Chapter 64
376 1 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the center of the cavern was a large coffin that was made of what looked like mahogany, only that it was painted black. What silenced Gunner and Darius was the fact that the coffin was chained tightly by silver bindings as well as a large lock. 

Sharing a look, both Darius and Gunner approached the coffin. They observed it for a bit before checking out the rest of the small cavern which was mostly barren except for this coffin that lay on a pedestal.

Darius first Inspected it. 

[Strange Coffin - Miscellaneous

Durability: ?/?

Description: A coffin radiating a startling amount of malevolence and death energy. It is advisable not to approach it, much less attempt to unseal it.]

Darius scoffed at the weak and rather unsatisfactory utility of the Inspect system mechanic and used his Analyze skill instead, deciding henceforth to never bother with Inspect ever again.

[Coffin of Lord Darm - Event

Durability: 1,000,000/1,000,000

Description: The sealing ground of the evil vampire Lord Darm. This cave has been abandoned by humans and monsters alike for many decades. Do not stay too long around the coffin, otherwise the residual spirit of its owner might influence you to unseal him by any means necessary.

Event details: Unsealing the coffin will activate the first upgrade of the Supreme System and the 'Quests', as well as 'Events' menus, will become available. Until this upgrade is done, the details of the event cannot be displayed.]

Darius shared these details with Gunner and the duo shared a look. Simultaneously, they both exited the cave. Once outside, Darius, with the help of Gunner, used various tree logs to block the entrance of the cave even further. 

The duo then left the clearing and never looked back once. 

* * *

Darius was currently lounging in his bedroom, reading a book about the political factions in the Andrato Kingdom specifically. Gunner was also in the room, performing stretching exercises as well as doing push-ups and sit-ups.

While he could not gain any extra muscle mass this way, it at least helped keep him active and passed the time. When he proceeded to do handstands with ease, even Darius took a look. 

A week had passed since Darius had acquired his first Branded Servant, and the duo had grown significantly stronger since then. Darius had created many skill manuals for Gunner that allowed him to make use of his class, while Darius also increased his own repertoire. 

Darius had also made 8 Scrolls of Awakening in this time, which was what prevented him from making more House Portal Scrolls, or really anything else apart from a few skills a day. 

Heck, without Foldo's provided empty spell manuals, Darius wouldn't have even been able to make spells for himself!

Darius had gained three levels since then and Gunner had gained 5. It was simply too hard to find strong foes who gave experience that was abusable by the exp share mechanic. 

It was a mixture of the fact that Gunner's level kept rising while Darius's did as well, as well as the fact that the Plains of the Green were not housing anything too dangerous. 

Darius was really looking forward to hitting the town and trying out a dungeon. His and Gunner's combat capabilities would truly be best tested in such a scenario. 

Darius sighed and closed his book, his mood for reading gone. Whether it was an effect of a young body or his own brewing anticipation for the future, he was becoming restless as he waited for Foldo to execute the plan. 

Darius opted to boredly watch Gunner kill himself through exercise until he heard the rushed pattering of feet. His door suddenly burst open to reveal a sweaty and fearful Portia, who was too panicked to even notice that both Darius and Gunner were merely half-dressed. 

"M-Master Darius! You have to escape! All three bandit groups are attacking the homestead… along with… along with monsters!" Portia explained hurriedly. 

Darius and Gunner shared a look before the duo proceeded to get properly dressed. Only now did Portia notice such a thing as she blushed and turned around. 

However, hearing the commotion outside reminded her of why she had come as the fear set in once more. "Master Darius, please hurry. There is a backdoor escape route my father put in place for our family, I can lead you through!"

Darius paused as he dressed. His eyebrows furrowed as he turned to Portia and his eyes gleamed in a way Portia had never seen before. 

"Are you serious? You would take me through an escape route made specifically for your family?" Darius asked her gravely.

Portia paused for a second and nodded, confused as to why Darius seemed displeased with her providing a safe way to escape for him. "Erm, yes?"

Darius finished dressing and folded his arms with amusement on his face. "What about your father and brother?"

Portia froze for a second as a metaphorical light bulb flashed over her head. Seeing this, Darius sighed internally but asked her once more: "So your first thought during a crisis has not been to secure your father and brother, but a stranger who is just passing through. Why?"

Portia suddenly became tongue-tied. She sort of knew why she ran to Darius first, yet she was too embarrassed to say it lest this young noble be repulsed by her, for this whole topic was ultimately an awkward one.

Exactly as Darius had caller her out for, she had forgone her family's safety to check on someone who should merely be a stranger, even going so far to secure their safety. Portia knew that if she blurted out the reason, she would never have any dignity left for herself in this world.

Darius and Gunner shared a look before the former smiled then grasped Portia by the shoulders.

"Portia. Sit in this room, right on my sofa, and wait for me. Don't wait for me in the sense that I will be coming to help you escape."

Darius' eyes flashed as Portia found herself drawn into those hazel orbs of intelligence and control. 

"Wait for me in the sense that I shall destroy whatever threatens the safety of you and this homestead, as I shall return… triumphant!"

21