Chapter 63
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Amneris rode at the head of the—her—warriors on the back of her golden wai’u Aten. She stroked the creature’s neck to calm him. He’d never been one for battle but refused to fly away. Stubborn beast. Aten shook his head with a huff, spreading his wings once as though he could sense her thoughts. Amneris wouldn’t have been surprised if he could. On the other hand, he could’ve just been shaking the freezing rain from his form. It had only increased since they left the camp.

Colt gripped her waist from where he sat behind her. Amneris leaned back, trying to steal warmth from him. Amneris was one of the few people not in Lyriumian armour, the others being the Shifters and, for some reason, Colt. It was specially made for all climates. She didn’t like the feel. It was too heavy and really only accomplished classifying the dead.

Aten stopped, cocking his head to the side.

“What is it?” Amneris asked.

He shook his head and continued forward. Amneris shrugged away her worry. It wouldn’t be the first time her loyal wai’u became paranoid over nothing. Then again, he had senses she lacked. Perhaps it wouldn’t hurt to be on more alert.

Another wai’u, this one a mix of blue and green, trotted alongside them. He carried Leo and Nikki on his back.

“Something wrong?” Leo asked, pulling Cato back to Aten’s pace.

Amneris leaned forward to rest her head fondly on top of Aten’s. “You know how this one gets.”

Nikki snorted. “I can’t believe he hasn’t flown away yet.”

“I can,” Leo muttered.”

Amneris shivered. It wasn’t from the rain. She could feel something across the snow-and-grass covered plane. Her eyes narrowed. Shadows were approaching. No doubt the Terpolites.

She pulled Aten to a stop as a familiar dark energy appeared. She growled low at the approaching force. The Dark King himself was leading the assault.

Amneris found herself glancing at her Court. This would be their first battle of the Forgotten War. The Tylwaerdreath incident didn’t even begin to classify as one of the battles. More a small commotion. Amneris’ gripped Aten’s reigns tighter. The last time she’d been in a fight against Enliatu, she’d been in her early twenties.

“What now?” Nikki asked.

Amneris sighed. “Now we play a game of ‘who can break the shields first?’ Then we fight.”

Colt kissed her neck before slipping from the saddle. He was a ground fighter, always had been. “Try not to destroy the planet.”

She smiled. “No promises.”

Amneris moved ahead of the others, putting her in a similar position to Enliatu. This was the hardest parts. Their powers would be all but equal this time. It was entirely possible neither shield would break. Who knew what would happen then! Amneris let out a breath. No, she would make sure it was her who won this time. No way would she let Enliatu be the victor.

A flash of red light crossed the field, striking Amneris’ shield. She pushed back with her own power. Cyan and crimson light entwined in the dark sky as the two Core Guardians pushed against each other’s power with all their might.

Amneris’ form begun to glow as she sent more energy toward the enemy shield. She glanced up as she felt her own shield begun to crack under the strain. No, she told herself. Not this time!

A hand slipped into hers. Amneris didn’t need to look to know who it was. She grasped Colt’s hand and spiralled down into her power. He grounded her, kept her contained, in the moment. Amneris couldn’t go all the way, not yet. But she didn’t need to.

Amneris roared. Pure white light left her body, twisting to overtake both crimson and cyan,

The shields shattered simultaneously in an explosion of light.

Amneris hissed at a burning sensation on her left arm. She pulled up the sleeve of her leather jacket. Cyan markings in the Old Language dotted her dark skin over the tattoo. She pulled it down before anyone noticed. She couldn’t let anyone see the weakness. Especially not now.

Amneris twisted her power into a cyan sword. She raised it above her head, Aten rearing on his back legs. The warriors behind her cried out in response. As one, they charged forward.

Amneris held the sword out behind her as she approached the Terpolite army. She aimed for those running on the ground. Aten galloped straight over soldiers, striking them down with his front claws. The ones he missed, Amneris struck down.


Majority of the soldiers were aiming for Amneris. Leo and Cato galloped to catch up, Nikki having jumped off and shifting moments ago. He came up beside Amneris, slashing his gladii out beside him as Cato ran. They caught Amneris in seconds, covering her as she moved forward.

A roar from behind caught his attention. Leo risked a look behind. Nikki, in her sabre-tooth tiger form, was surrounded. He had to go help her! But what about—

“Go,” Amneris said. “I will be fine.”

Leo nodded. Cato made a sharp turn and the two rushed to Nikki’s aid. He channelled the small amount of power he’d been gifted upon turning immortal and sent the black energy toward Nikki. It struck down three of the soldiers, giving her the opening she needed to overpower those remaining.


Amneris and Aten continued forward. Something had riled the beast, Amneris realised. It didn’t take her long to figure out what. The Terpolites had wai’u of their own, and they weren’t so nice in their treatment. Amneris grimaced. She couldn’t hurt the beasts, but how was she supposed to take out the soldiers without doing so?

A familiar feeling came behind her. Hathor landed on the saddle, arrows already knocked in her bow. She fired. The arrows hit their marks. The soldiers fell to the ground, immediately being trampled by their beasts. The now free wai’u let out piercing cries and took to the sky, not looking back once.

“Nice one,” Amneris said.

Hathor grinned, spread her wings, and disappeared into the sky.

