Chapter 14 – Battles & New Friends Part 2
1k 6 54
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hey everyone! I had my first 1-star rating bomb. =/ If you are enjoying this novel and have a few seconds to leave a rating or a heart below, I would really appreciate it. Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy this chapter!

Chapter 14 – Battles & New Friends Part 2

"Hey, Lara?"

"Yes, Finn?"

"Are you seeing what I'm seeing?"

"If you are also seeing a 40 ft tall, shinny hunk of nope, then yes. Yes, I am."

We glace at each other and smile.

"Can you imagine getting that as an engagement gift?"

"Pretty sure my whole family would have had to marry you. Dad included."

"Guess I am glad I dodged that bullet."

"Indeed, mom said dad is a bit of a clingy lover."

"Any hope it's made out of cubic zirconia like your engagement ring?"

"I feel like a very important subject was just introduced and glanced over as a joke, care to elaborate on that last point?"

"Sure, babe, I was just wondering if the Onix was made of fake diamonds or-"

"If both trainers of Ketbridge are done with their slapstick comedy routine, may we return to the battle?" The announcer says in an exacerbated tone. 

Lara and I laugh and bow to the crowd who claps along and cheers for us. Omar and Selena just shake their heads, smiling all the same.

"Alright, back to the action, folks! Selena has a variant Cloyster, Omar has a variant Onix, Finn has his original Jolteon out, and Lara has an evolving Abra...speaking of which, hasn't it been over a minute since it started evolving? This is one of the longest evolutions I have ever seen! I hope there aren't any issues..." The announcer shares her concern and it is matched by the crowd. 

I raise my hand towards the 'Evolving' Celeste in a question for Omar and Selena. They both nod and look over worriedly at the white shining Pokemon. I rush over, onto the battlefield, and all of the Pokemon stop their intimidation acts and relax as they wait for whatever is going to happen. Angie rushes up to me - though she was technically supposed to stay in the same spot, it doesn't seem like our opponent's mind - and yips in concern towards Celeste. I roll my eyes.

"Celeste, Pokemon don't normally take this long to evolve! What are you doing?" I whisper urgently.

{Picking a color scheme...almost done.} Was her response.

"Color scheme? What are you talk-"

But I am interrupted as the flashing finally stops and the white light dies down. What greets me is something so surreal, I thought I was tripping on bad mushrooms for a second. Celeste evolved into a Kadabra, but not only did she give herself a variant black and pink color pattern replacing the yellow and purple one of a normal Kadabra. Not only was she nearly 5 feet tall. Not only was she radiating intense psychic power. No, that would have been expected and easy to move on from. The thing that has everyone's mouths hanging open is the designs all over her skin. 

"Celeste...what...?"

{I picked it from Max's memories! It is called Candy Skull and I thought it would look super awesome, does it look cool!?!}

"I...whoa...yeah, that is badass, Celeste...but...I guess we are giving up on keeping you out of the spotlight..." I finish with a sigh.

As she said, this black with pink accents 'Kadabra' is covered head to toe in bone, flower, diamond, heart, and skull tattoos. The tattoos are in either a white color on her black skin or a powder blue on her pink skin. This all culminates at her head, which is entirely covered in a white skull, full face tattoo outline with white, pink, and powder blue designs that accent inside and all around it. She looks both beautiful and scary as hell. 

Spoiler

Here is the design idea if you are unfamiliar: (Obviously, there isn't a picture of a Kadabra like this, but I would be happy to add it to the chapter if a fan made it though! haha)

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/05/93/d7/0593d7382b1b0a9e9b46262425d4ea2e.jpg

[collapse]

A brief moment of silence follows before - *Squeal* "Celeeeeeeeeste~~~~!!!!" A completely enamored Lara picks up and hugs the unique Kadabra with a spin. I am nearly kicked in the face by Celeste's now flailing feet, but dodge back and smile at the two. Selena runs past me and up to Lara and they start talking, complimenting, and - with Lara's permission - hugging the happy Celeste. Omar walks up to me with a baffled smile and I notice both the Onix and Cloyster have moved in for a closer look as well.

