chapter 14: huntress
773 3 26
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The sun wasn't even up when I got out of the room. Glad that i managed to get up as early as I wanted. Guess that a healthy sleeping schedule helps with that, I still miss my videogames even if it’s not as much as I would've thought. Being in a fantasy world helps a lot, i think.

Anyway, I need to hunt. So, I went out of the town and searched for a forest, since we are down in the plains, I doubt that the animals are as carefree as on the mountains. But maybe I could find a magical beast. 

I never fought one. There was none in the mountains except for powerful looking birds that sometime came to hunt. I doubt that i can take a phoenix down before at least getting atlas.

I sidetracked right? But i still found my forest, but before eating in need to do a prayer right.

"Itadakimasu" I always found this sentence fun. 

I went in and used my mediocre tracker capabilities to search for a track. Well, that wasn’t that hard since I searched for a big. 

And whoever left that trail is indeed big. There's a massive path cut through the forest as if some big beast dragged herself in a straight line disregarding the obstacles. That shall be a good pray.

After following the tail i found a... a creature? I never saw one like that before. It looked like a horse sized lizard with muscular limbs, bones plates acting as armor on its spine and an oversized bony jaw. Two horns in a crescent shape on its tail, a natural mace of sorts. But the biggest characteristic was the crescent shaped horn on his head, strangely it reminded me of a Japanese kabuto helm.

It would be troublesome to destroy my hands on its armor, and I can't really do any damage to its limbs. I’ll attack from below then.

I crouched and waited for my time. He turned his head, here's my chance! I dashed on all four under him and suddenly stretched up in a devastating uppercut. My bones nearly snapped but i sent him flying before that.

I don't think the rock on which it landed did it any good. I quickly approached and seems like it has trouble standing up now that he's on his back. All the better for me. I crushed its limbs with a big rock. A bit too big since it fucked my balance and I nearly fell but it worked in the end. I dropped the rock on its tail, sat on its chest and then proceeded to pummel its ribs. If i can puncture its heart or lungs, then i won't have to worry.

 I feel a bit sorry for the wails of the beast but not that much. He was meant to be my centipede 's nourishment, that's all. I Charged him on my back and felt my feet sunk a bit into the ground as my bones protested. I'm honestly happy that it created me a path. 

I followed the trail, it led me to a less dense part of the forest but soon got back inside the denser parts. I simply decided to force my way through and went straight to the edge of the forest. I don't know if I should be thankful that I didn't wear much: my clothes weren't ripped apart but my arms and legs were covered in small cuts.

I finally exited the forest and let my prey on the ground, now that nothing can ambush me let's start. I used his own claws for open his belly and before any blood could gush out i shoved my hand inside the wound. This sensation was as strange as always. It felt like my hand became a vacuum, I could sense the blood sunk in my flesh and cross it to end in the centipede. I repeated the process in other parts until i finally sucked him dry. Do not take this sentence without the context please. I decided to drag the thing back into town since my bones were ready to go on strike at any moment.

……

When I arrived at the magus’ district’s entrance a guard stepped in front of the door barring the entrance.

“Miss, I’m sorry but this is the Academy, and as such only students and special residents can come in.”

“I’m a student.”

“Then can I have your adventuring id to confirm it please.”

“Adventuring id?”

“So, you’re not a student, please get out this instant, I won’t ask nicely anymore.”

“So, if I’m not a student I can’t go through this gate, that’s it?”

“Yes.”

This ask for a brute force solution: I shoved my foots in the ground and swinged the corpse, throwing it above the city wall. I broke my right elbow in the process, but it was worth it. I mean, his face was so funny.

“then I’ll enter by above, that’s legit right?”

And without waiting for an answer I jumped on the wall above the gate. my corpse dropped behind, all the way to the ground so I used it as a cushion to fall on.

The guard still didn’t manage to get back from his shock, I could see him through the door. Since I didn’t see any reason to hold it back, I let my laughter free. He still didn’t snap to reality, so I carried on onto my dorm.

……

I dropped the beast in the courtyard behind our dorm building. I wonder what I should do with it, I’m sure that the bony armor and the horns would be useful, maybe even the jaw. I don’t know where to sell it though. I should go and ask Richie, he must know.

So, I went to the warrior’s district and repeated the tactic that I used to find sis’ yesterday. And there he is, training some defender students.

I climbed down and scratched my foot in the process. Did I seriously forgot to put on shoes? And I even went to hunt in a forest without them? What the hell’s wrong with me, I should’ve noticed waaaaaay earlier. Anyway, I continued to walk and quickly reached Richie.

