Ch. 16 – Idolized
204 10 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When they arrived at the front gate of the city during the evening, they were stopped. 

The guard that stopped them was wearing full plate armor he was, like most people, a lot shorter than both Yuri and Kaizer, so he looked kind of silly.

He asked, "Welcome to Karmel. Please state your business."

Yuri responded, "We're adventurers." presenting her plate.

The guard almost choked on the air he was breathing when he saw the plate made of orichalcum.

He immediately stepped to the side and gestured for them both to go through.

They entered, and what they were presented with was a bustling street, with food stands and open shops, people haggling and kids playing. Walking through it Yuri stopped at a stand that was selling fruits. She threw the vendor a coin and asked him where the adventurers guild was. She was provided with some directions, so she and Kaizer went on their way.

They came by a fountain and Kaizer, overcome by curiosity looked down into the water. He flinched when he saw and touched his face. Yuri appeared behind him in the reflection and he stated, "I look like you."

"If you say so. There was just nothing to base the disguise on, so you ended up looking similar to me." 

"I don't dislike it." Kaizer asked, "What do we do now?" 

"I was planning to take a request at the guild."

"Alright, let's do that." 

"You have your plate, right?" 

"Yeah?" 

"Wear it around your neck openly." Yuri told him, while hanging hers around her own neck. 

Kaizer did the same with his platinum plate.

They went towards the adventurer guild, many shocked looks landing on Yuri. 

Finally, a young girl had the courage to separate from her mother and tug on Yuri's robe. Yuri turned around and kneeled down to the girl. 

The girl asked, "Miss, are you the 'Red Storm' Sophia?" 

"Yup!" The image of the tall, foreign, woman kneeling to match the height of an 8 year old was silly, but everyone held their breaths. "Uhm.. You're really cool! I wanna be like you when I grow up!"

"That's great to hear! Tell you what, I'll send you a letter sometime."

Yuri stood up and left the eager girl and her mortified mother behind.

___

Yuri and Kaizer arrived at the adventurers guild, immediately looking at the request board. On it weren't only completely normal fetching, scouting or monster extermination missions but also a wanted alive poster.

Kaizer stared at it, only to be shaken out of his trance by Yuri. She had already picked a request. They walked over to the front counter, and Yuri presented the paper. The receptionist had already gotten wind of the other adventurers reaction and wasn't too impacted by Yuri's plate. 

She handed out a copy and had Yuri sign a waiver due to the difficulty of the quest.

The two left the guild within minutes.

They arrived at an Inn, and rented a room for the night.

Yuri was laying on her bed, reading a book when Kaizer who had been staring at the ceiling for a solid 15 minutes, asked her out of the blue, "What was that song you sang?"

"I thought you were sleeping."

"It was beautiful, but sounded sad as you sang it."

"It's something my mother used to sing to me when I was little. Don't worry about it."

"If you say so."

"You seemed to be out of it, when you saw that poster of you."

"Yeah. I feel crazy, like the world is against me. I don't even know what they're pinning on me when I've been gone for 3 months."

"It'll be fine. I've learnt that if you worry about something more than you should, it seems worse than it is."

"I guess I worry too much about the country being controlled by a crazy woman."

"That's the truth. I didn't want to te-" Yuri stopped, "Never mind."

She put her book down and said, "Good night." before she laid down.

"To you, too."

6