"I...I have never seen anything like that. She almost looks like a Duskull but they don't have all those patterns..." He comments deep in contemplation, "Where did you get that Abra, anyway?"

Good thing I have been preparing for this question.

"I found her a couple of nights after we set out. She was just wandering near our cabin and looked hungry. I offered her some food and she wanted to join our team...I never could have expected..." I trail off dramatically, doing my best to act sincerely.  

Omar just grunts once, claps me on the back in congratulations, then moves back to his side of the field. The Pokemon follow and Selena rushes back soon after with a passing, "Congrats!" Lara and I make it back to our sides, and I have to order Angie back because she is too obsessed with looking over her sister. I like to encourage a family setting on my team and Lara agrees. All our pokemon are going to be brothers and sisters of a giant Pokemon family, regardless of their species. A bit sappy, sure, but this is the way I want my team dynamic to be. Nothing builds friendship and trust like a good family setting. 

"I...Okay...looks like we are back from a brief congratulatory intermission, folks...It appears that the Abra was a variant Pokemon as well, and one of the most unique looking ones I have ever seen... Three variant Pokemon are on the field! Will this evolution be enough to win the battle for Ketbridge or will the combined might of two variants from Cerulison be enough to win the day?" Melissa says as she tries to center herself back on announcing the match. She gets there in the end. 

"Are both sides ready to continue?" She asks, then when we all nod she says, "Then let the battle resume!"

Again orders are shouted from both sides. Angie starts it up with a wall of Protect over Celeste followed by another Helping Hand. She is not likely to stay in for long, as she is not quite powerful enough yet, but she can still help and do the best she can. Celeste goes next, launching a massive Energy Ball at the towering crystal Onix. When the move charges briefly, all the tattoos on her body glow the same greenish color making her both fucking awesome as a teammate and hauntingly scary as an opponent. The move slams into the Onix and a few small cracks appear, but that is it.

'Shit...that was a super-effective move...just how tough is this thing?'

Cloyster responds by sending out a series of earthen Spikes all around Angie. She is all but trapped at this point. The Onix burrows underground in a massive hole using Dig. 

'Shit shit shit...Onix has a tremor sense ability...this is spiraling out of control.'

I share a glance with Lara, who nods. Another round of Helping Hand into Energy Ball is launched into the Cloyster and we finally get some luck as this appears to do massive damage to its outside shell. It retaliates by launching a brutal Payback at Celeste that shatters her Protect wall and slams her to the ground. To top off the double criticals, another one is landed as Onix explodes out of the dirt sending an already fainted Angie high in the air. I point her PokeBall at her and catch her in it before she slams into the ground. 

"What a furious turn of events! The Jolteon finally goes down and Finn has to select his last Pokemon, I think we all know who this will be." The announcer goads. I give Angie a few praises from her Pokeball and reach for Pyra's Pokeball as well. She is close to evolving...could she do it in this fight? That would give us the win for sure...but I can't rely on that...

"Finn releases his massive, pink Charmeleon! This is history in the making, folks! This is only the third duo battle in the history of the league to feature 4 variant Pokemon! Pyra is recorded as the largest Charmeleon to date, but will this Pokemon swap be enough to change the flow of battle?"

The next few minutes were a brutal slugfest of moves. Pyra boosted her attack with Dragon Dance and then went in for a savage Metal Claw against the Onix. Meanwhile, Celeste and Cloyster continued to trade powerful Energy Balls and Paybacks. Both used Rest to regain health and came back swinging within a minute. The Onix tried to use Dig again, but Pyra used it as well and they proceeded to have a small bout underground which resulted in a large gout of fire shooting out of the hole Onix burrowed into. It leaves the hole screeching out its pain and looking decidedly less lustrous.

The battle took a turn for the worse as a Payback followed by a well timed Rock Tomb knocked out Celeste. She was powerful, but still young and didn't have the power levels of the other Pokemon around her. This, thus, put her at a disadvantage in HP and other stats.

