Chapter 139 – Fairly Rescue
8.5k 30 208
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Harja! It's good to see you're alright!"

I forced a smile as I approached the chieftain.

"Hey! Looks like you've been having trouble huh?"

But somehow, Geirskogul ruined my attempt at pleasantries immediately. The scowl which the dragonkin leader gave the both of us told me more than enough.

"You..."

"But you know, it's a bit frustrating that now I owe you two, though."

Frankly speaking, I didn't want to damage our relations in the slightest. Harja hadn't liked me from the beginning, and while that wasn't something I could do anything about, lowering her hostility towards me as a whole was something I would like, and have already made efforts towards.

But it was clear my efforts were only providing limited results, and she was far from getting over her initial dislike of me.

Having Geirskogul set me back due to his thoughtlessness wasn't really something I could afford.

Frankly speaking, he was quite a lot like some of the fairies despite how badly the imps got along with them.

"O...owe?"

"That's right. You came and saved us back when the intruders first showed up, then again you held back most of the group leaving us free to go directly for our objective."

I gently stroked the body of the canister in my arms as if it was an infant.

Killing that assassin was really just a bonus.

"Though, I'm sorry that due to us, you lost your prey."

I did my best to make my apology seem as heart felt as possible. While I couldn't condone murder, it was clear that to her it was a hunt, and we were the cause for the remaining members of the group to retreat.

That wasn't to say that Harja and her subordinates were guaranteed to actually succeed in their hunt, but the fact that my actions did inadvertently forcibly end it was a fact.

Acknowledging that much shouldn't cause trouble for me. Or rather, it was possible that it would placate the dragonkin leader.

"If there's anything I could do in return, don't hesitate to ask."

"Hmph."

It didn't seem like my words had much of an effect on the woman towering over me. She barely even gave me a glance.

"Maybe I could make a large amount of some sort of dish you liked? Or some drink?"

She did like some of the things I made before. At least it seemed like it, but as she never really vocalized any opinions, or even asked me to make any more of anything, it was hard to say that she actually liked it, or simply consumed them for appearance's sake.

But her subordinates did properly enjoy many of the things, so it couldn't be some sort of racial difference.

And to my pleasant surprise, the fingers on her crossed arms did twitch a bit when I mentioned a drink. Maybe this line of thought wasn't wrong at all.

"I mean, I would really like to pay off my debts to you, but there's so little I have which such a strong chieftain could want. I mean, the chieftain of the dragonkin? Seriously, you have power, you have lots of strong people under you, and since I've already opened up the dungeon to everyone, you even have the means to get some of the best food ingredients. The only thing I have that could be of value to someone who has almost everything is my recipes."

If I wasn't imagining it, I was sure that Harja was standing a bit more straight than just moments before.

It didn't really feel good to kiss her ass like this, but if a bit of pampering her pride meant that our relationship would tip away from hostile, it would be worth it.

"But if there's a chance that there's anything amongst my recipes that you want, maybe I can pay my debt through it?"

It was a bit shrewd, using the recipes that I had stolen from Earth to improve our relationship. But at the same time, I might as well use the one advantage I held over her that I hadn't already promised away.

"Fire water."

"Huh?"

Her voice was low, so I wasn't quite sure I caught what came from it.

"That fire water. I want that."

Turning to face me directly, she looked down at me imposingly while declaring what it was she wanted.

"Ah, you mean vodka? Sure. I'll prepare a few barrels of it as soon as possible."

The little twitch at the corner of her lip when I mentioned barrels gave me confidence that I had won my bet.

"But that alone is a bit short, since I owe you twice. How about I teach one of your guys how to make it as well?"

"Hmph. You planning on winning my favour by wagging your tail like some hatchling?"

"Eh, well, I mean, rather than that, I just want to pay my entire debt as soon as possible you know? It doesn't feel good to owe someone when I have the ability to pay it off, you know?"

Whether I was successful at covering myself up or not, I couldn't read it from her expression. At the very least, she didn't seem to press any harder in regards to the matter.

"Well, fine then."

And with those words, Harja presented her hand to me.

