chapter 6: Flashback: Lana (2)
1.2k 16 37
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I heard the tune of intercom effectively chasing away my nostalgic thoughts.

As i opened the door i saw a dazzling blonde woman: she's just like i saw on internet. The same big round blue eyes, luscious pink lips and flowing gold hairs. Honestly, she's beautiful but not my type, she looks like a shoujo protagonist and that don’t fit my tastes.

"Welcome Rose"

"H-hey Lana" she said while staring intensely at my legs. I guess that i look like a real mess now with big bro's t-shirt. then i realized that i wear nothing else and that she's gay.

"Sorry i'll get changed real quick. Come in and make yourself at home, since it will be soon enough"

"O-okay"

I quickly put some underwear and hotpants, that should do the trick.

As i returned to the living room i saw her looking at big bro's pile of archives. He kept one physical copy of every work that he produced.

"Ah Lana, you're an artist?"

"No those are brother's."

"He has real talent." She said positively impressed at all those works.

"In truth this was brother's apartment that he gifted to me."

"It must be really important then. can i ask why he gifted it to you?”

"I don't want to force you or anything okay." She quickly added seeing my face.

"That's why i asked you to come in the first place so don't worry." I said as i sat by her side on the sofa.

“I'm here with you so don't worry" she said while patting my shoulders

"Thanks. here i go: big bro has been diagnosed a lung cancer a bit more than two month ago. but since we both ran away from home, he didn't have enough money to pay for the treatment. so, he turned back to father and tried to strike a deal with him."

"A deal??"

"Ah i forgot you don't know how father is, let's just say that he won't do anything that isn't beneficial to him. My brother was his heir, i was a political chip and our younger brother was a spare heir."

"Wait he didn't love you or anything?"

"Nope, if not for mother we would never have learned what freedom mean, well she died soon after Edward, our younger brother was born."

"Sorry about that."

"thanks. anyway, back to big bro, he failed to deal with father. father didn't need him since Edward was enough for him. he didn't tell me hoping that i wouldn't do anything rash for him. so, when i asked father and discovered the truth i offered to go back to him and in exchange he needed to provide the funds for big bro's treatment."

"So that’s why we got engaged"

"yep, but not exactly, father wanted to marry me to xxconglomerate son. As an emergency measure brother convinced him on oomotors instead and soon after he sent me a list of heiresses of big companies and groups that were supposed to be gay. And i chose you since you seemed the nicest of all. So i went and proposed this to father, and while he didn't approve of the gay wedding it meant more profit so he agreed."

"That's......"

"Yeah. that was yeasterday, and soon after i overheard a phone call between dad and someone which i suspect is brother and apparently there is something wrong since dad suggested another doctor...." my voice broke at this point. And tears started flowing. 

She silently hugged me. 

"Can you tell me more about him?" 

She silently waited till my tears stopped while still hugging me. I don't know how long we stayed like this. Then i finally managed to calm down. 

"He was extremely smart, there were lot of times when dad asked for his insight on investment matters. He was kind too, i never saw him refusing to help someone in need, he always lent a hand. On another point he always saw immediately the potential value of people and used most of them as tools. Even if he cared about them that was like an artisan took care of his tools. Respectfully, nearly lovingly, but in the end, they were here to be used. I think dad influenced him a lot about that. he was aware of it and tried really hard to fix this but i think that I’m the only one he truly saw as something else.... I don't know what though."

"That's odd.... I can't really wrap my head around that..." 

"I guess so. But most of all he was obsessed by freedom, unlike me.... All he cared for was to do whatever he wished for. That's why he ran away from father. But he always took great care of me, he was always there for me. Soothing me when i got dumped, paying my college fees, helping me find a work and an apartment. "

" You must love him very much then, i'm a bit jealous" she said jokingly. 

And with those words everything clicked in my head and heart. 

 

I love him ! 

 

"Thanks’ for making me realize that i love him, even if i'm not sexually attracted to him, i love him!" I said with an exalted tone.

"That came a bit out of nowhere y’know….so i lost to a guy, your brother even. Muuuu."

"Hah don't make that face, we're still engaged and i can't really go back on my word not that i want to. I mean i consider you a friend. And you even helped me realize my feelings. So i'll still be nice to you." I said while a vixen smile.

And we continued to chat and joke till evening until father called. 

"Father? It's strange for you to call first what happened?"

"Your brother died, he gifted you and your fiancée the leftover money for the treatment." 

"wha.....'' 

The phone dropped on the floor the glass shattering as i dropped onto my knees. 

