Chapter 16 – Viridian Forest
1k 13 44
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 16 – Viridian Forest

The next day, Lara and I decided to split up for a bit. She was doing a fan meetup and karaoke event Rhonda had roped her into and also wanted to go to get her hair cut before we set out for Pewter City. She was getting ready for her event, so I told her I would help book her appointment and surprised her with a full spa day at the best Salon & Spa in the city after her event. Hair, nails, massage, ...whatever else girls do at spas?, all of it. I made the lady on the phone very happy for getting the super deluxe package and dropping nearly $52,000 Pokebucks (~$500 USD). I even pre-tipped them $10k Pokebucks (~$100 USD) so that they would treat her well and give her their best...spa person? In case it is not obvious, I am not an expert.

Lara squealed in delight and asked if I was joining. I laughed at her, to which she pouted, and told her I was heading to the Viridian Forest to pick up my next Pokemon. She shivered and thanked me for not making her go with me. She would need to get over her fear of bugs eventually, as she was sure to face them in battle...but then again, Grace could just Fire Blast them...so maybe not. Anyway, we agreed to meet up again for dinner at a buffet-style restaurant that catered to humans and Pokemon. When I told Pyra about it, she started drooling something fierce. She could eat. A lot. So this was like heaven for her.

I asked Celeste if she wanted to accompany me or Lara today and she responded with,

"Mew!" {Of course I am going with you, Finn, I am your guide and partner, remember?}

Ah! So she is my Pokemon after all! I wiped a single tear away as I smiled at her.

"Mew..." {Besides...That's where Thorn is going...} She finishes with a blush to her cheek and a wiggle dance midair.

Hey! You are only going for Thorn! Give me back my tear! 

I sigh and shake my head at her antics. Thorn, for his part, either ignored her looks or was fine with her staring at him. He also always answered her whenever she asked him questions, no matter how silly they were. He really is too cool...

"Alright, team," I announce to all the Pokemon and they turn to face me, "We are splitting up for the day, so be sure to give some last goodbyes to Lara, Grace, and Jeffery. We will see them tonight, but everyone loves knowing you will miss them." I finish with a smile, scooping Grace up into my arms and rubbing her belly where she likes it. She responds with a yip of alarm, but eventually settles and even licks my face a time or two. The rest say their goodbyes for the day, I remind Lara to pick up a Hard Hide Treatment Kit for Jeffery, - these are needed to trim and shape the hides of Pokemon that form natural armor like rocks or trees. Think of them like nails or a horse's hoofs. They need treatment and trimmings every once and a while and the biker asshole never did it for Jeffery - and I give Lara one last kiss before we set out.

On the way, to Route 2 I stop by a local mart to pick up a bottle of  Super Repel (200 uses), an Antidote bottle (500 uses), and some Bug Pokemon food pellets. The Antidotes work just like Potions, 1 spray in the mouth and you are set, only much more expensive. From what I have seen, the prices are similar to the games Max played, only it is the priced by the number of sprays for the total cost. For instance, a full bottle of regular Potion, 1000 uses, is $20,000 Pokebucks (~$190 USD) at $200 per spray. This can be a lot for starting trainers, but that is why most marts give one out for free if you have none. Consequentially, the Super Repel was $140,000 Pokebucks (~$1,350 USD) and the Antidote was $100,000 Pokebucks (~$960 USD). 

Marts also sell different sizes for each product. I always buy the biggest, but, for example, you can get Potions in 10, 50, 100, 200, 500, and finally 1000 sprays. Sizes also vary on the item itself, like Repels going up to 200 max and restoratives like Antidotes going up to 500 max. It has to do with the quality of the item, price to manufacture, and salability of the size...and a ton of other factors I am not well versed in so I will skip over. Anyway, as trainers battle more and earn more money, they realize the prices aren't as bad as they first appear. A decent trainer can earn $200,000 Pokebucks (~$2000 USD) a month fairly easily. 

Most items work almost exactly the same but Repels work a bit differently than they did in Max's games. They are an active repellant rather than a passive spray that lasts for a certain period of time. If a scary Pokemon appears, blast them in the face with the "Don't Touch Me" juice and they go away. Simple and safe for the Pokemon as well. I only want to use it if I attract any attention from wild Beedrills. I do not need to get stung by one of them...