"And it's down! The newly evolved Kadabra goes down after a devastating combo of attacks. Ketbridge is left with only one Pokemon remaining!"

Celeste fought hard and got the Cloyster 1 step from being knocked out itself. Pyra moved in to finish the job. She landed a savage Thunder Punch through the shell and onto the Cloyster's unprotected body. This sent it over the edge and into a blissful sleep, but in a last bid to damager Pyra, it's spikes released a stream of bubbling Toxic liquid. These got into the wounds Pyra received breaking through the tough shell and she roared in agony.

"Another goes down! Now we have 1 Pokemon remaining on both sides! Omar's Onix is suffering the effects of burn and looks to be barely hanging on, but Finn's Charmeleon is looking just as bad, having been poisoned in the last exchange with Cloyster. How will this epic battle end?"

'Come on, girl. You got this. I believe in you!'

I send my wishes to Pyra as I yell out what will most likely be the final attack. Omar echoes my shout and orders his Onix to do something as well. I am too focused on Pyra to pay attention to what he said. Both Pokemon run towards each other across the heavily damaged battlefield and everyone holds their breath. Pyra's claws shine in a metallic sheen and Onix's skull crest glows white as they pick up speed and charge at one another.

One thing that the games and anime barely ever commented on or showed was the effects the environment or Pokemon themselves had on moves. For instance, using a whirlpool in the ocean would make the move much stronger. Stronger still if the Pokemon was large and can kick up more of a current. Certain aspects of physics were brushed aside by moves or Pokemon special abilities, but this did not mean they didn't exist. Why is this important? Because when a 1000 lb Pokemon uses Take Down, the momentum and the velocity of the attack is multiplied dramatically by the weight of the Pokemon. Onix, because of simple physics and gravity, was a team wiper. 

Omar's Onix slammed into Pyra as she grazed her Metal Claws across its crystalline form. But gravity and momentum are bitches and the force of the hit from the enormous Pokemon didn't allow for Pyra's attack to hold much power if any. Instead, my poor baby girl was bodily thrown to the ground and pinned under Onix's massive weight eliciting a loud "CRACK" that echoed across the now silent field. I couldn't even see the damage due to Onix's form blocking it. As it slowly slithered out of the way, I saw something that would haunt me for years to come. Pyra...Pyra was broken...

Her chest was caved in, her arms and 1 leg were bent in weird angles, and blood poured from her mouth, eyes, and ears. 

'If I was a protagonist, this is where she would evolve and win me the day...if I was...Pyra!'

"PYRA!" I yell and bust onto the field. I wave my hand at the ref and slide on my knees in front of my bloodied Pokemon. She is wheezing and her pupils are dilated. 

'No...no no no nononononono'

"Hang in there girl, I will fix you up in no time," I say, tears filling my eyes. I fish out my own Full Restore, fuck the cost. I spray nearly a million PokeBucks worth down her throat and across her body and watch in morbid fascination as bones fuse back together and her chest was restored with a loud, "Pop!" She takes several deep breaths and turns her head to me. She must have seen something in my expression because hers changed to one of consoling and comforting.

"I'm...alright, Finn. Just...need to...rest..." She smiles weekly at me before succumbing to the sweet oblivion fogging her eyes. I hold her in my arms crying as the announcer is shouting something or other and the crowd around us explodes into applause. 

'I lost.' I think, depression taking hold of me for a second. I had lost before against my parents, Mr. Rook, Lara, and Ash on several occasions. Ash even seemed to take some sick pleasure in crushing my team...It never affected me before. But...but this is official! This is my first official loss! On the day that I started too...Am I...Am I a bad trainer? Is my dream a lost cause...?

Then, like the beacon of light she always is, Lara is at my side hugging me and holding me close, whispering comforting things in my ear. I take a deep breath and release it through my clenched teeth.

'No. Each loss is a milestone to improvement. Each defeat, a step on the path to success.' I speak my motto.

