Chapter 21 – A Stormy Drive
864 7 39
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Thanks for your patience everyone! Damn. Finally done with the project. I feel like I need a cigarette after how hard that project fucked me. LOL I had another 2 rounds of edits after the finish date, which really sucked. Meh, what can you do? Anyway, thanks for reading and for your comments last time!

I am glad so many of you liked the Interlude chapter! I will be doing more of those whenever time passes or in boring transit sections. 

I hope you enjoy this chapter as well!

Chapter 21 – A Stormy Drive

The first day of travel was a breeze. We hit the highway in the small 2 seat, golf cart-esk car my dad gave me before I left home and we made excellent time. It was so cool to see cars driving right next to pokemon and their riders. The highway system adopted a 5 lane each-way style. 3 lanes for cars (or just two if you count carpool 9-5 each weekday) and 2 lanes for pokemon traffic. The maps of the regions from Max's games looked nothing like they do in reality. That portion that was available to the players are still here and, in many cases, the layouts are similar, but this is a real-world and not some game, so of course there are highways, the cities are larger, they are all miles and miles in distance from one to another, and there are community systems and practices in place the same as one would find in any city in Max's world. (Busses, government facilities, small mom and pop shops, big corporations, entertainment and shopping centers, local eccentricities, etc.)

Back to the drive. The highlights of the day were when we passed a 40 foot Mega Steelex with an entire gypsy style wagon house strapped to its back and then when we watched a mixed group of Pokemon with trainers mounted race a flashy sports car in a nearby lane. I had a feeling that a Pokemon would win, but I was not expecting a Sceptile with a snot-nosed kid on its back to take such a lead ahead of a Zeraora and a Manectric, both with older more experienced trainers on their back... The sports car guy just drove off with a dejected look on his face. Lara and I laughed about that for a good while.

It was now our second day on the trip and It is overcast outside and looks like it may rain later. So far we have jammed out to our favorite tunes, played car games with each other and the few Pokemon we had out with us, and, in Lara's case, caught some beauty sleep. I may or may not have gotten slapped due to a *cough* completely accidental *cough* break check...it isn't my fault she was sleeping at the time and I certainly didn't scream "Lara! Look Out!" just to scare her and get a reaction...that would have just been cruel... Anyway, with a swollen cheek and an important life lesson learned, we continued on.

"What did you learn?" A still agitated Lara asks. 

"I learned three things. First, you are violent when scared, second, your right hooks are no joke, and third, ...angry Lara is sexy as hell...

"Hmm. I don't mind that last one. Apology accepted."

"Thanks, dear."

"Don't you 'dear' me! You want a matching shinner?" Lara says making a fist and waving it threateningly at me. I stare at her with absolute terror in my expression and she plays her part as the schoolyard bully. The raised corners on each of our lips give the game away, however.

"Why is my Fiance a bully, Pyra? What did I do to deserve this?" I say dramatically.

"You...are...a masochist," Pyra says lazily from behind me in the storage section. Storage for the car was a 3-foot space enclosed in the cab. The vehicle looked like a smart car merged with a hatchback from Max's world. Pyra, Grace, Angie, and Celeste are all cuddled up in a giant blanket bed Lara made just for them on top of our luggage. 

*Pfft* Lara loses it at that.

"Pyra! You!... Where did you learn such a word? How could you make something so ridiculous up and wound your partner in such a way!?"

"But it's true though..." Lara says trying to keep up the act and attempting a confused inflection but it is totally wasted on account of her not even being able to look at me. She is currently looking out the window to hide her smile and her shoulders tremble from suppressed laughter. 

"Alright. I guess you wouldn't want someone like me...I will just pull over and be on my wa-" I say with fake tears and start to pull the car over to the side of the highway.

"Oh, hush. Stop being such a drama queen... Lara says with an eye-roll, giving me a quick kiss on the cheek. "Besides..." She leans in and whispers something in my ear. Something that makes my entire face and even my chest and ears burn red.