Back to the journey, It will take me roughly an hour to get through Route 2 and head into the forest, so I let all my Pokemon out and we enjoy the nice cool breeze of the sunny Spring day. Route 2 is still mostly grasslands, but with cedar and cypress trees sprouting up here and there as you make your way closer to the forest. It is surrounded by rocky slopes and mountainous terrain on either side making it a small valley leading into the forest. I can see similar Pokemon to Route 1 as we pass, with the addition of some Caterpies, Metapods, Weedles, and Kakunas on the trees we pass. Trainers are now common on the trail as well and I see one or two groups battling each other here and there. I am looking forward to the forest though, so I pass them by.

We crest over a final hill and see the entrance to the forest below us about a quarter-mile or so away. It is a glorious sight. Huge and ancient trees stand side by side stretching for the entire horizon, miles in each direction. They consist of more cedar and cypress trees and I can faintly hear the chirps of Bird Pokemon in the treetops and the drone-like chatter of Bug Pokemon below the canopy even from here. The smell of the fresh leaves is intoxicating and brings a smile to my face.  

'The forest is so much bigger than in Max's memories...but I suppose that makes sense. Why would a forest only stretch a couple hundred feet? ...Not getting through that in under 5 minutes, that I can say.'

There is a League Standard rest stop set up just outside the forest with a motel style, 2 story housing complex, a couple of food stalls, vending machines, benches, tables, 2 large bathroom structures, as well as an information center and Ranger outpost. I smile down looking at it all and notice that Celeste, in her variant Kadabra form, is looking deeper into the forest to our left. We can currently see in a couple of miles in due to our height on the hill.

"What's up, Celeste?"

{The Three The Watcher contacted are nearby. They seem to want to observe you and the location before making a decision on the program.}

'Um...what? Three legendary Pokemon are near and want to watch me...? That is mildly terrifying.'

"They are here already? That was fast...You keep saying 'The Three' but who are they? The Legendary Birds? The Legendary Dogs?"

She chuffs and looks back at me. {If I could tell you, I wouldn't be calling them The Three. You have to do the meeting and convincing, I am just here to guide and protect you from the more...aggressive ones. I was instructed not to tell you their names so that you will have natural reactions and interaction when you first meet them...Don't worry, that still won't be for a while. They let me know not to lead you to them yet. As I said, they wish to observe both you and the facility before making a decision. They will contact me with their choice based on what they find. They do, however, seem very interested in the man that garnered The Watcher's attention.}

That sounds ominous... "Okay...makes sense I guess. Do I need to do anything?"

{Just act as you usually would. They will most likely not make their decision for some time. They traveled a long distance to get here and are resting in the forest currently. This is more of a coincidence than anything else.}

"I do not believe in coincidences, Finn," The Watcher's words echo in my mind.

'Fate, huh...?'

"Well, I guess we will just pretend like they aren't here then. You guys ready to catch a new friend?"

My Pokemon and partners all yell out in their agreement...except for Thorn, who is on my shoulder and just nods.

Now, some may wonder why I am going all the way out here to try and catch a Caterpie, Metapod, or even a Butterfree? The answer is simple. First, I loved Butterfree! It is a rad and cute Pokemon that is deceptively powerful...at least for a little bit of the games at the start. Having access to Sleep Powder and Poison Powder as well as Stun Spore so early on is a game-changer. Add to that the fact they can fly and that battles are 3 dimensions here not 2 like in the games, and you have a versatile and annoying opponent to beat. It absolutely has nothing to do with the episode of the anime where Ash lets his Butterfree go, and Max totally didn't bawl his eyes out as a kid watching it. Nope. No way. 

Secondly, unlike the games Max played, here Mega and G-Max evolutions are one and the same and are permanent to top it off. This means that once a Butterfree evolves into its G-Max form, it always is its G-Max form. This means that Butterfree is broken AF. In case you are unaware, G-Max Butterfree has an ability called Befuddle that makes all of its Bug Type moves inflict either paralyze, poison, or sleep. Yup. I am planning to raise the ultimate troll Pokemon. Add to that the improved accuracy of their ability Compound Eyes and the double damage on not very effective moves from their hidden ability Tinted Lens and I have a Pokemon that will make Elite 4 everywhere cry tears of blood.

