3. Off The Rails
2.7k 11 152
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Um..." I was staring at her again and had no idea what to say. "Ok... Thats um... Yeah. The thing is, I've known you for a decade, and you've always been a girl. I mean, you dressed like a guy and wanted people to call you Alex, but like... You've always been a girl."

She nodded slowly "Yeah. I remember that. And my parents seem to think I've always been a girl. At school everyone thinks it too. And my drivers licence and ID and stuff all says Alexis, everything says I'm a girl. Except..."

She hesitated, then sighed. "There's just stuff that doesn't make sense, you know? Stuff that's really confusing me."

"Like what?" I asked. It didn't matter that what she was talking about was impossible, I could tell she was upset and maybe even scared and that was more than enough for me to take it seriously. Like even if I didn't believe she'd ever been a guy, I figured I could help her deal with the emotions or whatever. Help her deal with the weird thoughts and stuff.

"Like since I woke up this morning?" She was speaking quietly again, like she was worried someone else might hear her or something. "Everything's been new. Right from the moment I woke up. Like in the shower, seeing myself naked. Washing my long hair. Getting dressed. Even sitting down to pee. It's like I'm doing all this stuff for the first time? First time I've ever worn panties and a bra. First time I've put on make-up. First time I've worn skinny jeans and this little top."

I nodded slowly, "Ok. But I mean, some of those things really are firsts right? I've never seen you wear make-up before. I've never even seen you wear clothes like that before."

I added quickly "Don't get me wrong, you look hot as hell..."

Damnit I realized I shouldn't have said that. I blushed, "Sorry I just mean... It's a good look. Like... Yeah. You look good. But it's the first time I've seen you like that."

Lexi shook her head "But like the make-up? It's the first time I've done it but I already knew how. And I already had lots of it. Same with the clothes, half my closet's full of girly things. Even dresses and stuff, but I don't remember wearing that sort of thing before. So why would I have them? And like the bra and panties? Why wouldn't I remember ever wearing them before? Why would that seem new when it's like, I'd be wearing that stuff every day for the past...I don't even know how long? I don't..."

She blushed brightly and looked at the floor. "I don't remember ever having a period before, but there's like, fucking pads and stuff in my bathroom under the sink. I'm eighteen, I must have had dozens of periods by now."

I blushed as well. I couldn't help her with that stuff though. She'd never spoken to me about that sort of thing. I assumed it was because I was a 'guy' and most girls didn't talk about that around guys.

"Lexi? Maybe you should think about seeing a doctor or something? Like if something's gone funny with your memory, that could be serious?"

She sighed and slumped back on the sofa. She had a really serious look on her face.

"I thought about that already. And if we haven't figured this out by the end of the weekend, then I'll definitely go see a doctor. But..." she took another deep breath. "There's more. If it was just like, me not remembering being a girl, then I'd probably think it was just memory problems or something, I don't know. But it's more than that."

I frowned, "What else?"

She shook her head, "Like, you know how our parents always signed us up for crap we hated, but they always thought was important so they forced us to do it?"

"Yeah?" I nodded. "What about it?"

Alexis sighed "If I was always a girl, how come I was in all the boys sports and stuff? Like I was the only girl on our soccer team? The only girl on our baseball team?"

She blushed a little brighter, "And why was I even in the scouts with you? Shouldn't I have been in girl guides?"

I shrugged, "I dunno, I guess your folks were open-minded people? And they let you do what you wanted, with the whole tomboy thing? Like wouldn't guides have made you wear a dress or something? Scouts let you wear pants."

She shook her head and sighed "Maybe. Do scouts even let girls join? I don't know. It's really confusing. I mean, I 'know' I'm a girl, but I remember doing all these stereotypical boy things. And I don't remember stereotypical girl things. Like I remember I was always Alexis, but I don't remember ever acting like a girl."

"Ok," I frowned. "I get this is weird for you and you're maybe experiencing some unusual stuff right now? But what if we look at this logically for a minute."

Lexi looked up at me with an expectant expression.

I said, "Whatever's going on, it's not possible for you to go from a guy to a girl overnight. Like what you're describing, that's not even just somehow changing your body. That's changing everything. Like your parents, me, the school, your ID. It's literally changing all of reality to believe you've always been Alexis."

Of course I didn't say it, but the thing I was thinking very loudly was if this sort of shit was actually possible, I absolutely wanted in on it. I didn't believe it of course, but it was a nice daydream. It was exactly the sort of thing I'd fantasized about a million times over.

She sighed "I know. I know it's crazy. I sound crazy. I feel crazy. I feel like I'm losing my mind. Except there's other stuff, that I can't explain. Stuff that's like, outside my own head but just as weird."

I was starting to get more worried for her. I grabbed my glass and drank the last of my cola then asked, "What else is going on?"

She grimaced, "The deja-vu stuff. Knowing stuff that's about to happen or whatever?"

I frowned, "That's just random coincidence or luck or something. How would that have anything to do with forgetting you're a girl or thinking you were a guy?"

Lexi shook her head "It's going to sound even crazier..."

"Hey," I gave her a supportive smile. "I'm here for you. Best buds, right? You can tell me anything."

She smiled weakly and explained, "I feel like whatever caused this, it happened later this weekend. Like maybe tomorrow, or Sunday? And somehow I'm reliving it, but different. Like... I was Alex, I was a guy, going into the long weekend. Then somehow I got bumped back to this morning and started over, but now I'm a girl."

