25
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"What do you think?

Leo glanced between the letter in his hand and his Queen. In all honesty, he thought the letter was worded a little too strongly. Even so, it was certainly persuasive. He faced her again and she crossed her arms, frowning. Her impatience was clear. She wanted an answer and she wanted it now. No questions asked.

He reached across the wooden desk between them to the source of his distraction and tugged a golden strand of her now shoulder-length hair. "I don't like it."

She whacked his hand away. "Deal with it. And we're supposed to be talking about the letter. Do you think it will work or not?"

"Why are you asking me?" He spun a pen between his fingers. "Hathy is the one who takes care of inter-planetary affairs, not me." That was her role as the Queen's Third, after all.

Amneris leaned back in her chair, rubbing her hands over her face. "Yes but, no offence to my daughter, I believe this particular task is suited to someone with . . . more experience when it comes to people. Especially these ones. She's only been with us for the last hundred or so years."

Leo gave her a flat look, waving the letter in her face. "You do remember the burning building, right?"

"Yes."

"It's just that I doubt these people will take kindly to seeing me or hearing from you again."

Hey, if you have a better idea, I'm open to suggestions."

He did not.

Four thousand years of dealing with nobles, threats to destroy the multiverse, constant dying, becoming an enemy to his oldest friend, seeing many of the worlds throughout so many universes, and he could not come up with a better idea of how to rile up an army against the forces of Terpola. The Lyriumian army, sure. No problem there. He was in command. Now that Terpola had made allies with other worlds, their forces were rather . . . small.

There had been rumours of Terpolites wanting to join the Lyriumian army. Leo had met all of them days ago and allowed for them to join after a very long and gruelling session of questions and answers. They had provided more information about Tara's plan. Well, had tried to. It was nothing they did not already know. He had decided not to tell Amneris. Sure, she had a heart, but she could hold a grudge for years. Thousands of years. There were times where it seemed to not matter if the person was good. If they were from Terpola . . .

He took the risk.

"Did you ever think this whole war is pointless?"

Her eyes narrowed and tension filled the air.

"Hear me out," Leo started. "This whole war is for the Photon Core. At least, that's what it says on paper." He tapped the letter at those words. "Are you sure this has nothing to do with you wanting revenge against Enliatu for killing you and your brother?"

She sparked. The letter almost caught alight. "This is about the Core." She somehow managed to keep her voice smooth.

"Don't you think you should sit this out?" He folded the letter, moving it away from them in case she decided to spark again. He placed his hands palm-up on the desk. "This is too personal for you, Amns. If Enliatu is released – and, let's be real about this – you will put your vendetta above the safety of not just the Court, but the entire multiverse."

She slammed her hands on the desk. "You know nothing." She transformed herself into orbs of light and vanished through the wall.

Leo waited until he was sure she was gone before releasing the breath he had no realised he was holding.

"That could have gone better," a voice said from behind him.

He turned to see a dragonfly zip off the wall and shift into Nikki. She sat at the desk where Amneris had been only seconds ago, taking the letter into her hands. "I know it could have," he said.

Nikki whistled as she read the letter. "Damn, that girl is desperate now."

"Don't say that to her face," he told her, pointing towards the burn marks in the shape of the Queen's hands on the desk.

Nikki through the letter and it vanished, presumably to those whom it was addressed. "I won't. If anyone should watch what they say around her, it's you." She gave the General a pointed look. Leo glared in return. "I'm not disagreeing. You're right. She will put her emotions over those who are important."

"You could try when she's calm."

The Shifter cackled. "Not a chance. This is your problem." She pressed a kiss to his cheek. "Just go when you think she'll listen."

* * * * * * * *

She was easy to find. She always went to the same place when she needed to relax.

Leo sat beside Amneris on the grass hill, watching the waters of the Najima flow past. It had begun to turn a deep orange from the fire-like horizon's light. There were still families sitting on blankets by the side of the river. Some of them were playing in the water while others seemed to be cooking picnic meals for dinner.

A brightly coloured ball flew towards them. Amneris caught it. A young boy and girl ran up to her, laughing as they came to retrieve it. They stopped when they realised who she was, the both of them sketching a bow. Amneris huffed a laugh, throwing the ball back. They waved as they ran back to their families.

"Despite what the stories say, I gave up on the whole revenge thing a long time ago," she started slowly. "I wandered the worlds for so many years before we met, thinking I had no purpose left in the worlds. I saw so many amazing and beautiful things, but all I could think about was Enliatu killing me and my brother. All I wanted was to do something to him like what he did to me." A dark smile appeared as she rested her chin on her knees. "And I did. I did many things I'm not proud of, some of which I would undo if I could."

Some. She had said some. Not all. Leo had heard stories of the Queen of Lyriumia. Not all of them were about a goddess of light who would help the helpless and save those who were in danger. If anything, those stories were virtually non-existent compared to the others. The rest of the stories were about a feared Queen who would do anything – kill anyone, to be more specific – to reach her goal. He did not know how many of those stories were true.

"When we met," she continued, "and you all but begged me to take you with me, a part of me wanted to do it straight away. No questions asked. I wanted a friend but didn't want to go through the pain again. I wouldn't let myself, so I left." She closed her eyes for a breath, seeming to gather her thoughts. All Leo could do was listen. "Then you died. I made you like me and, well, you know the rest. I was tempted to just leave you there. That was when you said something to me." Her eyes were distant, as though she were lost in the distant memory. "Do you remember what you said?"

He thought back to the day from four thousand years ago. So much had happened since then. He had almost forgotten the day they met; the day his life changed forever. "I said I already thought of you of my friend and that I wouldn't let you be alone anymore. I said that, even though you were no good with people, we would have forever to figure it out."

Amneris nodded. "That changed my mind. It made me think, 'maybe there is something worth more out there'. It took a while, but I figured it out and that's why I'm still fighting in this War and why I'm going to win it." She waved a hand towards the families before them. "Someone has to give them the chance I never got."

"What chance?"

"One for peace and love." She tilted her head towards him slightly. "I fight to give them what I never had, even as a child. Sure, I had friends, but I did not believe it was real. It was all just a dream to me." She held her hand in front of her, allowing for cyan sparks to dance across her palm. "When my mother beat me, I always thought I deserved it; that it was what happened to those with my power. It took me meet you – getting to know you – to realise just how wrong I was."

Unable to stop himself, Leo pulled her into a tight hug. She froze momentarily before wrapping her arms around him and resting her head against his chest. He brushed a hand through her hair. "I'm glad I met you, Amns."

She purred happily. "I'm glad I met you, too." 

0