I stared at the hand for a moment before looking up at its owner's face. The dragonkin chieftain didn't have any particular sort of expression on at first, but as I stared it warped into a scowl.

"What? You can't shake my hand?"

"Ah, no! I mean yes!"

I quickly grabbed her hand and shook it, making sure my grip was strong, like I put all my sincerity into it. I remembered reading that limp wrested handshakes was actually a form of insult and firm handshakes was a sign of respect and trust.

After we let go, Harja gave me one last look before turning to her subordinates.

Past her, I saw Magni as he looked on.

The young dragonkin looked away when he noticed my glance, and after a moment of gaze wandering awkwardness, he turned to me and waved his hand. I waved back and gave him a casual smile before turning away.

While I was worried when Harja and her people found out about Magni, especially after I saw how desperate he tried to avoid them. But lately it seemed like things were a bit better. If they weren't he wouldn't have been chosen to come with Harja in her hunt after all.

"Hey, sorry about your sword Sarah."

I returned the mithril sword I borrowed from our resident FPS player. Even if she didn't really use it, I still felt bad about the abuse I put it through.

The once shiny pearl white sword was quite dinged up with chips in its blade. It wasn't so bad that it couldn't be fixed up, but it would take quite a bit of work. If she wasn't too attached to it, it might actually be easier to scrap it and forge a new one.

"Naw, it's fine. I barely used it anyways."

The moment she received the weapon, Sarah chucked the thing into her bag, barely giving it a glance.

"By the way, that last shot was quite impressive. What was it anyways? An adamantium bullet?"

"That's right! It was a copper jacketed adamantium core bullet! Oh man, I had to beg so hard to get that scrap adamantium and have it shaped just right! Did you know that even in this country, there's barely any of the stuff? I wanted some tungsten, but nobody's even heard of it. But when I heard about adamantium, I got so excited! But apparently only the most important smiths have any, and they used almost all of it up to make their tools! In the end, there wasn't enough to make any parts for my gun. Only that one bullet. Oh, I gotta go and find it. Maybe I can fix it up and reuse it."

"Wait!"

"What? You don't need anything from me anymore right? If I don't look for it now, there's no way I'll find a single used bullet later on!"

"No, what I mean is, I want to give you something for helping me so much today. If you want adamantium, then I can just give you a few ingots of it!"

"Really! You're the best bud ever!"

Sarah leapt onto me, pushing my face into her boobs. They weren't as big as my own, but they were big enough to stop me from being able to breath. And after a few moments, once it was clear that the woman wasn't about to let me go to refill my lungs, I quickly stopped returning her hug and started to tap her shoulder to be let go.

"Oh, sorry."

"No problem."

If something like some adamantium made her that happy, then I wasn't going to get angry about it.

"I'll get you the adamantium later. Maybe you'll like some orichalcum to go with it?"

"What's that?"

Considering where she came from, I wasn't too surprised by that response.

"It's a metal that's really good at being a magical conductor. Maybe it could help improve your rifle in some way? Like in your expansion chamber?"

"Hmmm. It's worth a shot I guess. I'll take some."

"Alright. You'll have to wait a bit on the adamantium, though I do have orichalcum and mithril for now. I'll give those after we've cleaned up."

"No problem."

"Geirskogul, you too. Thanks for the help. Same with you three as well."

Next, I turned to the four imps who followed me here.

"Ah, it's all good! We had a bunch of fun!"

"""Yea!!!"""

It was a bit cute how Geirskogul's subordinates cheered they way they did.

"Even still, I owe you guys as well."

"Nah! We had fun! That's all that matters!"

"""Yea! Fun!"""

"Well, how about this? I make you dinner? You can have lots of candies and treats."

"Candies!"

"Treats!"

"Sweets?"

"No, well, I mean...but..."

Unusually, the imp chieftain hesitated at the thought of being rewarded with treats. Normally he'd be at the front of the line to fill up on sweets.

"I know you think you don't need to be compensated because you had fun, but enjoying what you did has no thing to do with the fact that you helped me out. You both came to my rescue and came with me to get Orphne's soul. You deserve it. And I want to reward you for it. Is that wrong?"

"Ah, umm, no. I guess it's not. Yea. It's not! Alright! Candies!"

