Chapter 13: Mana, aura and ki
818 7 34
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

KRELL'S POV

For the second day we both went to our respective districts, well technically I belong to the three. I still went to the warriors'. When I got to the training ground i saw four big groups of students. Each with one different teacher. I went to Richie's group; I could also see Lucius within. 

I don't really know how a beetle can look surprised, but he managed to.

"How the hell are you here they told me that you'd need at least a week !?"

"I would've needed two days at most, they were just planning to hold me captive and question me. And I have a mage at my disposition so that's not a problem."

"Well, the medical department is always hungry for achievements... *Sigh* you can join the group then.”

I went to the front of the group. Which i just noticed was composed only of first year students. There was a weird mix of fearful and worshipping gazes directed at me. I decided to ignore them and called Lucius.

Now that I take a good look at him, he's rather tall for a 10-year-old boy. His white hair and refined face make him look like someone of the magus' or Warmasters' district. I still don't know which kind of weapon he uses but he should be good at it, if only because of his observation skills.

After a while the four teachers gathered in the middle aside from Richie there was tall and slender monkeykin man, a fierce wolfkin woman, and a frail looking fairy with Dazzling butterfly wings. She gathered the attention of everyone most of them eyed her with fearful looks while the first years' were mostly scornful. I don't really know what to think of her, but she must fight with the help of magic or be a speed focused fighter. And those wings sure are a cheat, I should think of a way to defeat flying enemies.

The general attention shifted to the teachers, who gathered in the center of the training ground, when Richie started to talk.

"Today every one of you will join a vocation group, the first years still don't know what it is so I’ll explain first. A vocation group is assigned to each teacher according to his specialty and he'll teach the students that joined his group according to his skill. I am in charge of the defender group."

"Koryuuk here is in charge of the Heavywielders." He said as the monkeykin bowed.

"Maheena is in charge of the Swiftfighters." He continued pointing at the wolfkin.

"And Orthunia is in charge of the cultivators." So, the fairy's name is Orthunia... Fitting.

I can guess that these vocations are like the classes from RPGs with the Heavywielders who are burst type dps with heavy weapons, the Swiftfighters are agility based dps, and defenders are tank... I don't know what this cultivator thingy is, maybe something like Chinese cultivation?

"Before you choose your vocation you need to know that the cultivators don't train with aura like the three other vocations. They use Ki, or weapon energy and as such their fighting style is in between a magus' and a warrior's.".

So, it's really cultivation. I Wonder which vocation I should go for. My fighting style is in between Heavywielder and Swiftfighter. And I’m sure I won't fit in the defender class, maybe I should try out the cultivators.... 

I just hope that the group mentality is better than those wuxia novels, preying and bullying the weak isn't nice. And one day it'll bite back at you, while if you're nice to them you can use and train them as useful pawns.

Maybe I should go and ask Richie about my vocation, he knows more than me. I quickly made my decision and went to the group of teachers who were chatting in the middle of the training ground. While the students were pondering or gathering in one of the corners of the field. Each corner had its own banner with a vocation name wrote in.

"Hey Richie!" I said irrupting in their conversation.

"Oh, hello Krell."

"Wait she's Krell? How could such a cutie bully you like she did?" Said the wolf girl with a teasing grin.

" If it wasn’t for my chitin I would've lost, and I’m pretty sure that she can beat you three."

"Awww Richie don't say things like that you'll make me blush. But still, a duel would be a good idea..."

"Please Krell don't go dueling everyone, at least not in public."

"Okay Richie, anyway I need your insight on which vocation I should choose since I’m between Heavywielder and Swiftfighter and cultivator looks interesting too."

"There is one problem: judging by how you fight aura would be useless to you. It serves to increase the stamina and strength of your muscles. And since you don't really fight with your body, it's more like a support for your strength. It would hardly be useful for you."

His insight is damn great! And he hit full marks, it would be useless to me since I already have my centipede with his unending stamina, as long has he still has blood left that is. And his monstrous strength, so training my aura would be utterly inefficient.

"So, we can teach you fighting techniques and refine your skills. but we can't increase your overall power. Thus, I think that you should go for being a cultivator...Orthunia can you see if she has some talent for Ki." He said as he motioned for the fairy, who was politely waiting at a distance with the two others, to come.

"So, you want to give me a troublesome student once more? Don't worry I’ll tame her and make her a great fighter. Now let me see your Ki." She came very close to me and put her right hand on my forehead.

I should wait and see but judging by how she said "tame" I won't attend her class that much, I think not at all might be the wisest choice.

"That's rather interesting, she already shaped her Ki."

Hey don't talk like I’m not here.

"Do you have a specific weapon that you dedicate yourself to?"

I guess that since atlas is my objective that fits.