My mind broke down. I cried for him, for him leaving me, for me loving him, for not confessing, for not knowing, for not saving him.

I cried. 

And cried. 

And cried some more. 

It was way past midnight, judging by the faint light from the horizon, when my mind finally went back on track. I felt empty, like nothing else mattered, I knew it wasn’t true but I felt like everything should go down in flame for all I cared. Rose was sleeping on my shoulder, still hugging me. "Thanks." I muttered while resting her against the sofa. I knew that I should be grateful here but strangely I only felt empty.

I opened the window and gazed into the starry, sky. "I hope you're fine wherever you are brother" i silently prayed. I heard a faint noise coming from below, and after a quick look it was three mafia looking men who were breaking through our door. I quickly noticed the police and didn't thought more of it. 

I carried Rose who was still asleep and set her on the bed and quickly went in with her. As i glanced around the room filled with memories from brother: his collection of katanas, all reals. His posters that he made himself. His wall of books. 

When a noise coming from the door interrupted my nostalgic contemplation. The three they're here for us! Fuck they want ransoms for me and Rose; she was nice for me so I shouldn’t let that happen.

Anyway, i'm not going down without a fight! I always wanted to place that line, now that I said it, it doesn’t really matter if I go down or not. I grabbed a short katana from bro's wall. I peeked in the main room and i was right here they are. 

I kicked open the door and slashed at the nearest one's back. Severing his spine and spilling his insides as he fell back. I sidestepped and freed my blade from his corpse. Preparing myself to face the other two. 

I rushed to the closest one and cleaved open his head with an overhead swing and as I turned to face the last one i heard a loud detonation noise. Ignoring it i thrust the blade through his stomach and slashed to the side spilling his intestines on the floor. The whole fighting didn't even last 10 seconds, i'm glad that i was good a gym. 

As soon as i turned around i noticed Rose standing in the doorway to the bedroom with a horrified look on her face. “Don’t worry we're safe now." 

She didn't answer focused on the right part of my chest. I followed her stare and found a large red stain. As if it has waited for me to notice the wound the pain came in a flash, and the metallic taste of blood invaded my mouth. 

PAIN. 

"Can you bring me *cough* my phone please" 

I said as i seated in the bloodstained sofa. She came rushing seconds after with it. 

I quickly sent a message to father

PAIN. 

{Can you transfer all of my belongings to Rose Heartfield please.} 

{Consider it done.} 

Instant answer as always, i sometimes doubt that he isn't some kind of geek glued to his phone. 

PAIN. 

{Thanks father, and please can you trust her on everything she'll say to you tomorrow.} 

PAIN. 

{Ok.} 

Soon after the police that i called earlier arrived. When they reached the apartment i couldn't understand what they were saying anymore. PAIN. My brain turned into a mushy swamp as it became harder and harder to breathe while i coughed more and more blood. 

PAIN. 

When they stopped talking to rose she came to hug me while sliently crying. 

PAIN. 

"Promise me.... That... *cough* you'll live happily...... okay *cough" for me and..... Brother...." Now I know how brother felt when he lied about his deal with father.

PAIN. 

"Okay" she weakly answered. 

I couldn't talk anymore so i tried my best to smile as i let go of consciousness. 

........... 

When i woke up all i could see was White, nothing else, not even my body. Only pure White. 

"Anyone here?" 

Please don't tell me that death is an eternity in this void space that sound horrible. 

"Yes."

Oh at least I’m not alone. 

"What am i supposed to do here? 

"Prepare your reincarnation. "

"And how does it work? "

"When somebody dies their soul come to this space. And they can ask for everything they wish to have in their next lives. The difficulty of their next lives will be adjusted accordingly to the potential of their wishes. However due to your brother's previous tricks i changed the system a bit and upgraded the intelligence of this instance of me so don't try anything funny. "

"Eeeeeh...... okay.... If i can wish for anything i wish to be reborn in the same world as big brother and to be able to love him.... Something like a magic bind between us would be nice. Obviously i wish to remain who i am with my memories and sentiments. And if possible i want to be his sister again."

"Your wishes doesn't correspond with the difficulty level of your brother's world, you are too weak for this world."

"It doesn't matter."

"Okay."

He snapped his fingers and a door appeared out of nothing. I stepped through it without an instant of hesitation: big brother wait for me!

That chapter was so hard to write: So saaaaaaad. 

Anyway, starting from next chapter i'll take into account the poll of the second chapter. 

Cya ! 

 

37