"I'll make sure to prepare a whole bunch for tomorrow then."

"Yea!"

"""Yea!"""

With the imps all excited, I finally turned to the last member of our little expedition.

"Claret, you had enough?"

"Huh? Oh yes, Master!"

I've been doing my best to ignore the bloody pile of dented metal despite the fact that I was salivating the entire time so much from the smell that I was worried I'd start dirtying my robes.

That familiar of mine hopped over, the sound of metal screeching as she pulled her feet from the mess.

"Geez, you got yourself so dirty. Here."

I conjured up some warm water and rubbed it along her body wherever I found blood and gore sticking to her. Frankly, I was amazed she took things this far. And that expression full of happiness and joy told me just how much stress she'd managed to pound out of her.

"Thank you Master!"

"Yea yea. Well, it's the usual anyways."

While she rarely got herself dirty like this, having to clean up and take care of her like she was a child wasn't anything new. If anything, it's completely endearing.

"Now, what to do with this trash..."

I glanced over at the mostly unrecognizable pile of meat, blood, and bent metal while I casually stroked Claret's hair.

"Well, whatever."

Rather than really think about it, I just set the entire thing to fire. The blue-white flames quickly incinerated all traces of that assassin's body, his armour even warping and partially melting from my casual incineration.

In the end, all that was left was a black circle of earth with a bunch of glowing pieces of deformed metal no longer in a state that could identify what they originally were.

"Sarah, do you want these pieces?"

"Sure. You're not going to use them, right?"

"No way in hell."

I didn't want some sort of reminder regarding today's events. The thought of how much I needed to worry about future attacks was more than enough.

With my prompt, the rifle woman gathered a bunch of snow and tossed it onto the red hot pile a bit at a time. The ice let off sounds of popping and hissing, and occasionally the glowing metal burst from the excessively fast cooling, sending minor shrapnel around.

But nobody in the area was low enough levels to really be harmed by it. It was only a bit annoying. Especially since all the abuse we've put into it seemed to have caused all the mana stored in them to dissipate.

While I waited for Sarah to finish up and put the slag away, I focuses my aura and generated a special mana treat for Claret along with a huge number of mini mana treats, all the while taking in more and more blood from my rapidly emptying blood jar to keep my MP pool topped off.

"Here you go."

I gave Claret her usual treat, though a lot earlier than usual. She was going to get another tonight at the usual time, but she deserved her own reward for now.

"Thank you Master!"

With those words barely out of her mouth, that orifice of hers was immediately occupied with the mana treat as she was quickly lost to the world, her expression filled with bliss.

"You guys too! Thanks for all the help!"

Turning up, I threw the mini mana treats a handful at a time as the cloud of little fluffballs dove down now that it was clear they didn't need to keep obeying the orders I gave them through Claret.

But instead of catching the mana treats, the swarm came down to rub their bodies against my own.

"Wah!"

It was something I should've known they'd do. After all, they were watching what was going on this entire time.

"Sorry for making you guys worry."

Dropping the mana treats, I extended my arms to pat as many of the little fluffballs as I could as they circled around my body.

Sometimes I forgot that they weren't just all happy-go-lucky creatures, but instead they felt the full range of emotions. Of course they'd worry if someone they liked was in trouble. Doubly so if they couldn't do anything about it.

It looked like I'd have to spend some time playing with these guys. They deserved better than just some mana treats.

Claret wouldn't mind if I gave them most of my attention for the next while.

Right?

 

We went back afterwards, once I managed to convince the fluffballs that I would play with them again later. They seemed to be pretty reluctant, but withdrew after a while.

It would probably be best if I spent as much time as I could playing with them later. Things like this would get harder once Alicia was born anyways.

I went around and thanked Frigg and her people and gave them a report about what happened before heading off to where Aurae, and hopefully Orphne's body, was.

And after a bit of asking around, I arrived at the fairy elders' home. That huge crystal structure, the only fairy home with an entrance large enough that I could pass through without having to ball up my body.

"Aurae, are you here?"

After knocking, I entered the large elders' home.

Reaching the large central room, I saw Aurae with Orphne's limp body. There were a bunch of other fairies forming a circle, including many of the other fairy elders.