“Hey Richie!”

“Yes Krell?”

He didn’t even turn around to face me.

*insert cute ten years old girl’s pouting face*

“I went to hunt this morning and caught a big plated lizard with a crescent shaped horn. Do you know if and where I can sell it?”

“I guess that I shouldn’t expect less from you. You should come to class this evening, it’ll interest you.”

“fine, but you didn’t answer my question.”

“go to the central district and search for a building called ‘devil’s hunter’ you should be able to sell it there.”

“thanks’ I’ll be going then!"

As always I didn't wait for an answer and disappeared into the streets.

And as i reached the central district i reused the mightiest scouting technique: I climbed on the highest building i could see and looked down. I should add bettering my eyesight to my to do list. I still found the building quickly.

It was a wooden building, that alone made it stand out in the marble made district. And i seriously need to find where does the owner/builder comes from. Because a viking culture isn't one that i can accept to miss!

I rushed back to my dorm, grabbed the smelly corpse and rushed to the shop.

...........

RANDOM EMPLOYEE'S POV

I thought that this would be a lazy day, after all the students only start the requests tomorrow so I should laze as much as i can today.

I couldn't be more wrong. The door slammed open and a petite figure entered, dragging something, that was much bigger than her. She looked like.... I don't know how a cute ten-year-old girl with only a tube top and hotpants is supposed to look like already, but then add the fact that she was covered in scratches and was dragging a Bonejaw... I just hope that she wasn't the one who hunted it or at least not alone.

..........

BACK TO KRELL'S POV

I slammed the door open and judging by the clerk reaction he wasn't expecting a client.

"Hello, welcome to the Devil's hunter. You're here to sell I suppose?"

"Yep, can you buy that thing?"

"The Bonejaw?"

"Yep."

So that's what it's called, fitting.

"Whole ??"

"Yep."

Am i that strange, ‘cause he looks really unwell.

"Well whole except for the blood that i drained."

"So, with the bone plates?"

"Is it that strange?"

"Frankly? Yes, I’ll tell you why if you let me buy them."

"How much for the whole thing"

"4 gold coins."

I don't have any idea how much that’s worth....

"I hunted it this morning, the flesh and skin can still be used, 6 gold."

I don't have any idea of the thing's worth but what i said is totally true.

"You're ripping me, 4 gold 60 silver."

A classic RPG system? So 1gold=100 silver=10000 copper? Let's go with that.

"I can consider 5 gold 40 silver."

"4 gold 90 silver that's as high as I can go."

"Ten more silver and it's yours."

"Fine here you go five gold."

Yes! I was right, all hail the cliché!

He handed me a big purse, there was definitely more than five gold there.

"Here, 3 gold and 200 silver, you can count them. And it’s strange for you to sell them since you can ask for a craftsman to make an armor out of them."

I don’t need one.... Well thanks for the pocket money.

"Thanks, where should I put that?"

"You can put it there he said." Showing a stone platform. Well getting blood on the wood would rot it in no time.bi dropped my hunt on the platform and now, how should i tune my sense of money... Guess that food is the best way. I should bring sis' to a restaurant. I decided i'll go get sis and then we'll find a good restaurant!

.........

"Nour i need your help: do you know a good restaurant in the Academy, is 5gold al lot of money? Also i need you to remember that i need to enhance my bones and eyesight, find two others spells for my eyes and find a way to deal with flying enemies."

I said as i barged into her room, slamming the door open with a loud bang.

"I shall do as you wish young miss, but can you please leave so that i finish changing."

I finally realized that she was naked in front of a dresser filled to the brim with... Only maid uniforms? And honestly, they're nice but could use a few tweaks. Like stockings, knee length skirt instead of ankle length, more complex laces in the back and a headdress.

Wait I got sidetracked. 

"Can't you just answer me, it's not like you have anything to hide from me."

"As you wish young miss, there's a good restaurant with good meat in the south of the Warrior's district. It's called White River."

She knows me so well.

"As for 5 gold coins it's enough for me to live off one entire month, so yeah it's a lot of money. and I’ll take note of what you said, I’ll remind you of that every two days.

"fine, remind me of designing you new work outfits too."

Hey, I realized that my chapters keep getting longer, I started at 1,5k and I’m at 1,9k. anyway there'll be a third chapter this week and I’ll try to keep that rhythm... don't resent me for not doing it.

 

I barged into her room, slamming the door open with a loud bang.

"I shall do as you wish young miss, but can you please leave so that i finish counting."

I finally realized that she was naked in front of a dresser filled to the brim with...only positive reviews?

26