chapter 12: Magic class
869 2 31
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

LANA’S POV

After i parted with sis at the main plaza, I followed a hooded figure to the magus’ district. When we arrived at a vast amphitheater the hooded figure went to the middle while we all took a seat. When everyone was finally seated, we heard a cut voice directly in our heads. Well, I guess I wasn’t alone cause everyone flinched at the same time before looking around confusedly.

“Welcome to the Academy. I believe that all of you knows a little about magic already so the first class will be yours to do.”

A chorus of confused exclamations was all she(?) got as an answer.

“Since all of you have some knowledge, I’ll ask for a class about the basis of magic. I’ll call one of you, when he doesn’t have anything more to say he’ll leave. And another one will continue. If nobody has anything more that they can say then he’ll be the class rep. Someone who already talked cannot come back, I am sole judge as to what is or isn’t part of the basics of magic. And if you don’t have anything interesting to say please don’t bother the class. You there, come you’ll be the first.”

She concluded motioning toward a robed student.

He then started to talk about magic circles. A magic circle is kinda like a math formula or an informatic program. You create them by weaving your mana in a complex shape and then reality will be altered according to the patterns that you weaved. At this point he was replaced by a shy giant with a bob haircut. That was kinda strange to look at but he continued the lesson talking about how to weave a magic circle. In fact, weaving pure mana is near to impossible since you can’t see it nor precisely feel it. you can feel a quantity of mana, but you won’t be able to tell if he’s shaped like a spere or a cube. Except for some people with peculiar skills like sis and her [energetic spell eyes]. As such it’s needed to infuse your mana with an elemental property to be able to weave it. for example, you can transform your mana as strands of light and then weave them. Light and darkness are the main elements used since others like earth or fire don’t have stable manifestations. Weaving flaming stands is really hard because they constantly change shape, and rock strands are rough and uneven making your circle brittle.

At this point he realized that he forgot to talk about the elements and then he started to talk about them, with a LOT of stuttering shy guys are a pain sometimes but they are cute, should I ask sister to act cute sometime? So, all in all there are 9 main elements: fire, water, wind, earth, lightning, ice, lava, metal, light and darkness. And then there are the conceptual element, they aren’t really elements because they don’t have a physical form but are more like concepts, we still recognize them as elements though. There are   of them: holy, demonic, order, chaos, soul, mind, telekinesis and summoning.

The basic elemental magics are used to get an effect directly linked to the element while conceptual magic is way more tricky: holy magic is used to ask for a favor or a contract to beings of the gods’ realm while demonic magic is the same but for the demons’ realm. However, one need to keep in mind that these entities aren’t categorized by their plane, they are evil gods and benevolent demons the difference remain in their powers. While gods take their power from belief demons steal the powers of others and make them theirs.

Then there’s order magic who focus on using the laws of the universe like gravity, time, space, etc.… honestly that’s the most vast and complex magic that exist and the sheer complexity of the magic circles make it impossible to use without hundreds of competent magi. It’s commonly acknowledged that every magic is a form of order magic but heavily simplified and focused. As for chaos magic it’s the most dangerous magic of all since it focus on destroying the laws of the universe as such it deals with eldritch entities, mutations and all this shit. This magic is not really developed since the casters tend to die or go mad really quick.

Soul magic is the most mysterious of all since it fiddles with the souls and that’s a power that even god’s can’t use easily. Considering my personal experience, it’s a magic that directly depends on The Creator’s power.

The mind elements focus on searching and controlling minds, telepathy is also one of its uses. As such the status and appraisal spells are mind magic. The telekinesis magic is very similar to mind magic, but instead of having influence over other's minds it has influence on the physical world and let you influence it at will, if your will is strong enough that is. The mind and telekinesis magic are two magic that also needs willpower instead of only pure mana and knowledge. Mind magic needs way less but consume more mana though.

And finally, the summoning element let you create and control creatures as if they were puppets, and there’s not even a hint of space magic: its only puppetry. It's not like telekinesis because each summon move on his own: the summoner order them to attack not to lift their arm and then swing it down. Necromancy is an economic form of this spell since it don't need to create puppets. But undead are often in bad shape. There are others magic elements such as blood or spirit, but they are race restricted for most of them or they can be assimilated to the other elements. 