"Elder Scarlet. Do you have some business with me?"

"Ah! Elder Aurae! I, er, we got Orphne's soul back, but..."

"Her soul?!"

Shocked, the fairies actively looked on at the metallic cylinder I presented.

"Certainly, the aura emanating from it looks like Orphne's, but how are you certain it's her soul? The soul goes to the heavens once it leaves the body. Nothing can stop that."

"Ah, normally, that's true, but there are ways to circumvent that."

"And you're saying that this is one such item? How would you even know that?"

"..."

Thinking about it, it certainly wasn't the first thing one would think when they encountered something like this. Aurae's question was quite normal.

"It's because, it's not the first time I've seen something like this."

"You've seen it before?"

"Not this exact same thing, but something similar."

Frankly, it was the same basic principal under which my [Soul Siphon] skill worked under. But letting others know that I had such a skill was dangerous. Even if Aurae was the only other person in this room.

"Hmm..."

The elder narrowed her eyes as she stared at me. But after an excruciating amount of time, she let me go.

"So, you're saying that you can save Orphne then?"

"That's right!"

More than anything, that was the most important thing right then!

Looking closely, the little fairy's aura had entirely receded inside of her body. Even from a distance it was obvious to me how pale her complexion had gotten, and how shallow her breathing was.

A quick [Scan] showed me that her MP was also getting dangerously low. She wouldn't last more than a handful of hours at best. It was certainly the right decision to have gone after those intruders immediately.

"Even though I said that it was unnecessary?"

"Huh?"

Those weren't the words I was expecting from her.

"We fairies of the Hourai Commonwealth owed you, Elder Scarlet, a great deal. And with Orphne's sacrifice, we managed to pay most of it off. Are you refusing that payment by returning her sacrifice?"

"Ah? That's...!"

(That's an absurd line of logic!)

That was what I wanted to say. But from the perspective of a race what cherished the thought of debts and paying them back, maybe it was true that the thought of undoing a debt payment was akin to blasphemy to them.

But I couldn't just NOT save Orphne's life. Not after getting so close.

Then it hit me. A way to make everyone happy.

Hopefully me included.

Giving the elder a toothy grin, I gave her my answer.

"Of course I'm not refusing her payment. The payment of the fairies here. But the payment was Orphne's life, wasn't it?"

"That's right. She gave her life for the sake of us fairies."

Being forced to say it out loud, Aurae grit her teeth while answering. It was clear she didn't like it at all. But refusing this line was like betraying their collective beliefs. I understood that.

But understanding was different from accepting.

"But doesn't that mean that her life belongs to me now?"

"It does. Does that mean you are claiming her body?"

"It comes as part of the life, doesn't it?"

"Alright. If you want it, we can't refuse. Orphne's body is yours."

Aurae clenched her tiny fists so hard that they grew white. Looking around, the other fairies had similar expressions going on.

Even though I was playing everything by their rules, it didn't mean that they would like it.

Just because I was maintaining the sanctity of their beliefs didn't mean that I wasn't simultaneously desecrating a part of it as well. At least, if I was going to do what they thought I was going to do.

I received Orphne's limp body onto the palm of my hand.

Touching her cheek with a finger, it felt so incredibly cold. Like it wasn't a part of a living body anymore.

Everything about this tore my chest apart, but soon, things would be better.

"Aurae, can you have the others clear out the room?"

"Fine. You guys!"

It was a little slow, but eventually the other fairies floated their way out of the room.

Once I was sure that the room was vacant aside from Aurae, Orphne, and myself, I levitated up both Orphne's body and the cylinder containing her soul in front of me.

One more quick examination confirmed that I really didn't have a lot of time to waste. Maybe a few hours at most, but I didn't want to risk letting Orphne's MP falling more than it had to. There could be complications if it was allowed to fall too far even if it didn't zero out.

But as to how to save her, I did have an idea. It was just that it wasn't one I would like to do without extensive preparations. Not like I had a choice in the matter.

I opened up my menu and switched over to the master skill list. There, I duplicated my old [Soul Siphon] skill, the skill I had originally made from [Blood Sucking] to withdrawal Alicia's soul from her body.