I know this. I have known this since I was little. It is the remnants of Max that drive me to a bitter depression at the thought of losing in a children's game. This world isn't a game, a show, nor a book. He wasn't from a world where this is common. I grew up all my life knowing I will lose and probably several times over my career. It will simply temper me and my team to be stronger. Max is gone. I am Finn Cambridge, and I am okay with losing. Let this be the moment in my career that molds the connections I form with other trainers and shows we are good sports. I am gonna lose and I need to get the fuck over myself. I am not the best, but that is what I am working towards. It is okay to lose.

I rub my eyes again and let Pyra into her Pokeball. I lightly brush Lara off me as I stand. She rises next to me looking unsure as I face the two trainers who also are looking nervous and unsure. The audience around us quiets down again.

'I am not Jeremy. I can do this with grace and good humor.'

I hold out my hand. "That was a hell of a battle and you gave me quite the scare at the end. Looks like the gig is up, I am ousted as a sap when it comes to my Pokemon... But next time," I smile and pull Lara into my embrace still holding my other hand out to them, "We will be the ones to come out on top."

Omar and Selena smile as well and Lara and I shake each of their hands. The audience's applause is deafening and we all turn to wave at the crowd. 

"What an astounding end to an amazing match! I daresay this battle will be a favorite for trainers around the world!" Melissa continues her closing remarks as the invisible shield is let down by her tired-looking Hypno.

The crowd immediately swarms us and we are all subjected to another half an hour of meeting fans, well-wishers, new challengers, and signing tons of autographs. We break away from the crowd and ask Omar and Selena if they want to join us heading to the PokeCenter and then get something to eat. They agree and we walk back into the city together talking animatedly about the match. 

* | * | *

"I swear, if one more girl comes up and tells Finn how amazing and sensitive he is, tries to give him their number, or tries to touch his chest again, I am gonna slap a bitch." Lara grumbles past a mouthful of fries. 

We all laugh and I shake my head in mock sorrow and concern, "Aww~~, Is my poor Lara-bear jealous of my fans?" 

She glares daggers up at me from where we sit in the fast-food burger shop. I respond by pulling her chin up, kissing her quickly, and throwing her a confident wink. 

The battle was just as big as we thought it would be. It was trending on almost all social media platforms and Lara and I had gotten an angry call from our manager, Rhonda, for not letting her know about it. She was just upset that we didn't use it to its full potential, or so she says. Omar and Selena's PokeGram page had gained thousands of followers and they were thrilled. I was still not really sure why that was such a big deal, but Omar explained that it was more than just cute pictures. It lead to sponsorship deals and other positive attention across the world. I couldn't argue so just let Lara know she could handle it as she saw fit. Miss me with that shiz, I have other things to focus on... 

To Lara's point, an edited clip of the battle was made from when Pyra was injured, me sliding in to save her, crying over her, and then smiling down at her when she was okay. This clip was trending even more than the battle itself and girls kept accosting us on the street trying to win my attention. My phone was blowing up with DMs and Lara had confiscated it from me once I opened one and it was a pic of a scantily dressed woman. I never knew her to be the jealous type, and I may or may not be having a bit too much fun teasing her. She even reposted the video and captioned it, "I am so proud of my sensitive guy~~!" The hint, much like everything else about Lara, was not subtle. 

Our Pokemon would take a few hours to heal up at the PokeCenter, so it was just the 4 of us eating and chatting. They told us their next stop was Sakura Town, a couple of miles west from here. It was a hot spring resort town mainly and didn't have a gym, but Omar and Selena were just going to relax. Apparently, they had a huge festival going on for the Sakura trees blooming. I had to remind Lara of our timeline for recorded gym battles and promise her several times that we would visit the following year after we finished our Jr. League Route. She was slightly mollified by me suggesting it might be a good spot for our honeymoon.

After eating and talking for a bit more, we split up with hugs and well wishes. Rivals, we may be, but it looks like we don't need to be ones with animosity. We agreed to battle again sometime and make it an event. Maybe even host our own couples tournament and try and get PokeGram as a sponsor. Again, not really my bag, but Lara seemed excited so I was okay with doing what made her happy. Besides, if I got to battle strong trainers then no one loses in the end. 