'Mwahahahaha' I internally cackle.

...

Apparently, the perverse joy I felt at the idea of bullying the best trainers in the world was on my face as all my Pokemon are staring at me strangely... What do they know, anyway!?!

Not that getting any Pokemon to Mega Evolve is easy...

Okay, let's talk about Mega Evolutions. First off, there are no G-Max evolutions here, or rather, all G-Max evolutions are simply qualified as a special kind of Mega Evolution. With that combination comes an averaging of all of them as well. Sorry, but you won't find an island sized Snorlax anywhere. It is just not practical, and It would probably die from starvation if It was that big. A rough estimate says that Mega Evolved Pokemon are 1/2 again as large as their previous evolutions and at least doubled in power. Sounds great, right? Well...there is a catch. See this only happens when a Pokemon bonds with a specific type of meteorite. Different regions call them different things, but the most common name is Z-stones. 

Sound familiar? Yup! These are where Z-moves come in! But first, what are they? Simply put, they are carved meteorite stones that Pokemon can carry with them and that passively absorb the Pokemon's excess energy over time. The stone starts a dull black but slowly gains the color of the elements the Pokemon uses most. Once it has absorbed enough energy, and the Pokemon is grown strong enough, it becomes the catalyst for Mega Evolutions to occur. Even though we know what the catalyst of the phenomenon is, it is still not really clear what triggers the evolution. Some claim it has to do with the Pokemon's growth, others think it has to do with the threshold of power in the Z-stone, and some even believe it to be totally random. No one has been able to say for sure and reports of Pokemon Mega Evolving in their sleep seem to throw researchers everywhere for a loop. 

Next, why are they called Z-stones? The reason for the name is that they come from a large meteor named the Omega-Z Meteor that fell to Arceus (The name of the planet) over 1000 years ago. This is the same meteor that caused Groudon and Kyogre to reawaken and threaten the world and allowed Rayquaza to experience the first Mega Evolution in order to stop them. As a side note, this is also the start of modern history in the world as BMF - Before Meteor Falls - and AMF - After Meteor Falls - are used as the basis for timekeeping and calendars like BC and AD was for Max's world.

Anyway, when the Omega-Z Meteor fell, it broke off into millions of chunks and scattered all over the world, with the biggest chunk landing at what would become Sootopolis City. These meteorite chunks are what are used for Z-stones, and, though there is still a lot of it on the market, it is a finite resource so they are very, very expensive. Last I checked, a small marble sized Z-stone sold for around $5,000,000 Pokebucks (~$48,000 USD) with larger ones growing exponentially more expensive. Only wealthy families or older trainers can afford to buy them, but World Trainers receive 1 from the League for free upon completing the Official Trainer Route. Most retire from that point and sell theirs for a nice little nest egg.

Lastly, we can talk about Z-moves. To simplify a complex topic, when a Pokemon with a Z-stone is put in a stressful or tight spot, they can use some of the stored energy in their Z-stone to empower a move of theirs. This is rarely done or used on purpose before Mega Evolution takes place as it can waste a large amount of energy from the Z-stone. The most viewed video on PokeTube is actually a battle between the world-renowned and multi-tournament champions Steven & Cynthia in which they use several. They battled in the Regional World Tournament, a special tournament that is held every 5 years and in which each region can only select 1 champion to represent them, in a 3v3 with all Mega Evolved Pokemon. It was just Z-move after Z-move and it is truly an epic battle of the ages. 

This was a bit long-winded...but, yeah. I am catching a Pokemon in the Butterfree evolutionary line in order to raise them into a Mega Butterfree. Why am I doing it now instead of when I get my Z-stone? ....I already bought 3 of the marble-sized ones used...But come on! 3 for $10 million Pokebucks (~$96,000 USD) was a steal! Sure, it will take longer to flush out the old energy from the past Pokemon, but I have time... And besides, I still have like 12 million Pokebucks, so I am not hurting on cash...I thought Lara was going to skin me alive when I told her though...I finally got her to calm down when I wisely decid *Ahem* informed her I bought them so that I could give her one of them. That was always the plan from the start, after all...hahahaha...