I then flipped around the functions in it and adjusted the inputs and outputs of each so that they would actually function properly. I spent a few minutes to double check my work. Once I was as satisfied as I could be without spending days examining every line in detail, I renamed the new skill to [Soul Injection] and swapped it with some random racial skill I couldn't even use.

Then came the most stressful part: actually performing the procedure.

My gaze went back and forth between the cold fairy body in one hand and the cold metal canister in the other.

My mind was filled with thoughts of things which I might have missed or what could go wrong during the process, or the consequences of failure. My chest tightened as my thoughts went through that downward spiral, until I caught myself hyperventilating.

Taking a deep breath, I forcefully let it out as slow as I could, before snapping my eyes open.

There wasn't much time left, and I could miss my only opportunity if I kept checking the code.

With the sound of screeching metal, I bit into the cylinder and activated [Soul Siphon].

My senses were willed with the taste of a fruity candy. Maybe strawberry flavoured.

Soon, all traces of Orphne's soul was gone from the container, wherein I quickly bit into the abdomen of her body. Careful not to do more damage than I had to such a tiny body, I activated my new skill [Soul Injection].

The feeling of life slowly filled the limp fairy body, rapidly raising my spirits.

On the other hand, my body was feeling more and more terrible as the skill progressed. Specifically, everything from my fangs to somewhere inside my chest. It was like I was suffering from the pain of regurgitation, yet rather than a burning sensation from stomach acid, if I could describe it, it was the stinging of something being forced through my nose or something combined with unceasing chills that ran through my upper body.

Regardless of the specifics, it just felt unnatural, and most likely because it was. My body wasn't made to handle such an act, and I could feel parts of it fight the process. The blood tubes that passed through the roof of my mouth shuddered as it tried to constrict against the flow. My nose twitched as it tried to make me sneeze so I would let go and stop injecting the soul.

But I fought it. I fought every instinct which screamed at the unnaturalness of what I was doing.

And eventually, as I continued to use [Scan] on Orphne's body checking the progress, I managed to confirm that her entire soul was successfully returned to her body. The container file for her core was properly filled, and I saw movement which suggested that her soul was functional.

And just as I relaxed my jaw, I heard the voice I was growing most desperate to hear.

"Scarlet? Am I tasty?"

Hi everybody! It's your usual furball! (/◕ヮ◕)/

A Scarlet chapter on time! Yay! (^.^)/~~~

Sorry for all the problems the last three weeks or so. As I mentioned last time, I think I figured out what the problem was in regards to writing the previous chapters, and maybe some of you figured it out.

I think, fundamentally, I just didn't like the events which transpired over the last few chapters. Due to that, I often ended up only writing a few hundred words in the span of any one writing session. Going an hour or two with so little to show for it was quite the demotivator.

As for why I did it anyways, it was stubbornness. These scenes were planned out from quite an early phase, and I refused to cut them out. The unfortunate problem is that if I was going to do that, I needed to do it much earlier and rework what I had.

There were a lot of other problems, but fundamentally I think the biggest issue overall was incompatibility. Despite the fact that this story needed encounters like this for the sake of plot (probably a lot less on the difficulty Scarlet goes through, but some sort of encounter with these assassins), these scenes don't fit the overall feel of the story.

They don't feel like parts of Scarlet's story, and just stuff that happens to her due to circumstance, I suppose? (ーー゛)

There are a few scenes in the future I need to rethink, but at the same time, realizing this was quite the eye opener.

And thanks to that, I've been thinking of releasing side stories for Scarlet's tale. These are things which have no bearing on the plot, but just some little mini-arcs that she and the characters around her go through.

I think I'll release them here and there, along with a bunch more after the main story is done despite most of them taking place during Scarlet's tale.

I would like to hear everyone's opinion on this idea if possible. d(^_^)b

Also, I'm sorry for being inactive in the comments lately. The circumstances made it difficult to justify spending time there while the chapters were being delayed so much. m(_ _)m

I hope to make it up to everyone and catch up on that front along with consistently releasing chapters from here on.

I hope that everyone is continuing to do well.

Bye-bee! (≧∇≦)/

208