Chapter 2 – School Years Part 1
2.5k 21 85
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I realized I never described Finn or Lara, so I will be fixing that in this chapter. Here are the models I am going off of:

Finn: (With purple hair instead of blue)

https://www.pngitem.com/pimgs/m/600-6004727_pokemon-trainers-fake-hd-png-download.png

Lara: (Pretty much a carbon copy of Serena, but with lighter blonde hair)

https://www.deviantart.com/chocomiru02/art/Pokemon-SWSH-Uniform-Girl-787666337

And just for fun, here is a pic of Pyra - albeit without the realistic sales:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/c4/c1/01/c4c1017c6f41cede98770d860f03688b.jpg

Chapter 2 – School Years Part 1

Cambridge House - 5 Years Later

"97" "Char"

"98" "Mander"

"99!" "Char!"

"100!!" "Mander!~~"

Pyra and I roll onto our backs panting from the exertion of 100 pushups. Now, to be clear, I am not forcing my Pokemon to do pushups with me. I started working out when I was 7 after remembering that in my past life I was a bit chubby. I have the chance now to learn from past mistakes, so I took it to heart. At first, Pyra was confused about what I was doing. Our routine since we met and became a team was School, training her to precisely control her moves until dark, then free time and lots of cuddling until bed. Outside of school hours, I almost never kept her in her Pokeball. Pushups, squats, planks, bicycles, jumping jacks, and weight lifting were not something most Pokemon were used to seeing, let alone doing...well maybe fighting types...but still, she was very curious about it.

The first few weeks, I could barely do anything and Pyra would just stare at me in confusion with a cocked head, but eventually, she seemed to catch on that this was training for me. She was already working hard with her own training after school, so when she first tried to join me I told her to stop and rest. She got a bit grumpy at this and after 3 days, ignored my order and joined me again. This is when I realized that Pokemon are just generally stronger and more energetic than humans...duh right? So she should be fine if she wants to join me I guess. My neighbor weight trains with his Machop almost every day after all! 

With that in mind, I went to ask Mr. Rook, my neighbor, if he would mind training me and showing me safe ways for Pyra to join in my workouts. To say he was ecstatic at the proposition would be an understatement. As stated previously I am part of a relatively wealthy family. My mother is in a high position at the university and my father is the lead engineer of the Pokemon League's R&D team for this region. With this in mind, we live in one of the richer gated communities of Pallet City called Mimeville. (If it isn't obvious based on the name, there is a security team of physic pokemon, lead by 5 Mr. Mimes, that guard and make the neighborhood super protected. The gates are mostly for show, but the shields that those Pokemon can put up are no joke.) My neighbor Mr. Rook, therefore, is all also super-rich. This is all to say that when Pyra and I showed interest in working out, we had no way of knowing that the muscle nut would spend hundreds of thousands of Pokebucks to buy us our own sets of workout equipment and tools, some made specifically for Pokemon, and offer to personally train us 3 times a week - all for free.

When we tried to deny him, he waved it off and said he always wanted to have a son to work out with, but he hasn't managed to get married yet (He is in his mid 30's or so). So he thought that this would be good practice for when he had his own kids. Really nice and cool guy. So, with my parent's permission, of course, Pyra and I would train with Mr. Rook and our new equipment three times a week. He showed us the correct ways to do the workouts I was already doing...(yeah turns out my form was shit and I probably would have hurt my back if I kept at it...) and also showed how Pyra could do them or alternate workouts she could do while I did mine, as well as showing us how to use the fancy machines he bought for us. These were put in a separate room of my house that my parents used to use for storage. 

It turns out that this was all Mr. Rook needed to find that special someone. ...Don't make things weird, I am not talking about me! About 4 months after we started, an old friend of my parents and ex-Team Rocket member named Melody visited our house. She had just gotten a job here in Pallet City and was staying with us until she got her housing situation worked out. As fate would have it, Mr. Rook ran into her in the hallway of our home after one of our workouts. The two started talking and dating and 3 weeks later Melody didn't need to find a new place to live. 6 months after that and they were married - Nice to see a good guy finding love...though they were really into PDA, which was awkward when she joined our workouts. There are mirrors everywhere in here! I can see you making out behind me, dammit! Still, I am happy for him.

Speaking of happy families, I remembered that in the anime James was estranged from his rich parents. I made the mistake of asking about my grandparents and this caused one of the only fights I remember my parents being in. Dad was a bit too stubborn to try and make up with them, but mom wouldn't have it. New life, new them, and it was time to mend the bridges if they could be mended. The fight went on for a week, but my mom won out in the end. The makeup part of the fight was particularly...loud...anyway, 2 weeks later and we were driving to meet my grandparents at their mansion. 