She shrugged slightly, "That's why I keep knowing shit right before it happens. I remember it's already happened. Like Keebler and the test, and Brooks not showing up for class. Or Primo's being closed."

I shook my head "I mean deja-vu is like a normal ordinary thing, Lexi. It feels weird as heck when it happens but it's not like time travel or seeing the future or whatever."

She gave me an apologetic look and asked "Want me to prove it?"

"What do you mean?" I frowned. "Prove what?"

"Prove that I know stuff, because I've already experienced this." Her voice was soft and quiet again, and she sounded sort of nervous.

I was still frowning as I asked, "How could you prove it though? Like I mean, apart from knowing the lotto numbers or whatever. Like it would have to be something we could test, something to confirm you know stuff that hadn't happened yet."

She looked at me, then looked at the floor. She hesitated, then whispered "If I'm wrong, please don't hate me for this."

"I won't hate you Lexi," I tried to sound gentle as I said it. "You're not making any sense though, and I'm worried about you."

She nodded slightly but continued staring at the floor. She half-whispered, "You were about to tell me you're trans. You were going to tell me you're really a girl. That's what we'd be talking about right now, if I hadn't told you about all my crazy shit."

Time seemed to freeze after that. I'm sure my face went white as a sheet and my heart may have stopped for a few seconds. I definitely wasn't breathing.

"Are you ok?" she asked, sounding worried. "Fuck I'm sorry! I didn't mean to freak you out. If I'm way off then tell me. Or if you're mad, tell me. I just... I don't know what's going on. I don't even know what's real anymore."

I finally took a deep breath and put my hands over my face. I'm pretty sure I was shaking slightly as I rubbed my forehead.

When I could speak again I looked at her. I was still pale, my eyes were wide, and I was nervous as I asked "How? How could you possibly know that?!"

Lexi sighed and whispered "I'm sorry. It's like I said... All this shit's happened before. I'm reliving it or something."

I slumped back in the sofa and stared at the ceiling. "Holy fuck. This is insane. I... I can't believe this."

"I'm sorry," she apologized again. "It's true though, isn't it?"

"Yeah," I sighed. "It's true. It's totally not the way I planned on telling you though."

She apologized once more, "I'm sorry. If it's any consolation, it probably went more like you planned the first time around. It only went off the rails this time because I interrupted..."

Her voice trailed off as her eyes went wide and she gasped, "Oh fuck! I interrupted! I changed things!"

"Huh?" I was confused again, but I was still numb and not really processing stuff at the moment. "What's that mean?"

Alexis looked at me, "It means shit's not set in stone or whatever. Like whatever happened to cause this? It can be changed. Maybe it can be fixed!"

I rubbed my forehead again "I'm confused. You know what's going to happen, but you don't know how you got turned into a girl and sent back in time? Do you know when it happened? Or where?"

She shook her head "It's not like that. I don't remember the whole weekend ahead of us. I only remember stuff when there's a reminder, something sort of triggers the memory. Like Primo's, as soon as you said you were going to call them and get our usual, I remembered they're closed for some reason. I remembered we tried to get through for an hour before we gave up. And when you were going to come out to me? Your hand shook, you had a drink, took a few deep breaths. That reminded me what you were about to say."

She sighed, "But I don't know everything. I don't know what happens tomorrow or the next day. I don't even know what happens in ten seconds, unless something jogs my memory."

That brought another frown to her expression. "And since stuff's already started to change, since I'm already making changes, there's a good chance we won't stay on the same path. We may never figure out what the hell happened. Maybe we won't be able to fix things after all."

"You've said that twice, about fixing something." I looked at her and asked, "What do you mean? Fix what?"

She blushed, "I mean... Maybe I'm not supposed to be a girl? Like I said, I'm pretty sure I was a guy."

"Oh," I nodded slowly. "Right."

Of course it hadn't occurred to me she might not want to be a girl. It was like my wish came true but it missed me and hit my best friend by mistake. Assuming any of this was real. I still wasn't quite ready to believe that.

I had a lifetime of memories of her being Alexis, it was hard to accept all that was somehow wrong.

On the other hand, I wasn't doubting her weird deja-vu shit any more. I was sold on that, but that didn't necessarily mean the other stuff was also true.

I waffled back and forth on that in my head. What was more likely, what was less likely? She somehow got bumped backwards a few days and was reliving the same weekend over again?

Or she somehow got bumped backwards a few days to relive the same weekend, and was also miraculously transformed into a beautiful girl and the whole world was made to believe that's who she always was?

Either option was impossible. Which I guess meant both options were equally possible?

We were both quiet for a while, I was lost in these thoughts, I had no idea what was on her mind.

Finally Lexi broke the silence, "Would you tell me your real name?"

I glanced at her, then frowned. "You mean you don't already know it?"

She bit her lip and blushed. "Yeah. But I'd like you to tell me again. I don't want to take that moment from you."

My turn to stare at the floor and blush. "Chloe," I whispered. "My name is Chloe."

"That's a beautiful name, Chloe." Lexi said softly. "Thanks for sharing it with me."

If you're enjoying our work and you'd like to support us, please consider joining our patreon & get early access to new chapters!
https://www.patreon.com/purplecatgirl

152