Chapter 17: Sci-FI and eyeball
690 3 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

KRELL’S POV

It's been a week since I started taking on requests and I learned quite bit of useful things, starting by the names of many beasts. I also confirmed that I’ll need to enhance my bones because if I try to fully muster the strength of Bloo I just crush them into a fine dust. Bloo is my centipede's name by the way, I can't call him "my centipede" all the time, can I?

And today I found a strange request, it's about some magical beasts that lurk in the sewers. Not really a nice place to go to but it's an investigation request. Which means unknown dangers!

And fighting new things is always a fun thing.

It was still early morning as I reached a passage to the sewers. As I passed the gate like structure I started to go downwards through dimly lit stairs. And it Then dawned on me that i had no fucking way to see in the dark... 

Back to square one: the dorm!

I kicked the door open.

"Sis'! Do you know any night vision spell?"

Oops I startled her during her breakfast... Nour and Syca will have a bit of work Cleaning this mess. 

"Do you mean a spell that change your eyes definitely, or a buff spell?"

"A buff!" I instantly replied.

"Then we should go to the battle-supports' library."

"Yep, but before that you need to clean up a bit."

The table and floor are already clean thanks to our maids, but I can't say the same of sis'.

"Ah! Hum sorry!"

She hurriedly said before disappearing in the bathroom. She got out soon after perfectly clean.

"Magic?"

"Yes, I tried to apply water magic and then restoration magic, and it worked."

"Wow... I don't have any idea about how difficult that is, but congrats nonetheless."

As we walked to the battle-supports' library she explained me about the different vocations for magi. The clerics, the battlemages and the surgeons. So, what if that's not the official names, they work just fine.

"Wait surgeons are waaaay too strong!"

"Humm. Not really, no. They can't fight as good as the others, so their might come from the ones they reinforce and that agrees to protect them. And honestly most peoples don’t really like it when we fiddle with their body."

"That make sense, but I persist that permanently changing one's body is extremely strong."

 we continued to discuss the different vocations 'till we reached the library. It was a white tower. With the same mix of Greek and medieval architecture than the rest of the Academy. Meaning white columns on the exterior of each floor, creating the impression of a spine.

Once inside we asked where we could find info on vision related buff spells and a clerk guided us to the related part of the library. Sis instantly started to read and sketch magic circle while I stood idly by the side... I don't understand a shit about magic, why can't it be like in all those isekais where magic is all about imagination! 

I then took my great sword from my back, it gathered me a lot of odd looks this morning. I know that it’s bigger than me, but they can at least pretend to not mind me. Anyway, I started to polish it since I have nothing else to do.

It took a loong while but sis' managed to craft a nice circle for me. it will stay active as long as I pour mana into it and will consume little to no mana at all, while allowing me to see in the dark if I look through it. Hehe now it's time to add it to my eyes!

Following sis' guidance, I meticulously weaved the mana and when the circle was finished, I applied it against my left eye. suddenly I felt the mana flow in my retina, it was a strange sensation that I didn’t felt since I leaned the status spell. And at the same time I felt my right eye change as well. When I channeled my mana in my eyes I could felt two directions in which I could direct it forward and upward. I choose to channel it forward and I felt it escape my control. Then the same strange sensation invaded my eyes and my vision became clearer, as if I augmented the gamma. Guess that forward is night vision and upward is status then. maybe I should check it again? Nah it's useless since I can't compare to anything and I don't get Bloo's info. 

Anyway, now that have my night vision, I can finally do this request. I would already be back if I had been a bit more farsighted...

.......

And I’m back to the sewers, with the difference that now I can see. I don't know for how long I can keep pouring mana into the circle, so I still took a torch.

I readied my great sword in one hand and held my torch above my head with the other. And i pushed forward into the moist and putrid darkness. That sounded really cool, should I become a novelist? I can copy a lot of ideas from earth without worrying about copyright so I should be able to become famous... Wait no. If there's no better way of communication than long range mind magic, then there's no way that I can become famous and rich. I should tell sis to promote communication when she’ll be the queen.

A loud screech forced me to focus again on my surroundings. I'm still on a request and in a potential danger zone, I should focus a bit more.

I peered into a lateral tunnel and saw the remains of a rat massacre. Hundreds of rodents partly eaten and splattered on the ground and walls. There was even an eyeball on the ceiling... Gross. Which make me wonder how can my night vision spell still be active after all this time? I don’t really have much mana since I never trained it.

But this whole gory show is a blessing in disguise for me. I mean if you don't have any blood on you after making this kind of mess then you're an ethereal entity. And if you've got fresh blood on you then you'll leave a trail. And. Here. It. Is! Elementary, my dear Watson. 

I followed the fresh blood trail to a big circular room where I found, Tyranids? Zergs? i signed up for a fantasy world not a sci-fi one! so before me stood four short humanoids creatures, with four arms, bony exoskeletons, three eyes on each side of the head, three mandibles forming a triangular mouth, a flat triangular bone plate that extended behind their heads and claws as long as my hands...

I call for a purge by steel!

I threw the torch at them and judging by the pained screeches they don’t like light. I closed in taking advantage of their distraction. And I swung at the joint in the legs of the closest one. I don’t wanna test the strength of that exoskeleton. And I shattered both of his knees. I put a distance between me and the floor bound horror in order to avoid any opportunist attack and focused on the three others who were now charging at me. I shifted my grip on my blade and mustering as much strength as my bones could handle delivered a powerful smash with the flat of my blade sending them to the floor a few feet back. But damn those exoskeletons sure are sturdy, there isn’t even a crack on any of them!

I repeated my strategy of disabling one and then getting away. And it seems that they only possess basic intelligence since they charged at me again. You know what they say: “rinse and repeat”. I smacked them to the ground, disabled one, got away, smacked down the last one when he charged at me and then disabled him. And now they’re crawling toward me with their four arms. I’m seriously relieved that I didn’t have to engage in close combat against them. Sixteen armored arms at the same time are a bit too much. I went around and decapitated them one by one. I really made good judgements in this fight; they took nearly one minutes before their bodies stopped moving after being beheaded. As though as a cockroach.

I scanned the room once more and noticed a large hole on the ground. Those four pests were a bit to close for me to take a good view at the room. It looked like the entrance of a tunnel. Please don’t tell me that there’s an anthill of those things. I dropped down in the tunnel and started exploring and soon my fears were confirmed, there were a lot of other tunnels joining this one, and there was even more of those aliens. Before they noticed me I ran away as fast as I could, and only once I was out of the sewers, I paused to catch my breath.

I need to report this, we have a fuckin colony underneath the town!

 

I made those monsters with the genestealers from warhammer 40K in mind if you wann search what they looks like, i'll probably make an art when i find some time. 

 

 

She got out soon after in the first place of the rankings.

"Magic?"

"Yes, I tried to apply mind magic and then make them favourite and review the novel, and it worked."

"Wow... That definitely deserve a round applause"

21