The reunion was awkward at first. My family met with his 2 brothers and 3 sisters and their families and mingled with polite conversation as we waited for my grandparents to arrive. When they did, there was a tense moment as James met eyes with his dad, but the tension melted away as my grandfather, Walter Cambridge, broke into tears and ran to hug his son. My grandmother, Margret Cambridge, was more subdued and chided my father for not coming sooner, but hugged him all the same. Seems women wear the pants in both generations...I like strong women too...what did that say about my future? 

As if waiting for this moment, my aunts and uncles joined in and there was a dogpile of crying blue-haired people. This lasted for a while, so I got to know my cousins better. Most were my sister's age (4 at the time), but one other was my age. Her name was Abigale, or Abby as she preferred to be called, and she was thrilled to tell me about her dream of becoming a Pokemon League announcer. She, like most on my father's side, had cyan-blue hair and emerald eyes and was quite cute. She had apparently already starred in some small movies and commercials and when I mentioned Lara, who had followed in her mother's footsteps of being an actress and singer, Abby nearly tackled me, begging me to introduce her to her "Idol." Was Lara really that popular? She was just a childhood friend to me. I did like some of her movies and songs, but they were a bit too childish for my tastes, not that I would ever say that to her! 

The family reunion went on for several hours and was very touching for my father who had been dreading this beforehand, but the most heartwarming moment happened when our large group moved outside. Now, if you are unfamiliar with the anime, you would not know that the Cambridge family was one of the top breeding familes for show and competition Pokemon. Specifically, Growlithes were their claim to fame. They are the only reputable breeders of Growlithes in the world and that meant that there were a large number of them out in the backyard of the mansion. Again, if you are unfamiliar with the anime, you would not know that James had a Growlithe as a child that he abandoned when he ran away from home. When our family entered the backyard and all the Growlithes and - their evolved forms - Arcanines raised their heads to see the group, one massive Arcanine in particular shot towards us at blinding speed. At first, we were worried that it saw us as a threat and was going to attack us, but as it bowled my father over and started licking his face and wagging its tail manically, we knew there was no threat. 

That Growlithe my father abandoned all those years ago not only remembered him but forgave him and showed all the love that dogs of my past life were known for. In fact, the Arcanine refused to leave my father's side for the rest of the day, and eventually, my grandfather laughed off the loss of one of his best stallions and went to retrieve its Pokeball before handing it to my father. I have never in my life seen such boyish delight from my father as I did while witnessing him play with his long lost friend. It even brought my mom, and subsequently, my sister to tears. Seeing this, a small Growlithe pup ran up to my sister Rose and started to lick her face and cheer her up. It was so cute and fluffy that it looked like a stuffed Pokemon plushy!

My grandfather decided to spoil his newly met granddaughter and gave her the Pokeball for that Growlithe as well. She had yet to start school, so she was beyond thrilled and jumped into his arms kissing his cheek to thank him before bundling up the fluffball in her arms, as if it were a baby, and running off to play house with the rest of the kids and their Pokemon. Grandpa, as he asked me to call him, offered to give me a Growlithe as well, but I just smiled at him and release Pyra from her Pokeball saying I already had the best fire type ever. Everyone "Ooo'ed" and "Aww'ed" at my preening Charmander and this was the first time I noticed that she was a bit different from other Charmanders.

More so than the light pinkish scales, she was about 4 feet tall, 2 feet taller than the other Charmanders two of my cousins had. She also looked bulkier and more intimidating than the rest, though to me she would always be my cute baby girl. She had such a commanding presence that several of the Growlithes and Arcanines came up to meet and talk with her in their Pokemon Language. Even my dad's Arcanine who was a male named Rex - real original dad... - and was easily one of the largest Pokemon there came up to chat with her. I was so proud that the hard work of my girl was paying off already! Grandpa rubbed his chin and asked me about my training regimen. It seems everyone, including my parents, were shocked at our rigorous training methods. I had thought my parents at least would know! Ditsy to the extreme it would seem.