She wasn’t alone. Several winged warriors from both sides had done the same. Signs of the Terpolites in front of her taking off were obvious. Amneris moved her hand above her in a sweeping motion. A wave of energy shot down the group taking off, though they were quickly replaced. When she made to repeat the motion, Carmin and Dan appeared beside Hathor with an army of Dragonoids, Shifters, Fae and other flying species. They rushed into the frenzy. Amneris smiled. Yes, her people were fully capable.

Soldiers appeared around her; people actually stupid enough to think they could take her on. She laughed, releasing her sword. It wasn’t necessary now. She crossed her arms across her chest and felt her power building up. Amneris’ eyes shot open, glowing white. She cried out, spreading her arms wide. A wave of cyan light escaped her form like ripples on a pond. Each Terpolite soldier it touched turned to dust. The Lyriumian-Council warriors were unharmed.

Aten continued onward, aiming for Enliatu himself. Anyone who crossed his path was trampled by his hoofs, teared apart by his claws. Those who reached Amneris were taken down by her power.

Oh, she loved the thrill of going fast. The way the frozen air and rain bit into her skin. Never mind it was cold. Never mind she was in battle. The thrill was always there. Only a part of her was paying attention to the going ons around her. The rest of her was free.

Amneris’ magic danced with the elements, pausing to strike down enemies. It knew the difference between friend and foe. It had a mind of its own. Amneris didn’t have to think, to control. It knew what she wanted and did so without question.

More Terpolite warriors appeared ahead. Enough to be a nuisance.

Amneris raised her arms above her head. Her power surrounded her body like a tornado, twisting and turning. Stars and galaxies and the First Light herself appeared in Amneris’ power. It was beautiful. Strong and beautiful. And deadly.

Aten didn’t balk at her show of power. He trusted her.

Amneris lowered her arms and pointed a single finger at those blocking her way. Light short from her form. Ash was all that remained when the smoke cleared. Pain burned throughout Amneris’ body but it was dulled with a thought.

Ecstasy. That was what it felt like.

The battlefield became a blur as power rolled throughout her body. Was she controlling it or was it controlling it? Amneris didn’t care. It felt so good! Was this what awaited her in the future? Perhaps there would be something good to come from the immortality forced upon her so long ago after all. She was high on the feeling.

Someone called her name in the distance, or was it her mind? She couldn’t tell. It sounded again, closer this time.

Amneris tilted her head in the direction it came from. A blurred man rushed toward her, or was she rushing toward him? Hell, she could barely see the guy!

What was she doing again? She couldn’t remember. All she knew was the song and dance of the wind and the rain and her power. The endless well of power.

A hard force sent her flying from Aten, falling to the ground.

Amneris shook mud from her face. A blur of silver, gold and red towered over where she kneeled. Ah, yes. That’s why she was here.

A sharp pain appeared in her side. She was kicked into the air, falling to the ground just as fast.

Amneris’ vision cleared for a moment. Enliatu was grinning above her. He blurred again, her vision going back to that of light, of stars, of universes, of Creation itself. She could see everything and she could see nothing.

Enliatu laughed in the distance, or was it in front of her? “You took on Naiu’s power before your time. Such a mistake. You’re far from ready.”

No. She was in control in control in control—

“The power will overtake you.” His hand grabbed her neck, holding her in the air. “Poor little girl,” Enliatu crooned. “You were not strong enough back then. Now you are merely too young to control your power. I was expecting more of a fight. How disappointing.”

She was thrown to the ground. Amneris groaned as something hard hit her head. She tried to push herself to her feet. A foot appeared on her spine, pushing her back into the mud and snow. Amneris twisted her arm toward the Dark King. White energy blasted from her hand into his eyes. Enliatu recoiled with a cry of pain.

Amneris rolled to her feet. She summoned her staff to the hand behind her back, sending her power out across the battlefield. She could sense more presences coming toward them. Amneris glanced at the faint outline of Enliatu. He was mad.

Everyone rushing toward the pair was blasted away as both attacked each other with their power. The energy released was enough to take the edge off Amneris’ power. Her vision cleared. Her mind focused. She knew why she was here now.

Enliatu rushed toward her. Amneris ducked to the side as he threw a fist. Using her staff as support, Amneris spun around. The heel of her boot connected with his cheek. He recovered quickly, a sword appearing in his hand. It glowed with red energy as it came toward her—

Amneris caught the blade on her staff. She struggled against Enliatu’s strength. The wood of her staff begun to splinter. Not good! Amneris spun to the side, out from under the blade. It hit the ground.

Amneris looked between the scratch on her staff and her opponent, the staff’s crystals glowing in response to her power. “Do you have any idea how much it costs to fix this time?”

“I assure you,” Enliatu growled. “That will be the least of your concerns when I am done with you.”

Amneris laughed. “Prove it, asshole.”

Enliatu’s power flared.

Oh shit!

Before she could react, a beam of crimson energy struck her body. Amneris screamed as she went flying, hitting the ground, bouncing and skidding through the mud. Someone grasped her free hand, pulling her to a stop.

Amneris opened her eyes. Leo looked down at her, his obsidian eyes laced with worry.

Amneris sat up, trying and failing to shake mud from her hair. “To be fair, I did ask him to prove it.”

Leo merely sighed.

0