chapter 3: Flashback: Krell
1.5k 10 40
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Hello Mr. Lawrence, it's about your last pulmonary checkup, we would like to make an appointment to come and discuss the results at the hospital"

"Fine then how about Saturday since I’ve work to do tomorrow"

"Saturday.... We have room at 4pm and 6pm."

"Then 4pm please."

"So Saturday at 4pm ?"

"yes please"

"Okay it's arranged."

"Thanks goodbye then."

I hang up. Fuck what the hell's happening my asthma shouldn't be a problem here so why do they need me to go, and since I’m freaking short on money I can’t really pay any treatment. I hope that I won't need to rely on father for that.

It's been two days since that call and here i am waiting for the doctor.

"Hello Mr. Lawrence."

"Ah Dr Marcel, nice to meet you"

"I'll get straight to the point you have a lung cancer and a pretty advanced one at that, i suppose that it's become difficult to breathe lately?"

"Eh? Ah no, not at all, i mean i’m a character designer so i don't exercise that much and it fit with my asthma too so."

"You're saying me that you're a shut in, who don't do anything like exercise, sleep way less than needed and eat delivered pizzas most of the time, and you still have a body this fit ?"

"Now that you say it it's embarrassing... A-anyway let's get back to my business here. How grave is it and how much treatment would it need?"

"Well, a full recovery is a dream, but we should be able to cure it."

"For how much."

"Hum that's..."

"Okay so how much time do i have if i don't undergo any treatment."

"Two to five months."

When i finally got out of the hospital i broke the news to sis’, well she seemed worried but i reassured her saying that i’ll deal with father and that with his resources my cancer is obviously not a problem.

I hope that she won't go to father for my sake. Now that i say it sound like a flag and a big one at that. Let's call her one more time.

"Hey sis'!"

"Why are you calling back so soon something happened!? A complication?! Where are you i'm on my way !!"

"Please calm down, i just got father and we stroke a deal, he'll take care of my medical fees and i'll go back to being his heir, so you shouldn't worry. I'll just wait till he dies and then i'll be free."

"Are you sure about that?"

"Yeah, you shouldn't worry y'know. I'll hang up now see ya."

"See ya."

I hope that she won't worry with that. Now let's call father.

"Yes."

"Hello father."

"What's your business with me."

"Not even a hello?"

"...."

"Okay i get it, i need your help father. I just got diagnosed with a lung cancer and it's curable but that needs a money that i don't have"

"and what do i get"

"an heir"

"I agree that your younger brother isn't nearly as good as you but he's way more docile than you. So he'll do finely as my heir. If you don't have anything else to offer then please hang up"

I hanged up. I JUST CAN'T BELIEVE THIS MAN!! Fuck i can't believe he's my father. I really hope that Eddy like this line of work or else i'll feel really bad for fleeing back then. Let's give him a call.

 

"Eddy?"

"You should call me Edward since we don't have any ties anymore"

"Guess that i worried for nothing then. Goodbye"

*click*

Seems that he's a fine copy of father. I suppose that since mother isn't here anymore, he didn't learn what personal desires and freedom means... Fuck now i really feel like an ass for leaving him alone in this family.

.............

So this is the hospital room where i'll die. Let's honor my last contracts then. I settled as many things as i could in the two month that passed. That included giving the apartment to sis and letting my friends and the dev team of my circumstances. I even prepared them a substitute in order to finish the game without a hitch.

I took some contracts that pay well to do in my hospital room. I'll need at least that to pay for the fees till my death. What a shitty country. How i wish i was French, my health wouldn't be a problem then. How lucky they are.

I settled myself in the room and started drawing to avoid seeing that room anymore.

*knock knock*

"Yes."

As the door opened i saw sis enter with... Father? Haaaa she did exactly what i hoped she didn't.

"Father can you leave for a moment in need some private talk with sis'."

The door opened briefly and closed instantly after.

"So you went to father for my sake huh?"

"... yes..."

"Didn't you know it's the thing i would hate the most. How can i live knowing you went back to this family."

"I’m sorry but i couldn't watch you die while doing nothing. Even more when i had this solution."

"So you traded your happiness and mine for my life"

"I.... Yes."

"Call father please"

A moment later father entered the room

"Who will it be?"

"The heir of xxconglomerate."

Isn't he the one reputed for being a dumb assohle, and a womanizer at that?

"Shouldn't oomotors be more interesting."

Their heir is a much finer man

"They are smaller."

"But they have an interesting trade route with china, south AND NORTH Korea. And if you manage to get into the Council you should be able to guide them finely."

"I’ll consider it, your insight is as good as always."

He didn't even bother with manners and got out of the room while calling for my sister. I did what i could sis' i really hope that the one you'll get will try to understand you.

Should i search for heiresses of big companies which are gays? if the profit is enough dad should overlook the 'improper' wedding.

Haaaaa such a pain. Let's get back to work.

......... 

It took me a week to find all the heir heiresses that should meet dad's standard. I sent a list to sis with a message explaining what to do. I hope she worked it out somehow.

*knock knock*

"yes?"

“Humm...he-hello Mr. Lawrence."

Said a fidgeting nurse, she looked really anxious and lost at what to do.

"Hello miss what is it that needs me ?"

"The-the d-doctor in charge o-o-of your treatment want to s-see you... Please."

Am i that scary? Or is it father's doing. Oh well let's calm her first.

"You should calm down first miss. Would you like to have a few drinks with me? I only have water though"

Judging by her chuckling the joke was enough

"let's get going then miss"

As she guided me to the doctor's office. I learned...nothing at all. She said that she isn't qualified to explain me why she was so nervous. Dang now she got me worried. 

"Hello, Dr Marcel, what is it that require my presence." 

Wow he's literally sweating bullets. 

"We were wrong with your first diagnosis" 

Hey, don't become a puddle on me okay. 

"Which means" 

"we don't have any means to cure you" 

Ahhh so that's why, i guess that since father is paying, he really tried his best. And that's also why he's so worried huh? 

"Guess that sis did all that for nothing." 

"huh?" 

"Ah nothing, i'll deal with father by myself you shouldn't worry i won't end your career." 

Wow did he just faint... From relief? Oh well let's call sis. 

"the number that you called isn't attributed" 

Father did his work well it seems. Well let's call him then. 

"Hello father" 

"what is it that you want this time" 

"you really don't know how to greet peoples huh? It's not like it matters anymore at least to me. They can't cure me in the end." 

"Who's the doctor i'll find a better one." 

"Don't act like you care, you're only repaying sis. Let me talk to her." 

"No, i won't let you give her more of those strange ideas. I hope you're happy she will be married soon too zzmultinationals's heiress" 

Wow he really sounds pissed. But he let profit guide him once more, that's just who he is. But still, that was a quick work sis’ i sent you the list like two hours ago.

"Good, then send them all the money that's left for my treatment please." 

"Is that all." 

"Nope, lastly: father you are really the worst of the assholes of this world. I hope that at least you're happy with your money." 

I hanged up without waiting for an answer.

"Hey doc can you please arrange a painless death to me for this night?" 

"Ye-yes... WAIT WHAT ?!?" 

"You heard me full well, goodbye doc." 

I left without waiting for a reply, i went back to my room and send all my unfinished works to the contractors with my apologies and a note explaining my situation. And then i went to sleep knowing full well that i wouldn't wake up anymore. 

40