eyes flared red and with diminished effort, the lock shattered and the pieces flew everywhere. Leading the door to get open.

Rio looked completely stunned at Helgar "You..." He gapped speechless

The noise from the rails outside became louder almost deafening. Rio returned the rifle to his back. He then placed his hand on the edge of the opened door and looked at Helgar “We need to jump out of the train, it’s not safe here"

Without much doubt, Helgar nodded in agreement.

Rio placed one foot into the clapper that held the trailer to the next one and pushed himself away from the train jumping to the green field, to end rolling on the ground.

A flashback from the past stroke Helgar, he could see both of them holding hands when they were small kids “In goodness and in bad…we will always be friends".

Shaking the memory away, Helgar pushed himself away from the train, which led him to fall roughly down on the grass and to cause several scratches on his forearms. With a great force, he dug his fingers in the ground to break the slide. As soon as he halted successfully, he  jumped standing without caring much about his injuries, instead, he started to search with lost eyes for his pal “Rio…are you okay? Rio…" he shouted

Rio laughed aloud and waved from the ground “Helgar …I am here… we did it again. We are both alive…"

Helgar paused to have an incredulous stare at his friend who was laying on the ground, then he ran to him “Are you okay? Did you get hurt?" He said in a weary voice as he kneeled down to him and placed his hand on Rio’s shoulder.

“I am fine. Do not worry about me, we need to get you into a safe place…they are still trying to find you" Rio said to him, still laying down and staring at the only face he always felt safe with.

 

4