"Yes, what does it have to do with my Ki being shaped?"

"How to put it? Let's just say that your Ki can only work with this specific weapon, so you should bring it for the next lesson."

"That might be a bit hard since I can't lift her..."

"You can't lift it? And also, her?"

"Yep, my sword is too heavy for me right now."

Then train your body and come back to the class once you can lift it, i can’t teach you anything without it."

So, it seems that they can't teach me anything, should I go to see sis. Yep, seems like a good idea.

"I'll be taking my leave then, Richie do you know where the 1st years magi are right now?"

"They should be in the southern part of their district, near the central district, why?"

"Thanks, I’ll be going then!"

I dashed away in the Academy's streets toward the mage district, wait for me Lana!

........

I was looking down from a tall building's roof looking through every Windows that I could find. I changed my observatory three times before I finally found her. She was seated near a window in the back of the class. 

I thank whichever god is in charge of the climate, since it's a sunny day, the windows are open. If they weren't i would’ve smashed one to get in. But that’s likely to cause a few problem if I ever do  it.

Silently got in by the Window just behind sis'. And I suddenly heard a voice from within my head.

"What do you think you're doing?"

Is that telepathy? Then should i answer with my mind too? I focused my mind and imagined myself saying: "I just came to see my sister and learn a bit about magic."

"Then I’ll include you in the class, please remain as silent as you were."

Yay it worked!

"Got it."

"...and as you learn more about anatomy, you'll even be able to alter it durably. For example, by changing the composition of your skin, adding a metallic layer to it and this kind of things. However, this kind of magic is extremely dangerous both for you and the subject so don't use it on anyone before studying his anatomy for at least a year..."

That bit of lesson was interesting, but I quickly ignored it as I focused on Lana once again.

...........

LANA'S POV

I suddenly felt a girl's hand covering my mouth. What does she think she's doing! Sis is the only one who can dominate me like this.

As I looked down, I saw my aggressor, a young girl's hand with a red centipede tattoo slithering on it. Sis! I instantly relaxed and kissed the hand.

.............

BACK TO KRELL'S POV

She quickly relaxed and kissed my hand; she must've noticed my centipede. I slipped over my desk and sat right behind her dragging her into a tight back hug.

"Why're you here?"

"They can’t really train me, and I missed you.”

I swiftly pecked at her nape.

“I’m happy that you came for me but please don’t surprise me like that, teacher isn’t kind with those that make noise.”

“Do you want me to behave then?”

“Ah… no… not like that, I-I didn’t mean that, I...”

Why is she so flustered, I didn’t do anything weird did I?

“Alright, alright, just calm down for now okay.” I calmed her, patting her head.

I shifted my attention back to the class.

“Hum miss? Could you please explain what mana is, because it’s different from aura or Ki. While they are respectively life force, and weapon energy. What is Mana? And why does it have so much uses?”

I didn’t follow the lesson so I don’t know why he asked something like that, but this is definitely a useful piece of info, let’s listen the answer.

“Mana is very much like aura or Ki in a sense that it’s a lifeforce. Aura is the lifeforce of humans and animals, Ki is the lifeforce of minerals and as such of a lot of weapons and armors. And Mana is the life force of nature and flora. Don’t ask me how minerals does have a lifeforce, they don’t but they produce this energy the same way as fauna and flora do so we assume it’s the same. And I made a little blunder, Mana Aura and Ki are the refined form of those energies, the form that we can use. And finally, to answer your question mana has much more uses because it’s easier to use, Ki requires a lot of time and understanding, while aura is all about one’s comprehension about himself. Opposed to magic can be taught easily because it’s not specific to oneself or requires lot of time, it’s only knowledge and training. One’s talent still matters though.”

“But then why does earth and metal magic exist, shouldn’t they be related to Ki?”-Lana.

“No, Mana is the energy of nature, but we don’t use pure mana to do magic. For example, if I wish to attack someone with fire magic, I won’t send him a bunch of fire infused mana. While it would work it’s also highly inefficient. I’ll create a magic circle to bend reality using Mana as an energy source. And they’re still a part of nature so even if we can’t extract mana from them, we can still infuse our mana with it, theoretically one could also infuse his mana with the beast or human element but they are way too complex.”

“So theoretically one could use magic with aura and Ki, right?”-Krell.

“Yes, although it’s less compatible. The main problem is that while you can infuse mana with an element you can’t with aura and Ki, which make weaving magic circle way harder.”

I think that I should come more often to the magi’s lessons they’re really interesting.

 

“Do you want me to leave a review then?”

“Ah… no… not like that, I-I didn’t mean that, I...”

Why is she so flustered, I didn’t do anything weird did I?

“Alright, alright, i'll just favorite the chappy for now okay.”

34