"Lara! What the fu-"

"Oh! I have service again! Finally, I was getting tired of the static radio. Let's listen to the album Jess dropped last month. I need to remember to download the songs this time..." She says and trails off. She pulls up Pokefy, but becomes distracted when a large number of texts come in at that moment.

"She must be really busy or broke her phone or something dumb. She hasn't called us all wee-" Lara froze. All color drained from her face. Her hand shot out and gripped mine so hard I thought I might lose a finger. I nearly jerked the wheel out of surprise but managed to keep steady. I was about to ask her to ease up a bit...but, evidently, now was not the time to complain. Lara's lips were quivering and her eyes were leaking tears. She stared at her phone for a couple more seconds in shocked horror. She then took several deep, shaking breaths and wiped the tear streaks from her face, before fumbling with the phone in her trembling hands to dial a phone number.

For my part, I really did pull over. Whatever was going on, this was serious and I needed to be here for Lara. Our Pokemon popped their heads up from the back storage section behind us and I could see the worry on their faces. The phone in Lara's hand rang for several long moments and Lara's grip only tightened more. Someone must have picked up finally, as I heard a small voice trying to speak only to be barreled over by Lara's yell.

"I know you are in contact with her, give me her new number. Now!" The small voice was even smaller now and was saying something, but Lara's face turned from worry and stressed to real anger. 

"Don't give me that fucking bullshit, Rhonda. Give! Me! Her! Number!" She exploded into her phone. Again the voice, now barely audible, says something. Lara's face grows even darker and her next words are quiet and calm. 

'Uh oh... The calmer Lara is while mad, the worse it will end. I learned that long ago...'

"And where are you right now, Rhonda? Are you with her?" The small voice paused for a second, then talking again slowly.

"I see. So, what you are saying is that you, her manager, the one responsible for her well-being and safety while she is on tour, have no idea where she is, no idea what she is doing right now, and are not currently with her during this troubling time... Surely, you can understand the concern I feel and the potential repercussions of such...gross negligence...?"

The voice gets a bit louder and I can hear some sharp words. 

"Rhonda," Lara says in a sweet voice with a smile that looks like an Oni, "You had better listen to me because I am not going to say this twice. You will tell me her new number, you will tell me where she is, and you will tell me what is truly going on or so help me, not only will I fire you as both mine and Finn's agent, but I will spread this situation over every single social platform I possibly can, bashing you for stopping me from helping her... Today, Rhonda, you have lost my respect... You can start earning it back by being honest with me. My best friend is hurt and alone. I..." She breaks here, sobs forcing their way out past her anger. "Please... Please let me help her..." These last words are spoken in a pleading whisper.

The car has been parked at the side of the road for a while now and I have been holding onto Lara's hand with both of mine. I am not sure I fully understand, but it seems Jess was hurt and Rhonda is refusing to give us her information for some reason. 

I hear a long sigh on the other line, then the voice speaks again. Lara perks up and finally gives a small smile. "Thanks, Rhonda...I know you are not supposed to do this...Sorry for being a bitch, but she needs us! ...Can you tell me why she got a new-"

This time annoyed shouting can be heard on the other line.

"Wha...No! I mean...There is no way that's the ca-"

More shouting, then another sigh, and soft words before the line disconnects. Lara sits there in stunned silence for several seconds. I wait for her, rubbing my thumb across the back of her hand lovingly. She will speak when she is ready. After several deep breaths, she turns to me and I see she needs more than just my hands. I let go of her, get out of the car, walk around to the other side, pull Lara up to me, and hug her tightly. 

"Tell me when you are ready," I say as I kiss the top of her head and hold her until she calms down. She shivers slightly but soon warms in my embrace and sighs before looking up at me. 

"Okay, Finn..." She says biting her lip in worry. "You have to promise not to fly off the handle when I tell you this," She continues, giving me a slightly pleading look.

"I will do my best," I say, not promising shit.

She looks like she is going to argue, but sighs again and starts speaking instead.