Wow bob haircut talked for a reaaaaaaally long time. There aren't many people that could talk after him and most of them did quick interventions to correct what he told. And when no one seemed to have anything to talk about i got up and went down in the middle of the amphitheater as the others did before. I started to talk about the four ways to use basic elemental magic. Something that’s seemingly obvious since nobody talked about it 

"There are four ways to us basic elemental magic." Laugher erupted from the whole amphitheater and some people got up but the voice intervened.

"Nothing false was said, go back yo your seats."

A confused silence followed that i quickly broke.

"As i said, these four ways are creation, alteration, restauration and destruction. Production focuses on creating the chosen element, like creating an earth wall or a fireball. Alteration focuses on transforming one element in another. For example, altering a iron wall into water, effective y destroying it. Restoration focuses on restoring the previous status of something using different elements. It's different from production in the fact that it voluntarily limits itself to a precise shape and involves complex elemental combinations, and this requires major modifications of the magic circle. And finally, there is destruction which consist in converting an already present element to mana." A chorus of understanding noises came from the tribunes as they heard my last statement.

Some people then came to complete what I said but that was all refused by the voice saying that it wasn’t part of the basics, so I ended as the class rep.

“for your next lesson tomorrow afternoon, I want a complete analysis of your anatomy which we’ll use for our first class on healing magic.”

And then the hooded figure exited the amphitheater leaving us all on our own. Everyone rushed to his dorm to start the work for tomorrow. Since it was already late in the evening we even ate during the lesson. It was really long but still interesting.

Well, I already know most of my own since I have nearly the same body as my previous life, I don’t know why tough. Anyway, since I was studying to become an athlete, I knew my body well. So I leisurely went back to the dorm half expecting to see sis already waiting for me. Since she would’ve probably left any lesson that wasn’t interesting enough. Well she wasn’t here, it was a bit sad but then I’ll be able to welcome her, that though instantly cheered me up and I waited for her.

I waited.

And waited.

And waited more.

I let Rose eat by herself and go to bed, but sis still didn’t show herself. I trust that nothing bad happened, but she could still have told me if she went to hunt.

When night was fully here, I hear the noise of the door opening. One mad dash later and I was hugging sis’ while she patted me.

"Why are you here so late?"

"I dueled the head teacher. The hospital tried to hold me for a few more days, but i came back."

As expected of sis she never ceases to amaze me…

"You dueled the head teacher, why does that seem only slightly strange coming from you."

…She amazes me by trashing my common sense.

"You'll make me blush y'know."

"As if."

"Teheee"

"Don't teheee me. And how can you make such expressions? Don't you have pride as a man?”

"What’s pride, can I eat it?"

"I give up."

"Victory is mine! Anyway, I’ll need you to heal me cuz I can't move even one muscle. My facial muscles don’t count."

"How the fuck did you get yourself in that state?"

She explained me her duel against her whole class and then her head teacher.

"So, you overwhelmed him in the end. But you didn't do any serious damage, lost your spine and overtaxed your body to the point of not being able to move for several days."

"Yep."

"Go lie down on the bed I’ll heal you."

"Thanks!"

She went to lie down as I started to weave a basic healing magic circle. As I entered the room, I saw her lying down and felt a sudden urge to hug her. I followed it and wholeheartedly hugged her back.

"Lana we can still hug later, can you just heal me for now."

Oh, that commanding tone, so damn good.  I’ll need to hide those tendencies to sis, she’s so freedom minded, she would find me disgusting, I’m sure about that.

"Y-yes, mistress." I still whispered.

I quickly composed myself and completed my healing spell according to sis’ anatomy, I studied it beforehand exactly for this kind of situations. It’s relieving that she can’t see my embarrassing smug face.

I let the magic flow into her. She didn’t have any reaction even when it should have itched a lot. She indeed overtaxed her body.

"You should be fine now." I said as I collapsed on her back due to lack of mana and food. I definitely should’ve eaten before but I wanted to eat with her.

"Lana we can still hug later, can you just hit the favorites button for now."

Oh, that commanding tone, so damn good.  I’ll need to hide those tendencies to sis, she’s so freedom minded, she would find me disgusting, I’m sure about that.

"Y-yes, mistress." I still whispered.

31