Moving on. We have reached the rest stop area and the large trees of the forest loom over our group nearby. I see a small squad of officers at a booth near the official entrance to the forest. It seems it branches off into many paths from that point, but I can only see two from my position. That made me smile and think back to a Poem book Max's mom used to read to him as a kid.

'The Road Not Taken...I suppose that poem is a good reflection of Max and me...Oh, shut it, Finn. You're no philosopher! If I see two roads, you bet your ass I am taking the one that has the most foot traffic otherwise I would get fucking lost!'

I chuckle to myself and move towards the checkpoint returning my Pokemon to their Pokeballs. None of them mind, as they know I will let them out again after we pass. Just easier to get through without a small zoo following you.

"Trainer ID?" A bored-looking male officer in his late 20s says.

"Here." I pass over my ID.

He glances at it and hands it back before starting on a, clearly practiced, short speech. "Follow the signs for the Jr. League route. It will take you about 3 hours to make it through to Pewter City if you move quickly. Don't stop until you reach the other side and don't stray off the path." He then reaches to the side and into 2 separate buckets, "Take these. The green flare is if you find someone who needs help. The red one is if you need help. Just pull the top here and wait where you are, a Ranger will be to you shortly." 

"Thanks, but I am only here to catch a Caterpie, Metapod, or a Butterfree. Have there been any sightings of variants?" I ask accepting the flares and pocketing them.

He looks at me with more interest and says, "There are quite a few in the woods, they are not as rare as people make them out to be and no one hunts variant Bug Pokemon...though you are more likely to get lost chasing after one..." He pauses before looking over to a small roofed wooden structure about 20 feet away with a series of benches. 2 people sit on those benches playing on their phones, both in Ranger garb. 

"Hey, Megan!" The man calls.

"Roger, my answer is still no. Please stop asking." The woman, Megan, says not even looking up from her phone. She appears to be roughly the same age as Roger.

Roger blushes and grits his teeth. "Yeah, I get it...no need to be a bitch about it," This last is mumbled under his breath, "I am not asking about that." He continues at full volume. "This guy wants to catch a variant Bug Pokemon in the forest. Do you have time to guide him? You said you saw a peach-colored Metapod yesterday, right?"

"I'm busy." She says, not looking up again. I am starting to feel for Roger, she really is a bitch.

"I'll take him." The other woman on the bench says. She is a little younger and looks to be the quiet, cute nerdy type. I like her already, though I may be biased as she also has purple hair. She is a bit willowy, but she walks up with the confidence and poise of a Ranger. She adjusts her glasses as she approaches and I notice she is fairly tall. Maybe 5'9" or so. 

"Thanks, April," Roger says with a warm smile.

"No problem. I really like his music." She says and matches the warm smile for him and me.

 "Ah, busted already?" I ask with a forlorn grin, "I even let my hair down today and everything to look different."

"You famous or something?" Roger asks.

"Or something," I respond.

This conversation seems to have gotten Megan's attention as she looks up from her phone and at me. Then she gawks and stands quickly before running over. "A-actually I'm free April, I will take Finn!"

April sighs and rolls her eyes as she looks to me in question. There is no doubt that the busty redhead, Megan, is more attractive physically, but her personality makes her far uglier. Though, then again, I have only known her for all of a minute and might be being too harsh. Still, I feel confident in my pick and decided to let her down easy. I wink at April. "Sorry, I would hate to trouble you since you are busy," I say with fake sadness. "April will do just fine. Come on, let's head out, I only have a couple of hours I can spend in the forest."

At that moment a red flare can be seen billowing up in the distant treeline and Roger notices it first. "Well, I guess since April is giving the tour, you are up for answering the flair." He says with only a modicum of satisfaction in his smile. 

Megan glares at him, then at April, before stomping off into the forest mumbling under her breath. Bitch she may be, but she is still a Ranger. 

"This way Mr. Cambridge," April says politely and leads me into the woods and down a lesser-traveled path - Ironic that. 

We walk in silence for a few minutes through the path. Dried leaves and twigs crunch under our feet and it feels damp and cool already. I spot the retreating bodies of several Bug Pokemon in the brush or climbing trees, but none of them catch my attention.

"Don't mind Megan, Mr. Cambridge-"

"Just call me Finn. Is it alright if I call you April?" I interrupt her and ask. She smiles and nods back to me.

