Chapter 4 (Kiss)
41 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Kiss

Shino took in a few steadying breaths, detaching his mind from the flare of pain ripping through his shoulder that a kunai knife sliced through during a mission. A small graze that left a thin red incision on his fair skin, but enough to cause slight discomfort as it throbbed. However, as an Aburame, Shino bore it with admirable stoicism. He didn’t grunt with shaking breaths or utter curses about the incision on his shoulder. He detached himself from the pain—he acknowledged it, yet he didn’t allow it to consume him. He simply let go of the pain and convinced himself he would let go of his feelings for Hinata Hyuuga as well.

His feelings only grew stronger for her during their missions together as Team 8—and Shino found himself paying attention to Hinata rather than his enemy and fretting about her safety, which let a stray kunai strip the skin of his shoulder. He pretended it never happened, though Hinata’s Byakugan glimpsed and honed in on the red wound glaring on his shoulder. When Hinata noticed this, she stuttered and fumbled in her jacket for a healing salve to put on his shoulder.

“Shino-kun,” Hinata said as she approached. “I noticed the wound on your shoulder and…I made some medicine to help ease any pain.”

“I’m all right,” Shino muttered, trying not to gasp in surprise or pain. “There’s no need to concern yourself over me.”

“Ah, but Shino!” Hinata said as her gaze went downwards. “You’re always looking out for me. I know you do. I know that you kept some of your bugs out on patrol so that I wouldn’t be by myself, scouting that village. And you’ve…always supported me and believed in me. I didn’t have to prove anything to you or Kiba. You two just…accepted me as I am. And I…I appreciate that.”

“You’re our teammate,” Shino said simply. “It’s only natural that we look out for one another. It’s to build camaraderie with one another.”

“I know, but,” Hinata bit her lip, wondering if she should say more.

Her cheeks reddened. Shino found it harder to detach from his emotions and romantic longings for the pale girl with lavender eyes.

“I just feel that I should thank you.”

Shino said nothing. His heart thundered in his chest and the hive scattered and collected together in their frenzy. He wanted her, but he could not touch her. He could not tell her what he felt. So he would let go of his emotions for her, but it was getting harder and harder to resist. The allure of her milky white eyes shimmered with concern towards him.

“Um,” Hinata said as she averted her gaze. “Could you…take off your jacket, Shino-kun? I need to apply the medicine.”

Shino’s mind short-circuited. He knew the reason behind Hinata’s request was for medical reasons, though asking him to strip off his jacket in front of her was something that his mind couldn’t compute. None of them saw the other stripped down before, and Shino felt achingly vulnerable with his jacket to cover his body and part of his face, shrouded in mystery. Everything seemed to become more suffocating.

Hinata noted his reluctance.

“I-If you don’t wish for me to apply the medicine, t-then I can turn away and you apply it yourself. I just ask that you...return the cream to me, Shino-kun.”

“It’s fine,” Shino interjected smoothly. “I will take off my jacket so you can apply it.”

Then, Shino slowly peeled his jacket, exposing the bare shoulder where the kunai slashed him. Hinata applied some of the medical cream. The wound disappeared with a slight hiss. The scent of lavender shampoo wafted into his nose as she leaned close to spread the cream on his shoulder with two fingers. Shino drew in bated breath, trying not to give voice to his pain. Yet despite the initial sting of the salve flaring up for a few seconds of held breath, Shino’s burning cut eventually soothed into a calm wave of relief.

She did have a talent for making medicines and salves—perhaps she could be a Medic one day if she applied herself. Then again, Shino knew Hinata would grow up to become a fine young woman. He believed in her. He knew she would become more confident, strong, and sure of herself—she needed some guidance along the way, though Shino could help her become the woman she always wanted to be.

Before Shino could even react to say thank you, Hinata leaned forward and kissed the spot where the wound had been. Shino’s cheeks reddened and his ears burned at this, and there was no jacket to hide his expression from her. The hive within him hummed approvingly.

“Hinata?”

Hinata smiled pleasantly towards him. “My mother always used to say that if you kissed someone's boo-boos, they would heal faster. It…sounds silly, I know.”

“No, thank you,” Shino said, quickly recovering from his flustered state. “I appreciate the gesture and sentiment. You’re very thoughtful.”

“Say, Shino-kun…” Hinata said, poking her fingers together. “Close your eyes. If you would…”

Shino closed his eyes, complying with Hinata’s request. Something that startled him was feeling lips brush against his own, Shino’s mouth remained slightly agape when Hinata parted away and twiddled her fingers together as a red streak marked her cute cheeks. Fiddlesticks, did she realize how much of an allure and glamour she cast over him like the perfume she wore? The hive only seemed to hum and murmur with happiness, sensing their master’s elation. Hinata poked her fingers together.

“Um…that was for good luck,” Hinata said. “So…that you won’t get hurt on the next mission. I don’t want to see you hurt like that again…”

“I’ll be fine,” Shino said before he inwardly reflected on his first kiss. His first kiss with Hinata; the one that he cherished and loved. An innocent, chaste kiss, but even that was enough for him. Just being with her was always enough.

Editing Pass Number 1 – April 30, 2021

0