"Can I see my phone real quick?" I ask Lara as we walk arm in arm down the bustling city streets.

"Why?" She asks with a dangerous edge to her voice. I just laugh and kiss her forehead. 

"It's 2:30 and I need to call the gym to let them know we are on our way. We are picking up my next Pokemon, remember?" I smile down and my fiance.

She grunts, in a very unladylike way, and hands me my phone. I notice I have 142 unread DM's. Man, these trainer ladies must be desperate for sensitive men... I didn't even know what a DM was until today...

I call the gym and let them know we are on our way and Lara confiscates my phone again. I know that this would piss off most guys, but honestly, I just find it cute the way she pouts and looks at the thirsty comments women sent. 

"I hope you know I was kidding about the thing earlier. I didn't expect it to suddenly be so...likely to happen..." She grumbles and it takes me a second to realize what she is referring to.

When I do, I stop in our walk and cover my burning cheeks with my hands, "Lara, I never asked-"

"I know, I know. Just making sure you don't get any ideas Mr. Popular. It was always hard keeping girls off you before...now, I will need to approve and vet them before we even consid-"

"Hey look! It's the gym!" I shout loudly, pointing at the orange roofed structure in front of us and doing my damnedest to change the subject. 

She glares at me but doesn't comment further. We head inside and are greeted by an old man in a brown suit and a top hat.

"Hello, youngsters! Are you here to challenge the gym? We are completely open and have no reservations all day, so we can get you in as soon as you want! I can even give you some tips on ways to beat the gym, you know, insider information!" He greets us excitedly and whispers the end part like it is a poorly kept secret. 

"Hello, thank you, but not today. I am actually here to pick up a Pokemon I purchased from Lance." I answer with a smile.

His face falls and he sighs heavily. "Damn...they are gonna shut us down if we continue to only have 2 battles a month. And...can I ask you to...not?"

I raise my eyebrows at that, "I already paid for it, so I am definitely going to get my Pokemon today." I say firmly and confidently.

"Ah, of course, of course. Sorry... it's just that Master Lance is...not great with money. He seems to run our gym's reputation through the mud whenever he gets big payouts like this...but that is not your problem. Sorry, again. Ignore this old man."

I did so and walked further in to a reception area he pointed me to. I know Lance is a drunk and a layabout, but that isn't my problem. I am here for a variant Pokemon that has been waiting for a loving family for 3 years. I will not be swayed on this. 

A pretty lady in her early 20's is sitting behind the desk and she looks down at her phone, up at me, then down at her phone again before blushing slightly. "H-Hello Mr. Cambridge! It is an honor to have you here. If you will just follow me to the back, I can get you some refreshments and we can wait for Master Lance together. I have some questions I would love to ask you about your Pink Charmeleon. Your...guest...can wait here." She shoots Lara a catty smile and reaches for my arm.

'Is this really happening right now? Did I step into a harem anime setting without me noticing?' I think in bewilderment. I have no idea why girls are so into me all the sudden, this didn't happen in school at all? Let me be perfectly frank: I. Do. Not. Want. A. Harem. Lara is all the woman I will ever need. 

The love of my life in question growls at the other woman in a fake cheery voice and with a fake smile, "Hi! I am Finn's Fiance, Lara. I will be going where he goes. Thanks!"

"Oh my, where are my manners, of course, his current fiance may come as well! Right this way!" She smiles and leads us to a door to the back room.

I feel a headache coming on as Lara tightens her grip on my arm, her teeth grinding. I look at her with a raised eyebrow and she ignores me. 

'Whatever, let's just get this over with.'

The next 20 minutes are agonizing for me. Lara and I sit on a couch, her practically sitting on top of me despite the couch's size. Across from us sits the receptionist, who we found out was named Margret, sipping tea and continuing the battle of passive-aggressive comments with Lara. I keep getting asked questions and Lara keeps answering for me, to which the receptionist keeps replying cattily. I am honestly starting to get pissed off when the door on the other side of the room opens. 