Anyway, after thinking for a bit, Grandpa went back into the house and came back with a Pokemon Supplement Kit used for top competition Pokemon to help them grow or improve in certain ways. (It included the multiples of the vitamins from the games like Protein, Carbos, Calcium, Iron, and other boosting items.) My dad and mom were quite shocked by the gift as the kit was easily worth $150,000 Pokebucks (About 1,450 USD) but Grandpa just waved them off with a smile saying this was to make up for missed birthdays. I thanked him profusely and even had Pyra come over to thank him after explaining the gift to her. I am sure Mr. Rook will be able to tell us how best to use these in our next workout session. The reunion started to wind down and many teary "Goodbyes" and "Keep in touch"'es were had. Abby apparently was very serious about me introducing her to Lara and made me promise to give her information over.

Since then, we meet up with my grandparents, aunts, and uncles regularly for birthdays and other celebrations. We have become an even bigger and happier family and mine, in particular, gained 2 new Pokemon! Rex is always out of its Pokeball and acts as a guard dog for our house as well as a teacher for his daughter, who I found out later was the Growlithe Rose received and named Sophia. I did as Abby asked and gave her information to Lara and they seem to have become the best of friends. They have even starred together in some movies over the years and released a duo album that was pretty good. 

This was a long, but I think meaningful tangent. I was 10 now and our workout and training sessions had seen massive improvements in both of us. I was the buffest 10-year-old I have ever know and Pyra was now the record holder for the largest Charmander in Kanto at 5 feet tall. 

I roll over to my side and face my big Charmander Pyra before giving her a sweaty hug. 

I rest my forehead on hers and ask, "You ready girl? Our first tournament is about to start. We are gonna wipe the floor with Jeremy and his Charmander. What do you say?"

"Char...Charmander!" She remembers her old "Trainer" and looks away seeming a bit hesitant, before looking into my eyes and puffing up with pride after thinking of all we have accomplished together. She calls out an affirmative confidently - or so I think. I have gotten pretty good at reading her over the last 5 years, so I am pretty sure this is the gist of what she says, does, and thinks.

"That's my girl," I say as I kiss her equally sweaty forehead. "We got this."

"If you are done the romantic moment with your Pokemon, you should probably get ready." Says the voice of Lara behind me who is applying makeup in my bedroom standing mirror. 

I stand up and look at my pretty childhood friend. She stood about 4'7" with bright blonde hair and enchanting cerulean colored eyes. She wore her fashionable trainer getup of a blue skirt with a white undershirt tucked in, a blue crop top with the top half of a white Pokeball on the chest, matching blue spandex arm sleeves, blue and white sneakers with long white socks pulled up her legs, and a blue and white bow in her blonde hair. She looked like she was ready for a photoshoot...and that was because this getup was what she is wearing on the cover photo of the next issue of Jr. League Monthly, or so she told me. Like any good best friend, I planned on buying the issue as soon as it released to support her. 

Spoiler

Blonde girl in the middle as a reference:

https://cdn1.dotesports.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/03135525/image.png

[collapse]

I walked up behind her and gave her a light hug, pretending to wipe my sweat on her. She shrieked and playfully slapped my shoulder to push me away while giggling. "Do NOT get sweat on my white shirt, Finn." 

"Yeah, yeah. Get out." I say smiling back at her. "I gotta change."

"And I have to finish my makeup. Just do it in the corner, I don't care." 

"Listen, girly, that's my mirror!"

Instead of responding, she just looks back at me and sticks out her tongue before going back to applying...something to her eyes. I don't know makeup. Eye shadow? Mascara? I don't know, dude. 

I quickly change into my trainer clothes, ignoring Lara totally peaking at my muscled chest and abs, and go wash my face in my bathroom that is joined to my room. Why can't she do her makeup in here, I wonder...I sigh as I look myself over in the mirror. 4'5" with spikey purple hair and sapphire eyes are the first things I notice. I'm wearing comfy black athletic pants, a half orange half yellow hoodie, and comfortable new red and white sneakers.

Spoiler

Finn: (With purple hair instead of blue)

https://www.pngitem.com/pimgs/m/600-6004727_pokemon-trainers-fake-hd-png-download.png

[collapse]

'Ready as I'll ever be' I think to myself before turning off the bathroom light and leaving the room. I look over at my childhood friend again, applying lip balm close to the mirror and smile, thinking back on my time with the lovely, talented, and fierce trainer. 

Lara and I have always been close. Even back when we were babies, we would always play together and nothing changed when we got our Pokemon. She was actually my training partner over the last 5 years and we trained together 4 or 5 days a week. It was our new form of playing and I was honestly was lucky to have her. Pyra and Lara's Eevee, Grace, were also best friends and they often would play or cuddle together in the evenings after training. I look over to them cuddled up on my bed. So. Damn. Cute. (In case you are curious, my dad made a lightweight, insolated glass contraption with air holes to go over Pyra's open flame. She says it is comfortable enough and it is cool to the touch so she can easily cuddle up with me, Lara, or Grace. Dad even sold the rights to them and now our family makes more money than ever.)

