Chapter 61
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

She was pissed.

Actually, no. Pissed was being generous. Hathor was well beyond pissed.

She knew it was wrong to wish death upon people—it was the ultimate insult to the Lyriumian people—but she hadn’t been able to stop herself. To think that they—that she—had been a mistake to her mother, it made her heart ache in more ways than one.

Hathor sighed. Maybe she should apologise for her words. She knew her mother had a temper, but she also knew Amneris never got truly mad at her. Something else was going on in the background for sure. Was she worried about her safety? It was Hathor’s first time on an actual battlefield but she believed she could handle it. The others—despite the debate they’d had behind closed doors—agreed. Perhaps it was something else—

“You’re still thinking about it, huh?” Jay placed a hand on her shoulder. “Try not to think too much about it. We all know what your mother is like.”

“I am trying.” Hathor’s hands gripped her boy, the polished wood groaning under her strength. “Say, you deal with her getting mad all the time. How?”

He laughed. “I let her get everything out of her system, then we talk about it like civilized adults.”

She nudged him. “Liar.”

Jay flashed her a grin. “That obvious?”

Before she could answer, he held up a hand. “They’re coming. Get ready.

The two were atop a hill overlooking the valley below. They were on the outskirts of Erostah, one of the rare areas in Creation where teleporting magic was forbidden. For anyone to enter the area, they would have to pass along this path.

Jay lay on his stomach, hands gripping what Hathor assumed was a sniper rifle. It was ironic. She knew he hated guns, they’d been the cause of his death, yet here they were.

Hathor knocked an arrow, lining up her own shot.

They waited.

Small figures appeared in the valley. An advanced squad, assuming the Scout information was correct. They were barely within Hathor’s range! She wasn’t sure she could make the shot—

“You’ll be fine,” Jay murmured, not taking his eyes off the target. “Just like regular practice.”

“Only with live targets. I know.”

Hathor blew her fringe from her eyes. This shot had to be perfect. So did the following ones. Her hands shook from the stress. You can do this. You’re a perfect shot in class. This is just the next level, that’s all. Her hands steadied.

She chose a target, eyes locking on. She let out a breath and released the arrow.

Instinct kicked in. Before the first target could fall, a second arrow was shot. Then a third and fourth. All arrows hit with perfect precision. The fifth, however, missed. A sudden gust of wind had thrown off her aim!

From her side, three suppressed—but still loud—shots came from Jay with no warning. Each hit its mark, directly between the eyes of the remaining scouts.

Hathor let out a low whistle. “For someone who doesn’t handle guns often, you’re a good shot.”

“Why, thank you.”

She punched his arm.

Jay slung his weapon over his shoulder. “Time to run!”

A nod.

As they ran to the next location given by Kek and the Scouts, Hathor found herself looking above. Dark clouds were gathering in the sky above Erostah. Thunder rumbled close by, sounding as though the Gods themselves were playing war drums, urging on the fight.

A storm was coming and, by the Gods, it was going to be good.


On the other side of the Range, Carmin stared at the same clouds. The scene was becoming all too familiar. She hadn’t seen what happened at the end of her vision but knew deep down that this was where it would take place. She’d said nothing about it to anyone but Dan, not wanting the others to be more concerned than they already were. Besides, it would change nothing. Carmin’s visions always came true.

The man in her thoughts appeared at her side. She grasped his hand. If he was bothered by the metal of her ring digging into his skin, he said nothing.

“It will happen here.”

Dan gave a single nod. “You still haven’t told the others?” When she didn’t reply, he continued. “Car, if ever there was a time to tell them—”

“I know.” Carmin’s eyes did not leave the clouds as she spoke. “The only thing it will accomplish is making our dear leader more reckless.” Her husband titled his head to the side, the sign he agreed. “It’s not like we can stop it happening.”

“True.”

“Have Hathy and Jay returned?”

“No.” A devious smile crossed Dan’s features. “Though I did hear a rumour in the camp about several advanced scouts being found dead. Mysterious, isn’t it?”

“Very mysterious.”

He pressed a kiss to her hair. “I came out here to say you’re on next watch.”

“Right now?”

“Right now.”

“And here I was thinking you were here to spend time with your beloved wife,” Carmin said with a sideways smile.

Dan laughed. “I swear on the Flame, I will take you out for a nice dinner when this is over.”

Carmin grinned at the brightness in her husband’s eyes. She wrapped her arms around him, his hands taking her waist as she kissed him. She buried her head against his shoulder, stealing warmth from his form.

“Dan?”

“Yes?”