A fat man with a balding head and bulging stomach greets us as he comes in, "Terribly sorry for the wait! Rachel, be a dear and fetch the Pokemon in question for me. You were here for the...Bagon right?"

Margret glowers at the fallen former champion and says, "They are here for the variant Dratini, and please try to remember my name. It's Margret, Uncle Lance. I've worked with you for over 6 years now."

"Margret, my dear niece, I didn't know you were working today! Sorry about that, sorry. I thought Rachel was working the reception desk today."

Gritting her teeth in clear fury, Margret responds, "Rachel quit last spring due to the sexual harassment lawsuit, remember?"

'Ok...I am starting to understand a bit more why she is how she is.' I think to myself. Things are never as plain as they seem. Lara seems to agree and eases out of her attack mode a bit. 

With genuine shock on his face, Lance responds a bit slowly, "Ah...right. Always hated that bitch. Sorry about that sweetie, can you go pick up the Bagon now?"

"Dratini!" She shouts and storms out of the room in a huff.

Yeah... let's leave here as soon as possible. 

"While we wait, do you want me to autograph anything? I do it cheap for only $20 Pokebucks! Quite a steal for something from one of the first Champions in the Pokemon League!" He offers. There is no hint of the strong and just man of the past...or maybe this is how he always was...

"No, that's okay. Just the Pokemon will do." I say, trying to get through this without engaging him too much.

"Right, no problem! Want to hear some stories from my past? I once single-handedly defeated Giovani of Team Rocket! That is quite the story."

"No thanks," Lara says disinterestedly. 

"Ah! Such a stunning young woman! What is your name miss? Do you have any interest in working for a Champion?"

I bite back my rage as Lara pats my arm. "No thanks," she says again simply.

"Ah...of course...no problem." He says and pulls out a gross looking handkerchief to dab away the sweat on his brow. 

"Now all we need to discuss is the matter of payment. I believe this Dratni was slotted for 15 million. Quite a steal for a rare variant Dragon Pokemon!" He answers, greed tinging the corners of his eyes as he rubs his hands together.

"It was 10 million and I already paid you," I say, feeling my blood start to boil. 

"Ah! Sorry, we just raised the price. Do you have the other 5 million on you now?" He says with a piggish smile.

"Listen here-" I start, ready to get into a fistfight with this hasbeen as the door opens and I freeze in my sentence. 

Margret is walking into the room with s scowl on her face and a small cage. Inside sits a neon blue Dratini, obviously way too big for the cage. It looks healthy enough, but the sight makes my heart stop and my blood run cold.

"What do you think you are doing?" I ask, rage and fury masked by a cold and low voice. 

"What do you mean? I am providing you your Dratini! Now if you can just pay 5 million more-"

"Why the fuck is it locked in that small cage?" I explode. "Do you not realize how harmful that is for it!?! How illegal this is!?! What the fuck is wrong with you!" I stand up and am only stopped from tackling the man by Lara physically pulling me back with all of her weight.

"Finn, stop! We can go to the police later. Let's just get out of-"

The comically scared and vulnerable look on the ruined champion's face...calms into a winning smile.

"You pass."

Lara and I stop short and look up at him in confusion.

Margret undos a latch on the back of the cage and the Dratini pops out and winds itself around her affectionately. She pats its head as it nestles into the crook of her neck.

Lance reaches down and...pulls off his belly? What the fuck...wait...what?

Stepping out of the fat suit and ripping off the very detailed fat mask and bald cap, an older and much more muscular version of Lance from the games, anime, and manga is now standing before us shirtless. He walks to a cubby on the side of the room and pulls out a shirt to put over his bare muscled chest. He fixes his perfect, and not at all balding, orange hair back to an acceptable style and turns to us with a wide beaming smile. 

"Arceus, I hate that fucking suit. Now, let's talk for real Finn Cambridge & Lara Ketchum."

54