28
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

There were times where Kayla felt like she was the weakest member of the Court. She had the least amount of filed time and was by far the worst fighter of the group. She hated fighting. Had refused to do so more often than not. The others respected her decision, but still . . .

Kayla had no idea why she’d been allowed to join the Court in the first place.

She had been told over and over how she would become one of the most powerful Healers in existence. Her parents told her. Her Queen told her. Her friends told her. Perhaps that was why. Even so, it didn’t mean she believed them.

If there was something she was known for, it definitely was not her healing abilities. Kayla always felt they were unreliable at best, but the others insisted otherwise. They all thought she was an incredible Healer who would be able to fix even the worst of problems. Well, within reason. Kayla just liked helping people.

She didn’t understand why Amneris kept her around as a Court member. She was a Healer. This was a Court of immortals. No need for a Healer. Kayla would’ve been quite happy to leave and work as a teacher or Healer at the Academy. Those kids always needed one with all those stunts they pulled, not to mention the uncontrolled magical accidents.

Sadly, there was no time for that,

Kayla sighed at the ocean view before her, arms moving to rest on the stone balcony. The Palace view was amazing she had to admit. From here, she could see the entirety of the snow-white city of Lapide, all the way to the horizon. Sometimes, Kayla swore she could see a glimpse of the island entrance to Aruma far off in the distance. The others couldn’t see it and dismissed it as a mirage. Amneris always had that secretive smile whenever Kayla pointed it out. It was as though she knew what the island, if it was real, really was.

The clacking of heeled shoes on stone forced Kayla to turn away from the view.

Carmin was coming toward her, wings folded behind her. She pushed her constant braid over her shoulder so it hung between her wings. The Dragonoid stood beside her, giving the view an approving smile. “We were beginning to wonder where you wandered off to,” she said by way of greeting.

Kayla gave her a tight-lipped smile. It wasn’t that she didn’t like Carmin. If anything, Carmin was one of the more decent members of the Court. It was the vibe she gave off which made so many love her. Kayla wanted to be on her own, to get lost of the view again. “Was someone looking for me?”

“Jay had a moment of panic when he woke up without you. Not that he said anything about sleeping with you,” she quickly added before realising it wasn’t the best idea. “Is there . . . Is there anything you want to talk about?”

Kayla shook her head. “It’s nothing.”

“You can talk to me, you know.”

“It’s nothing, Car. Really.”

Carmin turned back to the view, understand what was not said. “We’re getting ready to go. Dan is doing a final briefing with Jay and Ema. Zoe is fuelling up whatever it is she’s made.”

Kayla was impressed. She couldn’t believe how naturally Carmin spoke about the Fae they’d captured. On the other hand, she couldn’t believe how willing Ema had been when it came to giving up everything she knew. The Zer sighed. If Carmin could trust her, Kayla figured she could too. “What would you like me to do?”

Carmin pressed a finger to her lower lip in thought. “You’re obviously coming with us. Just back what you need and meet us at the Workshop, okay?”

“Okay.”

Kayla waited for Carmin to leave before turning back to the ocean view. She didn’t want to go. She didn’t want to go to Terpola to rescue a Queen who could easily take care of herself. She wanted to stay and watch the waves crash against the shore, to smell the salt in the air.

She looked down at her webbed hands, to where Amneris’ mark was on her wrist. The sign of her immortality. This wasn’t the life she wanted. She didn’t know why she agreed to the terms. But it was too late to turn back now.

0