"Yes, that is fine. Don't mind Megan, Finn. She just got out of a bad relationship and has been a little grumpy. She is usually a bright and bubbly girl and is a huge fan of you and your fiance."

"I'll take your word for it," I say simply watching with a smile as a Metapod and Kakuna fight over a branch...and by that I mean use Harden over and over again before taking pot shots using Tackle. The Kakuna eventually wins and the Metapod falls to the ground with a *Thud* before getting up, glaring at the Kakuna, and hopping off into a nearby bush.

"Do you mind if I let my Pokemon out?" I ask and she smiles and nods. 

"Just keep an eye on them. We don't want them to get lost." 

I let out the gang and April gasps when she sees them all. I ignore her and take Pyra's Fire Cage out and attach it to her tail. This is model 4 by the way. Dad had to keep making more of them for her as she grew. Though they look the same as before, just bigger. A plastic bubble with small holes in the top that closes and latches onto her tail with pads for her comfort. Cool to the touch and safe for forests. I pat her back when I am done, as she stands perfectly still while I am attaching it, and she leans her head down to mine to nuzzle me with affection. 

I quickly grab Angie before she can take off and Thorn makes his way up my shoulder to rest in his usual spot around my neck. Celeste, in her Kadabra form, stares after Thorn longingly. 

"Sorry girl," I say to the buddle of static energy, "No running off in here. It would be tough to find you again. Promise you will stay within 6 feet of me and I will let you down." I stare into her eyes and she looks anywhere by mine like a guilty puppy, before finally looking at me and nodding. "Good girl," I say and kiss the top of her head. She gives me several statically charged licks that make my hair stand up for a moment and I put her down. 

April giggles and says playfully, "You weren't kidding in the video. You really are a sap for your Pokemon."

I give her the side-eye but smile all the same. 

"Still I can't believe you have so many variants! Are those all you catch?" She asks tilting her head quizzically.

"Nah," I answer patting Thorn and Celeste's head at the same time, "I just look for the best. Angie here is normal, but I bet she could still kick the ass of anyone else' Jolteon, variant or not. Isn't that right, girl?" I ask the energetic Pokemon, who quickly barks and brushes up against me before moving to the side of the path and smelling things again. 

April smiles at the cute Jolteon and says, "Well. As Roger was saying, we have quite a few variant Bug Pokemon in these woods. I know of two in the Butterfree line that live around 5 minutes from here-"

She is interrupted by Angie's growl. A second later and a horde of Caterpie and Metapods as well as 2 Butterfree's burst out of the brush moving as fast as they can. I notice that one of the Butterfree's is a variant with peach-colored skin and light green eyes. They pause for a brief second as they see us, but just adjust and continue past. I hear what sounds like a commotion and small thunks from the other side of the brush.

"That's odd..." April says, "They don't usually travel in that big of groups...Ah! There is the peach variant. Looks like it evolved..."

"Pyra, find out what's happening," I order calmly and Pyra nods before turning to the nonvariant Butterfree who is guarding the back of the group. She calls out to it and it "Free"'s back at her a few times.

Pyra turns to me and says, "Beedrill and... their kind...invading territory...some still...trapped."

"You're Charmeleon can talk!?!" April yells and freezes up in shock.

I start moving towards the brush. "Gang, stick close. We might be battling some tough enemies."

"Wait!" April shouts after me from the path, "Getting in the way of a Pokemon territory dispute is suicide!"

I just smile at her and respond, "You are welcome to wait here, but there are young Pokemon that need my help. I would never forgive myself if one of them died when I could have stopped it from happening."

Then I turn, not waiting for her response, and head deeper into the brush and towards the commotion. My Pokemon and the nonvariant Butterfree follow.

'Shit...I hope I have enough sprays in my Repel for this...' 

Cliff hanger! Sorry everyone, but the chapter was getting a bit too long to continue. lol

More bad news! Before I write the next chapter, I will be rewriting my summary and Prologue chapter. I think they could do with some more love, but I promise to not take too long with it.

I hope you enjoyed this chapter! I know there was a lot of world-building, but I promise more action in the next chapter.

Speaking of world-building, what do you think? Too much, too little, or just right? Do you like the USD conversions when I talk about money or should I stop them? I would love to hear your thoughts. 

Thanks for reading!

 

44