Chapter 54
496 1 24
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It wasn't that far-fetched. Darius had literally held a tome boredly and turned it into a perfect quality manual where just reading half of it had successfully increased Foldo's Intellect stat by 2 points, bringing him to 19. 

Darius estimated that once his first apprentice hit 20 in that stat, he could try for the Journeyman stage. Of course, Foldo had no numerical value to measure his Intellect, as that was unique to the Supreme System. 

However, Darius was still greatly envious. Foldo and other denizens of Faust could grow their stats organically by reading spell tomes and learning/practicing spells.

On the other hand, it didn't matter how talented Darius could have been or if he could have raised his Intellect organically faster on his own. Caesar had bluntly told him that he would forego all organic growth for artificial growth with Ability Points.

Darius was tied to the system and its rules, good and bad. Of course, he couldn't complain as this very same system had also allowed him to reach 50 points Intellect in the span of 7 days, a feat that no amount of organic growth would ever be able to emulate.

In case he had been a rare genius that only appeared once every millennium, it should have still taken Darius weeks and months to reach his current level, not to mention years or decades if he would have just been averagely talented. 

"Stand Foldo, and hear my name. I am Darius Stone, your master in this life and forevermore. See to it that my will is carried out." Darius said as he removed his cloak to let his first follower glimpse at his face. 

Foldo's face twisted in even more shock as he began to sweat profusely. "So young… so talented… my god!"

Darius once again saw the fellow's affection increase, this time to worship level 2. Foldo was almost feverish with glee as he felt that all his suffering in life had led to this single moment, this single choice that would liberate him from his trappings. 

This 13-year-old master of his, at such a tender age, had enough Mind Power to rival an Adept Mage. If he was already so talented what would happen in a couple of years when his master turned 18, what kind of power would he have? Master? Grandmaster?

And he was his first follower! Foldo quelled his excitement as he remembered the kind of person Darius was. Cruel, pragmatic, and evil from the plan he outlined earlier, he was someone to be made an ally, never an enemy. 

Foldo engraved that into his heart and rose to his feet. "Master Darius, is there anything you need in particular? Any tome, service, or good that would interest you?"

Darius remembered that Foldo was a smuggler and a bandit who used to manage a black market, so he would definitely have some good items.

"Right, let me see your inventory. Oh, and do you happen to have any slaves?" Darius asked with a pleased smile.

Foldo nodded. "Yes, Master Darius. We have captured some guards, and ladies from various raids to be sold in the slave market in Ando City. Would you like to peruse them first?"

Darius shook his head. "No rush, let's take our time. First, take me through your selection of rarest goods. One thing I should make clear is that I also dabble in Itemancing."

Foldo had a questioning expression. "Uh… huh. An Itemancer?"

Darius grinned and turned back to Foldo who was following behind him slowly. "Think of it as the highest level of an appraiser. There is nothing I cannot see the true value of, hence why I asked to see your rarest and most bizarre goods."

Foldo shook visibly. An appraiser! God, he's an appraiser too?! Just what was the limit of his current master at a mere age of 13? 

Appraisers were rare and very difficult to contract since there were endless items that needed appraising but not enough people who stably could. 

This was true. The Itemancer class was a Supreme class not because of his Transmutation Ability or the System Brand. Those were just extras that Vena had gifted Darius to begin his journey, and they could easily have come out as something else. 

So what qualified an Itemancer to be a Supreme class? It was the Analyze skill and its superiority! Even if Darius had never gained a subclass, he could have simply headed straight to one of the towns or cities and opened an appraisal shop.

Given his ability, within a month he would have been guaranteed to become richer than most nobles, at which point he could have chosen to awaken using a Scroll of Awakening.

Naturally, with his guaranteed level of wealth, he could have similarly gained a combat class 'spark' through potions or other means.

Faust was a world of magic, containing a variety of continents with different climates, traditions, and creations, so there were bound to be unique things in circulation that no one else could identify. 

The simple plate an old lady kept in her tea set could actually turn out to be a Void Dimension plate that allowed a user to create a small sub-space to which only the user would know the co-ordinates. 

The rusty axe of a weapon vendor inside a city could perhaps hide the secret of a Weapon Art on the same level as the Darius' Lancer Arts. The possibilities were endless! 

This was why Foldo was excited, for he had many unknown items that his clients had refused to buy because nobody actually knew what they did. 

All contraband was intrinsically valuable, but without the know-how how to use certain items, especially with the scarcity of appraisers, those clients would end up with nothing but decorative trinkets. 

The duo returned to the pantry and climbed up the stairs to enter Foldo's office located near the northernmost end of the building. Upon entry to his office, Darius seated himself on the visitor's couch while Foldo had some servants prepare refreshments. 

"Inform everyone that they are to resume their livelihoods. This person here is my new mage Master, a powerful Adept mage who wishes to use our establishment for his own goals. If you see him, always adhere to his orders as he is to me, what I am to you." Foldo informed the servants. "No, tell them to treat him with even more respect than me!"

The servants shook and bowed to Darius. They were also astounded at seeing such a young Adept mage, yet simultaneously felt excited for this was a very powerful backing they had acquired! 

Once they left, Foldo personally served Darius some tea and prepared a plate of biscuits for him as the older man sat across. From within his suit jacket, he pulled out a small leather pouch that looked like it could barely hold a few coins. 

He gently placed it on the table as Darius lazily Inspected the pouch out of habit.

24