Chapter 31: Secret Conversations
1.6k 4 33
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The move towards the noble district was orderly and swift. Shen Yue’s mother was no longer as surprised at her son’s actions at this point. She didn’t particularly care where she lives as long as her son was with her. But she knew he had to go to the higher realm to become stronger and wanted to keep him satisfied so he can focus on his cultivation when he left. There was also the surprise of two daughters-in-law he had surprised her with so she was very happy with the way things are now.

The engagement was supposed to be a small family affair but the family of Ninger had somehow made it much bigger than expected. After the news of the defeat of demon lord and the saving of Ye Zhong by Shen Yue had been released, the position of Shen Yue had greatly risen in the eyes of these great nobles. Many nobles now had a better understanding of the cultivation level and strength of Shen Yue as they were no longer ignorant of the world outside Glory City.

To be able to defeat a foe that suppressed both Ye Zhong and Ye Mo showed that he was possibly the strongest cultivator present in the city. Ninger’s family wanted to gather as many benefits from this relationship as possible. Shen Yue didn’t mind them publicizing this and even welcomed it as it would give his mother the family much needed protection when he went away.

The alchemist guild had been a loyal backer when he was relatively weak and enjoyed the full benefits of their relationship with Shen Yue. The older alchemy masters were excited at the chance of having relationship with the powerful cultivator who had been dazzling them with higher level alchemy knowledge. They were of course happy that their young protégé, Yan Xin had secured herself a brilliant future for herself and knew she won’t easily forget about them in the future.

Yang Xin and Ninger stood besides Shen Yue as they greeted guests after guests in the hall. Shen Yue wasn’t exactly interested in these formalities, but he went through it for their sakes. He knew the need to keep up appearances and how reputation still played a crucial role in this world. Both Yang Xin and Ninger were prepared to move in with him so he wouldn’t feel alone before their appointment to leave for the higher realm.

A week later at City Lord Mansion in Ye Zhong’s office.

“Father-in-law, grandfather Mo. How are you? I have a request to make.”

Nie Li was standing in front of a desk where Ye Zhong was seated going over documents. Ye Mo was standing close to the window behind looking over the view of Glory City visible from the office.
Ye Zhong replied with a warm tone.

“What is it Nie Li? You suddenly sound very formal.”

“Father-in-law, can we have an engagement ceremony with Ziyun? I can ask my family to prepare the dowry and make the formal arrangements.”

“Oh, I mean if that’s what you want. Have you talked to Ziyun? I am fine with it as long as she agreed.”

“Ahh, this…, Father-in-law. It’s just an engagement ceremony. Ziyun feels that she was too young but I think we can take care of these family matters while we are still in this realm. Once we leave for draconic ruins realm, we wouldn’t be able to come back for five years.”

“What you said makes sense. But Nie Li, why are you in a hurry? You can just do it when you come back too. “

“This… It’s good to properly care for these matters in advance. Besides, have I not contributed enough for the Snow Wind family?”

“Of course, you have. Don’t worry, I will talk to Ziyun.”

“Thank you, father-in-law. I will take my leave now. Also, goodbye grandfather Mo.” Ye Zhong waved his hand while Ye Mo nodded with a smile.

Satisfied, Nie Li took his leave and went out of the office.

Ye Zhong spoke to his father with a smile.

“I don’t know why the brat is in such a hurry.”

Ye Mo however was not smiling and asked in a solemn voice.

“Has he talked about this issue with you before?”

“Yes, he did mention it about a month ago but with all the things that had been happening we didn’t have a chance to actually hold the ceremony. Is something wrong, father?”

“How does Ziyun feel about him, Zhonger?”

“Hmm…As far as I know she seems to get along fine with him.”

“I hope you are right son. Did you realize what he was doing in the room just now? He wasn’t just asking for your permission. From what he said, he couldn’t secure Ziyun’s approval himself. He wants to leverage his contributions to our family and to the city by making you force this engagement on Ziyun.”

Ye Zhong was now looking more serious. As he went back to replay his previous conversation with Nie Li and all his other interactions with Nie Li before, he suddenly found that he had been a bit eager to think well of him and gave him the benefit of the doubt.

“From the very beginning he did seem to have a thing for Ziyun; even before he moved into the mansion. From what I knew he didin’t seem to have any interactions with Ziyun before too.”

“For what’s it’s worth, he hadn’t openly and directly asked for Ziyun as a reward for his contributions. I am perfectly fine with Nie Li as a husband for Ziyun if she is happy with it. On the hand, if she is against it, I am not sure if we even have the power to stop this marriage.”

“Father, do you mean he will try to force his relationship with Ziyun? I don’t think he will do that.”

“You are too naïve, Zhonger. Did you see the way Ziyun looked at Sir Yue before he left? I think there might some feelings there. Not to mention Sir Yue had just saved the life her beloved father. Nie Li would have seen it too and probably see Sir Yue as a romantic rival.”

“But father, you remember that Shen Yue already had been engaged to two women. We both attended their ceremony a week ago. How could our daughter be interested in him?”

“How can you know the heart of a young maiden? In fact, I rather like this Sir Yue. He seemed quite mature and respectable. The affection he showed towards his women and family seemed rather genuine. He is nothing like the immoral and power-hungry villain Nie Li tried to paint him as.”

“Nie Li did go overboard last time. What do you think I should do, father?”

“You can talk to Ziyun but don’t force her to agree. Then, just tell Nie Li that Ziyun isn’t ready. I don’t think Nie Li wants to tear our faces away at this point in time. Once Ziyun goes to her own sect in draconic ruins realm, she will have a chance to make her own path away from Nie Li’s influence. We will support whatever decision she makes at that time.”

“Yes, father. I will do as you say.”

Ye Zhong replied as he was feeling rather complex inside.

33