Chapter 52
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Leo was not in a good mood. He was going to kick Amneris’ arse when he saw her. The nobles present were not at all impressed at her missing the meeting. They thought it an insult. They were lucky Nikki managed to come up with a plausible excuse for her absence. Lvaane saw through it, of course, as did everyone else who knew Amneris. The newer Council members accepted the reason given, thankfully.

The meeting itself was straightforward. The next two-to-three days were to be used to mass troops and figure out where Enliatu’s first strike would be. The latter would be most difficult. No one knew where to begin, short of launching an all-out assault on Terpola. The idea was rejected by everyone but Homa who’d presented it in the first place. For now, each world had their areas to watch over while the Lyriumians monitored from afar.

The sooner they could stop Enliatu, the soon things would better.

Leo had offered to walk Nikki home after the meeting. He was about to be given a yes when Ray tossed her arm around the Shifter’s shoulders and insisted she help her find a gift for a special someone. Smiling apologetically, Nikki went with Ray. It was fine. He was fine. It was hardly the first time he’d been turned down because someone else interrupted. Instead, he wandered to Starlight Plaza.

As he walked. Leo came across something he wasn’t expecting to see. His Queen was kissing Colt in broad daylight while, at the same time, sending a group of kids a vulgar gesture. Well, at least now he knew where she was.

He stormed up to them, neither noticing, too distracted by each other. It took all his self-control not to make a vomiting gesture at the sight before him.

“What are you doing?” he demanded.

“Making out,” Amneris answered, retuning her attention to Colt.

Leo rolled his eyes. “Did you know we had a meeting today?” No answer. “Where were you?” Again, no answer. He rolled his eyes. “Would you two stop kissing already!” He shoved them apart. “Listen, we’ve got days to figure out where the fuck Tara is going after she frees the Enliatu and—”

“Oh, that already happened.”

“WHAT?!”

“Yeah, over an hour ago. You’re late to the party.”

Leo wanted to strange her. The way her annoyingly innocent face was making that annoyingly innocent smile wasn’t helping. Did she not understand how serious the situation was? Creation could lose the power of light and good or be destroyed, and she was on a date!

“Now is not the time for you two to start – start courting!” He was yelling now. “We have no idea where to start with this! If Enliatu has been released that means we have even less time to figure out where—”

“Ozialon.”

His eye twitched. “You know? You’ve known this whole time?”

“Actually,” Amneris said, being helped to her feet by Colt, “I’ve known for the last, oh, let’s say hour.”

“And you didn’t tell anyone?”

Amneris glanced at the Terpolite beside her, squeezing his hand as they walked. “I got a little distracted, but!” she exclaimed, breezing past, “I was gonna tell you the next time I saw you and I have, so all is good.”

Leo spun toward her, hand fisted. It lowered at Colt’s glare, the Terpolite making it clear he would interfere should any harm come to the woman on his arm. Amneris herself acted like she didn’t notice a thing, tossing her hair over a shoulder, continuing to walk

He watched as Colt sighed and pulled her to a stop. He said something that caused Amneris to look at Leo and turn back to Colt. She pointed at herself, eyebrows raised in a portrait of innocence. Colt would have none of it. He gave Amneris a gentle shove toward Leo.

She was muttering under her breath as she approached, no doubt sending several creative insults toward the man she’d just been kissing.

Amneris took a deep breath. “I am sorry for behaving badly and not telling you I’d gained information that may have been important to our cause.” She yelled over her shoulder to Colt, “Did I do it right?”

Colt raised his hand to his head in obvious disappointment.

Leo grasped her shoulders. “If you don’t start taking this seriously, we will fail.”

She shook free of his grip. “I’m taking this plenty serious. If anything, you need to lighten up before that lovely hair of yours turns grey.”

Amneris turned on her heel and sashayed away, ever the graceful Queen.

Leo was left gaping behind her.

0