"It is about Jessica...Last night she was almost raped. I saw it on a news site-"

"What!?" I shout, my vision turning red with anger. I hold it together, but I can feel my muscles tensing and shaking. 

"Finn! Please, calm down. The guy hit her, but her Machop took care of him before anything else could happen and he was arrested."

Rage billowed from within me. Jessica was a torment and loved to tease people, but she was genuinely one of the nicest and most caring persons I have ever met. She had a beautiful face and a lovely smile...thinking of that replaced with a black eye and tears was enough to make me crazy. She was one of ours. No one fucks with one of ours. 

'You better still be in prison or have a good hiding spot, fucker. Once I find you...'

"Finn...there is more that I need to tell you-"

A *Ding* came from Lara's phone and she quickly pulled it out to look at the text. "Ah! Rhonda sent me her hotel address and new phone number! She's in Celadon City, but she will be moving to Lilly City for a concert today."

"Ok! Let's call her and we can rush to...where the hell is Lilly City?..." I trail off as I pull up the maps app on my phone. 

'Damn...5 days from here.'

"Finn..." Lara says with some trepidation but shakes her head. "No. You're right. Let's call her now." 

Rain starts to fall and the rumble of thunder can be heard in the distance. I waste no time and scoop her up to sit down in the passenger's side of the car while placing Lara on my lap. I give her a reassuring kiss on her cheek and wrap my arms around her waist. She closes her eyes and smiles as she leans her head on my shoulders for a second. Our Pokemon take this moment to show their own support as they all crowd on the driver's seat and nod at us. At least to Pyra and Grace, Jess was also a very important person.

"Okay...I hope she answers..." Lara says, more to herself than to us. She dials the number and puts the phone on the speaker setting so I can talk to her as well. It rings for several moments, but finally Jessica answers.

"Hello?"

"Jess! OMG, are you ok!? Finn and I have been so worried about you!" Lara exclaims and I can see her visibly relax as she hears her best friend's voice again, seemingly safe and sound.

"L-lara? How...How did you get this number?" Jessica asks in an accusatory tone.

"Don't be like that Jess," I say with a laugh, "I know you like your privacy, but we just wanted to make sure you were ok. You'll make us feel like you don't want to talk to us anymore!" I laugh...but neither Lara nor Jessica laughs with me.

...

"Jess?" I ask again, my smile falling from my face.

"*Sigh* Looks like you idiots can't take a hint..." Jessica says with sarcasm dripping from her words. "I changed my number to avoid you two. I am done with you guys... T-thanks for checking in...but I don't need you to look after me anymore. Sorry...but I...I don't think we can be friends-"

"Jessica Holren, we have been friends for over 10 years. I know almost everything about you. I know when you are lying." Lara says, her brows furrowed and frustration clear on her face. 

"You don't know shit, Lara!" Jessica screams. "What could you possibly understand? You have no idea how I fucking feel. Do you think our school friendship is enough to last now? Well, news flash, I am just a petty bitch. You two are the fucking poster children for sparkly, lovey-dovey couples and I am sick of it! That is all anyone can talk about and meanwhile, I am some tolerated third wheel! I am done with that shit. You both...go live your perfect lives and leave me the fuck alone-"

"No! Jessica, wait! Please!" Lara pleads, tears falling freely from her eyes. "I'm sorry that I didn't realize before, but we can work this out."

"There is nothing to work out. I don't want to be associated with you anymore. It is pretty simple from where I stand, or are you just slow-"

"Jess, just stop! Stop pushing us away! I know, okay?" 

"I told you, you don't know shi-"

"I KNOW!!!" Lara screams back. "Please, let us make this right. Give us a fucking chance! I don't want to lose you..." Her anger turns to tears and she starts to sob again.

...

"I'm sorry, Lara. I can't... I...I wish you both the best. Goodbye."

"Jess...why? It doesn't need to be like this..." I say, but the words sound hollow even to me. I have no idea what they are talking about, but this seems to be the breaking point for us three, and...that makes my heart hurt. Jessica has always been there for me whenever I needed someone. She was a confidant and someone who helped me plan all of those events when I was a kid. Her smile was enough to light up both of our moods. She was just as much my best friend as she was Lara's. 