“Do you really think she would—”

“I know she would.”

She sighed. “Remind me again why we couldn’t have a normal life. I would happily have a few kids running around our house by now.”

“Aren’t Hathor, Jay, Nikki, Leo and Amneris the kids running around our house? You know, along with their Aunt-Uncle Zoe and Aunt Kayla.”

“You know what I mean.”

Instead of answering, Dan kissed her again.

His hands left her waist as he made his way back into the tent. Carmin smiled after him. By the Flame, she loved that man with her whole heart. Even if he could be a pain at times.

Unsheathing her blade, Carmin begun the hunt for Nikki who’d taken the first watch of the day. She stopped her search only once to look up at the sky as the first drops of rains fell over the snow-covered hills.

It wasn’t long now.


“That’s one hell of a storm out there!” Nikki exclaimed, wringing out her dripping hair as she entered the tent. “Someone should tag out with Carmin. Fire magic is useless now.”

“You heard the woman, Zo,” Amneris said, not bothering to look over the table she, Leo, Dan and Colt stood over.

Zoe walked toward Nikki, raising her hand for a high-five as she passed. Then she was gone.

Nikki glanced over Amneris’ shoulder. They were going after a map. A bloody ancient map. Still, it looked a lot like the view outside. The rain would obscure the mountains if it came much heavier. Nikki hoped it wouldn’t though a sudden lightning flash said otherwise.

“Anything to report?”

Nikki swiped a half-eaten fruit from Leo, taking a bite before answering his question. “Aside from the general cold, damp and miserableness that comes with a rainstorm, nothing new has appeared.” Another bite. “Hathy and Jay must be doing a good job.”

“They are, but I’ve called them back.” Amneris planted her hands firmly on the table. “They won’t get much done now and I’ve got a feeling the rain will only get heavier.”

Nikki sighed. “Ever wonder why there’s always a dramatic rainstorm just before or during a major battle of sorts?”

“Yes!” Dan exclaimed. “What is it with that anyway?”

Amneris shook her head. She turned to Leo. “Get your people ready. The rain is perfect cover for Tara to do something idiotic.”

“That’s optimistic,” a voice from behind said.

Nikki spun to find the last person she expected. Kek. He was seated on a chair, hands tied behind him and legs tied to the chair with what looked like Amneris’ magic.

He gave her an awkward wave. “Yes, I am still here.”

“If Tara is gonna fuck up, now’s the time,” Amneris hissed at him. “She would do anything to impress her King. If he asks her to run, she’ll run the length of the planet at least three times.”

Kek considered this. “I mean, you’re not wrong.”

“Then shut up before I gag you again.”

Nikki sighed. To think those two were once friends! Her eyes met Colt. He merely shook his head. Don’t ask. Very well. Kek wasn’t the main focus anyway. He would probably be released to fight alongside them and run away. Oh, the fun Nikki would have hunting him down to bring back to Amneris as a New Years present. Assuming he ran. One could never be sure when it came to Kek.

Nikki moved to stand beside Colt. “You on babysitting duty?”

He nodded. “My days of battle planning have long since ending.”

“You always sound so old when you talk,” she said, resting a hand on her hip. “Why is that?”

He glanced at Amneris. “I can’t say. Not yet.”

Colt’s head whipped around to Kek. He was attempting to stand and failing miserably, his legs still tied to the chair. Colt pointed a dagger—isn’t that Amneris’ dagger?—at the man. “Sit.” He sat.

Nikki snatched the dagger from him. Yes, it was definitely Amneris’. She shoved it in his hand. “Where did you get this?”

“Amneris let me borrow it.”

“Uh, she never let’s anyone borrow this.” Her eyes narrowed, though she handed the dagger back. “There’s something you two haven’t told us.”

“I can tell you what it is!” Kek exclaimed, catching everyone off guard.

Amneris and Dad gave him an irritated look before going back to their hushed conversation. Nikki rolled her eyes.

Colt was glaring at him. “One more word and I will shove this up your arse.”

“He has my permission,” Amneris called over her shoulder.

Kek muttered something Nikki couldn’t understand. Whatever it was, it was enough for both Amneris and Colt to go to him. As one, they punched his face. As one, they returned to their original positions.

Nikki gaped. “Wow.”

There was definitely something they hadn’t told her. The others, excluding Kek, seemed just as clueless. Nikki’s gaze drifted to Amneris. What could possibly be so important that she would keep it from her bestest friend in all of Creation? It had to be something big. Nikki wanted to know. She would be sure to ask when this was over.

0