Focusing back at my celebrity best friend, I continue to reminisce. Lara would go off for filming, modeling, or singing rehearsals for a couple of days during the week, but when she got back, she was the same Lara I had always known. I mentioned earlier that I wasn't really aware of how popular she was. This is because she never acts like she is a celebrity. She is the exact same person she has always been and I really appreciate that about her. To me, she will always be my best friend first and foremost. 

The only thing we don't do together is to work out. I asked her if she wanted to in the past, but she refused me saying she had her own workout routine she did with Eevee and her mom in the mornings. So she tends to go home or just wait in my room watching TV while Pyra and I workout after training our Pokemon together. We are over at each other's houses so much that we each have our own spot at one another's dinner table! Her parents love me and mine, her. It is not uncommon for us to be found cuddling with our Pokemon or asleep on a couch together late at night after watching a movie or TV program. A picture of this scene snagged by her mom Serena is one of her most liked Pokegram pics. (We are 10 and under in these scenarios, so keep your head out of the gutter!) This happens so much, in fact, that our mom's often joke about planning our wedding.

In each of these cases, I stay quiet, playing dumb, but Lara always responds with a smile, and by saying, "That's for the future." I will not be a dumb protagonist that ignores the feelings of the girls around me, but honestly, I am 10 and I don't have those kinds of feelings yet. So I just give her all the love I can as a friend and promise myself not to fight it if something develops between us in the future. 

At school, I ignore most of the other kids, so I've always missed the way they idolized Lara. I was not trying to be cool or brooding or anything like that, but some of their conversations were just too silly to take part in...despite this, I find myself getting into it and acting just as childish whenever we talked about Pokemon and training. Like I mentioned before, I AM a kid. Just one with a bit more advanced thinking process and memories of a past life. I still lose myself in being a kid all the time, especially around Lara and her friends. Speaking of friends, I guess I got grandfathered into the cool group with Lara and her 3 girlfriends Kimmy, Jessica, and Courtney. They are cool, but only Lara and I actually hang out a lot. 

Kimmy, a redhead with long wavey hair and green eyes, was a model, Jessica, a greenhead? (she has grass-green hair, okay?) with a pixy cut and deep blue eyes, was a singer and athlete, and Courtney, a brunette with long silky brown hair, rimless glasses, and amber eyes, was a genius IQ science geek. I more or less just tagged along with them and kept quiet, but whenever they had questions about Pokemon or training, I would become much more animated and involved in the conversation. I built up the reputation of being a Pokemon expert in the group and they all started calling me Professor as a joke. And since the cool kids called me it, the rest of the school soon followed.

It wasn't that I was an expert, but instead of watching dumb children's shows and movies, except for Lara's, I would watch interesting documentaries and read training guides or forums to hone my teachings for Pyra. It was fun to learn and I was a bit obsessed with it. Lara, being the sweetheart she is, was often the subject of my "Random Pokemon Facts," as she calls them. She nods sarcastically, but the smile on her face is always genuine whenever I talk about Pokemon, training, and things I am passionate about. She will also be the first to praise my methods as she and Grace are a scary duo to contend with due to my suggestions on training and tactics. Honestly, she is the only one I am worried about beating in this upcoming tournament. 

Speaking of which, Lara turns and catches me smiling at her. She smiles back and shakes her head. "We really need to work on your fashion choices."

"I like my clothes, thank you very much!" I harumph and playfully scowl at her. 

She just hums and smiles at me walking up and grabbing my arm. "Come on! We only have an hour before the opening ceremony."

"Well, we can't have the musical guest showing up late, now can we? Let's be off, my lady! I will protect you to the best of my humble abilities while I escort you there safely!" I say dramatically while retrieving our Pokeballs on my desk.

"My hero." She says flatly while rolling her eyes.

"You girls ready for your big debut?" I ask the resting Pokemon on my bed.

"Char!" "Vee!" They both exclaim as they yawn and stretch cutely. 

"Alright, here's to the first leg of our Pokemon Journey!" I beam a smile at Lara while waggling my eyebrows. She just shakes her head with a smirk and leads me out of the room by my arm.

Thanks for reading everyone. I am not the best at spelling and grammar, so please let me know if you find any errors! I am always open to feedback. =D

85