"G-Goodbye Finn," Jessica says, her voice cracking, and hangs up the line. 

Lara dials the number back immediately but it rings once and then goes to a generic voicemail box. She keeps trying and even sends a text, only to receive an error, "Message blocked."  

Lara completely loses it. I am no better. We sit on the side of the road, her on my lap, her head buried into my shoulder, and bawling her eyes out, while I hold her close and try to fight back tears of my own. Rain pelts the car in heavy sheets and the thunder grows louder. Flashes of lighting give brief moments of bright light on the otherwise dreary day.

'Why? Why is this happening? What did we do? Could I have done something different?...'

Long minutes pass and Lara eventually falls asleep in my arms. I lay her back into the seat and recline it for her comfort and then proceed over to the driver's seat through the rain. The Pokemon moved back to their bed, as they were unable to do anything to help at this moment, but when I open the car door, Pyra is waiting for me in her Chibi Charizard form. She jumps out of the car, transforms back to her full height, and pulls me in for a tight hug. 

"Things will...be okay...Maybe she just...needs time." She says and I damn near lose it again. I hug her back and pat her neck affectionately. 

"Thanks, girl. We will be alright...I am more worried for Jess." I finish with a sigh. "Come sit with me for the rest of the ride?" I ask and look up at her.

"Of course...someone needs...to look out...for you. Grace has Lara...covered." She says and Minimizes herself again. I reattach the Fire Cage that came off when she transformed and climb into the driver's seat with Pyra on my lap. I look over and see Grace curled up on Lara's lap. Lara had unconsciously moved her hands to Grace's soft, warm fur for a bit of comfort of her own. 

I drive for a few more hours but stop at the nearest rest spot and set up our cabin. I don't feel like driving anymore and the bed will be much better for Lara than the reclined car chair. I carry Lara up to the cabin and tuck her into bed. I unpack what we need from the car and re-store the small thing in its capsule. I let out all our Pokemon and feed them explaining that today will be a low-key day and to expect Lara to be sad. I give them each some affection and attention and then move to the bedroom. A nap sounds wonderful right now.

I quickly shower and get dried off before crawling under the covers and falling asleep shortly after my head hits the pillow. 

A couple of hours later, I am awoken with a kiss like Sleeping Beauty. I open my eyes to see a cascade of golden hair around my face and a sadly smiling Lara over me.

"Thanks, babe. You are too good to me." She says and cups my cheek lovingly.

I pull her down next to me and hold her close as I kiss her forehead in answer.

"Finn...we need to talk...about Jessica." Lara hedges.

"I am not sure that is the best idea right now. I think we all need some time and then we can try to rekindle things." I say brushing a hand through her hair. 

She pulls my hand back and props herself up on her elbow to look down at me. "No, Finn, this is serious. This is something I really need to tell you...I think I know why all of this happened..."

I raise my eyebrows at her and shut up. I would like to know what this was really about. I was not great at reading between the lines, especially when it comes to women. A loud peal of thunder shakes the cabin.

I nod to my beautiful fiancé and listen to the unbelievable words she speaks.

Sorry again for the wait everyone. Along with the work project, this chapter was just really tough to write. I wrote and rewrote it a ton of times since I started it last week, but it always felt...off? If that makes sense? I don't know, it is like there is something missing maybe?

Please let me know your feedback. I will consider this version a draft for now.

This is the first time I went a bit darker, but for the light to shine through, there needs to be darkness. I hope you still enjoyed it as we are starting to develop the characters a bit more. I also went for a much more realistic approach to the situation. Rather than tens of chapters about misunderstandings, Lara is smart and with a hint from Rhonda figured it out. I think this fits her character, but please let me know if you think I should make it more vague. 

Anyway, the next chapters go back to the light mood so I should be able to get those out much faster. I plan to do another 2 chapters by Sunday to make up for my break.

Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed it!

 

39